OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 03:27:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Led You To Orthodoxy?  (Read 6403 times) Average Rating: 0
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2013, 05:16:57 PM »

Just quietly being Orthodox really is a huge part of it. Of course the person also has to be looking for something.

Thanks Alveus. This is something that gets repeated a lot but I was skeptical of it.
The person doesn't always have to be looking for something.  I just stumbled upon Orthodoxy in the Encyclopedia Britannica.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2013, 05:19:23 PM »

The best way to witness is the way we live our lives. Troy Polamalu strikes me as a man of peace, grace, and humility. One Google search to the next and I began to learn about Orthodox history, theology, found Orthodoxsermons.org, and this web site as well. I soon realized the ‘ancient Church’ John Wesley referenced and revered is very much still alive and doing well!!
yep. a few millions would bring anyone some peace, grace and humility.
if that were true, the suicide rate would not go up with income.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2013, 05:21:48 PM »

The best way to witness is the way we live our lives. Troy Polamalu strikes me as a man of peace, grace, and humility. One Google search to the next and I began to learn about Orthodox history, theology, found Orthodoxsermons.org, and this web site as well. I soon realized the ‘ancient Church’ John Wesley referenced and revered is very much still alive and doing well!!
yep. a few millions would bring anyone some peace, grace and humility.
if that were true, the suicide rate would not go up with income.
Mo' money, mo' problems

Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 
DeniseDenise
Protokentarchos

Pre-heating the Oven!

« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2013, 07:03:18 PM »

My mothers side of the family are Russian sectarians, who split off from Orthodoxy somewhere in the 17th century.

I don't 'belong' there because my mother married an outsider (big no no), so it's not as if i am leaving that for Orthodoxy, but background wise, its that and you tend to know the history etc, of the things you are -not- in order to find more about where things came from...

et voila...

katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2013, 10:03:01 AM »

Just quietly being Orthodox really is a huge part of it. Of course the person also has to be looking for something.

Thanks Alveus. This is something that gets repeated a lot but I was skeptical of it.
The person doesn't always have to be looking for something.  I just stumbled upon Orthodoxy in the Encyclopedia Britannica.

Me neither. I wasn't consciously looking for it - it just smacked me in the face when I started seriously reading Church history. My first reaction was, "does anyone else know about this?!!!??"

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #95 on: July 31, 2013, 10:24:24 AM »

I was looking at Youtube videos.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2013, 10:50:05 AM »

Me neither. I wasn't consciously looking for it - it just smacked me in the face when I started seriously reading Church history. My first reaction was, "does anyone else know about this?!!!??"
So true.  Reminds me of the GK Chesterton quote:

“I did try to found a little heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy.”
― G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy

(of course, he interpreted that to mean the RC Church)

oldgoat2013
Just an Old Goat

Faith: Pentacostal (at present)

« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2013, 11:45:02 AM »

I was intrigued by the early church fathers but never read them.  One day I searched for ""Byzantine Chants" on YouTube and found I loved them.  One thing lead to another and I began reading about Orthodoxy and began reading the "Fathers."  It began snowballing after that.  I discovered a former student of mine and her family converted to Orthodoxy and so I began talking with her about it. She directed me to her father and my journey really began to take off

Years ago, many years ago, I saw a documentary about the Orthodox Church on TV.  I don't remember much about the program, but Orthodoxy had been planted into the back of my mind as interesting.

I am still learning and growing.

Old Goat

Life is like a glass of root beer;
Let it sit too long and it loses all its fizz!
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2013, 03:52:30 PM »

“I did try to found a little heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy.”

In fact, he just meant traditional Trinitarian Chrisianity in general. He was still an Anglican when he wrote Orthodoxy.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2013, 03:54:29 PM »

In fact, he just meant traditional Trinitarian Chrisianity in general. He was still an Anglican when he wrote Orthodoxy.
Good ol' GK, he came so close, but yet so far away...  Grin

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2013, 03:55:45 PM »

Good ol' GK, he came so close, but yet so far away...  Grin
Convert issues thread, so i'll just  Cheesy

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2013, 04:00:02 PM »

Ooops!  I just realized that.  Sorry everyone!  Embarrassed

GK Chesterton was one of the finest writers though. He had a distinct ability to distill complex concepts into one sentence.

RehamG
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2013, 09:35:05 PM »

The biggest thing would be Islam; I spent most of my Muslim years not knowing just how much Islam took from the early Christians. Only after questioning my 'faith' as well as myself and some light prodding from others did I do some real searching and found out that truth. Maybe it is bad to say this, but had I never spent those years as a Muslim, and in turn later questioned Islam then I could have easily remained ignorant about Orthodoxy.

Also my Coptic penpal at that time. When I literally feared going to any Church over being seen by other Muslims who knew me(crazy sounding but I attended a salafi mosque), he made it his job to get me as much information as possible.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 09:37:34 PM by rebecca.ann » Logged

"A humble man who lives a spiritual life, when he reads the Holy Scriptures, will relate all things to himself and not to others.”

– St. Mark the Ascetic, Sermon, 1.6
Misplaced Book
NO LONGER POSTING HERE

Jurisdiction: Constantinople

« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2013, 04:30:47 AM »

First post, I figured I would start here.

It was actually the Catholic Answers Forum that lead me to Orthodoxy.   Reading the different posts around here it seems I'm not alone in that.   I was in the Latin Church for years but I could no longer ignore the Truth.   

Hello to everyone.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #104 on: August 05, 2013, 05:35:25 PM »

welcome, misplaced book!
may God guide you.
 Smiley
Misplaced Book
NO LONGER POSTING HERE

Jurisdiction: Constantinople

« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2013, 10:31:38 AM »

Thank you  Smiley
CrystalMind

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #106 on: August 07, 2013, 11:57:54 PM »

I was looking for a way to live a life of prayer, and stumbled on a website with a beginner's prayer rule. XD

...as they say, the rest of the story pretty much tells itself. Casual reading lead to serious research, which lead to actually tracking down a parish in my area, etc.
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #107 on: August 08, 2013, 01:58:19 AM »

I pretty much gave up on Christianity because I came to the realization that the Protestant faith had so many holes as well as operating in a fashion that contradicted the bible in so many ways. At one point I just stopped going to church when I could no longer take stepping into a church. I remember thinking how weird it was to still believe in Christ, but found his modern day church to be nothing like how I imagined the early church was. I never really thought about Orthodoxy because I grew up believing that I was in the true church. Long story short, Christ through various means brought me back into his fold where I discovered the true faith. 

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2013, 07:41:37 AM »

An icon of St. George, a Trappist monastery, and then the rabbit hole of history.

Nikolaos Greek
Last among equals

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Greece

« Reply #109 on: August 12, 2013, 05:27:49 PM »

Oh how great is the love of God. God forgive us because after your call we still sin and make you cry.
At the hardest moment of my lfie until now I asked Him '' Lord are you with Me?'' And He answered. And Mother Mary sent me to her church.
Oh and I am still the worst, how much You love us God and how bad we are and yet we are humble not.
My brothers God brought us? But He may wants to bring some other brothers through us... With no force but with Love. Amen.

God is Love.
Ό Θεός ἀγάπη ἐστί.
There is no luck, there is no fate. There are always two ways. One is God's and one is devil's. And in each step of your life you have to pick one, always.
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2013, 06:10:38 PM »

Finding out the claims of Orthodoxy, realizing that the Solae are un-biblical and I went from there. Being a Protestant who confesses "Christianity", and whatever that umbrella term envelops, you just sort of assume everybody feels the same way as you do about Christianity and that everyone is a Christian with just a different way of expressing it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:21:59 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2013, 06:17:47 PM »

It was actually the Catholic Answers Forum that lead me to Orthodoxy.

It was some of their tracts and literature that actually turned me off of Catholicism, lots of it is completely made up, and even though they present it in a way that "seems" professional, it's usually just irrelevant material or completely ripped out of context.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
VarangianGuard

« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2013, 02:10:14 AM »

Very roughly and very short:

I could no longer defend Catholicism. Realizing that the 4 last Popes are actually a part of the Magisterium, and not being able to reconcile teachings from before VII and post VII, led me to seek out the only other  Christian church with ancient credentials and a claim to be the True Church.
Didyma
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

I am not nice!

« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2013, 02:50:20 PM »

I wanted a unified, sacramental Church, but I didn't want to be Roman Catholic.  I was reminded of the Orthodox church's existence by a documentary on Yugoslavia, Orthodox chant on Youtube, and Anna Karenina.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 02:52:51 PM by Didyma » Logged

.- -. -.. / --. --- -.. / ... .... .- .-.. .-.. / .-- .. .--. . / .- .-- .- -.-- / .- .-.. .-.. / - . .- .-. ... / ..-. .-. --- -- / - .... . .. .-. / . -.-- . ...
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: