OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 08:58:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Led You To Orthodoxy?  (Read 6066 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« on: February 15, 2013, 09:05:01 AM »

In another thread:

We should do a census of what spurred the conversion non-Orthodox, to Orthodoxy.  Just what was that initial spark of interest.  Then we could light that same spark in others.

So without going into a whole essay about it or telling your "conversion story," just simply in a paragraph or two, what led you to Orthodoxy? (If possible try to keep in mind what would be relevant as far as how the results could be reproduced and help others.)

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 09:23:07 AM »

The Chicago Police Department.

And of course a lot of study.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 11:14:34 AM »

The Lutheran Church's discernment process for the ordained ministry.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 11:54:05 AM »

I looked into Roman Catholicism, and by chance learned about Orthodoxy.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 11:57:05 AM »

The Way of a Pilgrim and The Pilgrim Continues His Way

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
icecreamsandwich
Likely perpetual neophyte

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 12:06:37 PM »

Long story short - the lack of a cross in our old church.

Please correct me if I'm wrong - I'm still learning as I go along.
choy
Archon

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 12:07:55 PM »

I've always had a curiosity about Orthodoxy from the first time I got a whiff of it.  At some point as I learned more the Truth became obvious and irresistible.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 12:13:43 PM »

I became convinced, mostly through the Scripture, that Christ had founded a Church, and that it was meant to be an ongoing, visible thing. I began searching, mostly on the internet at first, and came across Orthodoxy as one of the options.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 12:45:03 PM »

Well, I'm not exactly Orthodox anymore so this is probably irrelevant, but for me it was quite simply the bible. The only churches that match what is described in Bible are the Catholic church, EO and OO.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 12:51:33 PM »

I got tired or how so many of my Protestant friends (and myself a long time ago) bashed Catholics and their beliefs, so I did a little research for myself to see if these claims were true. They werent. And I found out about Orthodoxy along the way.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 12:51:46 PM »

Through the scriptures, prayers and being in the western parth of the church for 2 1/2 I did realize that the church that Christ had founded was and is indeed the true church with it fullness, tradition and a strong link between heaven and earth and human and God.

I spent time asking and chatting with many orthodox people online, watch clips of the liturgy and began reading. On may 5th 2012 I attended my first vigil and have never looked back since. It has been a learningfilled way so far with ups and downs (as expected).

So what do I think so far? Home! Love! Fullness. It is the best way to describe it.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 12:54:12 PM »

My wife got pregnant.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 01:00:36 PM »

I wanted to find the original church, not some Johnny-come-lately understanding of how folks think it was.

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 01:03:55 PM »

My wife got pregnant.

Takes note: one good evangelism method is someone getting pregnant.  This is the kind of [evangelism] I can get behind! (double entendre removed)

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 01:57:48 PM »

My wife got pregnant.

Takes note: one good evangelism method is someone getting pregnant.  This is the kind of [evangelism] I can get behind! (double entendre removed)
Removed?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 01:59:54 PM »

My wife got pregnant.

Removed?

I didn't think anyone would have their mind in the gutter and find the other one. You people let me down.

The original statement was: "This is the kind of missionary work I can get behind. Wait, that's not right..."

Rdunbar123

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 03:10:52 PM »

Cradle  RC, started looking in to the issue of authority based on history, mainly as a matter of apologetics to protestants, became convinced of the truth of Orthodoxy.
choy
Archon

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 03:20:41 PM »

Cradle  RC, started looking in to the issue of authority based on history, mainly as a matter of apologetics to protestants, became convinced of the truth of Orthodoxy.

Interesting that some RCs, upon learning I have left the RCChurch (or communion with it, being EC for the last 2 years), ask me if someone didn't explain the faith well to me which is why I left.  I wonder how they would react if Orthodoxy was explained well to them.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 03:23:30 PM »

I wanted to find a home.

WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Archon

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 04:29:22 PM »

The prospect of finding a new church
Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2013, 04:37:37 PM »

What led me to Orthodoxy?  Christ and Philokalia

Previous unchurched, had personal epiphany of Christ that removed any doubt and filled me with love of God.  Quite an unforgettable and unmistakeably powerful experience. Was alone and prayed a heartfelt prayer to Christ, in whom I hadn't believed, and forgave everyone in my life as far as I possibly could.  Then five years of making horrible mistakes (living by secular mores) and watched myself descend back into hell on earth.  Thought I should maybe try to learn how to be a Christian, though I was never a joiner and didn't like groups, started praying for God to help me find a church and began looking.  
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 04:41:29 PM »

It was historically established by the Apostles and everything else was born from schism. I figured that the most logical thing to do was join the oldest Church since they were probably most likely to be the most original and authentic.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 04:51:37 PM »

The Eastern Catholicism subforum on CAF. Thank you Cavaradossi.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 04:51:48 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume,
labuntur anni"
-Horace, Odes II:14
choy
Archon

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 04:57:53 PM »

The Eastern Catholicism subforum on CAF. Thank you Cavaradossi.

Me it was the Traditional Subforum.
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 04:59:14 PM »

While I am not a convert what struck my initial ‘interest’ was a football article. Don’t laugh Wink I’m a Steeler fan.

The best way to witness is the way we live our lives. Troy Polamalu strikes me as a man of peace, grace, and humility. One Google search to the next and I began to learn about Orthodox history, theology, found Orthodoxsermons.org, and this web site as well. I soon realized the ‘ancient Church’ John Wesley referenced and revered is very much still alive and doing well!!

As I continue to learn I continue to find appreciation and though I have not felt God has led me to convert at this point Orthodoxy has already made a wonderful difference in my (and my families) spiritual life. My daughter has recently become a catechuman in fact. Glory be to God.

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 05:13:30 PM »

I would also like to add that discussions on a much-a-like forum like this in the western church and help, info and useful advices in different ways from Choy, cavardossi and dzheremi.

At a given time I must have driven them to the edge with all my questions (born curious).

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 05:59:56 PM »

I wonder how they would react if Orthodoxy was explained well to them.

Probably like you did  Wink!

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 06:05:48 PM »

What led me to Orthodoxy?

This road in front of the church parking lot.

laugh

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
choy
Archon

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 06:51:55 PM »

I wonder how they would react if Orthodoxy was explained well to them.

Probably like you did  Wink!

I'm not sure right now if that is a good thing or a bad thing Tongue
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2013, 07:41:37 PM »

The best way to witness is the way we live our lives. Troy Polamalu strikes me as a man of peace, grace, and humility. One Google search to the next and I began to learn about Orthodox history, theology, found Orthodoxsermons.org, and this web site as well. I soon realized the ‘ancient Church’ John Wesley referenced and revered is very much still alive and doing well!!
yep. a few millions would bring anyone some peace, grace and humility.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2013, 08:14:21 PM »

yep. a few millions would bring anyone some peace, grace and humility.

Not sure if srs...

Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2013, 08:43:08 PM »

Troy Polamalu strikes me as a man of peace, grace, and humility.

If you were coming across the middle on against the Steeler defense, I don't think you find these virtues of Mr. Polamalu to appealing at that time.  Grin

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
choy
Archon

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2013, 09:07:07 PM »

Troy Polamalu strikes me as a man of peace, grace, and humility.

If you were coming across the middle on against the Steeler defense, I don't think you find these virtues of Mr. Polamalu to appealing at that time.  Grin

He is praying for your wellbeing just as he is about to take you down  Grin Grin Grin
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2013, 12:27:41 AM »

The Brothers Karamazov

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Margarita
One

Faith: The Way
Jurisdiction: Texan

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2013, 03:34:36 AM »

A neverending TransAtlantic seeking of I Am, the practice of Roman Catholicism (and Islam), and reading Coniaris's Introducing the Orthodox Church.  Finally the first visitation&participation of Divine Litgury.  After which, I have never stopped attending.  Catechism class just finished up earlier this month, and it looks like I may be recieved into the Church 6 months ahead of what I had intended.

I have meet a number of Roman Catholics both of the Latin&Eastern rite.  There is common thread woven between them all (myself included), prior to converting to Orthodoxy.  They were all engaged in an authenic search for truth, healing truth, they were thristy&willing to pay whatever the price for this truth.  Open, ready, searching&looking for the way made clear, they were. 

Not to say this isn't so with others, just what I have noticed in fellow RC converts.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2013, 03:43:54 AM »

My goal was to find the original Church, if it still existed.  I realized 90% of the hoopla spawned by religion today is inadequate and personal opinion.  I wanted to shed myself of these infections and find what was taught by Jesus, the Apostles, the first Christians.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 03:47:37 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2013, 08:52:06 PM »

A long search for the Early and original Christian Church ended with us becoming Orthodox.

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2013, 09:22:22 PM »

Temporally-speaking, Roman Catholicism. Spiritually-speaking, God. Smiley

Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2013, 12:40:29 AM »

I think I attended a Catholic wedding that I barely remember as a young child. I had an Antiochian Orthodox boss and made plans some non-Protetestant Holy Week church visits with an Eastern Catholic friend. Also, I am part Armenian and just can't get past the Pope, but Orthodox theology feels healthier than Catholic theology, more like breathing when it is applied to my life than when I used to read Catholic theology which is more like law and intellectual stuff-I love that about Orthodoxy, especially Oriental Orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 12:43:28 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2013, 12:57:48 PM »

Atheism/atheists, GK Chesterton, Dostoevsky, MetropolitanKallistos (Ware). In that order.

Entry corrected to show the appropriate title for the clergy noted in your response. Please remember all clergy should be addressed by their appropriate title. Thanks Thomas Convert Issues Forum Moderator.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 01:11:16 AM by Thomas » Logged
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2013, 02:51:26 PM »

being open to which Christian groups were acceptable (i.e. not just protestants!) then a muslim friend telling me i should visit his friend's coptic orthodox church.

i like the other stories in this thread, we should ask them to write more!
Nathanael

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2013, 03:32:47 PM »

-some orthodox saints, who for me represent the best possible 'fruits'
-the humble and meek face, which you can see in some faces of orthodox people, especially on monks.
-the feeling of daily repentance and contrition in orthodox spirituality. I'm convinced that only in orthodoxy you can experience the fullness of the light of Christ which causes strong contrition in your heart.
-The parable of the Pharisee and the Publican. I've found only in orthodoxy so many people who are praying in the way of the publican- daily!
-some conversion stories
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 03:34:03 PM by Nathanael » Logged

"Orthodoxy is the very nature of man" - Father Rafail Noica
Knee V

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2013, 12:58:12 AM »

Like Nephi, studying Catholicism led me to Orthodoxy.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2013, 01:06:52 AM »

While I am not a convert what struck my initial ‘interest’ was a football article. Don’t laugh Wink I’m a Steeler fan.

As I continue to learn I continue to find appreciation and though I have not felt God has led me to convert at this point Orthodoxy has already made a wonderful difference in my (and my families) spiritual life. My daughter has recently become a catechuman in fact. Glory be to God.
Really? Because the prospect of sharing a religion with a Pittsburgh Steeler is one of the biggest obstacles in my study.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2013, 09:04:08 AM »

Really? Because the prospect of sharing a religion with a Pittsburgh Steeler is one of the biggest obstacles in my study.

Hmmm… I was going to accuse you of being from Cleveland with that comment except a devout Browns fan wouldn’t even think about sharing the Gospel w/ a Steeler. I would say you’re a Raven who would deceptively share the Word, but they just won the Super Bowl. That leaves Cincinnati, yea, that’s it, hugh? You must be a too oft forgotten Bengals fan.  Wink

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: