OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 10:33:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meteorite Streaks Across Russian Urals, Leaves At Least 400 Injured  (Read 1871 times) Average Rating: 5
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2013, 05:00:28 PM »

IOW, you have no argument. Of course language changes, but it changes amid discord. In your absurd notion of language change, you would poll all speakers of a language (if you could decide who is a speaker of a language) then at some point of majority usage language would have changed. One speaker fewer, no change.

Sorry but your entire approach to this is riddled with so many ontological problems regarding language and otherwise.

Really? You got all of that out of "Languages change. Get over it"?

Internet forums have the tendency to attract people who are extremely pedantic (or should I say, "online personalities" who are extremely pedantic).

Because there are so many more on the internet who are children who need to be led.

Speck, meet plank.

I would agree with you in the relative degree to which the respective posters need led.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2013, 05:32:06 PM »

Even though the meteorite was not connected to the asteroid that is approaching Earth today, it does raise issues about humanity's plan in case an asteroid does have Earth in its sights. (Tyson also tweeted that the asteroid will one day hit Earth, for sure. Not clear where he got his information, though.)
What gets me is the CNN reporter who recently asked Bill Nye, "The Science Guy", if the asteroid passing by the earth today was caused by global warming.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/02/11/cnn-anchor-blames-asteroid-on-global-warming/

Roll Eyes Lord have mercy. Paraphrasing C.S. Lewis in the Chronicles of Narnia: What are they teaching youngsters today?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 05:32:26 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
choy
Archon

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2013, 05:46:55 PM »

Even though the meteorite was not connected to the asteroid that is approaching Earth today, it does raise issues about humanity's plan in case an asteroid does have Earth in its sights. (Tyson also tweeted that the asteroid will one day hit Earth, for sure. Not clear where he got his information, though.)
What gets me is the CNN reporter who recently asked Bill Nye, "The Science Guy", if the asteroid passing by the earth today was caused by global warming.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/02/11/cnn-anchor-blames-asteroid-on-global-warming/

Roll Eyes Lord have mercy. Paraphrasing C.S. Lewis in the Chronicles of Narnia: What are they teaching youngsters today?

Or better yet, what are they not.
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2013, 06:29:42 PM »

IOW, you have no argument. Of course language changes, but it changes amid discord. In your absurd notion of language change, you would poll all speakers of a language (if you could decide who is a speaker of a language) then at some point of majority usage language would have changed. One speaker fewer, no change.

Sorry but your entire approach to this is riddled with so many ontological problems regarding language and otherwise.

Internet forums have the tendency to attract people who are extremely pedantic (or should I say, "online personalities" who are extremely pedantic).

Because there are so many more on the internet who are children who need to be led.

Hurray for condescending paternalism!
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2013, 12:17:52 AM »

It's kinda funny that an anonymous Russian military source claimed they shot it down (which was denied on an official level). That statement apparently has no factual basis or support and simply came from a local newspaper quoting an anonymous source, which was later refuted by officials.

That does bring up a good idea though, with technology like this:

CRAM Phalanx Anti-Missile Defense:
http://youtu.be/qLmBfWowLhg
http://youtu.be/ILcVt9p7cug

MTHEL Laser Anti-Missile Defense:
http://youtu.be/LThD0FMvTFU

RAFAEL's Trophy System:
http://youtu.be/-2IqZhonKzU

I wonder if we could eventually develop it to a point where instead of intercepting a 15lb missile going 115m/s, you could intercept a solid, several-thousand ton object going 15km/s. Obviously that probably is a long way off technology-wise. But I think it definitely would be something we need to think about.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2013, 12:43:52 AM »

Not much with language are you?

Don't call me something then get upset when I agree.

Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2013, 12:52:20 AM »

Interesting that this happened on the day that all our attention was focused on the little asteroid which passed by some odd hours later.  The meteor sneaked up on us. Undecided
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2013, 12:53:42 AM »

Interesting that this happened on the day that all our attention was focused on the little asteroid which passed by some odd hours later.  The meteor sneaked up on us. Undecided

Ironic, ain't it?

Gamliel
Archon

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2013, 01:06:20 AM »

Ironic, ain't it?
Yes, and considering the mass of the asteroid, it would not surprise me if it had a considerable amount of ironic in it.

choy
Archon

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2013, 02:59:24 AM »

Ironic, ain't it?
Yes, and considering the mass of the asteroid, it would not surprise me if it had a considerable amount of ironic in it.

Careful, your play on words might be misconstrued as an assault on the English language.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2013, 03:18:08 AM »

Of course I do!

^---------That is irony.

No, that is sarcasm.

It is pretty much all he appears to be able to contribute.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2013, 03:19:16 AM »

So what does your tangent on linguistics have to do with the topic of this thread? Is the sky going to fall on us if we don't have a proper understanding of language?

This is what Chicken Little told me.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2013, 03:23:34 AM »

I know.  Is global warming to blame for winter blizzards? Roll Eyes

Also, what is a "meteoric occasion"?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 03:33:01 AM by Kerdy » Logged
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2013, 05:33:07 AM »

Sure glad it wasn't my country; we're already killing ourselves through morbid obesity.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2013, 05:34:48 AM »

Of course I do!

^---------That is irony.

No, that is sarcasm.

It is pretty much all he appears to be able to contribute.

How ironic

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2013, 09:06:38 AM »

So you think that the change in Climate has nothing to do with extreme weather conditions?
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2013, 09:34:27 AM »

So you think that the change in Climate has nothing to do with extreme weather conditions?

I think it has to do with winter.
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2013, 11:19:37 AM »

Not much with language are you?

Don't call me something then get upset when I agree.

It's not your agreeing that "upsets" me, it's your rationale.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2013, 01:26:02 PM »

Ironic, ain't it?

Careful, your play on words might be misconstrued as an assault on the English language.
I like to pepper my posts with puns. Assaulting tends to lead to high blood pressure.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2013, 03:52:44 PM »

I learned what irony is from Alanis Morisette.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2013, 03:52:44 PM »

Ironic, ain't it?

I like to pepper my posts with puns. Assaulting tends to lead to high blood pressure.
Mayo please stop making me laugh so hard

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2013, 06:42:05 PM »

Sure glad it wasn't my country; we're already killing ourselves through morbid obesity.

Morbid obesity + Meteoric occasion = Massive morbid mortality

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2013, 11:35:20 PM »

Morbid obesity + Meteoric occasion = Massive morbid mortality

Wow, what a way to use such wonderful alliteration! Smiley

psalm110
Elder

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2013, 08:23:15 AM »

Where are the aftermath photos of it crashing and landing the last I heard was that it had the strength of 20 Hiroshima bombs is that true ??
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2013, 08:26:18 AM »

Where are the aftermath photos of it crashing and landing the last I heard was that it had the strength of 20 Hiroshima bombs is that true ??

I don't know about the last part, but here's a video showing some of the damage as it happened.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Gamliel
Archon

« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2013, 01:42:47 PM »

I knew the meteor that hit Russia would be interesting, at least to scientists, but I did knot know that chunks would be
THIS interesting:  http://science.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/18/17004414-russian-meteorite-rush-targets-rocks-valued-more-highly-than-gold?lite. Shocked
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2013, 03:37:37 PM »

It exploded 10 km over the ground.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2013, 08:27:11 PM »

So, why won't authorities allow news crews to film the largest piece that landed in the frozen lake?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2013, 08:28:44 PM »

So, why won't authorities allow news crews to film the largest piece that landed in the frozen lake?

It's Holy Russia.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2013, 08:41:41 PM »

Yes....very "holey"....especially where the meteorite hit.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Gamliel
Archon

« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2013, 12:18:00 AM »

Yes....very "holey"....especially where the meteorite hit.
It's wholly holey, isn't it? Wink
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2013, 11:37:59 AM »

Ha ha!  Wink

—St. Isaac of Syria
choy
Archon

« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2013, 12:10:00 PM »

Maybe because... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151265247101006&set=a.166338316005.128909.10573221005&type=1&theater
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: