OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 12:31:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alligator for Lent  (Read 1741 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: February 15, 2013, 08:24:29 AM »

Deus non alligatur? Apparently not.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 08:32:26 AM »

Turtle is (apparently) okay as well.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 08:44:03 AM »

Only in Louisiana...

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 09:02:06 AM »

In the Middle Ages the argument was that poultry might be ok to eat in Lent, because God created birds and sea creatures on the fifth day. Land animals would be too closely related to us since, like us, they were created on the primordial Friday.

Now only God knows on which day he created amphibians and aquatic reptiles! Thursday evening at sunset or Thursday/Friday midnight?
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 09:18:27 AM »

I really, really like 'gator, but it's not for Orthodox fasting as far as I've ever read. Of course in times past the closest the Church could probably have come to alligator was maybe crocodile, an animal I doubt they would have allowed either. I bet the Copts would not allow it.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 09:22:38 AM »

I really, really like 'gator, but it's not for Orthodox fasting as far as I've ever read. Of course in times past the closest the Church could probably have come to alligator was maybe crocodile, an animal I doubt they would have allowed either. I bet the Copts would not allow it.

I've been Orthodox for nigh on 50 years, and never have I heard of any priest or hierarch in my neck of the woods allow croc or gator (or, indeed, any reptile) during Lent. They'd be classified as meat, not fish.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 11:15:40 AM »

I've been Orthodox for nigh on 50 years, and never have I heard of any priest or hierarch in my neck of the woods allow croc or gator (or, indeed, any reptile) during Lent. They'd be classified as meat, not fish.

Because it tastes like chicken?

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 11:20:25 AM »

If it can live out of water, it's meat?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 12:09:38 PM »

Or rather, live out of water and has blood, it's meat.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 12:18:51 PM »

Yup. Got it in one.  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 12:19:14 PM by LBK » Logged
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 12:26:19 PM »

Eugh. I've never gotten why people eat gator its like rancid fat with a hint of armadillo.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 12:26:44 PM by Jason.Wike » Logged
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 12:26:37 PM »

Yet another reason for a unified American Orthodox Church, to settle this important issue.  Wink

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 12:50:36 PM »

Because it tastes like chicken?
Alligator most definitely does not taste like chicken.

I've eaten it, but somewhere along the way I decided no more. Crawfish is OK. Catfish is OK. But alligator is just nasty coonass food.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 01:14:30 PM »

Where do people eat alligator? The Gulf Coast?

I'm leaving for Florida in an hour, will  be able to find some there?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 01:24:08 PM »

If not, you can always find some python.  laugh
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 01:32:41 PM »

I'm leaving for Florida in an hour, will  be able to find some there?
According to the Florida agriculture department, yes.

You generally find alligator eating in Gulf coast/tidewater and bayou/coonass communities in Louisiana and Mississippi (as well as any of the city areas where people still speak Acadian French), and you can buy alligator products such as alligator sausage in grocery stores and meat markets throughout central Louisiana. I am not sure about Alabama.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 01:35:30 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

choy
Archon

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 01:48:02 PM »

I've seen those turtle soup shops in Hong Kong back in the day it was still allowed.  I can't understand how people can eat this thing, I think its penance by itself to force yourself to eat this.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Annie Och

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 01:53:19 PM »

With a pet turtle there is no way I could eat one, Lent or not.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 01:57:28 PM »

I'm leaving for Florida in an hour, will  be able to find some there?
According to the Florida agriculture department, yes.

You generally find alligator eating in Gulf coast/tidewater and bayou/coonass communities in Louisiana and Mississippi (as well as any of the city areas where people still speak Acadian French), and you can buy alligator products such as alligator sausage in grocery stores and meat markets throughout central Louisiana. I am not sure about Alabama.

I prefer my alligators in the form of non- and un-edible shoes, jackets, belts, etc.  They're much nicer looking and longer lasting worn than eaten  Grin Grin.

(Just for the record, I do not actually possess anything made from alligator  Wink.)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 02:08:49 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 03:24:09 PM »

With a pet turtle there is no way I could eat one, Lent or not.

I used to have a pet rabbit. It wasn't preventing me from eating rabbits.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2013, 03:42:19 PM »

I've eaten it, but somewhere along the way I decided no more. Crawfish is OK. Catfish is OK. But alligator is just nasty coonass food.
I had alligator once and thought it was absolutely delicious (not during Lent, lol).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 03:43:34 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 03:59:49 PM »

I had alligator once and thought it was absolutely delicious (not during Lent, lol).
Tastes like dinosaur?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 04:16:48 PM »

Yep. The detractors are all welcomed to my house for MY Alligator in Sauce Piquant, once.
And those who appreciate it, anytime! (Except during lent)  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 04:17:54 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 05:21:21 PM »

During Lent, I cut my steak in the shape of a fish before I grill it.  Sometimes I even call a nice pork tenderloin "land eel".

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 05:25:16 PM »

During Lent, I cut my steak in the shape of a fish before I grill it.  Sometimes I even call a nice pork tenderloin "land eel".

Excellent!!  Love it!

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 07:40:10 PM »

Yep. The detractors are all welcomed to my house for MY Alligator in Sauce Piquant, once.
I might be open to it that way. But I've been burned too many times after being told that I was eating it wrong or somesuch nonsense.

Do you use farm alligator or wild-harvested?

JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 10:22:06 PM »

WHY?
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Annie Och

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 10:26:53 PM »

I used to have a pet rabbit. It wasn't preventing me from eating rabbits.

I guess I would've found eating turtles disgusting before even owning one, whereas that wouldn't be the case with rabbit even though I haven't ate any that I remember.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2013, 12:33:50 AM »

I seem to remember seeing alligator bites as a breaded appetizer once at a beach restaurant in Florida.
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2013, 01:14:22 AM »

Yet another reason for a unified American Orthodox Church, to settle this important issue.  Wink

Yeah, as long as the "american Orthodox Church" isn't headquartered in Syosett, NY.  Oh wait, the head of the autochephalous churches settled that one, it won't be.  But on a lighter note Alligator fry this weekend... sounds ok compared to mystery fish.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2013, 01:32:33 AM »

I might be open to it that way. But I've been burned too many times after being told that I was eating it wrong or somesuch nonsense.

Do you use farm alligator or wild-harvested?

I have used both.

Prefer tail meat ( a whole tail) and Florida over Louisiana, but either will do.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2013, 08:00:06 AM »

I've read somewhere Archbishop Demetrius (Royster) was saying alligators are OK.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »

I have only ever had tail meat.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2013, 08:29:36 PM »

I've read somewhere Archbishop Demetrius (Royster) was saying alligators are OK.

Alligators and Crocodiles are classified as vertebrates as are fish.
Lizards, snakes, and frogs are also vertebrates.

Thus, such animals with backbones should not be allowable during Great Lent unless the bishop grants economia.

Aren't turtles vertebrates?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2013, 08:03:46 AM »

Alligators and Crocodiles are classified as vertebrates as are fish.
Lizards, snakes, and frogs are also vertebrates.

Thus, such animals with backbones should not be allowable during Great Lent unless the bishop grants economia.

Aren't turtles vertebrates?

Yes turtles are vertebrates. 

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: