OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 01:42:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help on choice of books  (Read 1312 times) Average Rating: 0
patricius

I'm a llama!

« on: January 15, 2003, 10:28:37 PM »

I am considering purchasing something on Orthodox Theology and was wondering what was preferred by members here.  Orthodox Dogmatic Theology, Byzantine Theology by Meyendorff, and The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church by Lossky have been at those which I am most torn over.  Without the chance to thumb through them, (in my little town there are no stores which carry such) I have to go by titles, blurbs at online bookstore, and online customer reviews.  So far there is nothing in these to indicate which of these will be more informative.  Does anyone here have any thoughts on these texts?  Is one clearly superior to the other?

Many thanks,

Patrick
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2003, 10:36:15 PM »

Hello Patrick,
    I would suggest going with Orthodox Dogmatic Theology as it is the standard source for Orthodox theology and it has been used for many years as a seminary textbook.  If you want to know about Orthodox theology, then this is the book to get.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2003, 10:22:53 PM »

I would suggest Byzantine Theology by Meyendorff.  It goes through all the historical aspects as well as the doctrinal themes and is a great and very scholarly book.

Lossky is good but you have to read him like 3 times before you get what he's saying.

In Christ,

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
patricius

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2003, 11:16:41 PM »

Many thanks for the information.  I am curious if y'all know which of these two, Orthodox Dogmatic Theology and [iByzantine Theology, covers more ground theologically?  I did notice that the Meyendorff book discussed the history as well, which did intrigue me, but it also made me wonder if it had as much information on the theology end itself.  Does one go into more detail than the other on the general teachings of the Church?

Thanks again,

Patrick
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2003, 11:27:58 AM »

You can read more about and buy a copy of Byzantine Theology here.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: