OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 04:36:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern Jesuits  (Read 536 times) Average Rating: 0
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« on: February 13, 2013, 10:40:10 PM »

The Jesuits, founded by Ignatius of Loyola, were to be militantly obedient to the Pope. They converted much of the world to Rome, and helped greatly to halt the spread of Protestantism in the Reformation. And so on.

Why does it seem like they're now among the most liberal of Catholics? Where did the change occur, or is my experience too limited? An example that comes to mind is the Jesuit John Carroll University, which is controversial for some of its liberal leanings.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 10:43:43 PM »

The Jesuits, founded by Ignatius of Loyola, were to be militantly obedient to the Pope. They converted much of the world to Rome, and helped greatly to halt the spread of Protestantism in the Reformation. And so on.

Why does it seem like they're now among the most liberal of Catholics? Where did the change occur, or is my experience too limited? An example that comes to mind is the Jesuit John Carroll University, which is controversial for some of its liberal leanings.
Could you give examples of J. C. University's liberal leanings?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 11:07:15 PM »

They are the largest Catholic religious order and you will find very conservative Jesuit institutions like Ignatius Press and St Louis U ad liberal ones like Georgetown.  They simply reflect differences in the Catholic Church at large.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 11:07:53 PM »

Could you give examples of J. C. University's liberal leanings?

This comes to mind:

Forty-seven faculty and staff members at John Carroll University, including professors, librarians and at least two members of the administration, signed a letter to the Jesuit college’s president, the Rev. Robert Niehoff.
“We ...  are committed to freedom of conscience and religious liberty,” the faculty wrote, adding that Catholic bishops have the right to “proclaim Catholic teaching vigorously and loudly.”
“However, we also believe that access to contraception is central to the health and well-being of women and children.”

Not the official opinion of the university of course.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 11:09:00 PM »

They are the largest Catholic religious order and you will find very conservative Jesuit institutions like Ignatius Press and St Louis U ad liberal ones like Georgetown.  They simply reflect differences in the Catholic Church at large.

Good to know, especially since I may be going to SLU this fall.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 08:55:40 AM »

They really started going off the rails in the middle of the 20th century. God is punishing them for their faithlessness, and their numbers have utterly collapsed. Once they shrink to a suitable size, they'll start getting more Catholic again. That is already happening in certain corners of the order, particularly the developing world (where even they are growing). There are a significant number of orthodox outliers, some of whom are very well known (like Fr. Joseph Fessio, a student of Joseph Ratzinger and founder of the excellent Ignatius Press, and the fine Fr. Mitch Pacwa, on EWTN).

After this chastisement, I've no doubt they will flourish again. Their founder, St. Ignatius, is a giant in the Catholic Church, and the order has produced many great saints. Its charism is one of those that will last for ages and ages, like the Benedictines or the Franciscans.
jwinch2

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 01:11:31 AM »

They are the largest Catholic religious order and you will find very conservative Jesuit institutions like Ignatius Press and St Louis U ad liberal ones like Georgetown.  They simply reflect differences in the Catholic Church at large.

I'm pretty sure that the Franciscan family far outnumbers the Society of Jesus.  Furthermore, they don't simply reflect the diversity of the Catholic Church.  The fact is that a large portion of the Society got very heavily into Liberation Theology several decades ago and they are still reaping the rotten fruits of that exploration.  While much of what has taken place at Jesuit Universities cannot be blamed on them as in many cases they are no longer really in control, some can be blamed on them as well.  As noted above, there are several faithful and orthodox Jesuits, some of whom have already been mentioned.  You could also add men such as Fr. John Hardon, Fr. Kenneth Baker, Fr. David Meconi, etc. I am sure there are many others living their vacation faithfully without making any sort of waves at all.  However, there are also many who have gone off the path.  In 2008 at their General Congress, Pope Benedict called them to task a bit and told them what he wanted from them.  After taking his words under consideration, they responded with this document in 2010.  
http://www.sjweb.info/35/documents/decrees.pdf

Peace of Christ,

« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 01:14:22 AM by jwinch2 » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 09:44:23 AM »

Just a theory, but I think it has a lot to do with the rationalism that underpinned the Jesuit philosophy. Rationalism in theology usually leads to liberalism. The mystics usually avoid such pitfalls. I realize that this is an overly simplistic and generalized analysis. Just throwing it out there for consideration.

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: