OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 01:51:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fasting, and baptismal cross  (Read 425 times) Average Rating: 0
icecreamsandwich
Likely perpetual neophyte

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: February 13, 2013, 04:02:49 PM »

Hi all Smiley.

I do apologize for bringing up another question on the topic but can't find anything in the topics that have been posted.

I've been a catechumen for several (6 or so) months but haven't yet fasted. The advice I was given by my catechist was to ease into it and don't try and observe it literally at first - just go slow, and do what I can. I've been wanting to start, though, and was fortunate to be able to ask my priest about fasting and he reiterated this. To this end, I'm trying to fast today, and will see how it goes. One thing that I have a concern about and can't seem to find in other threads is that of oil. What is meant by "oil"? I ask because a lot of the food we have has oil in it: even things like mushroom soup, ranch salad dressing, and peanut butter.

Also, what is a baptismal cross for?

Please correct me if I'm wrong - I'm still learning as I go along.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 04:11:54 PM »

Hi.

First of all...don't get too picky in your fasting.  Fasting is meant mostly as a practice of self discipline.  If you spend your whole time worried about the ingredients, reading labels....going over recipes....you've lost the purpose and true meaning of fasting....which is to find peace....to focus your thoughts....to contemplate salvation.....to pray more.....to do more good deeds, etc. Don't get lost in the details of ingredient labels.

I was taught....if you are reading labels....only read the first three items on the ingredients list....everything after that doesn't matter.

Baptismal Cross....is the cross you were given at your baptism. 

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
icecreamsandwich

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 04:25:36 PM »

Hi.

First of all...don't get too picky in your fasting.  Fasting is meant mostly as a practice of self discipline.  If you spend your whole time worried about the ingredients, reading labels....going over recipes....you've lost the purpose and true meaning of fasting....which is to find peace....to focus your thoughts....to contemplate salvation.....to pray more.....to do more good deeds, etc. Don't get lost in the details of ingredient labels.

I was taught....if you are reading labels....only read the first three items on the ingredients list....everything after that doesn't matter.

Baptismal Cross....is the cross you were given at your baptism.

Thank you Smiley. I do intend to be praying more and doing more Bible reading, but as this is for all practical purposes the first fast I've ever done I want to try do the right thing haha.

What do you DO with the baptismal cross after it's been given to you? Is it a large cross like the one the preist uses for blessings after the Liturgy ends? Or is it small like the ones people wear on their necks?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 04:26:19 PM by icecreamsandwich » Logged

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 04:38:04 PM »

It's a small one, and you wear it around your neck.  Smiley

Usually, people put them away in a safe place (so they don't get lost), and daily wear another cross around their necks....putting on the baptismal cross on major Feast days and events (weddings, their own funeral, etc.) 

The cross is usually provided to you by your godparent/sponsor.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
icecreamsandwich

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 11:21:15 PM »

It's a small one, and you wear it around your neck.  Smiley

Usually, people put them away in a safe place (so they don't get lost), and daily wear another cross around their necks....putting on the baptismal cross on major Feast days and events (weddings, their own funeral, etc.) 

The cross is usually provided to you by your godparent/sponsor.

Okay, thank you again for your help - it's much appreciated Smiley.

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 11:41:34 PM »

Some people do choose to wear the baptismal croses daily, and generally do so under their clothes against the skin. Smiley

It may be a matter of cultural difference or just personal preference.
Tags: fasting 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: