OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 04:29:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving along/officially not a mormon anymore! Yay!  (Read 1020 times) Average Rating: 0
SGB

Faith: Greek Orthodox Inquirer

« on: February 13, 2013, 03:54:30 PM »

Haven't posted in a while, but I am moving right along with learning about the church! I met with my priest again yesterday, and it went really well! He is giving me another book, "The Orthodox Way" by Kallistos Ware, to read and learn even more. Our hope is for me to learn as much about the church before Holy week, then the plan is to have me come to as many of those services that week as I can, then see where we're at with my progress. I am still super excited about learning about the faith, and I can't wait to be a part of it one day! And this morning I finally sent in my official letter of resignation from the LDS church. Wahoo! Feels good to know that I will soon not be affiliated in any way to that church, and be a part of the real true church!
Symeon77

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

'with fear and trembling work out your salvation.'

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 09:58:08 PM »

Haven't posted in a while, but I am moving right along with learning about the church! I met with my priest again yesterday, and it went really well! He is giving me another book, "The Orthodox Way" by Kallistos Ware, to read and learn even more. Our hope is for me to learn as much about the church before Holy week, then the plan is to have me come to as many of those services that week as I can, then see where we're at with my progress. I am still super excited about learning about the faith, and I can't wait to be a part of it one day! And this morning I finally sent in my official letter of resignation from the LDS church. Wahoo! Feels good to know that I will soon not be affiliated in any way to that church, and be a part of the real true church!

Congratulations!

It sounds as though you've been blessed with a good priest.

Enjoy the lenten season. It is a blessed time to focus on our faith, and a propitious time to begin your inquiry.

Where Christianity disappears, greed, envy, and lust invent a thousand ideologies to justify themselves.~ Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Abba Anthony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 10:01:36 PM »

Congratulations!

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 10:07:42 PM »

Congratulations! And doubly so on your resignation letter!

Just curious, were you BIC or a convert?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 10:07:52 PM by Nephi » Logged
choy
Archon

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 10:08:12 PM »

Congratulations.  And not to interfere with your priest's plans, but make sure you have "For the Life of the World" by Fr. Alexander Schmemann on your to-read list.  After The Orthodox Way Wink
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 10:18:20 PM »

Sounds good Smiley

Large Marge sent me...
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 10:46:16 PM »

God grant you many years. Smiley

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Thomas
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 01:02:56 AM »

As a former "Latter-Day Saint" or "Mormon" I congratulate you on your first step. Be aware that you will now get a letter asking you to go before the Stake High Council (If you are an Elder or higher) for a "court" to encourage you to return to the faith and if you continue in your efforts to disassociate from the LDS church, they will then send you a letter of excommunication. When that happened I thought it was over yet 15 yers later, I got calls from old friends in the LDS Church who said they got my name and phone number/address from the LDS Church headquarters despite the fact I had moved to three different towns and several addresses during that time. Just be prepared for it.

Once again congratulations on your action, I look forward to word that you are baptised and chrismated soon. I have never regretted my departure from the LDS church, I hope you will feel the same way soon.

Thomas
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 01:05:08 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 01:23:49 AM »

As a former "Latter-Day Saint" or "Mormon" I congratulate you on your first step. Be aware that you will now get a letter asking you to go before the Stake High Council (If you are an Elder or higher) for a "court" to encourage you to return to the faith and if you continue in your efforts to disassociate from the LDS church, they will then send you a letter of excommunication. When that happened I thought it was over yet 15 yers later, I got calls from old friends in the LDS Church who said they got my name and phone number/address from the LDS Church headquarters despite the fact I had moved to three different towns and several addresses during that time. Just be prepared for it.

Once again congratulations on your action, I look forward to word that you are baptised and chrismated soon. I have never regretted my departure from the LDS church, I hope you will feel the same way soon.

Thomas

Wow! That sounds very much like what the Church of Scientology does.
If you have ever signed up for just one of their courses, they never let you go, but keep calling you for years to come and attend another course to clear those aliens out of your brain.

Praying that you, SGB, may have the strength and the grace of God to resist any temptation to return to the LDS.

Oh, Thomas. Did you attend that court session?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 01:26:37 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
soderquj

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 11:12:12 AM »

Congrats, any support you need let me know. Will you be attending services in Ogden or SLC?

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
SGB

Faith: Greek Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 12:34:15 PM »

Thanks everyone! And I will be attending services in Ogden. And I'm sure you know already (soderj) that father Mario is seriously so cool!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 12:59:49 PM »

Glory to God!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
soderquj

Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 01:22:21 PM »

Thanks everyone! And I will be attending services in Ogden. And I'm sure you know already (soderj) that father Mario is seriously so cool!

Yes he is and very down to earth to. Grin

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
ATX

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 04:29:59 PM »

Congratulations!  I'm a former mormon, too, and am a catechumen.  I expect to be chrismated soon.  I suspect there are quite a few mormons out there who have discovered the truth of Orthodoxy after discovering the truth about Mormonism.
Thomas
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 09:29:51 PM »

As a former "Latter-Day Saint" or "Mormon" I congratulate you on your first step. Be aware that you will now get a letter asking you to go before the Stake High Council (If you are an Elder or higher) for a "court" to encourage you to return to the faith and if you continue in your efforts to disassociate from the LDS church, they will then send you a letter of excommunication. When that happened I thought it was over yet 15 years later, I got calls from old friends in the LDS Church who said they got my name and phone number/address from the LDS Church headquarters despite the fact I had moved to three different towns and several addresses during that time. Just be prepared for it.

Once again congratulations on your action, I look forward to word that you are baptised and charismatic soon. I have never regretted my departure from the LDS church, I hope you will feel the same way soon.

Thomas

Wow! That sounds very much like what the Church of Scientology does.
If you have ever signed up for just one of their courses, they never let you go, but keep calling you for years to come and attend another course to clear those aliens out of your brain.

Praying that you, SGB, may have the strength and the grace of God to resist any temptation to return to the LDS.

Oh, Thomas. Did you attend that court session?

No I didn't, we actually we were in a car wreck around that time and we received our notice of excommunication in the mail and lost almost every friend we had in the area, only a part-member family would even talk to us. Anonymous calls came in telling us that we had cursed God and were apostates and that our accident was God's punishment for our Apostasy. The gossip trees began and soon all sorts of lies and speculations were spread about how and why we left. We had to write a letter of complaint to the Stake High Council from a lawyer before they put out no one was to accuse of anything they did not know and the local Mormon bishop called and apologized.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Byzantine2008
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 10:36:04 PM »

Glory to God!

Let your will be done O Lord Jesus Christ through the intercession of you All Pure Mother and all the saints!
Shiranui117
Formerly known as "Wandering Sheep"

Faith: Orthodox (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: ACROD/OCA

PUDDI PUDDI!

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 01:24:50 AM »

May God bless and increase your faith! "The Orthodox Way" is a fantastic book, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Smiley
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 10:45:18 AM »

This is a lengthy and good interview with former Mormons on Orthodoxy and Mormonism:

http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/aftoday/mormonism_and_orthodox_christianity
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: