OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 10:11:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Older people wanting to join the Church  (Read 859 times) Average Rating: 0
jewish voice
Elder

« on: February 13, 2013, 12:51:49 PM »

Is there different rules for older people wanting to Join the Church. I'm asking this cause a person I know asked me about the Orthodox faith as they know that I know a little bit on the Church. This person is in their 70's. I said they would have to go on a 1yr to 2 yr classes they seamed not to like that idea. Did I give the right answer or are there different rules for much older people?
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 01:10:22 PM »

"Rules" vary from parish to parish, but are not based on age.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 02:13:03 PM »

Is there different rules for older people wanting to Join the Church. I'm asking this cause a person I know asked me about the Orthodox faith as they know that I know a little bit on the Church. This person is in their 70's. I said they would have to go on a 1yr to 2 yr classes they seamed not to like that idea. Did I give the right answer or are there different rules for much older people?

They can be made a catechumen right away just for the asking. The rest will come in due course and is nothing to worry over.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
choy
Archon

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 02:13:12 PM »

Depends on the priest.  The priest will take everything into consideration including age.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 03:30:29 PM »

They can be made a catechumen right away just for the asking. The rest will come in due course and is nothing to worry over.

Not necessarily. It depends on the priest. Some priests would want the person to attend services for awhile and experience the life of the parish, or attend a class before becoming formally a catechumen. Others will do as you said, make someone a catechumen right away.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 04:58:57 PM »

My Priest made me a catechumen after attending services for about three months and then began weekly classes for approximately one year before I was baptized.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 05:12:15 PM »

I've known people who were baptized in less than a year from inquiry.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 05:17:55 PM »

Must have been the Evangelical Antiochian Orthodox Church in America.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 05:20:21 PM »

Ha!  Hardly.

You know....there's no specific time period that it takes each individual person to "know" God.  It's different for everyone.

I don't think everyone needs to be a catechuman for 3 years....while some do.  It all stems from the individual's maturity, desire, humility, etc.

Don't you believe that some people might be led to the Church and be ready and willing to enter in less than a year's time?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
choy
Archon

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 05:48:17 PM »

Our priest judges the person's acceptance of the basic beliefs of Orthodoxy.  So Roman Catholics get the shortest Catechumenate because things like Liturgical worship, Sacraments, and the Theotokos are pretty close.  Evangelicals and Pentecostals are about a year or so.  Its pretty fluid in our parish, it depends on how much one knows about Orthodoxy and has accepted about Orthodoxy.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 06:28:14 PM »

Each individual seeking to become a catechumen and each priest are unique.

Thus, if a priest has had some bad experiences with catechumens from Catholicism who have returned to the Catholic Church (a common problem), he may make each person wait from one to three years.

If a priest has not had any problems, then he may receive a Catholic within six months.

With Protestants, it is the same thing.
I have known some Protestants who are diligent and who are received within six months.
Others have had to be instructed and attend Holy Services regularly in order to receive the Sacraments of Initiation within one to three years.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 06:46:34 PM »

I was baptized after having been a catechumen for 7 months and we are in the Bulgarian Church. There is a couple in my parish who have been catechumens for about 4 years and are getting baptized in a few weeks. It varies.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Xenia
Harmless Little Fuzzball

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 02:38:36 AM »

I attended the local Greek parish for a month or so,  asked about joining, was told to pick out some godparents, had 2 meetings with the priest and was chrismated a a month or so later.  I don't think this is the best way to be received into the Orthodox Church but in my case, I think  God knew what He was doing because I was desperate.   I was in my fifties at the time.  It was like I became "instantly Orthodox,"  not something I recommend!
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 11:56:20 AM »

There was a guy in our parish who attended services more or less regularly for 10 years or so. We affectionately referred to him as the "Oldest Living Catechumen."

St. John Chrysostom
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 02:11:52 PM »

Anything under a year is too Protestant for you, isn't it?

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 02:21:25 PM »

Not sure if this is meant to be positive or negative...

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 02:28:07 PM »

Anything under a year is too Protestant for you, isn't it?

Anything that his holy grace and eminence JamesR considers odd or out of his experience is Protestant.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: