OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 08:06:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Orthodox Condemnation of Roman Catholicism  (Read 3039 times) Average Rating: 0
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2013, 04:09:51 AM »

I think Vlad Tepesh was Catholic for a while because the ruler of Hungary was, but I do not remember if he was Catholic or Orthodox by the time he kicked the bucket. Lips Sealed
This site gives his religion as Roman Catholic.
http://www.nndb.com/people/439/000113100/

He's yours if you want him!  Roll Eyes
But you have him buried in an Orthodox monastery in Snagov?
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2013, 04:12:05 AM »

I think Vlad Tepesh was Catholic for a while because the ruler of Hungary was, but I do not remember if he was Catholic or Orthodox by the time he kicked the bucket. Lips Sealed

Nope, just some dead horse bones... His head was sent to the Sultan in Constantinople on a pale, though.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 04:14:37 AM by Romaios » Logged
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2013, 04:43:02 AM »

Nope, just some dead horse bones... His head was sent to the Sultan in Constantinople on a pale, though.
Many Romanian historians say that he is buried at the Comana monastery. However, according to an article in the Journal of Dracula Studies, Number 4, by C. Rezachevici (2002), the Orthodox monks at the Snagov monastery say he was buried there. In either case, it is claimed that he was RC and buried at an Orthodox monastery.
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2013, 05:01:03 AM »

Many Romanian historians say that he is buried at the Comana monastery. However, according to an article in the Journal of Dracula Studies, Number 4, by C. Rezachevici (2002), the Orthodox monks at the Snagov monastery say he was buried there. In either case, it is claimed that he was RC and buried at an Orthodox monastery.

Comana is a monastery he himself built.

It's not unheard of for non-Orthodox monarchs/nobles to be buried in our monasteries. Queen Marie was Anglican and apparently sympathetic to the Bahá'í  - she is buried at Curtea de Argeș, with our other kings and queens. Deus suos agnoscet...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 05:06:57 AM by Romaios » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2013, 11:58:21 AM »

Why are you giving away the ending of The Godfather? Some people might not have seen it yet.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: Netodox
Jurisdiction: OC.net

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2013, 12:08:16 PM »

It's not unheard of for non-Orthodox monarchs/nobles to be buried in our monasteries. Queen Marie was Anglican and apparently sympathetic to the Bahá'í  - she is buried at Curtea de Argeș, with our other kings and queens. Deus suos agnoscet...

That's sad.

I wish you'd all just shut up. Then at least you would appear to be wise. - Job 13:5 ISV
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2013, 12:21:53 PM »

My understanding (and I'm afraid that I can't find the sources at the moment so this is from memory) is that Vlad Tepes had returned to the Orthodox Church prior to his death. He certainly did convert to Roman Catholicism at one point, but it appears to have been for political advantage. Of course, being the way he was any return to Orthodoxy might just as easily have been for political gain also. He certainly had the support of his cousin Stefan cel Mare, who was undoubtedly committed to the Orthodox Church. On the other hand Stefan was so preoccupied with defending Moldavia against the Turks that I doubt he would have cared if Vlad was Roman Catholic.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2013, 12:29:46 PM »

That's sad.

Well, they could have thrown her remains out into the street to be eaten by dogs, but she wasn't as bad as Jezebel.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2013, 01:02:48 PM »

Well, they could have thrown her remains out into the street to be eaten by dogs, but she wasn't as bad as Jezebel.

She was no Jezebel indeed. Actually she was very popular - the people loved her. My grandmother had fond memories of seeing her ride her horse at Balcic every morning. She had a kind heart. 
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2013, 04:15:19 PM »

"RCs" = "Roman-Rite Catholics"?

Good thread, btw.

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2013, 05:41:54 PM »

Pray that Augustin doesn't follow in his footsteps!
Whose footsteps may I ask? I would appreciate your concern maybe had things been a bit different than they turned out to be. As they are, it kinda rubs me the wrong way. Sorry.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2013, 06:26:22 PM »

"RCs" = "Roman-Rite Catholics"?

Yes. Rebellious Concubines would not really fit.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2013, 06:44:23 PM »

This thread started off goofy, but it got me thinking "what if".

What if the change in the Creed had been done the right way resulting in no schism.  Would the Catholic Church still be in communion with the Orthodox or would a later problem still caused it?

I'm pretty sure that the Schism was inescapable; contrary to popular belief, there wasn't just one sole issue that led to the Schism--such as the Pope or the Filioque--but the result of several factors closing in. I think the biggest issue is simply that the East and West were too geographically separated due to the Balkan Peninsula being invaded, and it was only natural that they would go in different directions.

Wherever goes JamesR goes, he is there.
-Orthonorm
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2013, 06:52:55 PM »

What if the change in the Creed had been done the right way resulting in no schism.  Would the Catholic Church still be in communion with the Orthodox or would a later problem still caused it?

I'm pretty sure that the Schism was inescapable; contrary to popular belief, there wasn't just one sole issue that led to the Schism--such as the Pope or the Filioque--but the result of several factors closing in. I think the biggest issue is simply that the East and West were too geographically separated due to the Balkan Peninsula being invaded, and it was only natural that they would go in different directions.

Except that the Church is not supposed to 'go' in a 'direction'. She is supposed to hold fast the faith once delivered to the saints. Now, I'm not saying that the geographic separation and resulting cultural differences didn't contribute to the Schism. But I am saying that if we have a different faith now, it's because one side didn't do what it was supposed to do, and should have been able to do regardless of geography.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
choy
Archon

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2013, 07:01:30 PM »

I agree.  The schism was really something that was a slow drifting apart rather than a lightning quick separation.  1054 was a convenient point in history to pin the Great Schism, but there is evidence that communion even continued after 1054 all the way to the Fall of Constantinople.  And by 1054 it shows that there were already a number of disagreements on a number of points and as the years go by it just grew and grew.  The growing schism meant a lack of dialogue and as the theology evolved on both sides, there was no check with the other side to make sure they were still on the same page.

Another big issue is the Reformation.  Although a united Church could have prevented the Reformation.  I've been thinking lately if someone who can make a comparison with Martin Luther and St. Maximos, and if Martin Luther could have had reformed the Church from within (and thus be kept orthodox in teaching) if he had the same avenues at St. Maximos had.  That is, St. Maximos was able to find a Patriarch that supported his position (the Pope of Rome) so he continued the fight within the Church.  Martin Luther did not have anywhere else to run to after Rome told him without question to retract his thesis.  I'm not knowledgable on the matter, but it did seem that Luther wasn't having a dialogue, but rather was being told.  And with no other bishop to support him, what else could he do but leave the Roman Catholic Church?

Now, post reformation, I believe the Roman Catholic Church is slowly falling into Luther's reformation.  I believe Trent is as guilty as Vatican II for the mess the church is in today.  Of course Trent externally displayed traditional Catholic beliefs, the mentality and approach changed significantly since then as an effort to continously respond to Protestant criticism.  The RCChurch seemed to think that they need to respond to and differentiate themselves from the Protestant criticism rather than staying true to their original character.  That is why we have all these Marian Dogmas and Pastor Aeternus, as a response to the Protestant criticism.  This is what I think.
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2013, 10:32:19 PM »

Pray that Augustin doesn't follow in his footsteps!
Whose footsteps may I ask?

As the Noble Qu'rân sayeth:

"Guide us to the Straight Way, the Way of those on whom Thou hast bestowed Thy Grace, those whose portion is not wrath, and who go not astray." (Surah 1:6-7)

Hadîth: I asked Allah's Messenger PBUH about the statement of Allah: 1. Gharil maghdubi 'alaihim ("not [the way] of those who earned Your anger"), he replied: "They are the Communists". And 2. Walad dâllîn ("nor of those who went astray"): "The Leftists, they were the ones who went astray".

I would appreciate your concern maybe had things been a bit different than they turned out to be. As they are, it kinda rubs me the wrong way. Sorry.

Indeed, compunction is optimal when self-induced, not inflicted by others.

Prostite i blagoslovite.
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2013, 11:05:50 PM »

Now you take it as your  mission to bring me to the "Straight Way" whatever you think that is. With Koran trivia.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:22:55 PM by augustin717 » Logged
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2013, 11:09:24 PM »

it's bizarre^

So is your "jurisdiction".
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2013, 11:23:22 PM »

it's bizarre^

So is your "jurisdiction".
get over it, man. come on
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2013, 11:46:24 PM »

Now you take it as your  mission to bring me to the "Straight Way" whatever you think that is. With Koran trivia.

That would be a mission impossible, in more than one way.

I was but half-serious (on the one half, though - I am dead serious).

I quoted the Qu'ran for a change, because I usually over-quote the Bible. So it was for the sake of variety, sort of...

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2013, 12:57:31 PM »

That would be a mission impossible, in more than one way.

I was but half-serious (on the one half, though - I am dead serious).

I quoted the Qu'ran for a change, because I usually over-quote the Bible. So it was for the sake of variety, sort of...

I have to admit that I too was a little baffled when you started quoting the Qu'ran.

choy
Archon

« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2013, 09:49:19 PM »

Okay, this page isn't officially of the Catholic Church, but its bad taste to deface icons just for a few giggles (and it's not funny anyway).  https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=163036973846053&set=a.100243983458686.368.100237920125959&type=1
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2013, 08:02:53 AM »

stay on track and no more bickering between each other.  Want a koran thread, find the right forum and start one in it.  -username! section moderator

Napoletani

Faith: Romanian Orthodox

« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2013, 05:10:43 AM »

The faith of the Hungarian ruler does not prove anything, otherwise all Romanian rulers would have been catholics, but the Basarab, Mihai Viteazul and Stefan Cel Mare were Orthodox.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:11:18 AM by Napoletani » Logged

Romania,striga tare sa te aud
Romania,noi suntem Leii din Sud
Si din mormant voi striga,Stiinta e echipa mea
De te nasti aici si cresti,ramai Anti'Bucuresti
Napoletani

Faith: Romanian Orthodox

« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2013, 05:17:08 AM »

I dont agree, georgians were also separated geographically, but they remained orthodox. Copts and Armenians are not really close to each other but they remained oriental orthodox.

Romania,striga tare sa te aud
Romania,noi suntem Leii din Sud
Si din mormant voi striga,Stiinta e echipa mea
De te nasti aici si cresti,ramai Anti'Bucuresti
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2013, 05:51:09 AM »

The faith of the Hungarian ruler does not prove anything, otherwise all Romanian rulers would have been catholics, but the Basarab, Mihai Viteazul and Stefan Cel Mare were Orthodox.

True - Hungary has absolutely no relevance to either Wallachia or Moldavia as neither principality was ruled by them. Vlad was voievod of Wallachia and so the religion of the Hungarian rulers signifies very little. To the best of my knowledge the overwhelming majority of Wallachian rulers were always Orthodox rather than Roman Catholic (although Radu cel Frumos converted to Islam) and the only Roman Catholic ruler of Moldavia was Latcu Voda.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2013, 10:46:17 PM »

Speaking of Orthodox condemnation, I don't quite get what the narrator is talking about in this Orthodox program.

At 21:20, she says that "the Bible is still on the list of forbidden books" for Catholics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3gtMeUn-GE

I know she is using humor, but I am still confused what she is talking about.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 10:46:49 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2013, 07:14:01 AM »

Translations of the Bible that had no approved by the Vatican were for several hundreds of years not approved to read for believers.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2013, 06:30:35 PM »

Translations of the Bible that had no approved by the Vatican were for several hundreds of years not approved to read for believers.
Was that just certain translations of the Bible though, or the Bible itself?
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2013, 06:35:43 PM »

Certain translations were not banned.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2013, 07:30:48 PM »

Certain translations were not banned.
OK. She also follows this statement with something else that is funny.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: