OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 04:36:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Orthodox Condemnation of Roman Catholicism  (Read 4063 times) Average Rating: 0
Incognito777
Moderated
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: N/A

« on: February 13, 2013, 12:34:46 AM »

For those of you who are not familiar with the Churches teaching on the Latin schismatics, see this video. Roman Catholics have been condemned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDaoRonW1ww&list=UUh074oPigJcEGkWbj7j7zKQ&index=30
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 12:37:24 AM »

There are many Orthodox on this forum who are not familiar with the teachings of the Church, but you should really first get to know them before posting your videos otherwise they and others will think you are yet another mindless zealot come to spread a message.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 01:12:05 AM »

Incognito777, you should make a post introducing yourself in the appropriate sub-forum.  Your recent threads have made me very curious about you.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:12:43 AM by trevor72694 » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 03:38:40 PM »

You gotta be careful about us RCs. Be sure to keep garlic around your windows, and a wooden stake close at hand.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 03:58:57 PM »

You gotta be careful about us RCs. Be sure to keep garlic around your windows, and a wooden stake close at hand.

No! RC's are cute and huggable!

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 04:01:24 PM »

Thank you.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 04:05:13 PM »

For those of you who are not familiar with the Churches teaching on the Latin schismatics, see this video. Roman Catholics have been condemned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDaoRonW1ww&list=UUh074oPigJcEGkWbj7j7zKQ&index=30
Are you Pilgrim1411?

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
choy
Archon

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 04:07:51 PM »

I heard you also are afraid of crosses.  But only those without a corpus carried around by a girl altar server while singing "Amazing Grace".
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 04:47:33 PM »

I'm a heretic too, since I use the New Calendar. Glad to be lumped with that evil Papist and those other RC posters we have here.  Roll Eyes

Happy Ash Wednesday!

[/sarcasm]

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 06:57:31 PM »

I'm a heretic too, since I use the New Calendar. Glad to be lumped with that evil Papist and those other RC posters we have here.  Roll Eyes

Happy Ash Wednesday!

[/sarcasm]

Wait, do WR Antiochians celebrate Ash Wednesday today?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 07:05:17 PM »

Happy Ash Wednesday!

[/sarcasm]

I think he was sarcastic  Smiley

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 07:08:24 PM »

Happy Ash Wednesday!

[/sarcasm]

That is so good to hear!  Roll Eyes

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 07:21:18 PM »

Happy Ash Wednesday!

[/sarcasm]

That is so good to hear!  Roll Eyes

Yes, I was being sarcastic. And I have no clue what WR Antiochians do.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 07:22:44 PM »

I heard you also are afraid of crosses.  But only those without a corpus carried around by a girl altar server while singing "Amazing Grace".
Ughhh, may God grant these priest many happy years... of RETIREMENT!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 07:23:28 PM by Papist » Logged

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Incognito777
Moderated
Elder

Jurisdiction: N/A

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 11:14:28 PM »

Incognito777, you should make a post introducing yourself in the appropriate sub-forum.  Your recent threads have made me very curious about you.

I am chief among sinners, misfits and wretches. Great is the mercy of God.

Glory be to God for all things. Christ is Risen!
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 12:29:33 AM »

Didn't Vlad the Impaler become a Roman Catholic?

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 12:30:58 AM »

Happy Ash Wednesday!

[/sarcasm]

No. Wednesday of Clean Week, IIRC. They're on the non-Finnish Orthodox Paschalion.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 12:32:53 AM »

I heard you also are afraid of crosses.  But only those without a corpus carried around by a girl altar server while singing "Amazing Grace".
Ughhh, may God grant these priest many happy years... of RETIREMENT!

According to the Catholic Church Conservation Blog, the Diocese of Linz is fond of twigs instead of crosses. Not sure if that has changed. Hope so.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 06:51:37 AM »

Didn't Vlad the Impaler become a Roman Catholic?

He became whatever fit the circumstances better at any given time. But it's too easy to get into vile arguments about him over this.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »

This thread started off goofy, but it got me thinking "what if".

What if the change in the Creed had been done the right way resulting in no schism.  Would the Catholic Church still be in communion with the Orthodox or would a later problem still caused it?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 11:45:04 PM »

This thread started off goofy, but it got me thinking "what if".

What if the change in the Creed had been done the right way resulting in no schism.  Would the Catholic Church still be in communion with the Orthodox or would a later problem still caused it?

Well, the filioque did not cause a schism when first introduced. The Photian Schism had other causes as well, primarily the Pope of Rome taking umbrage with the uncanonical deposition of St. Ignatius by the emperor and his replacement with Photios, who was a layman at the time. Later, when the filioque appeared in pope's systatic letter in the early 11th century, his name was not entered into the diptychs, but this didn't appear at the time as a schism over filioque. Polemical arguments at the time covered filioque with other things, but communion appears to have continued in large part. The major problem was papal supremacy. But even this wasn't a pressing issue until 1100, when the Crusaders, with no objection from the pope, replaced the Patriarch of Antioch with a Latin after capturing the city.

Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 12:02:01 AM »

It was much easier when we just had to watch out for just Augustine, but now all of you?  Instead of a wooden stake would you take a nice ribeye and leave us alone? 
Father H
Archon

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 12:03:50 AM »

^What happens if we oversleep?  You bite us and we become RC's?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2013, 12:46:42 AM »

That settles it, Father! I shall make a documentary on the Great Schism with the Underworld movies.

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2013, 02:29:40 AM »

You would do well to be more concerned about the scourge of the Moslems than of the innovative teachings of the Roman Catholics.  While Eastern Orthodoxy may have theological disputes with Catholicism, the Catholic Church is not a bastion imposing evil upon the world.  "Kill them with the sword," were the last words of the Moslem Prophet, a pedophile, his comments said in connection with his command to his followers to persuade non-Moslems to convert to his hearsay, as to those who refuse to convert to it.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2013, 03:36:53 AM »

Among other things, the video speaks of the several Orthodox condemnations of the Gregorian calendar. So according to the teaching on this video with regard to the calendar, does this mean then that any Christian, not just Roman Catholics,  who observes the New Calendar date of Christmas as December 25 is anathematised, condemned, and eternally damned? I don't see anything about the Julian calendar mentioned in the Bible. Is this a teaching from apostolic times, or was this a novel teaching that developed over time in the Eastern Orthodox Church?
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2013, 03:42:25 AM »

Among other things, the video speaks of the several Orthodox condemnations of the Gregorian calendar. So according to the teaching on this video with regard to the calendar, does this mean then that any Christian, not just Roman Catholics,  who observes the New Calendar date of Christmas as December 25 is anathematised, condemned, and eternally damned? I don't see anything about the Julian calendar mentioned in the Bible. Is this a teaching from apostolic times, or was this a novel teaching that developed over time in the Eastern Orthodox Church?

Do not be deceived. I am 99.9% sure incognito777 is what is known charitably as a 'schismatic'.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2013, 03:52:34 AM »

Among other things, the video speaks of the several Orthodox condemnations of the Gregorian calendar. So according to the teaching on this video with regard to the calendar, does this mean then that any Christian, not just Roman Catholics,  who observes the New Calendar date of Christmas as December 25 is anathematised, condemfned, and eternally damned? I don't see anything about the Julian calendar mentioned in the Bible. Is this a teaching from apostolic times, or was this a novel teaching that developed over time in the Eastern Orthodox Church?

It was not only the Orthodox but Protestants too who objected in the past to the Papal calendar innovation. Indeed there were riots here in England when it was eventually introduced with the populace demanding back their 11 days. Even in my lifetime I heard reference to Old Christmas from English folk who no idea about Eastern Orthodoxy. The calendar, the liturgical and festal unity that went with it was a sanctification of time.

Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2013, 06:35:26 AM »

The Byzantine Church could tolerate no difference. The Council of Trullo for example condemned each and every difference they could find with the Armenians and, to a somewhat lesser extent, the Latins. Either the Latin Church would have been Hellenised and Byzantinised or the schism would have happened anyway, even if the Latins would have given up Papal Supremacy.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 06:38:20 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Warned
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2013, 07:37:24 PM »

Only when the sun goes down...... Grin

BTW, pertaining to earlier posts, I do believe Vlad the Impaler was Eastern Orthodox.

For a time at least.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Father H
Archon

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2013, 07:54:26 PM »

BTW, pertaining to earlier posts, I do believe Vlad the Impaler was Eastern Orthodox.

For a time at least.

Pertaining to earlier posts, if true, Vlad was normal Orthodox and then got bit and became RC and spread it.  the only thing this proves is that Vlad was not original vampire.   Tongue     Wink
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Warned
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2013, 08:01:35 PM »

Interesting.

If he was indeed "catholic", why the heck was he and other vamps so scared of Crucifixes?

Seems Icons  could never make them scuttle.  Wink

I hate to derail this thread, but I'm having too much fun here.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2013, 11:30:46 PM »

For a time at least.

Pertaining to earlier posts, if true, Vlad was normal Orthodox and then got bit and became RC and spread it.  the only thing this proves is that Vlad was not original vampire.   Tongue     Wink

According to this thread, RC is condemned and anathematised by the Orthodox Church. But if Vlad Tepes was Roman Catholic at the time of death, why did the Orthodox Church allow him to be  buried in the Orthodox monastery of Snagov?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2013, 12:23:35 AM »

For a time at least.

According to this thread, RC is condemned and anathematised by the Orthodox Church. But if Vlad Tepes was Roman Catholic at the time of death, why did the Orthodox Church allow him to be  buried in the Orthodox monastery of Snagov?

Maybe it was Vlad Dracul, not Vlad Tepes. We need augustin.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2013, 12:26:32 AM »

For a time at least.

I thought they were both the same person?  Huh

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2013, 12:33:03 AM »

For a time at least.

I thought they were both the same person?  Huh

Vlad Dracul, Vlad Tepes, and Augustin are all separate persons, AFAIK.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2013, 12:34:35 AM »

I had strange bug bites last summer, but I didn't fly out the window at night, so I guess I'm okay.

Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2013, 12:41:03 AM »

Vlad Dracul, Vlad Tepes, and Augustin are all separate persons, AFAIK.

Lol - Augustin is his own person, but the other two are one and the same guy.

They say that people started calling him "Dracul" (the devil < draco = dragon in Romanian), because he went over to the side of the devil ("s-a dat cu dracul"). He was also a member of some chivalresque society called the "Order of the Dragon".

Pray that Augustin doesn't follow in his footsteps!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 12:49:55 AM by Romaios » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2013, 12:52:59 AM »

Vlad II was known as Vlad Dracul. His son, Vlad III was known as Dracula.

It appears that the more luridly evil accounts of Dracula derive from his enemies.

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2013, 12:57:23 AM »

Vlad II was known as Vlad Dracul. His son, Vlad III was known as Dracula.

It appears that the more luridly evil accounts of Dracula derive from his enemies.

Sorry, you're right - Dracula is actually supposed to come from "Drăculea" (~Dracul Jr). "Prâslea" (the same suffix) is "Junior", or the "little one" in Romanian folk tales.

Vlad II Dracul and Vlad III the Impaler or "Drăculea" are indeed different persons.

I think it was the father who turned Catholic. Anyways, it turns out that his son was not entombed at the monastery of Snagov - the tomb was opened and there were only some horse bones inside...

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 01:13:40 AM by Romaios » Logged
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2013, 01:15:47 AM »

Wait Vlad Dracul was called Dracul because he became Catholic?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2013, 01:23:42 AM »

Wait Vlad Dracul was called Dracul because he became Catholic?

More likely because he joined the Order of the Dragon.

The theory is that in the eyes of the people he was "of the devil" (al dracu'). The play on words is tempting. But it's not necessarily bad or an insult if you call someone that in Romanian - it can just mean smart or capable, not easily defeated. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 01:24:05 AM by Romaios » Logged
Gamliel
Archon

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2013, 01:47:50 AM »

I think Vlad Tepesh was Catholic for a while because the ruler of Hungary was, but I do not remember if he was Catholic or Orthodox by the time he kicked the bucket. Lips Sealed
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2013, 02:59:26 AM »

I think Vlad Tepesh was Catholic for a while because the ruler of Hungary was, but I do not remember if he was Catholic or Orthodox by the time he kicked the bucket. Lips Sealed
This site gives his religion as Roman Catholic.
http://www.nndb.com/people/439/000113100/
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2013, 03:04:43 AM »

This site gives his religion as Roman Catholic.
http://www.nndb.com/people/439/000113100/

He's yours if you want him!  Roll Eyes
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: