OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 10:23:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Most difficult pieces of writing and/or thinkers/authors/etc.  (Read 869 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: February 13, 2013, 12:15:22 AM »

Having a difficult time with Lacan (I don't actually remember how I stumbled upon him) and I have given up on reading Hegel. Kierkegaard has been difficult for me as well, although Fear and Trembling (from what I could understand) helped a lot with understanding faith.

Finnegan's Wake by Joyce, uh yeah that is completely over my head but I guess that's the point.

What about you?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 12:21:56 AM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 12:35:58 AM »

Most difficult to get through for me...

Hegel - Phenomenology of Spirit
Plotinus - Enneads
Kant - Critique of Pure Reason (just boring)
Voula Tsouna -The Epistemology of the Cyrenaic School (dry as saw dust, but I got through it somehow after several attempts)
Nietzsche - The Birth of Tragedy (I think I finished it, but very boring -- sorry orthonorm!)
Heidegger - Being and Time (I quit on this one fairly early, partly from boredom and partly from laziness I guess)
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 01:26:26 AM »

How is Nietzsche boring? Everything the man wrote was interesting.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 01:31:24 AM »

Do you think The Birth of Tragedy was interesting?
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 01:33:56 AM »

I read Twilight of the Idols for a class, and I didn't find it interesting.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 01:37:16 AM »

Kant's Meditations felt like a chore for me to read. Just something about it bored me to tears.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:37:50 AM by Nephi » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 05:19:18 AM »

Aristotle - The Categories

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 11:34:21 AM »

I'd suggest you drop the Twilight of the Idols and pick up a copy of Twilight.  Far easier to read.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 11:40:27 AM »

Having a difficult time with Lacan (I don't actually remember how I stumbled upon him) and I have given up on reading Hegel. Kierkegaard has been difficult for me as well, although Fear and Trembling (from what I could understand) helped a lot with understanding faith.

Finnegan's Wake by Joyce, uh yeah that is completely over my head but I guess that's the point.

What about you?

You need some supplementary materials to read Lacan (what are you trying to read). Seriously, his work is almost impossible to understand without recourse to various lectures and students notes.

It also helps to have a grounding in non-pop-Freudian theory and structuralism (as we call it in the States).

Maybe we PMd about this. I am not sure what most folks are going to get out of Lacan without a thorough background in a lot of difficult material. This is one thinkers where a decent overview (I don't know what that is) might be the best way to go.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 11:42:28 AM »

What about you?

Again, I know about three people on this planet who I would talk about Kierkegaard with. The violence done to him by "existentialists" and the would be "existentialist Christians" (as if such a thing could exist) makes me want to vomit.

Tell me about Hegel, then we can talk K.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 11:47:07 AM »

People don't take Nietzsche seriously enough. He gets the fanbois of late adolescence who think they understand him and move on later to who knows what.

I will say that the beginning of Beyond Good and Evil is one of the greatest starts of any philosophical work. If you can read those first few paragraphs and get a sense of what is going on, then you might be able to read good ol' Neech.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 11:49:39 AM »

Do you think The Birth of Tragedy was interesting?

If The Birth of Tragedy is boring, it is only because it changed how we understand antiquity and seems grotesquely obvious and tedious now.

Neech doesn't come into his own till he rebels against his papa, Dick.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 11:49:53 AM by orthonorm » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 11:53:27 AM »

Most difficult to get through for me...

Hegel - Phenomenology of Spirit
Plotinus - Enneads
Kant - Critique of Pure Reason (just boring)
Voula Tsouna -The Epistemology of the Cyrenaic School (dry as saw dust, but I got through it somehow after several attempts)
Nietzsche - The Birth of Tragedy (I think I finished it, but very boring -- sorry orthonorm!)
Heidegger - Being and Time (I quit on this one fairly early, partly from boredom and partly from laziness I guess)

Hegel is enormously difficult. I try to never discuss him except to correct some the more ridiculous appropriations of his thought, old school Marxism and its critics. Otherwise, I remain silent. Anything I would have to say would be beyond embarrassing.

Kant's other Critiques are even more difficult than the one you list, but even more important in my opinion.

Weird how my love affair with anti-Hegelians and anti-Kantians brought me back to Hegel and Kant.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 11:53:55 AM by orthonorm » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 11:54:53 AM »

Try making it through his "poetry". Although he didn't really take that stuff too seriously himself.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 11:58:07 AM »

Deleuze.
Luhmann.

I am certain the two men above will come to be held as the greatest thinkers of the second half the 20th century.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 11:58:18 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 12:04:59 PM »

Prolegomena to Any Future Metaphysics by Kant: Very heavy and very boring. I remember I read most of the book in one day, and developed a headache reading it.

Metaphysics: Aristotle. A great deal of this book is very easy to read but there are sections of the work that I had to read multiple times with commentary to understand what Aristotle was getting at. Probably because I didn't know all of the controversies which he was addressing.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 12:15:51 PM »

The complete 800+ page Catechism of the Catholic Church...

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 12:26:22 PM »

People don't take Nietzsche seriously enough. He gets the fanbois of late adolescence who think they understand him and move on later to who knows what.

I will say that the beginning of Beyond Good and Evil is one of the greatest starts of any philosophical work. If you can read those first few paragraphs and get a sense of what is going on, then you might be able to read good ol' Neech.

I may have to do that. Luckily I had good professors, and was never around those fanboys.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 12:30:07 PM »

I may have to do that. Luckily I had good professors, and was never around those fanboys.

The problem with neech is that is he is seemingly so obvious at first or contrarywise obscurant. I don't read him any more as such, but as I have said before around here, if I had a few junior high school aged kids, we would read Descartes and then neech.

I can't think of two better thinkers who make clear the problems with which more people tend to struggle with in the day to day. And it might encourage one or two kids out of a 1000 to read some of the more difficult thinkers.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 02:37:22 PM »

Adorno- Dialectic of Enlightenment
Hardt and Negri- Empire

Though the difficulty of reading these comes less from difficulty of thoughts than from unnecessarily turgid writing.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: