OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 02:18:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reservations to Metropolitan Kallistos Ware  (Read 5064 times) Average Rating: 0
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2013, 09:50:40 AM »

He might say by the authority of the councils themselves. And, if clever, turn your question back on you since you allude to a question posed by the enemies of Christ.

What further need to we have of witnesses?

A layman wields the power of the Councils to anathematize hierarchs? By Crom, I didn't realize we held such power!

Be careful using a fictional pagan deity or you might also get anathematized.   Roll Eyes

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2013, 10:02:43 AM »

This reminds me hearing a Protestant Reformed minister proclaiming the Christian Reformed Church to be apostate.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2013, 11:38:12 AM »

Metropolitan Kallistos Ware confirmed in writing in 1984, that he gives Communion to Oriental Orthodox.

Not trying to be difficult or anything, but since there is no real source for the "writing" from 1984 in either the OP or the brief video on YouTube, does anyone know if the Metropolitan actually did write something on this and if so where?

Or as they say on Wikis "Citation needed".   Smiley

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2013, 09:14:28 PM »

He might say by the authority of the councils themselves. And, if clever, turn your question back on you since you allude to a question posed by the enemies of Christ.

What further need to we have of witnesses?

A layman wields the power of the Councils to anathematize hierarchs? By Crom, I didn't realize we held such power!

Be careful using a fictional pagan deity or you might also get anathematized.   Roll Eyes

What?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Deep Roots
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Catholic

« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2013, 09:16:12 PM »

LOL

Peace.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2013, 09:18:32 PM »

What?

Crom is a fictional deity in Robert E. Howard's world most famous for Conan the Barbarian.

I'm glad he knew what it was at least. I was afraid nobody would. Wink
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2013, 09:23:18 PM »

What?

Crom is a fictional deity in Robert E. Howard's world most famous for Conan the Barbarian.

I'm glad he knew what it was at least. I was afraid nobody would. Wink

Not sure what that had to do with what I wrote.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2013, 09:25:27 PM »

When I said "by Crom?"
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2013, 12:00:40 AM »

When I said "by Crom?"

An oath to a false god.  Anathema!

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2013, 01:26:32 AM »

I was under the impression that giving communion to anyone under an anathema is in violation of the canons, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding it. 

That's correct. The double standard is mostly an emotional one, like in Gebre's post.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
KShaft

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2013, 02:25:12 AM »

The Ecumenical Councils used the term Monophysites.

Yet they never once described a Christology that the Orientals actually believed in.

Wow. So the council was wrong and Severus was right huh? Roger that...
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2013, 02:36:55 AM »

I have pretty much ignored this thread based merely off the title.  Now I wish my curiosity had not gotten the better of me. Sad
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2013, 04:00:16 AM »

Metropolitan Kallistos Ware confirmed in writing in 1984, that he gives Communion to Oriental Orthodox.

Not trying to be difficult or anything, but since there is no real source for the "writing" from 1984 in either the OP or the brief video on YouTube, does anyone know if the Metropolitan actually did write something on this and if so where?

Such a comment coming from his eminence would not surprise me, considering: 1) how friendly the EP has been with various groups since the early 20th century, sometimes even outright acknowledging that the sacraments of Anglicans, Lutherans, etc. are grace-filled; 2) how Orthodoxy has fluctuated on this generally; and 3) how he has let slip other statements over the years that he had to then go back and clarify and interpret in an Orthodox manner. But I do agree that, if a real conversation is to be made, it should be based on a verifiable quote and not hearsay. Now, if only I knew where I could find a reference proving or disproving the claim...

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2013, 04:37:11 AM »

I can testify he said he wouldn't give communion to Roman Catholics. I heard this myself.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2013, 09:31:14 AM »

Wow. So the council was wrong and Severus was right huh? Roger that...

What? The councils not condemning Miaphysite Christology and the councils being wrong are not necessarily linked statements.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2013, 12:04:30 PM »

Such a comment coming from his eminence would not surprise me, considering: 1) how friendly the EP has been with various groups since the early 20th century, sometimes even outright acknowledging that the sacraments of Anglicans, Lutherans, etc. are grace-filled; 2) how Orthodoxy has fluctuated on this generally; and 3) how he has let slip other statements over the years that he had to then go back and clarify and interpret in an Orthodox manner. But I do agree that, if a real conversation is to be made, it should be based on a verifiable quote and not hearsay. Now, if only I knew where I could find a reference proving or disproving the claim...

Exactly so, Asteriktos.  The OP and the video, having stated that the Metropolitan wrote something without giving a source, lack any proof for the accusation and therefore should not be trusted as accurate until such time as it is given  It is, as you wrote only hearsay until then.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2013, 10:59:18 PM »

He is anathematized, and under the condemnation of the last four Ecumenical Councils and all the Fathers of Orthodoxy.

You may erase him from your diptychs, but since you are not a bishop the erasure is of little import.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2013, 03:04:10 PM »

fixed the title!
(for my reply at least).

he has written some good books that were very helpful to huge numbers of people, may God bless his work.
Nathanael

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2013, 03:23:12 PM »

Metropolitan Kallistos Ware confirmed in writing in 1984, that he gives Communion to Oriental Orthodox. See this response to him

Hello??! 1984!!!! Probably he repented his fault already and so there's no need for anathema.
You could list up of so many bishops, patriarchs, saints in orthodox history who had some heretical beliefs but after some time they repented.

"Orthodoxy is the very nature of man" - Father Rafail Noica
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2013, 03:34:43 PM »

Metropolitan Kallistos Ware confirmed in writing in 1984, that he gives Communion to Oriental Orthodox. See this response to him

Hello??! 1984!!!! Probably he repented his fault already and so there's no need for anathema.
You could list up of so many bishops, patriarchs, saints in orthodox history who had some heretical beliefs but after some time they repented.

I saw a priest in my parish (GOA) give Communion to an Armenian lady. No one made a fuss about it.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Nathanael

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2013, 03:38:03 PM »

I saw a priest in my parish (GOA) give Communion to an Armenian lady. No one made a fuss about it.
But we're talking about Metropolitan Kallistos Ware. If your priest did that, it's better to say that to your bishop instead of telling that to other people in your parish. And when your priest repent his fault that everything is ok.

"Orthodoxy is the very nature of man" - Father Rafail Noica
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2013, 03:39:39 PM »

But we're talking about Metropolitan Kallistos Ware. If your priest did that, it's better to say that to your bishop instead of telling that to other people in your parish. And when your priest repent his fault that everything is ok.

Okay then.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2013, 08:38:21 PM »

fixed the title!
(for my reply at least).

he has written some good books that were very helpful to huge numbers of people, may God bless his work.

The title has bothered me greatly. It is hardly a secret that many of us view each other as schismatics or in some cases even heretics. Our board rules preclude our calling each other such terms in no uncertain terms. Likewise we may not use the infamous "U" word in non historical terms.

Why then is it permissible to have a hierarch who is greatly respected by many of us and who has always been in good standing with his synod be called a "heretic" in a thread title and without a scintilla of evidentiary support for said claim?

Had the OP offered a hypothetical title of "The heretic John Doe" and said John Doe were a Metropolitan of the church, his honorific title would have been added per board policy. I think we owe Metropolitan Kallistos more respect.
LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2013, 09:12:06 PM »

fixed the title!
(for my reply at least).

The title has bothered me greatly. It is hardly a secret that many of us view each other as schismatics or in some cases even heretics. Our board rules preclude our calling each other such terms in no uncertain terms. Likewise we may not use the infamous "U" word in non historical terms.

Why then is it permissible to have a hierarch who is greatly respected by many of us and who has always been in good standing with his synod be called a "heretic" in a thread title and without a scintilla of evidentiary support for said claim?

Had the OP offered a hypothetical title of "The heretic John Doe" and said John Doe were a Metropolitan of the church, his honorific title would have been added per board policy. I think we owe Metropolitan Kallistos more respect.

Indeed. The OP was reported to the moderators for exactly this reason, and nothing seems to have been done about it.  Angry
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2013, 09:13:49 PM »

He is anathematized, and under the condemnation of the last four Ecumenical Councils and all the Fathers of Orthodoxy.

You may erase him from your diptychs, but since you are not a bishop the erasure is of little import.

Isn't that what you do?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Keble
Archon

« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2013, 12:32:10 AM »

What I do?  Angry Roll Eyes I'm not a bishop, and my church doesn't do diptychs, you know.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2013, 01:19:20 AM »

What I do?  Angry Roll Eyes I'm not a bishop, and my church doesn't do diptychs, you know.

What is with the emoticons? I asked a question. Didn't you post something about not taking communion from bishops like Spong?

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2013, 02:19:54 AM »

fixed the title!
(for my reply at least).

To the contrary, podkarpatska, the high regard Metropolitan Kallistos has within the mainstream of the Orthodox Church does not render him immune to criticism or charges of heresy. Likewise, our forum rules do not state with anywhere near as much clarity as you think that we are to refrain from calling Metropolitan Kallistos a heretic. The moderator team is currently reviewing this thread, so I ask formally that you stop misrepresenting forum policy and let us conduct our review. If you wish to complain further about the treatment Metropolitan Kallistos has received on this thread, please use the Report to Moderator function to register your complaint.

Thank you.

-PtA
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2013, 02:28:52 AM »

fixed the title!
(for my reply at least).

Indeed. The OP was reported to the moderators for exactly this reason, and nothing seems to have been done about it.  Angry
Nothing has been done about your complaint, LBK, because our first review deemed that no rules had been violated. You are, however, coming dangerously close once again to violating our rule that moderator action/inaction not be criticized publicly. Consider this your last warning, then, that if you come even this close again to publicly criticizing our decisions, you will receive a formal warning. Please confine your criticism of our decisions to private conversations with the moderator team.

Thank you.

-PtA
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 02:30:08 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2013, 04:54:43 AM »

As you can see the OP has already been put under moderation ie. for misusing hierarchs' titles. I'm aware some of you in spirit of Christian love and humility would willingly impale him / her however the moderators' guidelines do not allow us to discipline several times for the same offence (there is something similar in the canon law, isn't it?).

If some of you STILL have some questions please, contact me, as PeterTheAleut pointed out, in private.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 04:58:51 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Pericles

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople. Archdiocese of Thyateira & Great Britain.

« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2013, 11:38:07 AM »

Newsflash! The mutual anathemas have been lifted.

Graecia capta ferum victorem cepit.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2013, 12:00:18 PM »

Newsflash! The mutual anathemas have been lifted.

Yeah, you're gonna have to back this up.

Pericles

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople. Archdiocese of Thyateira & Great Britain.

« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2013, 12:05:25 PM »

Yeah and you're gonna have to beg for it. This is common knowledge and I don't see why I should do your homework!

Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2013, 12:08:19 PM »

The anathemas of Blachernae et al. have been lifted?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 12:08:26 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2013, 12:27:29 PM »

Yeah and you're gonna have to beg for it. This is common knowledge and I don't see why I should do your homework!

Idiocy.

Pericles

« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2013, 12:29:29 PM »

Idiocy.
We noticed Grin

Gamliel
Archon

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2013, 01:24:15 PM »

I thought the Chalcedons were back in communion with the OO. Huh
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2013, 01:25:19 PM »

Smiley

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Pericles

« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2013, 05:15:14 AM »

We are but the OP wasn't aware of it and when it was pointed out one person even asked for corroborating references and links!

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2013, 05:19:41 AM »

We are but the OP wasn't aware of it and when it was pointed out one person even asked for corroborating references and links!

Wrong. The OO and EO are not in communion, irrespective of what individual priests might do. No OO hierarch is on any EO diptychs, there has been no full reconciliation of the two churches. Dialogue, yes. Reconciliation and reunification, no.
Pericles

« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2013, 06:16:53 AM »

Wrong.
Whatever!

"The Holy Synods of both the Coptic Orthodox Church and the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria and all Africa have already accepted the outcome of the official dialogue on Christology between the Orthodox Church and the Oriental Orthodox Churches, including the two official agreements: the first on Christology signed in June 1989 in Egypt and the second also on Christology and on the lifting of anathemas and restoration of full communion signed in Geneva 1990,

Pastoral Agreement between the Coptic Orthodox and Greek Orthodox Patriarchates of Alexandria

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2013, 06:23:59 AM »

Wrong.
Whatever!

"The Holy Synods of both the Coptic Orthodox Church and the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria and all Africa have already accepted the outcome of the official dialogue on Christology between the Orthodox Church and the Oriental Orthodox Churches, including the two official agreements: the first on Christology signed in June 1989 in Egypt and the second also on Christology and on the lifting of anathemas and restoration of full communion signed in Geneva 1990,

Pastoral Agreement between the Coptic Orthodox and Greek Orthodox Patriarchates of Alexandria

Obviously no Orthodox priest, certainly not the Greek or Russian, in my neck of the woods, got the memo.  Roll Eyes I'm talking about at least 25 priests.
Keble
Archon

« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2013, 08:04:02 AM »

What is with the emoticons? I asked a question. Didn't you post something about not taking communion from bishops like Spong?

That's just me and anyone else I can convince to do likewise. It isn't as though it implies any sort of authority. Sorry for getting a bit testy.

Pericles

« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2013, 08:15:44 AM »

Obviously no Orthodox priest, certainly not the Greek or Russian, in my neck of the woods, got the memo.  Roll Eyes I'm talking about at least 25 priests.
Whatever!

The Holy Synods of both the Coptic Orthodox Church and the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria and all Africa

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2013, 08:20:42 AM »

That sounds like a bit of oikonomia on the part of the Alexandrian Patriarchate. No other Patriarchate has joined in, though, as far as I know, so yes... whatever. Roll Eyes

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Tags: Metr. Kallistos Ware 
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: