OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 01:47:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Women who refuse to wear headcoverings at monasteries ...  (Read 4763 times) Average Rating: 0
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2013, 02:23:02 AM »

...I'm saying his words are invalidated by what he does, not by whom he is.)

And the pendulum swings the other way.

Who/whom is doomed.

Can you hear the editors screaming?

That's like asking if I can see these words being typed.

This will give me nightmares tonight.

A kindred spirit.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2013, 02:55:08 AM »

Wow.  Really?  We are arguing about head-coverings?  Must be a slow day....

I see it this way....

As Christians we are to be humble and submissive to our "elders"....

So, if I go to a monastery and they "expect" women to cover their heads....then by all means, I will cover my head.   After all, I CHOSE to go there, they didn't kidnap me. 

If my bishop or pastor instructed me to cover my head, or say my prayers a hundred times, or fast for three days, or not do this or that, or do this or that....or whatever it was.....(as long as it met with Church rules)....I would be obligated to do so.

It's not MY choice.  As a Christian, I humbly should do what I am told to do.  Orthodoxy does not support egotism, or my way or the highway thinking.  It's not about "me".  I have to give up my pride, my ego, my thinking that I am always right, that things must be done the way I want them, etc.....or truly, I am a Christian in name only.

If you cannot succumb to Church authority....then it's useless.  It's pride.....and pride even brought down God's most favored angel of light. 

What we are talking about here, is NOT HEADCOVERINGS....but, PRIDE.

It's not "our" will that is important here....we need to realize that.

Covering our heads is not that big a deal.  If I were told to do so, I would.

At my parish, some do, some don't.....the pastor states it's not that important and our salvation doesn't hinge on it....however, if my bishop or pastor stated Sunday morning that we are to cover....fine.  I would cover. 

I don't come to church to express my individuality.

I come to church to worship my Creator, along with my fellow Christians.  It's not about me.

Orthodox (right thinking) Post of the Month

Maria, please note the bolded sections. I entirely agree with Liza's post, do you?   Wink
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2013, 06:21:10 PM »

Really.  So, was your comment on who is or is not a feminist what you actually believe?  Sorry, but I took it as satire and not just the rambling of a moron, so I answered in like manner.  Was I not correct?

What is with this fetishizing over headcoverings.

Sheeeesh

The purple demons came out early for Lent - especially the equating of headcoverings with the Theotokos.  If you don't agree, you're a feminist.

Or a Godless Greek . . .

Serbs, ROCOR and the Old Calendarist groups believe in headcoverings and God and everyone else is Godless?

Sorry if my well known tendency toward satire escaped your limited ability to understand it.

What you said wasn't satire.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2013, 08:02:45 PM »

Really.  So, was your comment on who is or is not a feminist what you actually believe?

I don't understand you.

Sorry, but I took it as satire and not just the rambling of a moron, so I answered in like manner.  Was I not correct?

I didn't use satire.  I'm the master of the non sequitur.   angel
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2013, 08:26:07 PM »

In any case, you were not totally serious.  Neither was I.

Really.  So, was your comment on who is or is not a feminist what you actually believe?

I don't understand you.

Sorry, but I took it as satire and not just the rambling of a moron, so I answered in like manner.  Was I not correct?

I didn't use satire.  I'm the master of the non sequitur.   angel

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2013, 08:33:46 PM »

In any case, you were not totally serious.  Neither was I.

Fair enough.   Smiley
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2013, 11:09:54 PM »

I'm curious. Do the women who protest against covering their hair at monasteries also refuse to wear a skirt? 

Many monasteries prohibit women from entering if they are wearing pants.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2013, 11:44:12 PM »

I'm curious. Do the women who protest against covering their hair at monasteries also refuse to wear a skirt? 

Many monasteries prohibit women from entering if they are wearing pants.

I doubt that very many women would go to a monastery and refuse to meet the clothing requirements of a monastery.  If I really had a problem with covering my head or wearing a long skirt or dress, I wouldn't go to a monastery.  I don't wear a headcovering, but as you said, I would do it if my priest wanted me (and the other women) to.  When I visit another parish, when I email the priest to let him know that I am coming, I ask about headcoverings.  If it was the policy to wear a headcovering, I would bring one and wear it. 
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: