OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 10:01:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Christians enter pagan temples?  (Read 6820 times) Average Rating: 0
sedevacantist

« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2013, 10:05:52 PM »

you are not allowed to enter into pagan temples
St. Paul says that when the pagans worship their gods they are worshipping devils, and he doesn’t want you to be in communion with devils.  The Vatican II sect, however, endorses these false religions which commit idolatry and worship devils.  This is unspeakably evil; it is a total rejection of the teaching of the Gospel and the Catholic Church, and it is condemned as apostasy by Pope Pius XI in Mortalium Animos.
Pope Clement V, Council of Vienne, 1311-1312: “It is an insult to the holy name and a disgrace to the Christian faith that in certain parts of the world subject to Christian princes where Saracens (i.e., The followers of Islam, also called Muslims) live, sometimes apart, sometimes intermingled with Christians, the Saracen priests, commonly called Zabazala, in their temples or mosques, in which the Saracens meet to adore the infidel Mahomet, loudly invoke and extol his name each day at certain hours from a high place… This brings disrepute on our faith and gives great scandal to the faithful.      These practices cannot be tolerated without displeasing the divine majesty.  We therefore, with the sacred council’s approval, strictly forbid such practices henceforth in Christian lands.  We enjoin on Catholic princes, one and all.. They are to forbid expressly the public invocation of the sacrilegious name of Mahomet… Those who presume to act otherwise are to be so chastised by the princes for their irreverence, that others may be deterred from such boldness.”

The Vatican II sect, however, teaches that Islam is a good and noble religion of “believers.”  This has its foundation in the teaching of Vatican II on Muslims, the real meaning of which is expressed by the heads of the Vatican II sect (John Paul II and Benedict XVI below).  These apostates even encourage the spread of this abominable sect of infidels.

pope John Paul II, March 21, 2000:

“May Saint John the Baptist protect Islam and all the people of Jordan...” (L’ Osservatore Romano, March 29, 2000, p. 2.)

Psalms 95:5- “For all the gods of the Gentiles are devils…”

1 Cor. 10:20- “But the things which the heathens sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God.  And I would not that you should be made partakers with devils.”

Pope Pius XI, Mortalium Animos (#10), Jan. 6, 1928: “… the union of Christians can only be promoted by promoting the return to the one true Church of Christ of those who are separated from it…”

lovesupreme
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2013, 11:14:25 PM »

sedevacantist, at the risk of backseat modding, I think you're out of line here. This thread is not the place to spout your schismatic views. We're not even a Catholic forum!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 11:20:15 PM by lovesupreme » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2013, 01:13:47 AM »

sedevacantist, at the risk of backseat modding, I think you're out of line here. This thread is not the place to spout your schismatic views. We're not even a Catholic forum!
To the contrary, lovesupreme, whereas one can ask whether we really care what sedevacantist has to say on this matter, this particular section of the forum is devoted to dialogue between the Orthodox and other Christians such as sedevacantist. Therefore, sedevacantist is permitted to post his opinion here. Since you admit to some "backseat modding" on this thread, I'm going to say that it looks to me more like vigilante moderation, which is generally not appreciated on this forum.

If you would like to discuss my opinion with me further, please do so only via private message. Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 01:22:41 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2013, 01:29:29 AM »

St. Paul says that when the pagans worship their gods they are worshipping devils, and he doesn’t want you to be in communion with devils.  The Vatican II sect, however, endorses these false religions which commit idolatry and worship devils.  This is unspeakably evil; it is a total rejection of the teaching of the Gospel and the Catholic Church, and it is condemned as apostasy by Pope Pius XI in Mortalium Animos.
Pope Clement V, Council of Vienne, 1311-1312: “It is an insult to the holy name and a disgrace to the Christian faith that in certain parts of the world subject to Christian princes where Saracens (i.e., The followers of Islam, also called Muslims) live, sometimes apart, sometimes intermingled with Christians, the Saracen priests, commonly called Zabazala, in their temples or mosques, in which the Saracens meet to adore the infidel Mahomet, loudly invoke and extol his name each day at certain hours from a high place… This brings disrepute on our faith and gives great scandal to the faithful.      These practices cannot be tolerated without displeasing the divine majesty.  We therefore, with the sacred council’s approval, strictly forbid such practices henceforth in Christian lands.  We enjoin on Catholic princes, one and all.. They are to forbid expressly the public invocation of the sacrilegious name of Mahomet… Those who presume to act otherwise are to be so chastised by the princes for their irreverence, that others may be deterred from such boldness.”

The Vatican II sect, however, teaches that Islam is a good and noble religion of “believers.”  This has its foundation in the teaching of Vatican II on Muslims, the real meaning of which is expressed by the heads of the Vatican II sect (John Paul II and Benedict XVI below).  These apostates even encourage the spread of this abominable sect of infidels.

“May Saint John the Baptist protect Islam and all the people of Jordan...” (L’ Osservatore Romano, March 29, 2000, p. 2.)

1 Cor. 10:20- “But the things which the heathens sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God.  And I would not that you should be made partakers with devils.”

Pope Pius XI, Mortalium Animos (#10), Jan. 6, 1928: “… the union of Christians can only be promoted by promoting the return to the one true Church of Christ of those who are separated from it…”

Now, speaking merely as another poster, with no intent of putting any moderatorial weight behind my comments, I will ask you this: Why should we even care what you have to say on this matter? This is an Orthodox Christian discussion forum, and you are expressing the viewpoint of a traditionalist Roman Catholic. What authority does your word have over us, and how does your grievance against the "Vatican II sect" concern us?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 01:54:33 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2013, 01:53:04 AM »

Just to observe; for cultural events; etc..

I'm interested in Catholic and protestant opinions as well as Orthodox.

I've gone into a Jewish Synagogue for their service (didn't really sing hymns with them or anything) and I've had to go into a Mosque as part of my class.
Deep Roots
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Catholic

« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2013, 01:39:34 PM »

laugh laugh laugh @ sedevacanist

Maybe I'll go to a pagan temple tonight and offer some prayers in your name.

Peace.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2013, 01:47:12 PM »

Apologies if I have told this story before:

A few years ago the TV show Survivor took place in Thai Land. The first episode had a Buddhist "Welcoming Ceremony"

The contestants were to walk up a high stairway into a Buddhist Temple. There they were to bow and then offer up a pinch of incense at the altar.

One contestant was an Evangelical woman who balked at doing any of that. She went up the stairs entered the Temple but then turned on her heels and left.

Jeff Probst was angry with her. "It's just a Welcoming Ceremony. It has no religious significance"

Well not from the Buddhist side of things. They were implanting contact with the Buddha Dharma, even with such a seemingly minor act.

Big no no for Christians...Good for her !

Maybe I can find the you tube and post it later

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2013, 02:16:04 PM »

A few years ago the TV show Survivor took place in Thai Land. The first episode had a Buddhist "Welcoming Ceremony"

The contestants were to walk up a high stairway into a Buddhist Temple. There they were to bow and then offer up a pinch of incense at the altar.

One contestant was an Evangelical woman who balked at doing any of that. She went up the stairs entered the Temple but then turned on her heels and left.

Jeff Probst was angry with her. "It's just a Welcoming Ceremony. It has no religious significance"

Well not from the Buddhist side of things. They were implanting contact with the Buddha Dharma, even with such a seemingly minor act.

I remember this.  I applauded her and lost much respect for Probst after he tried to tell her to ignore her religious conscience.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2013, 04:20:19 PM »

I remember this.  I applauded her and lost much respect for Probst after he tried to tell her to ignore her religious conscience.

A few years back there was something on NatGeo or History, a guy (who is Jewish, I don't recall his name, but I remember that) who was doing some research on the Vikings in New Foundland IIRC, or in Iceland or something.  I had seen him on a number of shows like that, with different cultures/hisotries, etc.  Anyway, he was in ruins of a Church (and I mean ruins-no roof and barely any wall), which had been the scene of a wedding which was the last recorded act in the town (maybe it was in Greenland).  One of the locals was taking him around and at one point she referred to it as Church, in the present tense.  "You mean it is still a Church?" he asked (there no being much to indicate that it was even a building, let alone a church).  "Yes, of course" she replied.  Immediately when she said that, he took off his hat.  I remember making a point of that to my sons.

And good for the Evangelical.  Who's Probst?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2013, 04:20:19 PM »

Comming from and Indian background, I've been to quiet a few Hindu mandirs. I think its okay to go as long as you dont participate in a rituals, prayers, or eat anything that was ritually offered to an idol such as Hindu parshad.
I wouldn't go in the one in Chicago, because we would have to take our shoes off in honor of the idols (their word, btw).

I've been to lots of Egyptian, Greek, Roman etc. temples that were out of service.

But isn't taking your shoes off also just good manners when you are a guest?  Like when you go to someone else's home?  You're doing it not for the idols but because you do not want to offend the people of that faith.
But that's not what Isa is saying. They are saying you have to take your shoes off to honor idols, which I wouldn't do either.
Good man!

I used to take my shoes off in the room of a Hindu girl I knew-until I was told that it was to honor her family's idol.
So did you keep entering her room after you found out about the reason behind her desire for you to take off your shoes?
No.  But I did stick my head in once and saw the idol on its chair, dressed up.

I found out the reason for removing shoes one her subletter lost his keys once, and we were looking for them.  I went into her room and saw a brass carved box, about the size of a show box.  I thought it might be a knick knack box, and looked up to peer into it.  To my shock, I saw a brass man, tucked into a bed, lying its head on a pillow. So I asked "what's that?" "Oh, that's An's idol." "Her WHAT?"  "Her idol.  He's a sleep now because she's out, but when she comes back, she will wake him up, offer him some food, give him a bath and dress him up.  She has all sorts of Ken doll clothes from him.  That's why you have to take your shoes off." "Not because of the rugs."  "No, because of the idol."  I never said anything (we already had, and had more, discussions on Christianity).  I just never went into her room again.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
sedevacantist

« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2013, 07:45:43 PM »

St. Paul says that when the pagans worship their gods they are worshipping devils, and he doesn’t want you to be in communion with devils.  The Vatican II sect, however, endorses these false religions which commit idolatry and worship devils.  This is unspeakably evil; it is a total rejection of the teaching of the Gospel and the Catholic Church, and it is condemned as apostasy by Pope Pius XI in Mortalium Animos.
Pope Clement V, Council of Vienne, 1311-1312: “It is an insult to the holy name and a disgrace to the Christian faith that in certain parts of the world subject to Christian princes where Saracens (i.e., The followers of Islam, also called Muslims) live, sometimes apart, sometimes intermingled with Christians, the Saracen priests, commonly called Zabazala, in their temples or mosques, in which the Saracens meet to adore the infidel Mahomet, loudly invoke and extol his name each day at certain hours from a high place… This brings disrepute on our faith and gives great scandal to the faithful.      These practices cannot be tolerated without displeasing the divine majesty.  We therefore, with the sacred council’s approval, strictly forbid such practices henceforth in Christian lands.  We enjoin on Catholic princes, one and all.. They are to forbid expressly the public invocation of the sacrilegious name of Mahomet… Those who presume to act otherwise are to be so chastised by the princes for their irreverence, that others may be deterred from such boldness.”

The Vatican II sect, however, teaches that Islam is a good and noble religion of “believers.”  This has its foundation in the teaching of Vatican II on Muslims, the real meaning of which is expressed by the heads of the Vatican II sect (John Paul II and Benedict XVI below).  These apostates even encourage the spread of this abominable sect of infidels.

1 Cor. 10:20- “But the things which the heathens sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God.  And I would not that you should be made partakers with devils.”

Now, speaking merely as another poster, with no intent of putting any moderatorial weight behind my comments, I will ask you this: Why should we even care what you have to say on this matter? This is an Orthodox Christian discussion forum, and you are expressing the viewpoint of a traditionalist Roman Catholic. What authority does your word have over us, and how does your grievance against the "Vatican II sect" concern us?
well it said can christians enter pagan temples, I am a christian, I'm giving the view point from the catholic perspectives, the true church and the false, I also quoted scripture on the matter to show how the true church is correct in condemning anyone from entering a pagan temple, if you disagree with the true catholic church on this issue you would have to quote scripture to back up your point, I'm interested to know what the orthodox officially states on the matter...as for grievance against vatican 2 sect I do it because I know there are a few vatican 2 sects on this forum
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2013, 07:52:20 PM »

Who's Probst?

Survivor's "host" I believe. But given who is feeding off who on that pile of garbage seems contrary to the title.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2013, 07:56:32 PM »

Comming from and Indian background, I've been to quiet a few Hindu mandirs. I think its okay to go as long as you dont participate in a rituals, prayers, or eat anything that was ritually offered to an idol such as Hindu parshad.
I wouldn't go in the one in Chicago, because we would have to take our shoes off in honor of the idols (their word, btw).

I've been to lots of Egyptian, Greek, Roman etc. temples that were out of service.

But isn't taking your shoes off also just good manners when you are a guest?  Like when you go to someone else's home?  You're doing it not for the idols but because you do not want to offend the people of that faith.
But that's not what Isa is saying. They are saying you have to take your shoes off to honor idols, which I wouldn't do either.

You should see all the weird ritualized behavior people engage in to worship their TV, computers, phone, etc.

It's weird.

I think I would get a more incensed reaction from knocking over many a person's new TV than some religious artifact they have lying around.

And certainly many of us offer more time to these devices than anything "religious".

And we quibbling over shoes for dolls people play with?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2013, 01:03:39 AM »

well it said can christians enter pagan temples, I am a christian, I'm giving the view point from the catholic perspectives, the true church and the false, I also quoted scripture on the matter to show how the true church is correct in condemning anyone from entering a pagan temple, if you disagree with the true catholic church on this issue you would have to quote scripture to back up your point, I'm interested to know what the orthodox officially states on the matter...as for grievance against vatican 2 sect I do it because I know there are a few vatican 2 sects on this forum
Again, why should we care what you have to say on this matter? We don't believe your sedevacantist version of the Catholic Church to be the true Church, either.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 01:04:27 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2013, 12:55:39 PM »

A few years back there was something on NatGeo or History, a guy (who is Jewish, I don't recall his name, but I remember that) who was doing some research on the Vikings in New Foundland IIRC, or in Iceland or something.  I had seen him on a number of shows like that, with different cultures/hisotries, etc.  Anyway, he was in ruins of a Church (and I mean ruins-no roof and barely any wall), which had been the scene of a wedding which was the last recorded act in the town (maybe it was in Greenland).  One of the locals was taking him around and at one point she referred to it as Church, in the present tense.  "You mean it is still a Church?" he asked (there no being much to indicate that it was even a building, let alone a church).  "Yes, of course" she replied.  Immediately when she said that, he took off his hat.  I remember making a point of that to my sons.

Jeff Probst is the host and producer of "Survivor"..

I recall the show you are talking about.The Jewish archeologist likes to wear a big Raiders of the Lost Arch type hat.

He also has done show in Sinai and found a plant that may have been manna. And he has also gone to Ethiopia as I recall.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2013, 01:01:53 PM »

But isn't taking your shoes off also just good manners when you are a guest?  Like when you go to someone else's home?  You're doing it not for the idols but because you do not want to offend the people of that faith.
Good man!

I used to take my shoes off in the room of a Hindu girl I knew-until I was told that it was to honor her family's idol.
So did you keep entering her room after you found out about the reason behind her desire for you to take off your shoes?
No.  But I did stick my head in once and saw the idol on its chair, dressed up.

I found out the reason for removing shoes one her subletter lost his keys once, and we were looking for them.  I went into her room and saw a brass carved box, about the size of a show box.  I thought it might be a knick knack box, and looked up to peer into it.  To my shock, I saw a brass man, tucked into a bed, lying its head on a pillow. So I asked "what's that?" "Oh, that's An's idol." "Her WHAT?"  "Her idol.  He's a sleep now because she's out, but when she comes back, she will wake him up, offer him some food, give him a bath and dress him up.  She has all sorts of Ken doll clothes from him.  That's why you have to take your shoes off." "Not because of the rugs."  "No, because of the idol."  I never said anything (we already had, and had more, discussions on Christianity).  I just never went into her room again.

I went on a sales call years ago with another Insurance Agent to the home of a very nice Indian family.

They sat us down at the dinning room table which was in front of a very elaborate Hindu Altar. Their was a giant sized Elephant diety and monkey demi-gods and of course Vishnu.. It was distracting.

When we left I said to my buddy.."Well... I have to go get an exorcism now. Have a safe drive home"

sedevacantist

« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2013, 07:07:27 PM »

Again, why should we care what you have to say on this matter? We don't believe your sedevacantist version of the Catholic Church to be the true Church, either.
I quoted scripture , do you care about scripture?
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

OC.net

« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2013, 07:20:05 AM »

I remember that episode. It seemed to me that the opening incident was a setup to embarrass the conservative evangelical Christian. A good old "ha ha" at the expense of someones conscience in the name of multi culturalism.
That woman was tough. It is the only season of that show I watched. They spent a great deal of time trying to break that woman down in terms of her faith. If I recall correctly she nevertheless made it to nearly the end of the season. Admirable.
I wonder if she has maintained her faith or- if after a valliant initial stance - the cumulative effect of the show and consequent fame she "outgrew" her faith.
which brings up a point: our faith is like a coastline and the constant erosion from the pounding waves of secularism and the high tide of cultural popularity will always represent a far greater threat than any pagan religion.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2013, 11:12:04 AM »

I remember that episode. It seemed to me that the opening incident was a setup to embarrass the conservative evangelical Christian. A good old "ha ha" at the expense of someones conscience in the name of multi culturalism.
That woman was tough. It is the only season of that show I watched. They spent a great deal of time trying to break that woman down in terms of her faith. If I recall correctly she nevertheless made it to nearly the end of the season. Admirable.
I wonder if she has maintained her faith or- if after a valliant initial stance - the cumulative effect of the show and consequent fame she "outgrew" her faith.
which brings up a point: our faith is like a coastline and the constant erosion from the pounding waves of secularism and the high tide of cultural popularity will always represent a far greater threat than any pagan religion.

I cant find many you tubes of Survivor Thailand and none showing this incident. Maybe I will go look at the CBS web page.

As I recall she had some sort of radio show.

Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2013, 11:32:38 AM »

in short:  yes.

Peace.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2013, 11:41:25 AM »

Christians can indeed enter Pagan Temples unless they are physically impaired. The more interesting question is should they. Smiley

Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2013, 11:44:58 AM »

Christians can indeed enter Pagan Temples unless they are physically impaired. The more interesting question is should they. Smiley
their conscience can determine that.

And even if they're impaired, maybe the temple has a ramp?   Wink

Peace.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2013, 11:24:10 AM »

their conscience can determine that.

And even if they're impaired, maybe the temple has a ramp?   Wink

Their conscience can help them decide and also understanding the tactics of Pagans and what they hope to accomplish by making such contact.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: