OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 04:46:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nine apostles as judges  (Read 599 times) Average Rating: 0
Larissa

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

« on: February 12, 2013, 09:22:39 AM »

Why are there only nine apostles as judges in this Last Judgment icon and not twelve?

Matthew 19:28 And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ukrainian-Orthodox-Icon-Last-Judgment-The-Day-of-the-Lord-Jesus-Chris-4-x5-/290795976697?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D290800831075%26ps%3D54&nma=true&si=i2ZDKyMeN5ER97Aesdt4SGew37c%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 09:42:24 AM »

Bizarre iconographic whim? Unexplained iconographic convention? No meaning at all--like why half the saints in some Resurrection icons have halos and half do not?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 09:45:52 AM »

Oh my...
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 10:46:15 AM »

Oh my, is right...

Where to begin?

LBK....where are you?

I would say there are a number of things that are "amiss" with this icon.

God the Father, portrayed as an Old Man.....the "eye".....
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 10:46:45 AM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 11:21:34 AM »

My favorite part is the skeleton with the scythe!

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 06:15:43 PM »

Bizarre iconographic whim? Unexplained iconographic convention? No meaning at all--like why half the saints in some Resurrection icons have halos and half do not?

There is, indeed, a meaning to the two groups in icons of the Resurrection.  Smiley

The half (usually to the left of Christ) who bear haloes in icons of the Resurrection are those holy ones who preceded Christ, including the prophets David and Solomon, and, of course, St John the Baptist, the last of the prophets and the bridge between the OT and NT; those to the right represent the Christian faithful who are in the post-Resurrectional era.
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 06:19:15 PM »

How many US Supreme Court Justices are there?

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 06:32:58 PM »

Oh my, is right...

Where to begin?

LBK....where are you?

Oh, I quite agree. Some seriously weird "theology" goin' down there.  Wink

Showing only nine apostles in judgement is definitely wrong. While coming across a Last Judgement without a God the Father or a white dove is extremely difficult, because of the era when most of these were painted was a time where God the Father imagery was unfortunately profuse, all examples I have seen correctly show twelve apostles.

In place of God the Father, it is Christ who should be shown. The theme of the icon and of its feast in the lead-up to Great Lent, is the Second Coming. It was Christ, not the Father, who came, and it will be Christ, not the Father, who will come again.

Here is an example of a "correct" icon:

choy
Archon

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 06:46:21 PM »

Is the Holy Eucharist Icon based on the Last Supper?  Or has Judas already been replaced by someone else (is it St. Paul?  And why not St. Matthias if that is the case?)  Because the Holy Eucharist Icon has 12 Apostles all with Halos, although in the Last Supper icon there is one without a halo (Judas of course).
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 07:04:13 PM »

Is the Holy Eucharist Icon based on the Last Supper?  Or has Judas already been replaced by someone else (is it St. Paul?  And why not St. Matthias if that is the case?)  Because the Holy Eucharist Icon has 12 Apostles all with Halos, although in the Last Supper icon there is one without a halo (Judas of course).

The iconographic convention in many types of compositions is to show St Paul as one of the Twelve. This includes icons of the Dormition, the Communion of the Apostles, the Last Judgement, Pentecost, a great many Apostles' Tiers of iconostases, and, of course, the Assembly of the Twelve. St Paul shares pre-eminence in honor with St Peter, and therefore these two are always shown in prominence in such icons.

Mystical Supper icons carry a different meaning to the others I have mentioned, and so do not feature St Paul.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 08:02:12 PM »

Oh my, is right...

Where to begin?

LBK....where are you?

Oh, I quite agree. Some seriously weird "theology" goin' down there.  Wink

Showing only nine apostles in judgement is definitely wrong. While coming across a Last Judgement without a God the Father or a white dove is extremely difficult, because of the era when most of these were painted was a time where God the Father imagery was unfortunately profuse, all examples I have seen correctly show twelve apostles.

In place of God the Father, it is Christ who should be shown. The theme of the icon and of its feast in the lead-up to Great Lent, is the Second Coming. It was Christ, not the Father, who came, and it will be Christ, not the Father, who will come again.

Here is an example of a "correct" icon:

LBK....can you explain exactly what is depicted in the various "levels"? 

I'm assuming below the Apostles are Adam and Eve???

What's going on in the bottom most level?

Thanks!!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 08:23:41 PM »

Why are there only nine apostles as judges in this Last Judgment icon and not twelve?

Could it be that John and Matthew are depicted among the four evangelists at the feet of Mary and possibly Peter(?) being depicted elsewhere above the nine judges?

Just a thought. I agree it does look strange.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
choy
Archon

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 08:24:34 PM »

and possibly Peter(?) being depicted elsewhere above the nine judges?

Only if this is a Roman Catholic icon.
choy
Archon

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 08:25:59 PM »

Aren't the Apostles the one on the upper part with 6 men to each side?  Just slightly below where the Theotokos is?
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

On Sabbatical until Mid-December

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 08:27:18 PM »

Skeleton? Pssh, you mean the Grim Reaper, dude. Haven't you read the Journey?

"When death came, it was roaring like a lion and was very frightening in appearance. It looked like a human being but had no body; instead it consisted of human bones. Death brought various instruments of torture, such as swords, arrows, javelins, sickles, saws, and others unknown to me. When I saw these, my humble soul trembled with fear. The holy angels said to death: 'Do not tarry, free this soul from its bodily ties, and do it fast and quietly, for she has but a small burden of sins.' Death stepped up to me, took a small axe and separated my legs, then my arms; then with its other instruments it weakened all the rest of my limbs, separating them joint by joint. I lost the use of my arms and legs, my whole body grew numb, and I no longer was able to move. Finally death cut off my head, and I no longer could move it, for it felt as if it belonged to someone else. Lastly, death dissolved in a cup some kind of mixture, and putting the cup to my lips, made me drink. The potion was so bitter that my soul was unable to endure it. It shuddered and went out of my body."

7 days of warning for improper source citation (frankly, lack of it) - MK

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 05:26:09 AM »

"When death came, it was roaring like a lion and was very frightening in appearance. It looked like a human being but had no body; instead it consisted of human bones. Death brought various instruments of torture, such as swords, arrows, javelins, sickles, saws, and others unknown to me. When I saw these, my humble soul trembled with fear. The holy angels said to death: 'Do not tarry, free this soul from its bodily ties, and do it fast and quietly, for she has but a small burden of sins.' Death stepped up to me, took a small axe and separated my legs, then my arms; then with its other instruments it weakened all the rest of my limbs, separating them joint by joint. I lost the use of my arms and legs, my whole body grew numb, and I no longer was able to move. Finally death cut off my head, and I no longer could move it, for it felt as if it belonged to someone else. Lastly, death dissolved in a cup some kind of mixture, and putting the cup to my lips, made me drink. The potion was so bitter that my soul was unable to endure it. It shuddered and went out of my body."

Source, please...
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 05:28:46 AM »

I assume that eventually the link will no longer work and the image will be lost, so here is a shot of the picture/image/whatever in question...

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 05:29:05 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
WeldeMikael
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 05:40:20 AM »

Source, please...

Saint Theodora's Journey.

http://orthodoxinfo.com/death/theodora.aspx
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 05:41:10 AM by WeldeMikael » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 07:30:49 AM »

An icon of Last Judgement without St. Patrick? Is outrage!

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 07:52:16 AM »

Well, we can't fit everybody in.  Wink laugh laugh
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 08:04:34 AM »

Is that a challenge?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 08:22:38 AM »

Well, we sort of already did exactly that. Wink

Larissa

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 12:22:54 PM »

So it remains a mystery why there are only nine apostles as judges and not twelve.

I think I have identified most of the saints - Theotokos, 4 Evangelists, King David, Prophet Moses, Protomartyr Stephen, John the Forerunner, 6 + 6 apostles - but who are the first two saints in the upper left hand corner (above king David)?
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 12:25:34 PM »

+1

So it remains a mystery why there are only nine apostles as judges and not twelve.

It remains a mystery why my graphic processor does not crash while processing it.
Larissa

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 12:56:15 PM »

It remains a mystery why my graphic processor does not crash while processing it.
A very similar icon - the same composition but different colours - used to be in the cell of a Russian elder (staretz) and was given to my priest after the elder died. The priest put it on the wall of his church (Patriarchate of Moscow).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 12:57:32 PM by Larissa » Logged
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 01:27:04 PM »

I'm talking about rendition. It looks like 90' cartoon show. Something like that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAkL2-vh2Sk
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 02:13:10 PM »

I'm talking about rendition. It looks like 90' cartoon show. Something like that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAkL2-vh2Sk

Blast from the past!

choy
Archon

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 03:30:56 PM »

Maybe the Final Judgement does not require an en banc.
Tags: Last Judgment icon 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: