OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 11:40:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conversion causing contention between my wife and myself  (Read 5524 times) Average Rating: 0
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2013, 12:30:40 AM »

Thank you, militantsparrow.

Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.
Stepan

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2013, 11:54:30 AM »

A difficult situation to be in for sure. My wife wasn't to crazy about the Orthodox Church either. For me the pull to Orthodoxy began while a postulant in the Reformed Episcopal Church. For a number of reasons, I rescinded my candidacy and we left the REC. She knew I had an eye on the Orthodox Church and flat out said - "I don't want to go to the Orthodox Church". We spent a short time in a Lutheran Church and together decided we just didn't identify with Protestantism any longer and, at her urging, started RCIA classes at a Roman parish. Long story short, I did finally sit her down and told her that I simply couldn't stay away from the Orthodox Church any longer and told her that I was not going to force the issue and that I had no problem with the idea that she may choose to stay the course with the RCC. My son also wanted to go the Orthodox Church so this eventually influenced her to go. Wasn't to crazy about it at first but after a year of regular attendance and catechumen classes, She embraced Orthodoxy and we were Chrismated as a family in 2011.

I know it is frustrating but be patient. I took years before we finally entered the Church.
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2013, 11:35:22 AM »

Congrats Maximus Bob and Stepan!
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2013, 12:22:22 AM »

Some pics of the family and I becoming Catechumans.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2013, 12:25:55 AM »

One more going up for the Catechuman prayers for the first time.

SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2013, 12:26:36 AM »

How're things coming along, 6 weeks into the cathechumenate?   Huh
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2013, 12:54:56 AM »

Well, thanks for asking.  There haven't been any disagreements. My wife spent the afternoon with her sponsor today at a church member's bridal shower.  Her sponsor is coming over later in the week with her kids to have a playdate with our kids.  My wife is directly kissing icons now and we always go up for the blessing at the end of the liturgy together.  Of course we're not expecting the next step for a bit so that may be helping but for now I'm comfortable she is comfortable and we're living one day at a time.  Smiley

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2013, 01:00:23 AM »

Well, thanks for asking.  There haven't been any disagreements. My wife spent the afternoon with her sponsor today at a church member's bridal shower.  Her sponsor is coming over later in the week with her kids to have a playdate with our kids.  My wife is directly kissing icons now and we always go up for the blessing at the end of the liturgy together.  Of course we're not expecting the next step for a bit so that may be helping but for now I'm comfortable she is comfortable and we're living one day at a time.  Smiley

The 8 people I count in your most recent picture of receiving the cathechumen prayers - all of you are cathecumens or some of you are your sponsors and their families?

What is the "next step" that you mentioned?  As long as your wife remains comfortable with the process, that is wonderful news.   Smiley
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2013, 06:15:18 AM »

Thanks for the photos Bob.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2013, 07:59:41 AM »

The 8 people I count in your most recent picture of receiving the cathechumen prayers - all of you are cathecumens or some of you are your sponsors and their families?

What is the "next step" that you mentioned?  As long as your wife remains comfortable with the process, that is wonderful news.   Smiley
In that pic, in front of the iconostasis, there are two families of catechumans. My family is on the left and unfortunately my youngest is standing in front of us and is not visible.
The next step I'm referencing is the baptism and chrismation of our daughters and chrismation of my wife and myself.

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2013, 01:52:11 PM »

In that pic, in front of the iconostasis, there are two families of catechumans. My family is on the left and unfortunately my youngest is standing in front of us and is not visible.
The next step I'm referencing is the baptism and chrismation of our daughters and chrismation of my wife and myself.

I thought you were referring to intermediate steps between becoming cathechumens and being baptized/chrismated.
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #101 on: August 19, 2013, 04:21:06 PM »

Depending on how detailed your being I may or may not be aware of intermediate steps.Obviously I wasn't referencing intermediate steps but now you've made me curious as to what steps you might be referencing.

Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2013, 04:21:57 PM »

Your welcome Achronos.

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2013, 05:17:06 PM »

Depending on how detailed your being I may or may not be aware of intermediate steps.Obviously I wasn't referencing intermediate steps but now you've made me curious as to what steps you might be referencing.

If your family develops further questions during the cathechumenate; that's what I meant by intermediate steps.  Forgive me if I have caused any confusion or concern.   angel
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2013, 06:50:11 PM »

Think nothing of it. No offense has been commited.  Smiley

Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2013, 01:55:27 AM »

Just a quick update. Things with my wife and I are going well. She seems comfortable and set on moving forward. It is indeed being worth the wait.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: