OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 05:03:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grounding-breaking moves by Pope Benedict XVI  (Read 1646 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« on: February 11, 2013, 08:25:44 PM »

I'm wondering how many shocking/startling/groundbreaking moves by Pope Benedict we can name.

The most obvious one, of course, is the one just announced today (which already has its own thread in the News section: The Pope to resign?!?! / Pope Benedict XVI resigns / Pope set to resign on Feb. 28th).

Others?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
choy
Archon

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 08:26:53 PM »

Hopefully he'll excommunicate the SSPX before the 28th
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 08:27:31 PM »

Why would you say such an awful thing?

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:27:39 PM »

Being German.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
choy
Archon

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 08:28:37 PM »

Excommunicating renegades is awful?
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 08:33:01 PM »

Excommunicating renegades is awful?
The SSPX is in greater agreement with Vatican II than is the run of the mill Fr. Bob who dissents from every manner of Church teaching. We need to keep workign with SSPX pastorally, in order to get them regularized.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 08:33:51 PM by Papist » Logged

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
choy
Archon

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 08:39:42 PM »

The SSPX is in greater agreement with Vatican II than is the run of the mill Fr. Bob who dissents from every manner of Church teaching. We need to keep workign with SSPX pastorally, in order to get them regularized.

They need to be excommunicated until such a time that they are in agreement with Rome.  Given that they do not have a ministry in the Roman Catholic Church yet continuously operates their chapels is a sign of distension against the Pope.  Excommunication doesn't mean the end of the road (why do Roman Catholics think that excommunication is like casting one onto hell?), it just gives a clear signal that they are not to be associated with by everyday Catholics until such a time that all issues have been resolved.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 08:43:05 PM »

They need to be excommunicated until such a time that they are in agreement with Rome.  Given that they do not have a ministry in the Roman Catholic Church yet continuously operates their chapels is a sign of distension against the Pope.  Excommunication doesn't mean the end of the road (why do Roman Catholics think that excommunication is like casting one onto hell?), it just gives a clear signal that they are not to be associated with by everyday Catholics until such a time that all issues have been resolved.
Following this premise, how many bishops and priests would have to excommunicated around the world?

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 08:49:38 PM »

Following this premise, how many bishops and priests would have to excommunicated around the world?
Wait. I thought you supported excommunication of 'liberal' Catholics?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 08:51:06 PM »

My point is that before we go after the SSPX who is almost complete agreement with Rome, why are we not going after truly heretical, liberal, priests and bishops?

choy
Archon

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 08:52:06 PM »

I don't know how many.  But certainly any dissenter would either have to be excommunicated or deposed.  Or both.  The SSPX has so far done more harm than good to the Roman Catholic Church.  I don't see how being suspicious of anyone within your own Church outside your little group promotes a healthy spirituality.
choy
Archon

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 08:52:39 PM »

My point is that before we go after the SSPX who is almost complete agreement with Rome, why are we not going after truly heretical, liberal, priests and bishops?

Why does it have to be an order?  Besides, the SSPX are more visible and have been on this track for over 30 years.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 09:02:05 PM »

Why does it have to be an order?  Besides, the SSPX are more visible and have been on this track for over 30 years.
1. The liberals have been on this path since the 1960s.
2. The SSPX actually believes what the Church teaches.

choy
Archon

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 09:05:06 PM »

No.  The SSPX believes what they believe to be what the RCChurch teaches, not what the RCChurch actually teaches.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 09:06:08 PM »

No.  The SSPX believes what they believe to be what the RCChurch teaches, not what the RCChurch actually teaches.
Not sure I agree with you about that. But let's make this clear. Liberal priests and bishops know that they are dissenting from the Church and do it anyway.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 09:07:19 PM »

Getting a Twitter account.

REVOLUTIONARY.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 09:10:34 PM »

Saw thread title.

Entered thread expecting to see the Pope dancing.

Son I am disappoint.

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
choy
Archon

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 09:10:59 PM »

Not sure I agree with you about that. But let's make this clear. Liberal priests and bishops know that they are dissenting from the Church and do it anyway.

I'm not disagreeing that they are on the same boat as the SSPX.  But the SSPX is an organized group who as a group stands for all things they dissent about.  Liberal priests and bishops aren't as identifiable.  Some of course become known through infamy.  I don't know why you keep bringing up the liberal clerics to this discussion, I only brought up the SSPX.  I'm not saying they should not be excommunicated, so time to let it go.  The issue here is the SSPX.
choy
Archon

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 09:11:34 PM »

REVOLUTIONARY.

Perhaps why he is resigning.  Another man is claimed by the internet.  He can't do his job anymore because of that.  Grin
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 09:12:51 PM »

I'm not disagreeing that they are on the same boat as the SSPX.  But the SSPX is an organized group who as a group stands for all things they dissent about.  Liberal priests and bishops aren't as identifiable.  Some of course become known through infamy.  I don't know why you keep bringing up the liberal clerics to this discussion, I only brought up the SSPX.  I'm not saying they should not be excommunicated, so time to let it go.  The issue here is the SSPX.
I don't think they are heretical. The have issues with some statements from VII, but that does not mean that they are dissenting from the faith. VII was a pastoral council, and if there is good reason to question the way a statement from VII was worded, then so be it. I agree that in some ways the SSPX is disobedient, but I don't think that excommunication is the way to fix the problem.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 09:14:53 PM »

REVOLUTIONARY.

Perhaps why he is resigning.  Another man is claimed by the internet.  He can't do his job anymore because of that.  Grin

Yeah, Twitter wars catch everyone, sooner or later. Smiley

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2013, 09:16:37 PM »

REVOLUTIONARY.

Are you implying that Benedict XVI is spending all his time lurking and posting on orthodoxchristianity.net under an assumed name?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2013, 09:17:38 PM »

REVOLUTIONARY.

Are you implying that Benedict XVI is spending all his time lurking and posting on orthodoxchristianity.net under an assumed name?
Plot Twist, Isa is actually Pope Benedict.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 09:24:51 PM »

I knew it!

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

spcasuncoast.org
choy
Archon

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 09:32:49 PM »

I don't think they are heretical. The have issues with some statements from VII, but that does not mean that they are dissenting from the faith. VII was a pastoral council, and if there is good reason to question the way a statement from VII was worded, then so be it. I agree that in some ways the SSPX is disobedient, but I don't think that excommunication is the way to fix the problem.

You seem to be confused between excommunication and anathemization (is that a word?).  Excommunication isn't only about heresy.  There are canonical issues and there are theological disputes.  That itself is more than a good enough reason to break communion for now while the dialogue moves forward towards a resolution.
choy
Archon

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 09:33:51 PM »

REVOLUTIONARY.

Nah.  He wouldn't have time for OC.net given ever growing number of tweeps.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 10:04:56 PM »

Saw thread title.

laugh

Maybe I was wrong when I said this forum is the black hole of humor.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 10:06:57 PM »

REVOLUTIONARY.

Nah.  He wouldn't have time for OC.net given ever growing number of tweeps.
I never disagree when some one tells me I'm confused. Smiley

podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 11:21:58 PM »

Saw thread title.

Son I am disappoint.

His inside move to the basket and fall away jumper are awesome. However, his defense is an issue. Also, it's always about him and that's an historic locker room issue. Definitely not a team player...oh....sorry, I thought this was about Melo and the Knicks.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 01:27:40 PM »

REVOLUTIONARY.

LOL!!

That's great--a German Pope masquerading as an Arab Orthodox anti-Pope  Grin Grin.  No wonder he's resigning--the cognitive dissonance must be totally overwhelming  Cool.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2013, 01:28:47 PM »

Saw thread title.

Son I am disappoint.

His inside move to the basket and fall away jumper are awesome. However, his defense is an issue. Also, it's always about him and that's an historic locker room issue. Definitely not a team player...oh....sorry, I thought this was about Melo and the Knicks.

Cardinal Lin.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2013, 05:05:31 PM »

i think we should pray for the catholic church lots and lots. it's obviously a big and difficult time for them and the enemy wants to make a mess there.
may God have mercy.

by the way, i don't understand all the stuff in this thread about sspx
(society of something or other about the previous roman patriarch pious the tenth).

1. what does it actually stand for again? (i always get confused)

2. why are they antiChrists / part of the 'illuminati' bringing the end of world etc. etc? (most popular internet opinion if you try and fail to get a straight answer about who they actually are)

3. why are they not the above, but actually a brilliant and special group and helping to keep the catholic church on the straight path? (i met a really nice catholic guy recently that had this opinion, but that was before the resignation and the lightning)

4. i mean why does everyone have really strong feelings about them? what have they been up to?

5. are they not just some minor group within the catholic church that likes to speak in latin? (my understanding so far)

i would like answers to include some brief history of what they did, and an explanation of which groups think they are wonderful and which hate them.
if this can be done without anyone getting offended, that would be great, as i am honestly trying to make sense of  all the rubbish on the internet. i heard nothing about them when i was protestant, and have had nothing from the coptic church on them, so i am really in the dark.
i realise this is orthodoxChristianity.net, so i apologise in advance to all the people i have already offended without meaning to.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2013, 05:20:04 PM »

i think we should pray for the catholic church lots and lots. it's obviously a big and difficult time for them and the enemy wants to make a mess there.
may God have mercy.

(society of something or other about the previous roman patriarch pious the tenth).

2. why are they antiChrists / part of the 'illuminati' bringing the end of world etc. etc? (most popular internet opinion if you try and fail to get a straight answer about who they actually are)

3. why are they not the above, but actually a brilliant and special group and helping to keep the catholic church on the straight path? (i met a really nice catholic guy recently that had this opinion, but that was before the resignation and the lightning)

4. i mean why does everyone have really strong feelings about them? what have they been up to?

5. are they not just some minor group within the catholic church that likes to speak in latin? (my understanding so far)

i would like answers to include some brief history of what they did, and an explanation of which groups think they are wonderful and which hate them.
if this can be done without anyone getting offended, that would be great, as i am honestly trying to make sense of  all the rubbish on the internet. i heard nothing about them when i was protestant, and have had nothing from the coptic church on them, so i am really in the dark.
i realise this is orthodoxChristianity.net, so i apologise in advance to all the people i have already offended without meaning to.
Here is my understanding:
The Society of Saint Pius X believes that Vatican II is a non-binding council that is in error on some matters. They also believe that that the move from the old Latin mass to the new mass was a big mistake. When the Latin mass very greatly suppressed, the founder of SSPX ordained several bishops without the approval of Rome, in order to continue their traditional Catholic mission. As a result of this act of disobedience, the clergy of SSPX were excommunicated.
Pope Benedict, in an attempt to heal the rift between the Vatican and SSPX, removed the excommunication. Unfortunately, the SSPX remains obstinate in its rejection of VII and so, they remain in cannonical limbo.
The problem with the SSPX is their disobedience to Rome in ordaining bishops without approval from the Pope, and their rejection of VII.
However, the ironic thing is that SSPX is in greater agreement with VII than many of the liberal priests and bishops we have been dealing with over the past 50 years. In fact, one might argue that the SSPX is not so much in disagreement with Rome, as they misunderstand the proper interpretation of VII. While I don't approve of their disobedience, they still remain a healthy corrective to current state of the Church.

choy
Archon

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2013, 05:44:12 PM »

may God have mercy.

if this can be done without anyone getting offended, that would be great, as i am honestly trying to make sense of  all the rubbish on the internet. i heard nothing about them when i was protestant, and have had nothing from the coptic church on them, so i am really in the dark.
The Society of Saint Pius X believes that Vatican II is a non-binding council that is in error on some matters. They also believe that that the move from the old Latin mass to the new mass was a big mistake. When the Latin mass very greatly suppressed, the founder of SSPX ordained several bishops without the approval of Rome, in order to continue their traditional Catholic mission. As a result of this act of disobedience, the clergy of SSPX were excommunicated.
Pope Benedict, in an attempt to heal the rift between the Vatican and SSPX, removed the excommunication. Unfortunately, the SSPX remains obstinate in its rejection of VII and so, they remain in cannonical limbo.
The problem with the SSPX is their disobedience to Rome in ordaining bishops without approval from the Pope, and their rejection of VII.
However, the ironic thing is that SSPX is in greater agreement with VII than many of the liberal priests and bishops we have been dealing with over the past 50 years. In fact, one might argue that the SSPX is not so much in disagreement with Rome, as they misunderstand the proper interpretation of VII. While I don't approve of their disobedience, they still remain a healthy corrective to current state of the Church.

Don't forget that Rome clearly stated that they have no active ministry in the Church, yet still operates all their chapels and tells people they are a Roman Catholic chapel.  I think this is the biggest one.

Also Pope Benedict last year said he'll have a decision on this matter by the Fall.  It already almost Spring and he is on the way out of the Papacy and this thing has yet to be brought to a conclusion.

By the way, despite what the SSPX claim they believe, I have never met an SSPX member who believes that the Pauline Mass to be valid.  How can that be "mostly in agreement with the Church" when your normative Liturgy is viewed as invalid?  Can one person be Orthodox and say that only St. Basil's Liturgy is valid and not St. John Chrysostom's?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 05:46:26 PM by choy » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2013, 06:34:59 PM »

may God have mercy.

if this can be done without anyone getting offended, that would be great, as i am honestly trying to make sense of  all the rubbish on the internet. i heard nothing about them when i was protestant, and have had nothing from the coptic church on them, so i am really in the dark.

Don't forget that Rome clearly stated that they have no active ministry in the Church, yet still operates all their chapels and tells people they are a Roman Catholic chapel.  I think this is the biggest one.

Also Pope Benedict last year said he'll have a decision on this matter by the Fall.  It already almost Spring and he is on the way out of the Papacy and this thing has yet to be brought to a conclusion.

By the way, despite what the SSPX claim they believe, I have never met an SSPX member who believes that the Pauline Mass to be valid.  How can that be "mostly in agreement with the Church" when your normative Liturgy is viewed as invalid?  Can one person be Orthodox and say that only St. Basil's Liturgy is valid and not St. John Chrysostom's?

People say things like that on this board all the time.

spcasuncoast.org
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2013, 08:17:32 PM »

may God have mercy.

I was going to say that they're Catholicism's main "traditionalist" group, but I see that Papist (Chris) has already posted a much better explanation.  Smiley

choy
Archon

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2013, 08:20:27 PM »

may God have mercy.

I was going to say that they're Catholicism's main "traditionalist" group, but I see that Papist (Chris) has already posted a much better explanation.  Smiley

Part of Roman Catholic Tradition is fealty to the Pope.  So when he says you don't have a ministry, you shouldn't be offering public Masses in your chapels.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2013, 08:25:44 PM »

REVOLUTIONARY.

LOL!!

That's great--a German Pope masquerading as an Arab Orthodox anti-Pope  Grin Grin.  No wonder he's resigning--the cognitive dissonance must be totally overwhelming  Cool.
Or he just can't find himself on the map.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2013, 10:43:33 PM »

don't make me merge the sspx stuff into an existing sspx thread ---username! section moderator

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2013, 07:15:20 PM »

dear username, please post a link and tell me what page to start reading (sorry, i can't bear to wade through 15 pages of 50 posts each...)
the little comments so far are very useful.

for what it's worth, i think the main (?only) good thing about vatican 2 was changing the mass into a language the people speak.
saying you are 'traditionalist', yet insisting 99% people worship in a foreign language (latin) seems to me to be missing the point of all the church missionaries of the first 1,000 years!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2013, 07:19:58 PM »

dear username, please post a link and tell me what page to start reading (sorry, i can't bear to wade through 15 pages of 50 posts each...)

for what it's worth, i think the main (?only) good thing about vatican 2 was changing the mass into a language the people speak.
saying you are 'traditionalist', yet insisting 99% people worship in a foreign language (latin) seems to me to be missing the point of all the church missionaries of the first 1,000 years!

Ironic that we Orthodox talk so much about using the vernacular, when there are probably now more Orthodox who don't understand their worship services than Catholics.

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2013, 07:21:06 PM »

Not to be a pain, but Latin was used for hundreds of years in much of Western Europe, and over the years, mutated into the Romance languages. (French, Spanish, Italian, etc.) So, there was a time when it was not too far removed from the public who heard the Mass. Also, they used to teach Latin in Catholic school, at least in North America. That's all I wanted to throw in. I'll go back in the box now.  Lips Sealed

spcasuncoast.org
choy
Archon

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2013, 07:21:45 PM »

Summorum Pontificum is indeed groundbreaking, at least for the RC traditionalists.  I don't mean to turn this thread into about the SSPX, but I really think that next groundbreaking move is long overdue and I wish he would pull the trigger in the next 2 weeks.  With German precision, Pope Benedict has done all the right things and said all the right words, its about time that extremists from both sides (left and right) be sent that message.  He could also throw down a couple of excommunications to the pro-abort politicians in the US just to send a message.
choy
Archon

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2013, 07:24:12 PM »

Not to be a pain, but Latin was used for hundreds of years in much of Western Europe, and over the years, mutated into the Romance languages. (French, Spanish, Italian, etc.) So, there was a time when it was not too far removed from the public who heard the Mass. Also, they used to teach Latin in Catholic school, at least in North America. That's all I wanted to throw in. I'll go back in the box now.  Lips Sealed

Latin was fine when they were confined to Western Europe.  But do you expect the Asians and Africans to learn a totally foreign language?  At least South Americans adopted Spanish (and Portugese for Brazil) which are those Romance Languages.  There is already a lot to learn about the faith as it is, why complicate it further with having people learn a new language?
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2013, 07:45:52 PM »

choy, i said i don't speak latin! (even though i did study it a bit at school)
so what is summorum pontificum?
and why is it groundbreaking?
(my school latin was related to the love affair between dido and aeneas, nothing papal going on there.)

and is opus dei the same as sspx? (i still don't know what sspx stands for).
if not, which one of them is (supposed to be) taking over the world as part of the illuminati?
why do conspiracy theorists believe in aliens and still expect us to take them seriously?
(ok, u can ignore that last question, just in my mind it's related to the others, but you will probably consider it off topic).
sorry, for all the questions, shall i start a new thread on 'mabsoota's great catholic confusion'?
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: