OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 08:43:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Converting when not able to travel  (Read 646 times) Average Rating: 0
Katie

« on: February 11, 2013, 08:46:58 AM »

Hello everyone, first time posting on the forum.

I am wondering if anyone can advise me? I am living in SW Ireland and have been interested in Orthodox Christianity for some time.
Like most Irish I was brought up in RC faith by devout parents. I have always had strong faith but in the last 20 years after being abroad I find myself increasingly drawn to the Orthodox church. I confided in others and attended theology discussion groups where I met Christians who invited me to their churches and was advised that I was just homesick for the old Irish churches, that I would get used to the modern spartan RC church of the local parish. My local church seemed little different from the local Baptist church nearby. Having returned home I find that I feel even more that I am alienated from my RC parish. I came home after my husband left to "find himself" and I got back on my feet, raised my children by myself ,and found peace though prayer. I can no longer drive due to a serious medical condition, and so I find myself unable to travel to Orthodox services which would be financially impossible for me. I would love to know more about the Orthodox Church. For the last number of years I have become more and more drawn to the Church. If anyone could advise me on the catechism or point me in the right direction I would be grateful. This is something I have thought about and is not a whim. I have spoken to others about this (indeed they look at me as if I am "cracked"), but trying to explain this pull or desire within me gets me funny looks!
Sorry for the long novel!
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 09:06:19 AM »

Welcome to OC.net, and God bless your path. It is going to be a hard one, but somehow I don't think you were brought this far to be abandoned now. Smiley

A first, surface search shows that your nearest Orthodox parish is in Cork, with liturgy once a month. Would that be manageable/affordable for you?

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Katie

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 10:26:39 AM »

Thank you for your kind words Arachne, I am some distance from Cork but  some weekends I might be able to stay not far from the city.
I would be delighted to attend a service there, I wasn't aware there was a Church Smiley
Have you any idea when services are on or where I can find out?
God bless
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:27:05 AM by Katie » Logged
leap of faith

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 10:27:04 AM »

Welcome to the board, Katie!  I, and many others here, understand much of what you are going through.  I remember well the looks I got from people if I dared to speak of the draw I had to the Orthodox Church.  It was as if a third eye had appeared on my forehead!  I also live in a rather isolated area, with the nearest parish being 100 miles from my home.  It was not an easy nor convenient path to travel. While I have no concrete advice for you, I write to encourage you to persevere.  It was one year ago today that I was received into the Orthodox Church and I'd rather live as an isolated Orthodox for the rest of my earthly days than to be surrounded by others at the churches "around the corner."  I am finally at peace.  I pray that you, too, will experience the same.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 10:33:39 AM »

Thank you for your kind words Arachne, I am some distance from Cork but  some weekends I might be able to stay not far from the city.
I would be delighted to attend a service there, I wasn't aware there was a Church Smiley
Have you any idea when services are on or where I can find out?
God bless

Antiochian Parish Directory

The Cork chapter seems to be an annex of Dublin, that's why there are fewer services.

I'm sure the priests serving there would answer all your questions and perhaps a solution for catechism classes can be found. Smiley

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
finbar
Finbar

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: antiochian

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 11:38:23 AM »

Dear Katie, the Holy Spirit is with you. I am one of the growing community of Orthodox Christians in the South West of Ireland. We  are part of the newly established " Queen of All" Parish serving the Munster area of Ireland . We consist mainly of converts from Roman Catholicism. We have parish members in West Cork, Limerick, North Kerry, Tralee, and Killarney, and Cahirciveen . We have Divine  ne Liturgy in  Cork once a month  and we attennd other Orthoxies in Limerick , and Cork regularly. We are in close contact with each other,  are very supportive through phone contact  and visits. We would be happy to welcome you into our Orthodox community in Munster. I rarely log on to this forum but was sitting in a Doctor's waiting room in Tralee, and for some reason decided to today. Contact me by email on the following email address, I am not
Using the @ symbol because it attracts spam . So where I write "at" please insert the @ symbol...contact me John on
corneliusdoodle 'at" hotmail.com
I do hope that you get in touch ...John in Kerry Smiley

"Nothing troubles the man who is given over to the will of God.....He knows that the Lord in His mercy is solicitous for us.....But the proud and the self-willed do not want to surrender to God's will.." St Siluan the Athonite
leap of faith

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 11:44:03 AM »

Dear Katie, the Holy Spirit is with you. I am one of the growing community of Orthodox Christians in the South West of Ireland. We  are part of the newly established " Queen of All" Parish serving the Munster area of Ireland . We consist mainly of converts from Roman Catholicism. We have parish members in West Cork, Limerick, North Kerry, Tralee, and Killarney, and Cahirciveen . We have Divine  ne Liturgy in  Cork once a month  and we attennd other Orthoxies in Limerick , and Cork regularly. We are in close contact with each other,  are very supportive through phone contact  and visits. We would be happy to welcome you into our Orthodox community in Munster. I rarely log on to this forum but was sitting in a Doctor's waiting room in Tralee, and for some reason decided to today. Contact me by email on the following email address, I am not
Using the @ symbol because it attracts spam . So where I write "at" please insert the @ symbol...contact me John on
corneliusdoodle 'at" hotmail.com
I do hope that you get in touch ...John in Kerry Smiley

Glory to God!
finbar
Finbar

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: antiochian

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 12:01:14 PM »

Ps Our Parish is part of the Antiochian Patriarchate, Our clergy are Fand Fr John Hickey. If you google Ancient Faith Radio its podcasts are à wonderful resource for people approaching Orthodoxy..especially thé séries "thé intersection of east and West"

"Nothing troubles the man who is given over to the will of God.....He knows that the Lord in His mercy is solicitous for us.....But the proud and the self-willed do not want to surrender to God's will.." St Siluan the Athonite
Katie

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 01:45:24 PM »

John, thanks a million for your kind reply, I am so happy to see that I am not only one Smiley and you will be hearing from me.

I am truly amazed at this forum and that people took the time to reply to me.
Leap of Faith's post made me laugh out loud..the bit about the third eye Grin
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 05:36:13 PM »

i have good friends (coptic orthodox) in galway and dublin.
send a personal message if you would like me to ask them to get in touch with you.
i am in uk, so not very close.
may God guide you and show you His love.
Katie

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 07:11:33 AM »

Thanks Maboota, sorry for not replying.. I just read your post. Finbar (John) was in touch with me about services in Cork and Limerick so hopefully I will get to see the Liturgy . In the meantime I am doing lots of reading and listening to conversion stories.Lots to learn..
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: