OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 01:54:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Pope to resign?!?! / Pope Benedict XVI resigns / Pope set to resign on Feb. 28th  (Read 16385 times) Average Rating: 0
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #450 on: February 21, 2013, 09:34:39 AM »

Thanks for the link.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #451 on: February 21, 2013, 10:31:25 AM »

I see. And you would separate the two? (Ecclesiology from faithfulness to tradition)

I don't really get it, but okay. Smiley

Do you think you cannot practice your faith just because a bishop is claiming universal ordinary jurisdiction?

I think the issue is more that he claims it dogmatically.

Not necessarily, but when you cannot openly teach against errors embraced and propagated by said infallible and universal bishop and/or his particular church, it does seem to create problems...and cognitive dissonance among those beneath said bishop in such a scheme who happen to know better. Wink

The fight wasn't for me, but there are those who recognize the problems but chose to persevere to remain in that communion in the hopes that they can bring about change.  We should pray for such people and support them.

Key word being "remain". It's not like I left Orthodoxy for Catholicism.

(Well, key for me anyhow. I'm aware of course that there are many Catholics who say "If I were Orthodox, I would convert to Catholicism.")

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
choy
Archon

« Reply #452 on: February 21, 2013, 11:56:58 AM »

Or maybe the Eastern Pope will do away with the Roman Rite and just use the Byzantine Rite. Wink

That was what I had in mind. Imagine, millions and millions of people thinking they're watching Christmas Pontifical Mass on TV and suddenly there's an iconostasis and the Pope appears in his omophorion and starts with "Blessed is the Kingdom...". It would be even better if it's in Greek  Smiley

No.  He should translate the Divine Liturgy in Latin and people wouldn't know the difference between a Tridentine Mass.  Seriously, nobody speaks Latin.  Grin Cheesy
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #453 on: February 21, 2013, 12:07:29 PM »

Or maybe the Eastern Pope will do away with the Roman Rite and just use the Byzantine Rite. Wink

That was what I had in mind. Imagine, millions and millions of people thinking they're watching Christmas Pontifical Mass on TV and suddenly there's an iconostasis and the Pope appears in his omophorion and starts with "Blessed is the Kingdom...". It would be even better if it's in Greek  Smiley

No.  He should translate the Divine Liturgy in Latin and people wouldn't know the difference between a Tridentine Mass.  Seriously, nobody speaks Latin.  Grin Cheesy

Italians would understand it somewhat.  I studies Latin and Italian in the Franciscan seminary and would often onfuse the 2.  My Latin professor also taught me Latin and always got a good laugh out of my mistakes.  I remember a Catholic priest asking some Italians how they liked the Mass in Italian, they responded, "Wasn't it always in Italian?"

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #454 on: February 21, 2013, 12:49:55 PM »

Given its present rules, it can happen now.  Question: why doesn't it? Roll Eyes

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #455 on: February 21, 2013, 01:38:13 PM »

I do  Shocked

And did you watch the video of Patriarch John X's enthronement liturgy? One of the supplications was in Latin. So a Latin DL is possible. Erasmus translated the DL in Latin, I think.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 01:42:24 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #456 on: February 21, 2013, 01:38:50 PM »

Given its present rules, it can happen now.  Question: why doesn't it? Roll Eyes

It has happened in the past.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #457 on: February 21, 2013, 02:07:30 PM »

I do  Shocked

And did you watch the video of Patriarch John X's enthronement liturgy? One of the supplications was in Latin. So a Latin DL is possible. Erasmus translated the DL in Latin, I think.
My priest does all the "inaudible" prayers during DL in Latin, and does the Hours in Latin.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #458 on: February 21, 2013, 04:22:08 PM »

Because of the significant price and effort involved in converting thousands of sanctuaries into ones acceptable for use in the Eastern Rites and training priests to practice them?

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #459 on: February 21, 2013, 04:30:08 PM »

Because of the significant price and effort involved in converting thousands of sanctuaries into ones acceptable for use in the Eastern Rites and training priests to practice them?
I've seen it done many a time, with far less resources than the Vatican has.

Roll out an icon screen across the boundary of the nave and transept, get those "Italo-Greek Albanian Catholics" whose Metropolitan resides in the Vatican (their only remaining monastery is located in Rome), and voila!

Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #460 on: February 21, 2013, 04:34:15 PM »

Roll out an icon screen across the boundary of the nave and transept, get those "Italo-Greek Albanian Catholics" whose Metropolitan resides in the Vatican (their only remaining monastery is located in Rome), and voila!

Not much left there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXhybe--Ovs

This is their commercial video: Basilian Monks of Grottaferrata
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 04:36:37 PM by Romaios » Logged
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #461 on: February 21, 2013, 04:35:14 PM »

NVM, did not read context...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 04:36:38 PM by sheenj » Logged
choy
Archon

« Reply #462 on: February 21, 2013, 05:20:22 PM »

Just give them a book with the rubrics to follow.  I heard RC priests are very good at following rubrics.

Roll Eyes
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #463 on: February 21, 2013, 05:41:36 PM »

Not much left there...

therein lies a cautionary tale.

Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #464 on: February 21, 2013, 05:41:54 PM »

That was what I had in mind. Imagine, millions and millions of people thinking they're watching Christmas Pontifical Mass on TV and suddenly there's an iconostasis and the Pope appears in his omophorion and starts with "Blessed is the Kingdom...". It would be even better if it's in Greek  Smiley

Given its present rules, it can happen now.  Question: why doesn't it? Roll Eyes

Just give them a book with the rubrics to follow.  I heard RC priests are very good at following rubrics.

Roll Eyes

HA!  Not since Vatican II.  When I was with the Franciscans, I was working on my Masters in Liturgical Studies at Notre Dame.  We were told if a priest wanted to "experiment" with the Liturgy, there were enough options in the liturgical books to use.  The Guardian at our friary, refused to follow the rubrics and did whatever he felt like, which drove me crazy, and finally pushed me out of the Franciscans and out of the Catholic church into Orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:44:22 PM by Monk Vasyl » Logged

choy
Archon

« Reply #465 on: February 21, 2013, 05:57:31 PM »

HA!  Not since Vatican II.  When I was with the Franciscans, I was working on my Masters in Liturgical Studies at Notre Dame.  We were told if a priest wanted to "experiment" with the Liturgy, there were enough options in the liturgical books to use.  The Guardian at our friary, refused to follow the rubrics and did whatever he felt like, which drove me crazy, and finally pushed me out of the Franciscans and out of the Catholic church into Orthodoxy.

So I guess no open door Anaphoras for you?
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #466 on: February 21, 2013, 06:47:09 PM »

Rev. James Martin, S.J.:

Here are 12 reasons why you should elect me pope, which I'm calling: Twelve Reasons Why You Should Elect Me Pope.

1. I'm a man. That's half the battle, right?

2. I'm baptized. And I've got the papers to prove it. No birther controversy here.
9. Educated. The Jesuit training process is really, really, really long. I can't even remember how many years I was in studies. That means that I studied philosophy (good to know), theology (really good to know) and a whole lot of other stuff like church history, which I think would be pretty helpful as pope. And guess what? I know Ancient Greek, too. That really impresses the scholarly types in the church. E.g., when scholars ask me, "What translation of the New Testament are you using?" I'll say, "My translation." They love that kind of thing. Plus, that appeals to the Ancient-Greek-speaking demographic that the church may have given up on.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 06:50:34 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #467 on: February 21, 2013, 07:28:13 PM »

Not much left there...

therein lies a cautionary tale.

Chevetogne (Belgium) seems to be doing much better.

Monastère de Chevetogne
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 07:30:18 PM by Romaios » Logged
orthros

Faith: Melkite-Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #468 on: February 22, 2013, 01:48:26 AM »

Wow, nice pic.  Which Pope is that?
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #469 on: February 22, 2013, 04:22:18 AM »

With that headgear, I think Pope Paul VI. But I'm guessing.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #470 on: February 22, 2013, 04:26:35 AM »

Wow, nice pic.  Which Pope is that?

John XXXIII

choy
Archon

« Reply #471 on: February 22, 2013, 04:40:26 AM »

John XXXIII

I didn't realize there were that many Popes named John as of today.
orthros

Faith: Melkite-Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #472 on: February 22, 2013, 08:26:14 AM »

John XXXIII

I can't tell if you're joking (the joys of the internet!)  angel but Cyrillic put in one too many "X"s.  He meant John XXIII.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #473 on: February 22, 2013, 08:29:37 AM »

John XXXIII

I can't tell if you're joking (the joys of the internet!)  angel but Cyrillic put in one too many "X"s.  He meant John XXIII.

Oops  Embarrassed

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #474 on: February 22, 2013, 09:16:46 AM »

John XXXIII

Although there have been more: the late supreme pontiff specifically took the XXIII to make the real Pope John XXIII (1410–1415) an "anti-pope" five centuries and a half after his papacy.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #475 on: February 22, 2013, 09:23:27 AM »

He seems to be looking at the guy in front of him, murmuring, "Am I holding these right?" "You're holding them fine but you've dripped some wax down the back of my neck."

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #476 on: February 22, 2013, 09:47:01 AM »

Pope John Paul II, also celebrated the divine Liturgy with the Ukrainians, but wore Latin Rite vestments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LQDaRZKzU0&playnext=1&list=PL121DCD9C9C7A16D3&feature=results_main

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #477 on: February 22, 2013, 10:11:03 AM »

John XXXIII

Although there have been more: the late supreme pontiff specifically took the XXIII to make the real Pope John XXIII (1410–1415) an "anti-pope" five centuries and a half after his papacy.

I don't know if this branch will sprout, but in case it does I've started a thread Ialmisry on Anti-Pope John XXIII.

Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #478 on: February 24, 2013, 11:10:54 AM »

Pope, on last Sunday, says following God's wishes

The Lord is calling me to climb onto the mountain, to dedicate myself even more to prayer and meditation," he said to cheers of "Long Live the Pope".

"But this does not mean abandoning the Church. Actually, if God asks this of me, it is precisely because I can continue to serve her with the same dedication and the same love I have shown so far," he said.

But he said he would be serving the Church "in a way more in keeping with my age and my forces".

http://news.yahoo.com/pope-last-sunday-says-following-gods-wishes-142139668.html

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
choy
Archon

« Reply #479 on: February 24, 2013, 11:59:03 AM »

What if they elect him again?
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #480 on: February 24, 2013, 02:33:14 PM »

Cheesy

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #481 on: February 24, 2013, 02:37:18 PM »

Or if they elect Patriarch Cyrill?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #482 on: February 24, 2013, 02:59:36 PM »

Or if they elect Patriarch Cyrill?

Huzzah!

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #483 on: February 24, 2013, 03:44:30 PM »

I know you are being clever, but a question for the RC experts, can someone choose not serve (or whatever word is most appropriate) as Pope. If the office is declined, is there a penance?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #484 on: February 24, 2013, 04:57:56 PM »

Choose your pope!

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #485 on: February 24, 2013, 07:46:30 PM »

The folks posting that apparently are (1): not aware of what constitutes satire and (2): I would hate to see what they think of us Orthodox.
choy
Archon

« Reply #486 on: February 24, 2013, 08:18:15 PM »

I mean, soon to be Cardinal Ratzinger again is the most qualified to be Pope.  Aside from being a well respected theologian in and outside of the Roman Catholic Church, his experience as Pope is unparalleled by any other living bishop today.  Wink
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #487 on: February 24, 2013, 08:22:44 PM »

The folks posting that apparently are (1): not aware of what constitutes satire and (2): I would hate to see what they think of us Orthodox.

Well from stuff I've read on his blog he kind of has dumb ideas about how Orthodoxy "rejects the atonement" or something. But his videos are funny.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #488 on: February 25, 2013, 10:22:22 AM »

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #489 on: February 25, 2013, 04:10:30 PM »

Cool. It's been a while since we had a two-term pope.  Cool

FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #490 on: February 25, 2013, 04:29:54 PM »

I don't know, aside from the jab in the credits (and the show is Lutheran Satire), it was remarkably positive toward the Roman Catholic Church's traditional stance. As far as a satire goes, it was a dead-on shot at a lot of the really inane statements made by the peanut gallery (I include us Orthodox OC.netters in that category) as to what is needed in the next pope. More ire was directed at the Episcopal Church and Glee than at the Vatican- and I am totally okay with that.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #491 on: February 25, 2013, 05:06:58 PM »

Actually, it would have more impac if he said it in Italian.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #492 on: February 25, 2013, 06:40:01 PM »

More ire was directed at the Episcopal Church and Glee than at the Vatican- and I am totally okay with that.

I am shocked -- shocked -- to learn that criticism of the Episcopal Church is going on here!

FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #493 on: February 25, 2013, 06:44:24 PM »

More ire was directed at the Episcopal Church and Glee than at the Vatican- and I am totally okay with that.

I am shocked -- shocked -- to learn that criticism of the Episcopal Church is going on here!

Your winnings, sir.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #494 on: February 26, 2013, 11:58:17 AM »

Cool. It's been a while since we had a two-term pope.  Cool

Just when I thought I was out...

http://youtu.be/UPw-3e_pzqU

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: