Author Topic: The Pope to resign?!?! / Pope Benedict XVI resigns / Pope set to resign on Feb. 28th  (Read 19488 times)

Offline Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches
I see. And you would separate the two? (Ecclesiology from faithfulness to tradition)

I don't really get it, but okay. :)

Do you think you cannot practice your faith just because a bishop is claiming universal ordinary jurisdiction?

I think the issue is more that he claims it dogmatically.

Not necessarily, but when you cannot openly teach against errors embraced and propagated by said infallible and universal bishop and/or his particular church, it does seem to create problems...and cognitive dissonance among those beneath said bishop in such a scheme who happen to know better. ;)

The fight wasn't for me, but there are those who recognize the problems but chose to persevere to remain in that communion in the hopes that they can bring about change.  We should pray for such people and support them.

Key word being "remain". It's not like I left Orthodoxy for Catholicism.

(Well, key for me anyhow. I'm aware of course that there are many Catholics who say "If I were Orthodox, I would convert to Catholicism.")
- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)

Offline choy

• Archon
Or maybe the Eastern Pope will do away with the Roman Rite and just use the Byzantine Rite. ;)

That was what I had in mind. Imagine, millions and millions of people thinking they're watching Christmas Pontifical Mass on TV and suddenly there's an iconostasis and the Pope appears in his omophorion and starts with "Blessed is the Kingdom...". It would be even better if it's in Greek  :)

No.  He should translate the Divine Liturgy in Latin and people wouldn't know the difference between a Tridentine Mass.  Seriously, nobody speaks Latin.  ;D :D

Offline Monk Vasyl

• High Elder
    • Web site of our parish, St. Andrew UOCof USA
Or maybe the Eastern Pope will do away with the Roman Rite and just use the Byzantine Rite. ;)

That was what I had in mind. Imagine, millions and millions of people thinking they're watching Christmas Pontifical Mass on TV and suddenly there's an iconostasis and the Pope appears in his omophorion and starts with "Blessed is the Kingdom...". It would be even better if it's in Greek  :)

No.  He should translate the Divine Liturgy in Latin and people wouldn't know the difference between a Tridentine Mass.  Seriously, nobody speaks Latin.  ;D :D

Italians would understand it somewhat.  I studies Latin and Italian in the Franciscan seminary and would often onfuse the 2.  My Latin professor also taught me Latin and always got a good laugh out of my mistakes.  I remember a Catholic priest asking some Italians how they liked the Mass in Italian, they responded, "Wasn't it always in Italian?"
The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos

Given its present rules, it can happen now.  Question: why doesn't it? ::)
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Cyrillic

• Merarches
  • Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

I do  :o

And did you watch the video of Patriarch John X's enthronement liturgy? One of the supplications was in Latin. So a Latin DL is possible. Erasmus translated the DL in Latin, I think.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 01:42:24 PM by Cyrillic »
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me"
-Benjamin Disraeli

Offline Cyrillic

• Merarches

It has happened in the past.

-Benjamin Disraeli

Offline ialmisry

• Hypatos

I do  :o

And did you watch the video of Patriarch John X's enthronement liturgy? One of the supplications was in Latin. So a Latin DL is possible. Erasmus translated the DL in Latin, I think.
My priest does all the "inaudible" prayers during DL in Latin, and does the Hours in Latin.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.

Offline That person

• OC.net guru
  • Long live Commie Superman

Because of the significant price and effort involved in converting thousands of sanctuaries into ones acceptable for use in the Eastern Rites and training priests to practice them?
"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.

Offline ialmisry

• Hypatos

Because of the significant price and effort involved in converting thousands of sanctuaries into ones acceptable for use in the Eastern Rites and training priests to practice them?
I've seen it done many a time, with far less resources than the Vatican has.

Roll out an icon screen across the boundary of the nave and transept, get those "Italo-Greek Albanian Catholics" whose Metropolitan resides in the Vatican (their only remaining monastery is located in Rome), and voila!

Offline Romaios

• Archon
Roll out an icon screen across the boundary of the nave and transept, get those "Italo-Greek Albanian Catholics" whose Metropolitan resides in the Vatican (their only remaining monastery is located in Rome), and voila!

Not much left there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXhybe--Ovs

This is their commercial video: Basilian Monks of Grottaferrata
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 04:36:37 PM by Romaios »

Offline sheenj

• OC.net guru
  • St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Church

NVM, did not read context...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 04:36:38 PM by sheenj »

Offline choy

• Archon

Just give them a book with the rubrics to follow.  I heard RC priests are very good at following rubrics.

::)

Offline ialmisry

• Hypatos

Not much left there...

therein lies a cautionary tale.

Offline Monk Vasyl

• High Elder

That was what I had in mind. Imagine, millions and millions of people thinking they're watching Christmas Pontifical Mass on TV and suddenly there's an iconostasis and the Pope appears in his omophorion and starts with "Blessed is the Kingdom...". It would be even better if it's in Greek  :)

Given its present rules, it can happen now.  Question: why doesn't it? ::)

Just give them a book with the rubrics to follow.  I heard RC priests are very good at following rubrics.

::)

HA!  Not since Vatican II.  When I was with the Franciscans, I was working on my Masters in Liturgical Studies at Notre Dame.  We were told if a priest wanted to "experiment" with the Liturgy, there were enough options in the liturgical books to use.  The Guardian at our friary, refused to follow the rubrics and did whatever he felt like, which drove me crazy, and finally pushed me out of the Franciscans and out of the Catholic church into Orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:44:22 PM by Monk Vasyl »

Offline choy

• Archon
HA!  Not since Vatican II.  When I was with the Franciscans, I was working on my Masters in Liturgical Studies at Notre Dame.  We were told if a priest wanted to "experiment" with the Liturgy, there were enough options in the liturgical books to use.  The Guardian at our friary, refused to follow the rubrics and did whatever he felt like, which drove me crazy, and finally pushed me out of the Franciscans and out of the Catholic church into Orthodoxy.

So I guess no open door Anaphoras for you?

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Barlaam and Josaphat
    • The Mystical Theology
Rev. James Martin, S.J.:

Here are 12 reasons why you should elect me pope, which I'm calling: Twelve Reasons Why You Should Elect Me Pope.

1. I'm a man. That's half the battle, right?

2. I'm baptized. And I've got the papers to prove it. No birther controversy here.
9. Educated. The Jesuit training process is really, really, really long. I can't even remember how many years I was in studies. That means that I studied philosophy (good to know), theology (really good to know) and a whole lot of other stuff like church history, which I think would be pretty helpful as pope. And guess what? I know Ancient Greek, too. That really impresses the scholarly types in the church. E.g., when scholars ask me, "What translation of the New Testament are you using?" I'll say, "My translation." They love that kind of thing. Plus, that appeals to the Ancient-Greek-speaking demographic that the church may have given up on.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 06:50:34 PM by Jetavan »
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Romaios

• Archon

Not much left there...

therein lies a cautionary tale.

Chevetogne (Belgium) seems to be doing much better.

Monastère de Chevetogne
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 07:30:18 PM by Romaios »

Offline orthros

Wow, nice pic.  Which Pope is that?

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
With that headgear, I think Pope Paul VI. But I'm guessing.
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

Offline Cyrillic

• Merarches

Wow, nice pic.  Which Pope is that?

John XXXIII
-Benjamin Disraeli

Offline choy

• Archon
John XXXIII

I didn't realize there were that many Popes named John as of today.

Offline orthros

John XXXIII

I can't tell if you're joking (the joys of the internet!)  :angel: but Cyrillic put in one too many "X"s.  He meant John XXIII.

Offline Cyrillic

• Merarches
John XXXIII

I can't tell if you're joking (the joys of the internet!)  :angel: but Cyrillic put in one too many "X"s.  He meant John XXIII.

Oops  :-[
-Benjamin Disraeli

Offline ialmisry

• Hypatos
John XXXIII

Although there have been more: the late supreme pontiff specifically took the XXIII to make the real Pope John XXIII (1410–1415) an "anti-pope" five centuries and a half after his papacy.

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

He seems to be looking at the guy in front of him, murmuring, "Am I holding these right?" "You're holding them fine but you've dripped some wax down the back of my neck."
"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Offline Monk Vasyl

• High Elder
Pope John Paul II, also celebrated the divine Liturgy with the Ukrainians, but wore Latin Rite vestments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LQDaRZKzU0&playnext=1&list=PL121DCD9C9C7A16D3&feature=results_main

Offline Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches
John XXXIII

Although there have been more: the late supreme pontiff specifically took the XXIII to make the real Pope John XXIII (1410–1415) an "anti-pope" five centuries and a half after his papacy.

I don't know if this branch will sprout, but in case it does I've started a thread Ialmisry on Anti-Pope John XXIII.

Offline Charles Martel

• Traditional Roman Catholic
  • Protokentarchos
Pope, on last Sunday, says following God's wishes

The Lord is calling me to climb onto the mountain, to dedicate myself even more to prayer and meditation," he said to cheers of "Long Live the Pope".

"But this does not mean abandoning the Church. Actually, if God asks this of me, it is precisely because I can continue to serve her with the same dedication and the same love I have shown so far," he said.

But he said he would be serving the Church "in a way more in keeping with my age and my forces".

http://news.yahoo.com/pope-last-sunday-says-following-gods-wishes-142139668.html
Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.

Offline choy

• Archon
What if they elect him again?

Offline Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox

Or if they elect Patriarch Cyrill?

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches

I know you are being clever, but a question for the RC experts, can someone choose not serve (or whatever word is most appropriate) as Pope. If the office is declined, is there a penance?
Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
Choose your pope!

The folks posting that apparently are (1): not aware of what constitutes satire and (2): I would hate to see what they think of us Orthodox.

Offline choy

• Archon
I mean, soon to be Cardinal Ratzinger again is the most qualified to be Pope.  Aside from being a well respected theologian in and outside of the Roman Catholic Church, his experience as Pope is unparalleled by any other living bishop today.  ;)

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
Choose your pope!

The folks posting that apparently are (1): not aware of what constitutes satire and (2): I would hate to see what they think of us Orthodox.

Well from stuff I've read on his blog he kind of has dumb ideas about how Orthodoxy "rejects the atonement" or something. But his videos are funny.
Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • Praying for the Christians in Iraq
You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.

Offline Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches

Cool. It's been a while since we had a two-term pope.  8)

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
Choose your pope!

I don't know, aside from the jab in the credits (and the show is Lutheran Satire), it was remarkably positive toward the Roman Catholic Church's traditional stance. As far as a satire goes, it was a dead-on shot at a lot of the really inane statements made by the peanut gallery (I include us Orthodox OC.netters in that category) as to what is needed in the next pope. More ire was directed at the Episcopal Church and Glee than at the Vatican- and I am totally okay with that.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)

Actually, it would have more impac if he said it in Italian.

Offline Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches
More ire was directed at the Episcopal Church and Glee than at the Vatican- and I am totally okay with that.

I am shocked -- shocked -- to learn that criticism of the Episcopal Church is going on here!

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
More ire was directed at the Episcopal Church and Glee than at the Vatican- and I am totally okay with that.

I am shocked -- shocked -- to learn that criticism of the Episcopal Church is going on here!

Your winnings, sir.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline CoptoGeek

• of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
  • OC.net guru

Cool. It's been a while since we had a two-term pope.  8)

Just when I thought I was out...

http://youtu.be/UPw-3e_pzqU
"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa