OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 07:01:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Pope to resign?!?! / Pope Benedict XVI resigns / Pope set to resign on Feb. 28th  (Read 17627 times) Average Rating: 0
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #180 on: February 11, 2013, 09:30:45 PM »

Maybe the Pope is resigning so he can become Orthodox Smiley

He could do that before resigning...

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Warned
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #181 on: February 11, 2013, 09:32:30 PM »

Cardinal Peter Kodwo Appiah Turkson

Reasons He Might Not Get Elected: The Catholic Church in Africa can be very disconnected from the Church that the majority of the European Cardinals live in. In Africa the top issues aren't sexual politics and theological disputes, they are exorcism, animism, the growth of Islam, and condemnation of Western economic policy.

[/b]Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/meet-the-man-who-will-be-the-next-pope-2012-4?op=1#ixzz2KdvN3HjF

Do we want a pope or a witchdoctor?
See, the more I realize that this might finally get racist morons to reevaluate Christianity, the more excited the prospect makes me.
What are you trying to say? Do you revel in the thought that I lose my faith?

That makes you feel good doesn't it........the thought of me burning in hell for eternity because , after all, i'm just a "racist moron".

Hope that really excites you.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #182 on: February 11, 2013, 09:34:37 PM »

Reasons He Might Not Get Elected: The Catholic Church in Africa can be very disconnected from the Church that the majority of the European Cardinals live in. In Africa the top issues aren't sexual politics and theological disputes, they are exorcism, animism, the growth of Islam, and condemnation of Western economic policy.

[/b]Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/meet-the-man-who-will-be-the-next-pope-2012-4?op=1#ixzz2KdvN3HjF

See, the more I realize that this might finally get racist morons to reevaluate Christianity, the more excited the prospect makes me.

That makes you feel good doesn't it........the thought of me burning in hell for eternity because , after all, i'm just a "racist moron".

Just because one is not a Christian, doesn't mean one will burn in hell.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #183 on: February 11, 2013, 09:46:41 PM »

I don't understand the idea of resigning from papacy. I know that according to RCC papacy is a office and not a sacrament but still there is something fishy in the idea.

Same here. A Pope voluntarily abdicating doesn't have much of a precedent if you discount the Pope whom Dante saw in hell.

Why does his resignation have to be "fishy" just because we do not yet understand or know all the details of it?  Why can we not take him at his word, that he is resigning because he is not physically up to the task and just leave it at that for now?

A Pope voluntarily abdicating will now have a better precedent after Feb. 28, 2013.  There is much we do not understand.  If we wait and keep our hearts open, perhaps with more time we will have greater understanding.

Many Years to His Holiness!!!

The thing that seems untrue is how he could be worse off than what the last Pope was the last few years, Pope John paul could hardy hold his head up at the end.

Also I read Pope John Paul struggled with his health for a long time when he was shot, it seems that Benedict is not willing to struggle as much as a Pope who stays till he dies.

I will say that this may be a good thing though , and it is for God to say whether it is or not.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:04:29 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #184 on: February 11, 2013, 09:48:20 PM »

I'm just saying, it'd be good if you considered your attitudes, really wrestled if they're truly compatible with Christianity and with Catholicism in particular, and decided what's really important to you. Frankly, I'd rather you be a non-racist Catholic than a racist non-Catholic, but what happens happens. Or maybe you'll stick to both, who knows?

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #185 on: February 11, 2013, 09:56:49 PM »

How about a Mexican-Grandmother for a Pope? While most of us are lapsed and only nominally Roman Catholic, in every Mexican family there is ALWAYS at least one extremely faithful, "Traditionalist Thomas" Roman Catholic grandmother.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #186 on: February 11, 2013, 10:01:27 PM »

How about a Mexican-Grandmother for a Pope? While most of us are lapsed and only nominally Roman Catholic, in every Mexican family there is ALWAYS at least one extremely faithful, "Traditionalist Thomas" Roman Catholic grandmother.
That's my mom. She is probably the most faithful in our family, and she is the grandma.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
TheMathematician
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #187 on: February 11, 2013, 10:05:01 PM »

I wast to see a Black African be elected, just for something radically different to happen.
Yea you would..

Maybe they'll find some way to elect Obama pope.

Yea man......radical. Roll Eyes

Care to explain what you mean by this comment?
jewish voice
High Elder

« Reply #188 on: February 11, 2013, 10:21:27 PM »

well according to Malachy of Ireland this new pope is it and the world will end. he said the last pope's name is Peter and will be from Rome. I guess we will have to see how it all plays out.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #189 on: February 11, 2013, 10:23:21 PM »

well according to Malachy of Ireland this new pope is it and the world will end. he said the last pope's name is Peter and will be from Rome. I guess we will have to see how it all plays out.
From what I understand, the "Prophecy of Malachy" was never given by St. Malachy. Instead, it was a later forgery.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #190 on: February 11, 2013, 10:37:12 PM »

No this is not a headline from the Onion. I would like to know more about the candidates and their view of relations with the Orthodox

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/12/world/europe/pope-benedict-xvi-says-he-will-retire.html?_r=0

A picture of the Lightning Bolt striking St. Peter's dome at the Vatican was just shown on Channel 10, ABC, on San Diego.

Why did the lightning bolt strike the Vatican soon after the Pope's resignation? Note that a lightning bolt also struck the Vatican at the Council of Vatican I, when the doctrines of Papal Infallibility and Supremacy were declared.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #191 on: February 11, 2013, 10:37:55 PM »

There's another prophecy about the next pope (IIRC) from fringe pseudo-Adventist/Sacred Name groups that believe Pope John Paul II will be impersonated by a demon, claim to be resurrected, and take the papacy. Then end times.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:38:43 PM by Nephi » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #192 on: February 11, 2013, 10:39:28 PM »

There's another prophecy about the next pope (IIRC) from fringe pseudo-Adventist/Sacred Name groups that believe Pope John Paul II will be impersonated by a demon, claim to be resurrected, and take the papacy. Then end times.
Yeah Prophecy of the Popes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes

Nobody got my joke in my 2nd post ITT. Sad

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
choy
Archon

« Reply #193 on: February 11, 2013, 10:39:45 PM »

He'd have to hide his body first.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #194 on: February 11, 2013, 10:40:02 PM »

My grandmother was devout when I was really young, but by the time she died (post-RCC sex scandals), she specifically asked that she not be given a church funeral. It's weird, though...she showed up to my reception into the RCC circa age 23, even though she was confined to a wheelchair by that point, and seemed very happy to witness it. Grandmas are complex sometimes, I guess. (My other grandmother, of Danish-English stock, decidedly less so: "You did what? Why would you want to join a church? That's stupid. All they do is tell you what to do." I guess she doesn't like anyone honing in on her racket... Tongue We get along okay nowadays, though. But I still didn't tell her when I became Orthodox. Why start a fight that you don't need to have.)

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #195 on: February 11, 2013, 10:40:34 PM »

So because they aren't the top issues for Western/white people they aren't valid issues for others in the church? Interesting.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #196 on: February 11, 2013, 10:40:54 PM »

Yeah Prophecy of the Popes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes

Nobody got my joke in my 2nd post ITT. Sad

Isn't that the Malachy prophecy? I was thinking the prophecy I mentioned and that one were two separate ones.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:42:10 PM by Nephi » Logged
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #197 on: February 11, 2013, 10:41:31 PM »

A picture of the Lightning Bolt striking St. Peter's dome at the Vatican was just shown on Channel 10, ABC, on San Diego.

Why did the lightning bolt strike the Vatican soon after the Pope's resignation? Note that a lightning bolt also struck the Vatican at the Council of Vatican I, when the doctrines of Papal Infallibility and Supremacy were declared.

From: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/lightning-strikes-vatican-on-the-day-the-pope-1704295
choy
Archon

« Reply #198 on: February 11, 2013, 10:56:56 PM »

From: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/lightning-strikes-vatican-on-the-day-the-pope-1704295

Maybe the Pope yelled, "By the power of Infallibility!!!  I have universal supreme ordinary jurisdictional power!!!"

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:57:41 PM by choy » Logged
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #199 on: February 11, 2013, 11:12:09 PM »

No this is not a headline from the Onion. I would like to know more about the candidates and their view of relations with the Orthodox

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/12/world/europe/pope-benedict-xvi-says-he-will-retire.html?_r=0

Also lightning hit the chambers of Alexander VI, the Borgia Pope.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #200 on: February 11, 2013, 11:49:01 PM »

Some of my fringe edge Protestant friends are already going gaga over this.

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #201 on: February 12, 2013, 12:02:39 AM »

End times stuff?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #202 on: February 12, 2013, 12:04:14 AM »

End times stuff?
This reminds me of a Bible Study class were we talked about how a Protestant Church next to ours was struck by lightning.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #203 on: February 12, 2013, 12:07:00 AM »

End times stuff?
Yup, well that and rabid anti-Catholicism.  Roll Eyes

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #204 on: February 12, 2013, 12:11:04 AM »

So because they aren't the top issues for Western/white people they aren't valid issues for others in the church? Interesting.

Yes, because if there's one thing I think of when I think of the Roman Catholic Church, it's white people and their particular concerns.

Pictured: A bunch of honkies gather to greet the Roman Pope. (Just kidding, of course. Good thing they've got him in that protective car, eh Charles? Otherwise those black folks might get their witchcraft all over him. Ew.)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 12:14:26 AM by dzheremi » Logged

Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #205 on: February 12, 2013, 12:51:54 AM »

Some of the most devout and sober Catholics and Anglicans I've come across were Africans from sub-Saharan Africa. And I know of one Orthodox priest originally from Nigeria who an Igumen described as one to whom God listened.

I suppose what stuck out in each case is their faith did not seem 'qualified' by the doubts and rationalisations that, to me at least, appear all too common in the Western, or should that be Northern, world?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 12:52:36 AM by Santagranddad » Logged
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #206 on: February 12, 2013, 12:54:43 AM »

Jesus was struck by lightning too.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 12:55:06 AM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #207 on: February 12, 2013, 01:01:58 AM »

Let the betting begin:

"Ladbrokes yesterday made Cardinal Turkson the 5/2 favourite to replace Pope Benedict XVI. Cardinal Marc Ouellet was given a 3/1 chance and third favourite Cardinal Francis Arinze was 4/1.

Jessica Bridge of Ladbrokes said: “The fingers are now pointing at Cardinal Turkson to address the masses in St. Peter’s Square for the foreseeable future.”

Punters flocked to the bookies to place their bets last night."

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #208 on: February 12, 2013, 01:08:46 AM »

Jesus was struck by lightning too.

Perhaps that lightning strike made the actor think twice about the God-Man, Jesus Christ, whom he was portraying.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
choy
Archon

« Reply #209 on: February 12, 2013, 01:15:05 AM »

Punters flocked to the bookies to place their bets last night."

I'm still consulting Conclave analysts before I place my bet.
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #210 on: February 12, 2013, 01:49:24 AM »

I hope that its not that African Cardinal ( Peter Tongo something)
I heard rumors that he might be an Afro Marxist eho would either favor third world nations over the desperately needed re evangelization of European nations.  He could also try to liberalize or Africanize the RC liturgy and theology / morality.  We need to reme.mber as Belloc said Europe is the faith and vis a versa. Other nations have the place but we should always take care of our mother first

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #211 on: February 12, 2013, 01:57:30 AM »

I heard rumors that he might be an Afro Marxist eho would either favor third world nations over the desperately needed re evangelization of European nations.  He could also try to liberalize or Africanize the RC liturgy and theology / morality.  We need to reme.mber as Belloc said Europe is the faith and vis a versa. Other nations have the place but we should always take care of our mother first

You disgust me.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #212 on: February 12, 2013, 02:00:40 AM »

My hope is that, whomever is selected as the new Pope, he picks a good name like Michael, and not one that's hard to spell.

There already is a Pope Michael:

There's apparently a documentary about Pope Michael that's free for viewing.

I know what I'll be watching during my lunch hour.

If you want to feel a little depressed . . .

Schadenfreude, mein Kumpel. Smiley

EDIT TO AVOID MODERATORIAL SANCTIONS: "[M]ein Kumpel" means "my pal" in German.  Wink

Sie haben vergessen das wir haben auch auf deutsch bevor gesprochen ! ("You have forgotten that we have spoken German before")

translation into English added per forum rules. S1389
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 11:21:50 AM by serb1389 » Logged

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #213 on: February 12, 2013, 02:05:49 AM »

I wast to see a Black African be elected, just for something radically different to happen.
Yea you would..

Maybe they'll find some way to elect Obama pope.

Yea man......radical. Roll Eyes

Care to explain what you mean by this comment?
Only as long as he doesn't delve into politics.
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #214 on: February 12, 2013, 02:15:11 AM »

[
Tough, I heard that he was a proponent of liberal beliefs ( as head of the Pontifical council for Justice and Peace they recently issued a statement calling for world currency and government).  As a European American I'm proud of my culture,  religion,  and heritage and wish to see those things preservfor posterity.  If that's not PC to some people, then too bad.  I'm not a very PC person and make no bones about it. People of all races and colors are welcome in the Big Ten of the Roman Church, But people like myself would like to see that shirt continue to be becenter in Europe and certainly not become the religious equivalent to the Obama administration and all its policies.
quote author=Asteriktos link=topic=49883.msg880442#msg880442 date=1360648650]

You disgust me.
[/quote]

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #215 on: February 12, 2013, 02:17:32 AM »

I'd like to say how proud I am of this conversation & how we haven't broken any rules in 5 pages, including the rule on titles! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #216 on: February 12, 2013, 02:21:36 AM »

Tough, I heard that he was a proponent of liberal beliefs ( as head of the Pontifical council for Justice and Peace they recently issued a statement calling for world currency and government).  As a European American I'm proud of my culture,  religion,  and heritage and wish to see those things preservfor posterity.  If that's not PC to some people, then too bad.  I'm not a very PC person and make no bones about it. People of all races and colors are welcome in the Big Ten of the Roman Church, But people like myself would like to see that shirt continue to be becenter in Europe and certainly not become the religious equivalent to the Obama administration and all its policies.

You heard "rumors" about some guy whose name you aren't sure of. How can I argue with such overwhelming evidence?
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #217 on: February 12, 2013, 02:22:57 AM »

I heard rumors that he might be an Afro Marxist eho would either favor third world nations over the desperately needed re evangelization of European nations.  He could also try to liberalize or Africanize the RC liturgy and theology / morality.  We need to reme.mber as Belloc said Europe is the faith and vis a versa. Other nations have the place but we should always take care of our mother first

"Africa is great and all, but seriously guys, a white guy said something last century that I think completely trumps reality, so let's all focus on that."

Europe is the faith, my behind. Haven't seen Mass attendance rates in Europe at any point in the last decade or so I take it, Robb? They're not great, and hardly likely to improve.

Oddly enough, all indications point to African priests re-evangelizing the West, in direct contradiction of your unfounded idea that the African Catholic Church would place the needs of third world countries ahead of those of Europe (that they're doing the opposite, in fact, when they could very easily make the case that they need to tend to in-country needs is, frankly, amazing and highly commendable; when was the last time you went to Africa to serve the RCC faithful there?). Unless you think that Africans are too stupid to walk and chew gum at the same time, I don't see how such a ridiculous, insulting string of thoughts could ever enter your mind.

I hope you get a chance to meet some African Catholics some day, Robb. Many put the average Anglo/Euro-Catholic to shame in the strength of their devotions.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 02:26:11 AM by dzheremi » Logged

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #218 on: February 12, 2013, 02:30:29 AM »

Urgh!

The weirdo show, Coast to Coast, will discuss this entire matter tonight, especially the Malachi prophecies.
Lord have mercy.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Sieur_Mglcamo

Constantinople......

« Reply #219 on: February 12, 2013, 02:57:57 AM »

In his own words: The Pope's resignation

"After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry,"

"In order to govern the bark of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognise my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me,"

Mount And Blade Warband ~Nord Invasion~
http://www.nordinvasion.com/
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #220 on: February 12, 2013, 03:03:28 AM »

"After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry,"

"In order to govern the bark of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognise my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me,"
Seems like admirable reasoning to me. Many years to him.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #221 on: February 12, 2013, 03:37:56 AM »

Seems like admirable reasoning to me. Many years to him.

Yes, very admirable.

Here is another picture of lightning. He comes in with lightning and leaves with lightning. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 03:39:19 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Cymbyz
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #222 on: February 12, 2013, 04:10:27 AM »

Pope Benedict was Pope John Paul II's right-hand man during the latter's decline.  He got to see up close what it's like when the Pope goes effectively non-functional; he didn't want to burden the Church and the world with a repeat of that.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #223 on: February 12, 2013, 07:58:43 AM »

At 85 years of age and health declining anyone is entitled to resign, surely?
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #224 on: February 12, 2013, 08:05:39 AM »

Let the betting begin:

"Ladbrokes yesterday made Cardinal Turkson the 5/2 favourite to replace Pope Benedict XVI. Cardinal Marc Ouellet was given a 3/1 chance and third favourite Cardinal Francis Arinze was 4/1.

If I were a betting man ...

If that's accurate, then there's a 1-in-60 chance that none of those three will be elected.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: