OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 02:35:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Pope to resign?!?! / Pope Benedict XVI resigns / Pope set to resign on Feb. 28th  (Read 16132 times) Average Rating: 0
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2013, 04:00:43 PM »

I think the Orthodox are happy as long as they have something to complain about -- which they would, either way.

You, Sir, have a poor opinion of the Orthodox.

Needless to say, the ones you meet online are hardly representative for the bulk of Orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 04:31:34 PM by Romaios » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2013, 04:03:15 PM »

I think the Orthodox are happy as long as they have something to complain about -- which they would, either way.

That's just downright rude, and wrong.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2013, 04:15:31 PM »

Hopefully no scandal is involved (which seems to be the case) or severe illness.  Many years to him!

Btw, just for those who know Chicago and interested in trivia: Division street, if it could go straight through to Rome, would go right through the Cistine Chapel. Holy Trinity Cathedral (0CA) at Rome's longitude would be under the southern half of the dome of St. Peter's Basilica and over the catacombs where St. Peter lies.  Haddon street (the street running along north of the Cathedral) going straight would run under the Baldachin of St. Peter, under the balcony where they say "habenus papam," nick the Obelisk in the center of the Piazza S. Pietro, and go down Via della Conciliazione.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 04:26:21 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2013, 04:22:15 PM »

By the list recently posted, it appears that Benedict XVI probably has much in common with Celestine V.

That is what I thought when I first heard the news.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
WPM
Archon

« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2013, 04:27:42 PM »

That's what they said on FOX4 News this morning.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 04:28:44 PM by WPM » Logged
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2013, 04:30:46 PM »

This is false (as others already pointed out).

We should stop pretending that it is not true.  It is.  Why would the Patriarchs come to Rome when the Pope summons them to *his* synod?  It is a pipe dream to think that the EC Patriarchs are not subject to the Pope.

Subjecting oneself to authority and being appointed by an authority are two different things.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2013, 04:31:09 PM »

Hopefully no scandal is involved (which seems to be the case) or severe illness.  Many years to him!

Btw, just for those who know Chicago and interested in trivia: Division street, if it could go straight through to Rome, would go right through the Cistine Chapel. Holy Trinity Cathedral (0CA) at Rome's longitude would be under the southern half of the dome of St. Peter's Basilica and over the catacombs where St. Peter lies.  Haddon street (the street running along north of the Cathedral) going straight would run under the Baldachin of St. Peter, under the balcony where they say "habenus papam," nick the Obelisk in the center of the Piazza S. Pietro, and go down Via della Conciliazione.

When I heard the news that the Pope was resigning I wondered how Isa would be able to make it into a Map.. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 04:32:17 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2013, 04:32:11 PM »

But wait 'cause he told me that as his last act as a pope he intends to proclaim the dogma of papal failibility for he said, it is clear, that charisma has. Long passed  down to the third Rome.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2013, 04:41:03 PM »

But wait 'cause he told me that as his last act as a pope he intends to proclaim the dogma of papal failibility for he said, it is clear, that charisma has. Long passed  down to the third Rome.
Was that to answer how many divisions the pope has?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 04:43:34 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2013, 04:49:41 PM »

Hopefully no scandal is involved (which seems to be the case)
There's no need to speculate about such things that are beyond our understanding.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2013, 05:09:25 PM »

So, will the next Pope be named Peter?    Undecided

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
choy
Archon

« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2013, 05:11:42 PM »

Or Simon.
choy
Archon

« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2013, 05:20:27 PM »

Join the movement https://www.facebook.com/StephenColbertForPope  Grin
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2013, 05:40:41 PM »

I was hoping someone knew what I was talking about.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2013, 05:42:07 PM »

I "got" it.

—St. Isaac of Syria
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2013, 05:43:25 PM »

I'm a Peter Turkson man I think. Timothy Dolan is charismatic and American and all, but he kind of terrifies me.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2013, 05:44:24 PM »

Dolan for pope. I'd love someone who won't pull any punches.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2013, 05:48:44 PM »

so, i signed in to see if there was any reaction to today's shocking news, but i didn't expect 3 pages!
i see you are all as shocked as i was. i had to stop working for 10 minutes.

may God have mercy.
now is the time to pray very much for healing and restoration (in the orthodox direction, in my opinion) in the roman catholic church and the other catholic churches affiliated with it.
i have met many fine catholic priests and other people and i know many have a true and living faith.
may God guide them and banish the liberalism that is so deeply rooted in some parts of the church.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2013, 05:50:16 PM »

Step away from the atlas . . .

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2013, 05:50:32 PM »

I'm a Peter Turkson man I think. Timothy Dolan is charismatic and American and all, but he kind of terrifies me.
I was rooting for Cardinal Arinze last time, as he terrified all the right people. He is not eligible to vote (and hence less likely to be elected) since three months ago, unfortunately.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2013, 05:51:36 PM »

Step away from the atlas . . .
IL has been practicing geography control from way back..

William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2013, 05:52:00 PM »

Professor who's your man this time around?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 05:52:20 PM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2013, 06:01:42 PM »

I wonder if the new Pope will affect Orthodox-Catholic relations. I'm hoping for a Pope that will use his international fame and western influence to ease the persecution that Orthodox Christians are facing in the Middle East under Islam.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 06:01:51 PM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2013, 06:07:27 PM »

That's just downright rude, and wrong.

Like the Bible says, you reap what you sow (I don't believe this at all, but people think it makes a figurative point even if it doesn't make a literal one). The you here is the one we use to avoid using one and sounding English.

In short, oc.net, ain't so kind to RCs.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2013, 06:12:31 PM »

To be fair, the Catholic Answers forum isn't too kind to the Orthodox either; you get banned or have your posts deleted the moment you make a point.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2013, 06:19:10 PM »

To be fair, the Catholic Answers forum isn't too kind to the Orthodox either; you get banned or have your posts deleted the moment you make a point.

So, two wrongs make a right? One group can punish strangers for what another has done? Even though they are discrete properties, owned and operated by different people?

I really hope we don't do it that way. If you only love those who love you, what is that to you? Even sinners do the same.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #116 on: February 11, 2013, 06:22:40 PM »

I was rooting for Cardinal Arinze last time, as he terrified all the right people. He is not eligible to vote (and hence less likely to be elected) since three months ago, unfortunately.

Why is this? Is it his age? Of all the names I've heard, I would go for Cardinal Arinze all the way. Always loved him. Seems like a real straight-shooter at a point in time when Rome could really use one.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #117 on: February 11, 2013, 06:32:20 PM »

Like the Bible says, you reap what you sow (I don't believe this at all, but people think it makes a figurative point even if it doesn't make a literal one). The you here is the one we use to avoid using one and sounding English.

I thought they just had a funny way of showing it.  Cheesy

To be fair, the Catholic Answers forum isn't too kind to the Orthodox either;

True.  Sad

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2013, 07:02:06 PM »

But he's not a Roman! He's an African!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #119 on: February 11, 2013, 07:04:36 PM »

Why is this? Is it his age? Of all the names I've heard, I would go for Cardinal Arinze all the way. Always loved him. Seems like a real straight-shooter at a point in time when Rome could really use one.
Yes, the age limit.  Technically, he can still be elected, but since he cannot elect one, the chances of him being elected is slim.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2013, 07:06:50 PM »

I could live with Card. Dolan. For one thing, like the former Card. Ratzinger, I don't think he wants the job.

Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2013, 07:07:41 PM »

But he's not a Roman! He's an African!
Marcus Antonius Gordianus Sempronianus Romanus Africanus

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #122 on: February 11, 2013, 07:14:01 PM »

Look at that. We are actually in agreement on this matter.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #123 on: February 11, 2013, 07:14:46 PM »

Blast from the not-too-distant past:

January 7, 2013. (Romereports.com) The personal secretary to the Pope is now archbishop. During the ceremony at St. Peter's Basilica, three other prelates were ordained: Vincenzo Zani, Fortunatus Nwackukwu and Nicolas Thevenin.

One month ago, Benedict XVI reinforced his trust in Georg Gaenswein by naming him as the Prefect of the Papal Household. His duties will include coordinating activities and meetings for the Pope.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 07:16:09 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2013, 07:15:32 PM »

I could live with Card. Dolan. For one thing, like the former Card. Ratzinger, I don't think he wants the job.
I think the chances of there ever being an American Pope are very slim.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #125 on: February 11, 2013, 07:15:56 PM »

I'm not trying to troll, but genuinely asking.

How much blame is on Pope Benedict with how he handled the priest sex scandals? Could an argument been made that he should have done more?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #126 on: February 11, 2013, 07:16:38 PM »

How much blame is on Pope Benedict with how he handled the priest sex scandals? Could an argument been made that he should have done more?
Any time anything goes wrong, those arguments can be made.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #127 on: February 11, 2013, 07:18:30 PM »

To what extent is he responsible and what should he have done?

How the RCC handled the sex scandals has been utterly tragic.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Pharaoh714

Jurisdiction: Coptic Rite

Lord Have Mercy! Christ Save me.

« Reply #128 on: February 11, 2013, 07:22:12 PM »

Or Simon.

Or "the Rock"  Cheesy   

I bet if the Rock becomes the Pope alot will convert  Wink

"If I say, "My foot slips," Your mercy, O LORD, will hold me up. In the multitude of my anxieties within me, Your comforts delight my soul." Psalm 94:18-19
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #129 on: February 11, 2013, 07:22:43 PM »

How the RCC handled the sex scandals has been utterly tragic.
In response to your question, I honestly don't known. And in response to your observation, I agree.

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #130 on: February 11, 2013, 07:26:28 PM »

I don't think Hans Küng will be in the running. Just a hunch.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #131 on: February 11, 2013, 07:28:19 PM »

It would be like taking imperialism to the next level
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #132 on: February 11, 2013, 07:29:04 PM »

Not much from what I've seen, except allowing his predecessor's assylum for Cardinal Law continue.

TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #133 on: February 11, 2013, 07:29:52 PM »

I wast to see a Black African be elected, just for something radically different to happen.

SCREW BON JOVI!
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #134 on: February 11, 2013, 07:30:06 PM »

It would be like taking imperialism to the next level
Yeah, there's never been imperialist Germans, Poles or Italians Roll Eyes

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: