OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 05:49:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Pope to resign?!?! / Pope Benedict XVI resigns / Pope set to resign on Feb. 28th  (Read 18028 times) Average Rating: 0
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #675 on: March 01, 2013, 03:44:52 PM »

I've been told by Catholics that I'm still a Catholic (and consequently Benedict is still the Pope I should be following/listening to...or was until yesterday) by virtue of my baptism and their "indelible mark" theology. Not many, admittedly/thankfully, but they are out there. When I have told them in response that the Orthodox Church did not accept my RC baptism (by pouring, not triple immersion) and that we do not have this belief that "once a X, always an X" via some kind of mark or otherwise, they've either implied that this is irrelevant (I guess only RC sacraments count, even when their official documents say otherwise), or that we really do believe this, I just don't understand Orthodoxy (and I guess by implication, they do, since they say that we believe the same thing)...just like how I just don't understand Catholicism, either...what will I not understand next? Cheesy

We may not always get along, Catholics, but I must say...every day is an adventure with you people. Wink
Very odd that the papacy leaves no indelible mark, given their "once a priest, always a priest, priest forever after the order of Melchizedek" theology.

"The Priesthood is indelible"

"The Papacy's just an office"

Doesn't really seem to mesh does it?
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #676 on: March 01, 2013, 03:47:57 PM »

Yes it would. I really do wish it was Dolan, though I know he doesn't really have a chance. I think Dolan would be a vocal leader like JPII. Though, I'm not sure he's academic enough.

I'd love for it to be Cardinal Dolan as well, but heard an interview with Fr. Joseph Fessio a while back where he said there's little chance of that happening.  Something along the lines that America is too prominant a power for other Cardinals to also want to see an American Pope. That was the gist of it as best I can recall.
That's pretty much it.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #677 on: March 01, 2013, 03:49:40 PM »

I've been told by Catholics that I'm still a Catholic (and consequently Benedict is still the Pope I should be following/listening to...or was until yesterday) by virtue of my baptism and their "indelible mark" theology. Not many, admittedly/thankfully, but they are out there. When I have told them in response that the Orthodox Church did not accept my RC baptism (by pouring, not triple immersion) and that we do not have this belief that "once a X, always an X" via some kind of mark or otherwise, they've either implied that this is irrelevant (I guess only RC sacraments count, even when their official documents say otherwise), or that we really do believe this, I just don't understand Orthodoxy (and I guess by implication, they do, since they say that we believe the same thing)...just like how I just don't understand Catholicism, either...what will I not understand next? Cheesy

We may not always get along, Catholics, but I must say...every day is an adventure with you people. Wink
Very odd that the papacy leaves no indelible mark, given their "once a priest, always a priest, priest forever after the order of Melchizedek" theology.

Much of Vatican teaching doesn't.  In this case, if you go with their doctor Cajetan's interpretation (sanctioned by their supreme pontiffs) that the church is defective without a supreme pontiff.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #678 on: March 01, 2013, 03:51:55 PM »

Life's just full of paradoxes, contradictions, and perceived inconsistencies, ain't it  Grin?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #679 on: March 01, 2013, 04:04:48 PM »

Life's just full of paradoxes, contradictions, and perceived inconsistencies, ain't it  Grin?
and inconsistencies as well.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #680 on: March 01, 2013, 04:06:46 PM »

and inconsistencies as well.

Yup.  Them, too.  Wink

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #681 on: March 01, 2013, 04:08:14 PM »

So...my choice for the round of 16  Tongue:

Timothy Dolan (US)
Marc Oullet (Canada)

Joao Braz de Aviz (Brazil)
Leonardo Sandri (Argentina)

Gianfranco Ravasi (Italy)
Christoph Schoenborn (Austria)

John Onaiyekan (Nigeria)
Luis Antonio Tagle (Philippines)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:08:23 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #682 on: March 01, 2013, 04:13:19 PM »

Yes it would. I really do wish it was Dolan, though I know he doesn't really have a chance. I think Dolan would be a vocal leader like JPII. Though, I'm not sure he's academic enough.

I'd love for it to be Cardinal Dolan as well, but heard an interview with Fr. Joseph Fessio a while back where he said there's little chance of that happening.  Something along the lines that America is too prominant a power for other Cardinals to also want to see an American Pope. That was the gist of it as best I can recall.

Personally, I'd pick Cardinal O'Malley.  I guess since I was once a Franciscan I'm sort of prejudice to them, besides, I think he handled the clergy-sex scandal fairly well and selling the cardinal's palace is another plus.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #683 on: March 01, 2013, 04:17:04 PM »

The papacy and cardinals are just official offices, the priesthood includes the deacon, priest and bishop.  Bishop being the fullness of the priesthood.  Even Archbishop and Metropolitan are just titles of honor.

ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #684 on: March 01, 2013, 04:21:23 PM »

The papacy and cardinals are just official offices, the priesthood includes the deacon, priest and bishop.  Bishop being the fullness of the priesthood.  Even Archbishop and Metropolitan are just titles of honor.
you shouldn't project Orthodox ecclesiology on the Vatican's dogma.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #685 on: March 01, 2013, 04:24:47 PM »

But is he?  If he's incorrect in what he wrote.....how so?

Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #686 on: March 01, 2013, 04:29:49 PM »

Men are ordained deacons, priests and bishops.  No one is ordained an archbishop, metropolitan, cardinal, pope or patriarch.  Its always been that way in the Catholic church, at least during my years there.

ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #687 on: March 01, 2013, 04:49:15 PM »

the papacy as Pastor Aeternus defines it is not "just [an] official office."  It alone, according to the Vatican's doctor Cajetan, "being the fullness of the priesthood," and more than just a title of honor.

ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #688 on: March 01, 2013, 04:52:02 PM »

Men are ordained deacons, priests and bishops.  No one is ordained an archbishop, metropolitan, cardinal, pope or patriarch.  Its always been that way in the Catholic church, at least during my years there.
and yet the Vatican's pope claims the grace of infallibility and supremacy outside the sacramental system.

As pointing out, no one is claiming that the Vatican's teachings "mesh."

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #689 on: March 01, 2013, 04:53:13 PM »

Timothy Dolan (US)
Marc Oullet (Canada)

John Onaiyekan (Nigeria)

I'm not knowledgeable enough to pick from each bracket.

I hate that they Put Cardinals Turkson vs Tagle so early. I'd have to go with Turkson, but like them both. I know next to nothing about the Latin American Cardinals. I know Cardinal Schoenborn has a very good relationship with the Eastern Churches. Definitely a fan of Cardinal Dolan and have heard good things about Cardinal Oullet.

Timothy Dolan (US)
Marc Oullet (Canada)

Abstain
Abstain

Abstain

Abstain
Peter Turkson (Ghana)

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #690 on: March 01, 2013, 04:58:22 PM »

Timothy Dolan (US)
Marc Oullet (Canada)

John Onaiyekan (Nigeria)

I hate that they Put Cardinals Turkson vs Tagle so early. I'd have to go with Turkson, but like them both. I know next to nothing about the Latin American Cardinals. I know Cardinal Schoenborn has a very good relationship with the Eastern Churches. Definitely a fan of Cardinal Dolan and have heard good things about Cardinal Oullet.

Timothy Dolan (US)
Marc Oullet (Canada)

Abstain
Abstain

Abstain

Abstain
Peter Turkson (Ghana)

I wikipediaed most of them to base my decisions  Wink

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #691 on: March 01, 2013, 05:00:51 PM »

And down the stretch they come! It's Nigeria, in front of Japan, but then here comes Brazil! Folks, this is the most exciting race we've had in years!

And the crowd goes wild! "What do we want? White smoke! When do we want it? Now!"

With all the cardinals in town, it'll be a big week for the ecclesiastical laundromats, that's for sure. Now over to the weather.  Smiley
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #692 on: March 01, 2013, 05:00:54 PM »

I wikipediaed most of them to base my decisions  Wink

Ahh, a fellow netodox  Cheesy

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #693 on: March 01, 2013, 05:01:37 PM »

And down the stretch they come! It's Nigeria, in front of Japan, but then here comes Brazil! Folks, this is the most exciting race we've had in years!

And the crowd goes wild! "What do we want? White smoke! When do we want it? Now!"

With all the cardinals in town, it'll be a big week for the ecclesiastical laundromats, that's for sure. Now over to the weather.  Smiley

LOL!

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #694 on: March 01, 2013, 05:06:06 PM »

+1

Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #695 on: March 01, 2013, 05:06:29 PM »

the papacy as Pastor Aeternus defines it is not "just [an] official office."  It alone, according to the Vatican's doctor Cajetan, "being the fullness of the priesthood," and more than just a title of honor.

No where in these 2 sites do I see the pope as the fullness of the priesthood:

The Pope:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12260a.htm

The Priesthood:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12409a.htm

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #696 on: March 01, 2013, 05:06:37 PM »

Timothy Dolan (US)
Marc Oullet (Canada)

John Onaiyekan (Nigeria)

Timothy Dolan (US)
Marc Oullet (Canada)

Abstain
Abstain

Abstain

Abstain
Peter Turkson (Ghana)
Cardinal Schoenborn is a bit too liberal for my tastes. I fear he would not have the courage to continue Pope Benedict's reform of the reform.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #697 on: March 01, 2013, 05:07:28 PM »

LOL!

Thanks.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #698 on: March 01, 2013, 05:07:56 PM »

The Pope:

The Priesthood:
Seems like Ialmisry may just be making stuff up.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #699 on: March 01, 2013, 05:16:20 PM »

Timothy Dolan (US)
Marc Oullet (Canada)

John Onaiyekan (Nigeria)

Timothy Dolan (US)
Marc Oullet (Canada)

Abstain
Abstain

Abstain

Abstain
Peter Turkson (Ghana)

It was tough choosing between Turkson and Tagle, but Tagle's dissertation that had a great effect on Vatican II, his tackling of the sex abuse scandal, as well as his seemingly charismatic personality made me choose him over Turkson.

Schoenborn's tackling of the sex abuse scandal and his views on condoms as "lesser evil" attracted me.  His multilingual status and close relationship with Pope Benedict are extra credits for him.

Marc Oullet...just a remarkable resume!

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #700 on: March 01, 2013, 05:21:49 PM »

Timothy Dolan (US)
Marc Oullet (Canada)

John Onaiyekan (Nigeria)

Timothy Dolan (US)
Marc Oullet (Canada)

Abstain
Abstain

Abstain

Abstain
Peter Turkson (Ghana)

It was tough choosing between Turkson and Tagle, but Tagle's dissertation that had a great effect on Vatican II, his tackling of the sex abuse scandal, as well as his seemingly charismatic personality made me choose him over Turkson.

Schoenborn's tackling of the sex abuse scandal and his views on condoms as "lesser evil" attracted me.  His multilingual status and close relationship with Pope Benedict are extra credits for him.

As I don't get to vote and my opinion about it isn't worth a damn, I'll just wait and see who they pick and then read up on him.  My hope is that they pick someone very conservative with a very strong backbone.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #701 on: March 01, 2013, 05:23:16 PM »

Timothy Dolan (US)
Marc Oullet (Canada)

John Onaiyekan (Nigeria)

Timothy Dolan (US)
Marc Oullet (Canada)

Abstain
Abstain

Abstain

Abstain
Peter Turkson (Ghana)

As I don't get to vote and my opinion about it isn't worth a damn, I'll just wait and see who they pick and then read up on him.  My hope is that they pick someone very conservative with a very strong backbone.
^ This
You are on a posting roll

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #702 on: March 01, 2013, 05:26:39 PM »

Timothy Dolan (US)
Marc Oullet (Canada)

John Onaiyekan (Nigeria)

Timothy Dolan (US)
Marc Oullet (Canada)

Abstain
Abstain

Abstain

Abstain
Peter Turkson (Ghana)

^ This
You are on a posting roll

There's nothing to do at work, so....... Grin  The weekend begins in 1/2 hour--not a minute too soon!!!

James2
Mr.
High Elder

Faith: skeptic

« Reply #703 on: March 01, 2013, 05:28:16 PM »

Maybe if Cardinal Dolan is chosen he will introduce new hats as pope.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #704 on: March 01, 2013, 05:29:11 PM »

I think I may take a little time to look for articles or other things written by these candidates. Should be interesting to get an estimate of what their different leanings in office may be.

Personally, I was hoping for Cdl. Arinze. Shucks.  Undecided
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #705 on: March 01, 2013, 05:30:40 PM »

he was better as Cardinal Ratzinger. As Pope Benedict XVI he botched the whole Patriarchate of the West thing.

Yes, I'm sure it's shocking to you Orthodox that a title that was in the Annuario Pontificio since 1863 is no longer there.
[/sarcasm]
Not shocking, just revealing

Boy are my cheeks red.

[File red_cheeks.jpg not found]

But anyhow, I'm curious how you think it's revealing. Is it presumptuous for Benedict to reverse a move made by Pius IX?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #706 on: March 01, 2013, 05:34:20 PM »

Timothy Dolan (US)
Marc Oullet (Canada)

John Onaiyekan (Nigeria)

Timothy Dolan (US)
Marc Oullet (Canada)

Abstain
Abstain

Abstain

Abstain
Peter Turkson (Ghana)

It's mindless fun, I admit... Tongue
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 05:34:42 PM by minasoliman » Logged

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #707 on: March 01, 2013, 05:38:53 PM »

Timothy Dolan (US)
Marc Oullet (Canada)

John Onaiyekan (Nigeria)

Timothy Dolan (US)
Marc Oullet (Canada)

Abstain
Abstain

Abstain

Abstain
Peter Turkson (Ghana)

It's mindless fun, I admit... Tongue

Hey, I'm not criticizing... Wink

choy
Archon

« Reply #708 on: March 01, 2013, 05:52:46 PM »

It's lent, we can't have someone who has a backbone.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #709 on: March 01, 2013, 05:54:41 PM »

The Pope:

The Priesthood:
Look at the quotes from Cajetan, and the plaudites for him from the "supreme pontiffs", above.

ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #710 on: March 01, 2013, 05:55:24 PM »

The Pope:

The Priesthood:
Seems like Ialmisry may just be making stuff up.
No, I leave that to your magisterium, quoted above.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #711 on: March 01, 2013, 05:56:41 PM »

What's this "we" crap?  I thought you left the Catholic Church.  Grin

Besides, Popes are not to be eaten.  Unless you're an Orthodox cannibal, that is.

ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #712 on: March 01, 2013, 05:57:07 PM »

he was better as Cardinal Ratzinger. As Pope Benedict XVI he botched the whole Patriarchate of the West thing.

Yes, I'm sure it's shocking to you Orthodox that a title that was in the Annuario Pontificio since 1863 is no longer there.
[/sarcasm]
Not shocking, just revealing

Boy are my cheeks red.

[File red_cheeks.jpg not found]

But anyhow, I'm curious how you think it's revealing. Is it presumptuous for Benedict to reverse a move made by Pius IX?
No, it is dissimulating to claim he did.  (the move in question, being made in 1870).

Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #713 on: March 01, 2013, 05:58:24 PM »

Some people's imaginations can go quite wild.

Please note, I said that I have a sense of foreboding regarding the whole papal resignation thing. I did not say that I have any theory regarding it. I did not say I have tried to parse everything to glean some deeper understanding. I am not entertaining any "conspiracy theory" about any aspect of it (the modern N-word that shuts down rational debate). I did not say I had really thought much about it, or had drawn any conclusions.

All that stuff is in the eye of a beholder or two. And only.

The fact remains, I still have a sense of most unpleasant foreboding about it. (shrug)
choy
Archon

« Reply #714 on: March 01, 2013, 06:00:58 PM »

What's this "we" crap?  I thought you left the Catholic Church.  Grin

Besides, Popes are not to be eaten.  Unless you're an Orthodox cannibal, that is.

We're still hoping the next Pope will return the Church to Orthodoxy Wink
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #715 on: March 01, 2013, 06:04:49 PM »

About the possibility of Roman Catholics reuniting with the Church, what saint was it, who said that the days of the Ecumenical Councils and mass receptions are over, and that now the only way that people can be united to the Church, is through individual conversion and reception?

Not that it is dogma, but it is thought-provoking.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #716 on: March 01, 2013, 06:06:25 PM »

About the possibility of Roman Catholics reuniting with the Church, what saint was it, who said that the days of the Ecumenical Councils and mass receptions are over, and that now the only way that people can be united to the Church, is through individual conversion and reception?

A little sad, I think. But that's just me.
choy
Archon

« Reply #717 on: March 01, 2013, 06:24:04 PM »

I agree completely!  The RC Church changed a lot since the Reformation.  I'm hoping that Orthodoxy can have such an impact that the RC Church reacts to Orthodoxy making them more Orthodox, which eventually will lead to the reunion.  The Reformation made them more Protestant, despite efforts to counter the Reformation.  That is why I always believe that the major departure of the RC Church from Apostolic traidtions is Trent, not Vatican II.  Vatican II is just the child of Trent and the Reformation.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #718 on: March 01, 2013, 06:49:32 PM »

I agree completely! 

I also agree, at least to an extent: I think that the time we are living in now isn't a time of major reconciliations. However, I don't want to project that into future generations. (Of course, I'm not suggesting that future generations will have more union-of-brest style unions. To my mind, the Union of Brest et al were not examples of ecumenism, but of people switching from one side to the other.)

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Clemente
Elder

Jurisdiction: Europe

« Reply #719 on: March 01, 2013, 07:17:38 PM »

Wow! Why so much interest in a heterodox church? I cannot imagine why the schismatic bishop of Rome should elicit such interest.

When we say, "I believe in one Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church" are you thinking that includes Rome as well? If not, why such interest in the papacy?
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: