OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 04:13:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Pope to resign?!?! / Pope Benedict XVI resigns / Pope set to resign on Feb. 28th  (Read 15962 times) Average Rating: 0
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2013, 12:44:45 PM »

Wow this is incredible.

This is, what, the first time a Pope has resigned office in hundreds of years?! I can't imagine that he's just tired of the job, so it leads one to wonder what precipitated this. The Vatican is such a black box politically it's hard to say what's going on, but I fully expect some interesting leaks to be coming our way soon while people position themselves.
There's no need to speculate about such things that are beyond our understanding.
Such an admonition will do nothing do stop those who feel compelled, for whatever reason(s), to so so nonetheless.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2013, 12:46:46 PM »

Ive heard some rumours he suffers from severe cancer.

Ahh...the rumor mill keeps on grinding  Wink

Until we actually *know* something....

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2013, 01:08:13 PM »

I think we should take him at his word. He has a great mind and a deeper understanding of, and appreciation for,
 eastern Christianity than any Pope in centuries. Since his papacy has been brief, history will likely regard him as a placeholder. Perhaps he wants to finish research and writing to put his mark on church history more as  as a thinker and important theologian? In any event, Many Years!
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2013, 01:23:10 PM »

I think there are two Byzantine Catholic Cardinals and both would be over 80 years old in a future conclave after 28th February 2013. So there are three possibilities for an Eastern Catholic Pope - the Maronite Patriarch Bechara Boutros al Rahi and the Major Archbishops of the Syro-Malabar and the Syro-Malankara Catholic Churches Smiley

Well technically there are millions of possibilities for an Eastern Catholic pope.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2013, 01:23:29 PM »

Maybe the Pope is resigning so he can become Orthodox Smiley
He has been Orthodox all his life.  Grin

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2013, 01:25:19 PM »

Just heard about it on the news...WOW!

So, Who do yall think will get the job?
Matthew Fox

Hey don't make me come over there!

But seriously, it's kind of funny that you say that; I made a quip on a recent thread about it being "the Age of Aquarius", which made me think of Fr. Mitch Pacwa's book "Catholics and the New Age"; then this morning I was watching Fr. Pacwa talk about the Pope's resignation; now your joke (I assume it was Cheesy) about M. Fox.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2013, 01:26:43 PM »

He already is orthodox, and doesn't need to resign to become so.  Smiley Smiley

He has been Orthodox all his life.  Grin

Is it funnier the second time?

Wink

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2013, 01:28:05 PM »

I'm very disappointed to see His Holiness leave the office. He has been an excellent Pope who has taken the first step of directing the Church back in the right direction. I pray that his successor continues Pope Benedict's work.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2013, 01:35:21 PM »

My hope is that, whomever is selected as the new Pope, he picks a good name like Michael, and not one that's hard to spell.

There already is a Pope Michael:

There's apparently a documentary about Pope Michael that's free for viewing.

I know what I'll be watching during my lunch hour.

If you want to feel a little depressed . . .

I should have listen to this warning, I could not go more than the first 15 minutes, but by then the damage was done. I would categorize  this under ' more than a little depressing' even without seeing the whole pitiful and disturbing story.

A little depressed was for my dear Schultzl who is immune to Weltschmerz, if only from having drunk from its cup so deeply.

Most people would require an SSRI to make it through the documentary.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2013, 01:38:01 PM »

I don't understand the idea of resigning from papacy. I know that according to RCC papacy is a office and not a sacrament but still there is something fishy in the idea.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2013, 01:44:19 PM »

I don't understand the idea of resigning from papacy. I know that according to RCC papacy is a office and not a sacrament but still there is something fishy in the idea.

Same here. A Pope voluntarily abdicating doesn't have much of a precedent if you discount the Pope whom Dante saw in hell.

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2013, 01:47:27 PM »

I think he said he's too sick to do the daily work. That's what I heard on the news.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2013, 01:47:54 PM »

Wow. God be with him. I have always liked Pope Benedict. He is a serious, erudite man, and the humility he displays in resigning for the good of his church is refreshing and commendable. I hope that my Roman friends will be blessed with a Pope to continue in his line.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2013, 01:48:33 PM »

I think he said he's too sick to do the daily work. That's what I heard on the news.
Being an 85 year old Pope is not an easy task. With the increase in life expectancy, I suspect we will see more Popes who resign over the next 100 years.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2013, 01:49:39 PM »

Same here. A Pope voluntarily abdicating doesn't have much of a precedent if you discount the Pope whom Dante saw in hell.

Why does his resignation have to be "fishy" just because we do not yet understand or know all the details of it?  Why can we not take him at his word, that he is resigning because he is not physically up to the task and just leave it at that for now?

A Pope voluntarily abdicating will now have a better precedent after Feb. 28, 2013.  There is much we do not understand.  If we wait and keep our hearts open, perhaps with more time we will have greater understanding.

Many Years to His Holiness!!!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 01:50:43 PM by J Michael » Logged

Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2013, 01:50:19 PM »

"Historical evidence for papal resignations is limited, especially if one eliminates resignations that may have been forced.

Clement I (92?-101): Epiphanius asserted that Clement gave up the pontificate to Linus for the sake of peace and became pope again after the death of Cletus.

Pontian (230-235): Allegedly resigned after being exiled to the mines of Sardinia during persecution of Maximinus Thrax.

Cyriacus: A fictional character created in the Middle Ages who supposedly received a heavenly command to resign.

Marcellinus (296-304): Abdicated or was deposed after complying with Diocletian's order to offer sacrifice to pagan gods.

Martin I (649-655): Exiled by Emperor Constans II to Crimea. Before he died, clergy of Rome elected a successor whom he appears to have approved.

Benedict V (964): After one month in office, he accepted deposition by Emperor Otto I.

Benedict IX (1032-45): Benedict resigned after selling the papacy to his godfather Gregory VI.

Gregory VI (1045-46): Deposed for simony by Henry III.

Celestine V (1294): A hermit, elected at age of 80 and overwhelmed by the office, resigned. He was imprisoned by his successor.

Gregory XII (1406-15): Resigned at request of Council of Constance to help end the Great Western Schism."

Perhaps Benedict XVI resigned to help end the Great Schism. Well, I can hope, can't I?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 01:53:20 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
choy
Archon

« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2013, 01:59:27 PM »

So the ancient Pentarchy is getting a clean sweep.  New Coptic Pope of Alexandria, new Greek Patriarch of Antioch, now a new Pope of Rome by the Spring.  Anybody checked on Patriarch Bartholomew I if he's booking a Mediterranean Cruise in the near future?
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2013, 02:01:02 PM »

So the ancient Pentarchy is getting a clean sweep.  New Coptic Pope of Alexandria, new Greek Patriarch of Antioch, now a new Pope of Rome by the Spring.  Anybody checked on Patriarch Bartholomew I if he's booking a Mediterranean Cruise in the near future?

You forgot the Armenian Patriarch of Jerusalem.

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2013, 02:01:27 PM »

There is a Rule of Five?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »

By the list recently posted, it appears that Benedict XVI probably has much in common with Celestine V.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
James2
Mr.
High Elder

Faith: skeptic

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2013, 02:20:40 PM »

Surprising news, but it makes sense.  I never understood why cardinals aged 80 and over are barred from participating in a conclave, but that the Pope himself can stay in office past that age.  Not to mention that all other diocesan bishops are required to submit their resignations when they reach 75.  I hope that Pope Benedict has a long retirement which enables him to recover his health.  He is a good man and has been a good Pope.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2013, 02:21:58 PM »

In Light of the World, Pope Benedict responded unambiguously to a question about whether a pope could resign: "Yes. If a Pope clearly realizes that he is no longer physically, psychologically, and spiritually capable of handling the duties of his office, then he has a right and, under some circumstances, also an obligation to resign."

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2013, 02:23:26 PM »

I'm also sorry to see him go...  Sad

From his days as a Cardinal:

Lamenting not having the spare time to visit Rome or read anything else but theology.

The Church is not a democracy - an interesting talk in Italian.

Vespers in the Chartreuse of Serra San Bruno in October 2011 - a beautiful sermon from 56' onward. Speaks loads about where his heart is. Unfortunately, no English subtitles here either.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:39:39 PM by Romaios » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2013, 02:23:39 PM »

Being an 85 year old Pope is not an easy task. With the increase in life expectancy, I suspect we will see more Popes who resign over the next 100 years.

By "something fishy in the idea" I mean that idea of Benedict ceasing to be a pope. Retired bishops are still bishops but I assume retired pope would cease to be a pope.
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2013, 02:36:01 PM »

Why? Thinking he might have an accident during 'lifeboat drill'? Sadly too many people die during these drills. I don't recommend participating in a fire boat drill, whether or not you're a Patriarch.
choy
Archon

« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2013, 02:52:13 PM »

You forgot the Armenian Patriarch of Jerusalem.

Many do.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2013, 02:52:29 PM »

Last time I saw him-the pope I mean- he said he was planing on becoming an inquirer  at the closest OCA or Antiochian mission church as soon as he resigned, hoping to be Chrismated on Pascha. He said he couldn't bear celebrating it once more on the wrong calendar.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2013, 02:57:38 PM »

I don't see why, other than the fact that it hasn't happened since before the Council of Florence.

Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2013, 02:57:53 PM »

Last time I saw him-the pope I mean- he said he was planing on becoming an inquirer  at the closest OCA or Antiochian mission church as soon as he resigned, hoping to be Chrismated on Pascha. He said he couldn't bear celebrating it once more on the wrong calendar.

Pope Michael, you mean?  laugh
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2013, 03:06:16 PM »

By the list recently posted, it appears that Benedict XVI probably has much in common with Celestine V.
Scott Hahn posted this on Facebook earlier. Resignation seems to have been on his mind for sometime :

"Back on April 29, 2009, Pope Benedict XVI did something rather striking, but which went largely unnoticed.

He stopped off in Aquila, Italy, and visited the tomb of an obscure medieval Pope named St. Celestine V (1215-1296). After a brief prayer, he left his pallium, the symbol of his own episcopal authority as Bishop of Rome, on top of Celestine's tomb!

Fifteen months later, on July 4, 2010, Benedict went out of his way again, this time to visit and pray in the cathedral of Sulmona, near Rome, before the relics of this same saint, Celestine V.

Few people, however, noticed at the time.

Only now, we may be gaining a better understanding of what it meant. These actions were probably more than pious acts. More likely, they were profound and symbolic gestures of a very personal nature, which conveyed a message that a Pope can hardly deliver any other way.

In the year 1294, this man (Fr. Pietro Angelerio), known by all as a devout and holy priest, was elected Pope, somewhat against his will, shortly before his 80th birthday (Ratzinger was 78 when he was elected Pope in 2005). Just five months later, after issuing a formal decree allowing popes to resign (or abdicate, like other rulers), Pope Celestine V exercised that right. And now Pope Benedict XVI has chosen to follow in the footsteps of this venerable model.
"

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
choy
Archon

« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2013, 03:07:28 PM »

Will he be received via Vesting as a Patriarch?
choy
Archon

« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2013, 03:09:28 PM »

Why? Thinking he might have an accident during 'lifeboat drill'? Sadly too many people die during these drills. I don't recommend participating in a fire boat drill, whether or not you're a Patriarch.

No, going on a cruise is usually what people in retirement do.  Why does he have to have an accident?  Pope Benedict is just retiring.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2013, 03:09:43 PM »

Chrismation most likely and then on the fast track to becoming OCA's next metropolitan. By fall or so.
He'll be properly catechized by Fr. Hopko himself.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:13:56 PM by augustin717 » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2013, 03:12:27 PM »

My hope is that, whomever is selected as the new Pope, he picks a good name like Michael, and not one that's hard to spell.

There already is a Pope Michael:

There's apparently a documentary about Pope Michael that's free for viewing.

I know what I'll be watching during my lunch hour.

If you want to feel a little depressed . . .

I should have listen to this warning, I could not go more than the first 15 minutes, but by then the damage was done. I would categorize  this under ' more than a little depressing' even without seeing the whole pitiful and disturbing story.

A little depressed was for my dear Schultzl who is immune to Weltschmerz, if only from having drunk from its cup so deeply.

Most people would require an SSRI to make it through the documentary.

I actually found this very sad.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2013, 03:15:22 PM »

First what I thought "He took them (Roman Catholics) just before the most important time of the year - the Great Lent and Holy Week!".

Then it reminded me of a movie realesed in 2011 "Habemus Papam". If somebody has seen it, he knows what I mean. Here you can watch a trailer

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2013, 03:20:17 PM »

Stephen Colbert

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2013, 03:20:26 PM »

Chrismation most likely and then on the fast track to becoming OCA's next metropolitan. By fall or so.

You... I like you...
choy
Archon

« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2013, 03:24:23 PM »

Stephen Colbert

I will return to the Catholic Church if that happens
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2013, 03:30:12 PM »

Stephen Colbert

I will return to the Catholic Church if that happens

Come on back, then, and welcome home!! Grin  For, you see, Stephen Colbert *has* happened.  No, he didn't and won't become Pope, but Jetavan didn't say anything about that that I saw.  Grin Grin

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2013, 03:33:17 PM »

Benedict XVI was a great and erudite Pope. I think it's sad he resigns. I hope that an Eastern Catholic cardinal is elected Pope.

I think that is impossible because the Latin Catholic Pope is required to be of the Roman-rite.

There was a thread about the Pope being "omni-ritual" (although I don't know if I could find it now).

The Eastern Catholics have their own patriarchs who are appointed by the Latin Pope and are subject to the Latin Pope.

This is false (as others already pointed out). EC patriarchs aren't appointed by the pope. -edited
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:44:07 PM by Peter J » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2013, 03:39:20 PM »

Scott Hahn posted this on Facebook earlier. Resignation seems to have been on his mind for sometime :

"Back on April 29, 2009, Pope Benedict XVI did something rather striking, but which went largely unnoticed.

He stopped off in Aquila, Italy, and visited the tomb of an obscure medieval Pope named St. Celestine V (1215-1296). After a brief prayer, he left his pallium, the symbol of his own episcopal authority as Bishop of Rome, on top of Celestine's tomb!

Fifteen months later, on July 4, 2010, Benedict went out of his way again, this time to visit and pray in the cathedral of Sulmona, near Rome, before the relics of this same saint, Celestine V.
"

Interesting. They were talking a bit about Celestine on EWTN this morning, but they didn't mention those actions of Benedict's.

choy
Archon

« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2013, 03:40:52 PM »

This is false (as others already pointed out).

We should stop pretending that it is not true.  It is.  Why would the Patriarchs come to Rome when the Pope summons them to *his* synod?  It is a pipe dream to think that the EC Patriarchs are not subject to the Pope.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2013, 03:41:13 PM »

Benedict XVI was a great and erudite Pope. I think it's sad he resigns. I hope that an Eastern Catholic cardinal is elected Pope.

Trying..........to........hold......my......breath...(gasp)...

Huh?

To put it mildly, an Eastern Catholic Pope would probably have a negative impact on Orthodox-Catholic relations.

Most Orthodox would much prefer a "Latin" Pope over an Eastern Catholic one.

I think the Orthodox are happy as long as they have something to complain about -- which they would, either way.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2013, 03:52:18 PM »

Trying..........to........hold......my......breath...(gasp)...

Huh?

To put it mildly, an Eastern Catholic Pope would probably have a negative impact on Orthodox-Catholic relations.

It seems too early for the fifth column to move.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2013, 03:53:39 PM »

To put it mildly, an Easter Catholic Pope would probably have a negative impact on Orthodox-Catholic relations.

So? A Byzantine Pope would be awesome. An Oriental one is fine too.

Assuming hell froze over to make it happen, he would most likely cease being Byzantine/Oriental upon election.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: