OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 03:57:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Pope to resign?!?! / Pope Benedict XVI resigns / Pope set to resign on Feb. 28th  (Read 17047 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #225 on: February 12, 2013, 08:07:58 AM »

Have you shed your own liberal tendencies?

Tough, I heard that he was a proponent of liberal beliefs ( as head of the Pontifical council for Justice and Peace they recently issued a statement calling for world currency and government).  As a European American I'm proud of my culture,  religion,  and heritage and wish to see those things preservfor posterity.  If that's not PC to some people, then too bad.  I'm not a very PC person and make no bones about it. People of all races and colors are welcome in the Big Ten of the Roman Church, But people like myself would like to see that shirt continue to be becenter in Europe and certainly not become the religious equivalent to the Obama administration and all its policies.
I hope that its not that African Cardinal ( Peter Tongo something)
I heard rumors that he might be an Afro Marxist eho would either favor third world nations over the desperately needed re evangelization of European nations.  He could also try to liberalize or Africanize the RC liturgy and theology / morality.  We need to reme.mber as Belloc said Europe is the faith and vis a versa. Other nations have the place but we should always take care of our mother first

You disgust me.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Balthasar
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #226 on: February 12, 2013, 09:03:36 AM »

Wooow! Huh A Roman Catholic Pope gets more attention in an Orthodox forum than Orthodox church leaders. What could be the reason?  Roll Eyes

Anyways, just before the beginning of the 2nd World War, fascist Italy carried out a systematic mass extermination campaign in Ethiopia with poison gas sprayed from airplanes and other horrific atrocities that claimed the lives of no less than 1,000,000 Ethiopian men, women and children, including the entire monastic community at the historic Debre Libanos Monastery ...from that time until now, no fascist Italian has ever been held accountable for the genocide of the Ethiopian people from 1935-1941, nor has the Vatican ever apologized for its complicity which are conveyed by Pope Pius XI's support of Mussolini's "civilizing mission" in Ethiopia: The Holy Father remained "conspicuously silent" while Vatican clergy blessed fascist military troops, and their weapons, before they departed to carryout Mussolini's "civilizing mission" in Ethiopia.

Do you know that a Catholic Pope never visited one of the oldest Christian nations, Ethiopia?

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #227 on: February 12, 2013, 09:26:31 AM »

I heard rumors that he might be an Afro Marxist eho would either favor third world nations over the desperately needed re evangelization of European nations.  He could also try to liberalize or Africanize the RC liturgy and theology / morality.  We need to reme.mber as Belloc said Europe is the faith and vis a versa. Other nations have the place but we should always take care of our mother first

they haven't elected a bishop of Rome for some time.  It's been an election for "supreme pontiff," in which Italy is just another province.

Maybe he can stay on as archbishop of Rome for the Vatican, and let them elect a different "supreme pontiff."
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:44:24 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #228 on: February 12, 2013, 09:28:24 AM »

I heard rumors that he might be an Afro Marxist eho would either favor third world nations over the desperately needed re evangelization of European nations.  He could also try to liberalize or Africanize the RC liturgy and theology / morality.  We need to reme.mber as Belloc said Europe is the faith and vis a versa. Other nations have the place but we should always take care of our mother first

"Africa is great and all, but seriously guys, a white guy said something last century that I think completely trumps reality, so let's all focus on that."

Europe is the faith, my behind. Haven't seen Mass attendance rates in Europe at any point in the last decade or so I take it, Robb? They're not great, and hardly likely to improve.

Oddly enough, all indications point to African priests re-evangelizing the West, in direct contradiction of your unfounded idea that the African Catholic Church would place the needs of third world countries ahead of those of Europe (that they're doing the opposite, in fact, when they could very easily make the case that they need to tend to in-country needs is, frankly, amazing and highly commendable; when was the last time you went to Africa to serve the RCC faithful there?). Unless you think that Africans are too stupid to walk and chew gum at the same time, I don't see how such a ridiculous, insulting string of thoughts could ever enter your mind.

I hope you get a chance to meet some African Catholics some day, Robb. Many put the average Anglo/Euro-Catholic to shame in the strength of their devotions.
Btw, it was the first African archbishop of Rome, St. Victor I, who introduced the Latin mass to Rome.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #229 on: February 12, 2013, 09:32:26 AM »

Wooow! Huh A Roman Catholic Pope gets more attention in an Orthodox forum than Orthodox church leaders. What could be the reason?  Roll Eyes

Anyways, just before the beginning of the 2nd World War, fascist Italy carried out a systematic mass extermination campaign in Ethiopia with poison gas sprayed from airplanes and other horrific atrocities that claimed the lives of no less than 1,000,000 Ethiopian men, women and children, including the entire monastic community at the historic Debre Libanos Monastery ...from that time until now, no fascist Italian has ever been held accountable for the genocide of the Ethiopian people from 1935-1941, nor has the Vatican ever apologized for its complicity which are conveyed by Pope Pius XI's support of Mussolini's "civilizing mission" in Ethiopia: The Holy Father remained "conspicuously silent" while Vatican clergy blessed fascist military troops, and their weapons, before they departed to carryout Mussolini's "civilizing mission" in Ethiopia.

Do you know that a Catholic Pope never visited one of the oldest Christian nations, Ethiopia?

You never miss a chance, do you?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #230 on: February 12, 2013, 10:19:41 AM »

No fascist Italian has ever been held responsible?

Mussolini was strung up by his toes. Not exactly getting out of it lightly.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #231 on: February 12, 2013, 10:24:16 AM »

they haven't elected a bishop of Rome for some time.  It's been an election for "supreme pontiff," in which Italy is just another province.

Maybe he can stay on as archbishop of Rome for the Vatican, and let them elect a different "supreme pontiff."
There is no Archbishop of Rome, because the leader of the Diocese of Rome is entitled the Bishop of Rome, of which the office of the Pope is the same.

SCREW BON JOVI!
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #232 on: February 12, 2013, 10:29:09 AM »

There is no Archbishop of Rome, because the leader of the Diocese of Rome is entitled the Bishop of Rome, of which the office of the Pope is the same.
this is the bishop of Rome

As for the Vatican hierarchy, I am aware that the archbishoprick of Rome has been abolished, like the Patriarchate of the West, in favor of the "supreme pontiff."

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #233 on: February 12, 2013, 10:33:29 AM »

I heard rumors that he might be an Afro Marxist eho would either favor third world nations over the desperately needed re evangelization of European nations.  He could also try to liberalize or Africanize the RC liturgy and theology / morality.  We need to reme.mber as Belloc said Europe is the faith and vis a versa. Other nations have the place but we should always take care of our mother first

they haven't elected a bishop of Rome for some time.  It's been an election for "supreme pontiff," in which Italy is just another province.

No, he is not.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #234 on: February 12, 2013, 10:35:28 AM »

As for the Vatican hierarchy, I am aware that the archbishoprick of Rome has been abolished, like the Patriarchate of the West, in favor of the "supreme pontiff."

I'm not even going to argue your semantics game, but that diocese has always just been that, a diocese, not an archdiocese.

(And to argue your point, that is the Metropolitian of Italy, not Rome)

SCREW BON JOVI!
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #235 on: February 12, 2013, 10:37:57 AM »

"(Reuters) - Pope Benedict had a heart pacemaker installed some time ago but was not suffering from poor health and remained lucid and serene in the wake of his decision to resign, the Vatican spokesman said on Tuesday."

Sursum corda.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 10:38:36 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #236 on: February 12, 2013, 10:39:52 AM »

"Africa is great and all, but seriously guys, a white guy said something last century that I think completely trumps reality, so let's all focus on that."

Europe is the faith, my behind. Haven't seen Mass attendance rates in Europe at any point in the last decade or so I take it, Robb? They're not great, and hardly likely to improve.

Oddly enough, all indications point to African priests re-evangelizing the West, in direct contradiction of your unfounded idea that the African Catholic Church would place the needs of third world countries ahead of those of Europe (that they're doing the opposite, in fact, when they could very easily make the case that they need to tend to in-country needs is, frankly, amazing and highly commendable; when was the last time you went to Africa to serve the RCC faithful there?). Unless you think that Africans are too stupid to walk and chew gum at the same time, I don't see how such a ridiculous, insulting string of thoughts could ever enter your mind.

I hope you get a chance to meet some African Catholics some day, Robb. Many put the average Anglo/Euro-Catholic to shame in the strength of their devotions.
We have a priest from Uganda at my parish right now. He is probably one the holiest priests I have met.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #237 on: February 12, 2013, 10:40:17 AM »

Amongst all the jokes and wishful thinking and speculation, I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, yet. Wink

Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk comments on reports about Pope
Benedict XVI’s retirement:

Reports about the retirement of Pope Benedict XVI have proved to be unexpected even for his closest associates. Cardinal Sodano described it as ‘a thunder out of a clear sky’. Really, there have been no precedents of this kind in the modern history of the Roman Catholic Church. Pope John Paul II remained in office to the end despite his serious health problems.

Meanwhile, the office of the Roman Pontiff, just as that of any head of a Church, presupposes active work. It is not a ceremonial office. If one’s age and health prove to be an obstacle for effective work, the head of a Church may decide to retire. In recent years, the Catholic Church has come to face very serious challenges which require new incentives to come from the See of Rome. Perhaps, precisely this has made the pope to give way to a younger and more dynamic prelate to be elected by the conclave of cardinals. The Pope Benedict XVI’s decision to leave his office in the present situation may be seen as an act of personal courage and humbleness.
Full article here: http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/59407.htm

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Balthasar
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #238 on: February 12, 2013, 10:40:38 AM »

You mean, the Mussolini who has been praised by the former Italian PM, Berlusconi as "good leader"?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/28/world/europe/berlusconi-praises-mussolini-as-good-leader.html?_r=0

TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #239 on: February 12, 2013, 10:41:18 AM »

When he eventually dies, will he be given the burial fitting of a pope, or reflecting his state at this death?

SCREW BON JOVI!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #240 on: February 12, 2013, 10:42:56 AM »

Balthazar- So what?

What does Berlusconi have to do with the Second World War?

Again, Mussolini is dead and the war is over. What are you talking about?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 10:43:39 AM by biro » Logged

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #241 on: February 12, 2013, 10:46:12 AM »

When he eventually dies, will he be given the burial fitting of a pope, or reflecting his state at this death?
The former, I suspect and hope.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #242 on: February 12, 2013, 10:47:11 AM »

You mean, the Mussolini who has been praised by the former Italian PM, Berlusconi as "good leader"?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/28/world/europe/berlusconi-praises-mussolini-as-good-leader.html?_r=0

I must confess, I fail to see your point.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #243 on: February 12, 2013, 10:50:32 AM »

I must confess, I fail to see your point.

This, perhaps?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #244 on: February 12, 2013, 10:55:31 AM »

I'd like to see a pope come from an Arab land like Lebanon, Palestine, Syria, or such places. 

I wonder how the Russian Orthodox Church would feel if His Beatitude Sviatoslav of the Ukrainian Catholics become Pope.

Wouldn't happen for several reasons, but if it did, it still wouldn't happen due to many interesting forms of highly radioactive isotopes.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #245 on: February 12, 2013, 10:56:56 AM »

I'd like to see a pope come from an Arab land like Lebanon, Palestine, Syria, or such places. 

I wonder how the Russian Orthodox Church would feel if His Beatitude Sviatoslav of the Ukrainian Catholics become Pope.

Wouldn't happen for several reasons, but if it did, it still wouldn't happen due to many interesting forms of highly radioactive isotopes.

So, what you're saying is, even if it did happen it wouldn't happen?   Grin Grin

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #246 on: February 12, 2013, 10:57:19 AM »

And he was castigated by the Italian media (and people) for his comment.

He's also awaiting trial for schtupping an underage stripper.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #247 on: February 12, 2013, 10:59:23 AM »

they haven't elected a bishop of Rome for some time.  It's been an election for "supreme pontiff," in which Italy is just another province.

No, he is not.
According to the Sacred Canons of the Orthodox Church and the Statute of the Romanian Orthodox Patriarchate, yes, he is.

I'm not even going to argue your semantics game, but that diocese has always just been that, a diocese, not an archdiocese.
Not according to the Acts of the Ecumenical Councils, and the Orthodox practice of the Catholic Church.
(And to argue your point, that is the Metropolitian of Italy, not Rome)
According to the Sacred Canons of the Orthodox Church and the Statute of the Romanian Orthodox Patriarchate, no, he is not.

age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #248 on: February 12, 2013, 11:00:47 AM »

OK so:

Statement by His All-Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew
At the Announcement of the Retirement of Benedict XVI, Pope of Rome
(February 11, 2013)

It is with regret that we have learned of the decision by His Holiness Pope Benedict to retire from his Throne, because with his wisdom and experience he could have provided much more to the Church and the world.

(...)

From the Phanar, we pray that the Lord will manifest his worthy successor as the head of the sister Church of Rome, and that we may also continue with this successor on our common journey toward the unity of all unto the glory of God.

Not sure what to make of the part in bold. That's not precisely how I would choose to word it. I mean, we can be respectful and wish him well, but this is a bit too much IMO.

link: http://www.goarch.org/news/epbartholomew-benedict-02112013

post editted for our copyright policy - MK
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 11:47:27 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #249 on: February 12, 2013, 11:03:25 AM »

The former, I suspect and hope.
Someone with a degree in their canon law said it would be the former.  After all, at the funeral, they are are all former popes, whether they died in office or not.  Perhaps symbolic of that, they used to make it official that the pope had died by hitting him on the head with a silver hammer and calling his baptismal-not regnal-name.  If he didn't answer after the third knock, the see officially became sede vacante.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #250 on: February 12, 2013, 11:04:02 AM »

OK so:

(February 11, 2013)

It is with regret that we have learned of the decision by His Holiness Pope Benedict to retire from his Throne, because with his wisdom and experience he could have provided much more to the Church and the world.

(...)

From the Phanar, we pray that the Lord will manifest his worthy successor as the head of the sister Church of Rome, and that we may also continue with this successor on our common journey toward the unity of all unto the glory of God.

Not sure what to make of the part in bold. That's not precisely how I would choose to word it. I mean, we can be respectful and wish him well, but this is a bit too much IMO.

Maybe that's why you're not the Patriarch and His All-Holiness Bartholomew is  Grin.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 11:49:10 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #251 on: February 12, 2013, 11:14:21 AM »

OK so:

(February 11, 2013)

(...)

Where did you copy that from?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 11:49:49 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #252 on: February 12, 2013, 11:15:19 AM »

According to the Sacred Canons of the Orthodox Church and the Statute of the Romanian Orthodox Patriarchate, yes, he is.

We were discussing that a few times and every time you failed to prove your claims.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #253 on: February 12, 2013, 11:21:00 AM »

OK so:

(February 11, 2013)

(...)

Where did you copy that from?

An email sent from the GOARCH press office to their email subscribers.

[edit] link: http://www.goarch.org/news/epbartholomew-benedict-02112013
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 11:50:17 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #254 on: February 12, 2013, 11:21:53 AM »

We were discussing that a few times and every time you failed to prove your claims.
I posted the relevant Canons, Constitution, and Statute.  Their claims speak for themselves. And us.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #255 on: February 12, 2013, 11:23:19 AM »

He never visited Ethiopia, but he sent his Portuguese henchmen to make converts.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #256 on: February 12, 2013, 11:38:32 AM »

He never visited Ethiopia, but he sent his Portuguese henchmen to make converts.
Yes, but that wasn't my point. I just don't understand, why he had to make a post that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

-St Silouan the athonite
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #257 on: February 12, 2013, 11:44:52 AM »

Yes, but that wasn't my point. I just don't understand, why he had to make a post that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

Hey, it was *bound* to happen eventually  angel

Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #258 on: February 12, 2013, 11:47:15 AM »

I hope Pope Benedict will write a more in-depth book on the Church Fathers than the one that he already wrote about the subject now that he has some free time. I liked the first one but would like to see a bigger one.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 11:47:35 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #259 on: February 12, 2013, 11:51:25 AM »

An email sent from the GOARCH press office to their email subscribers.

[edit] link: http://www.goarch.org/news/epbartholomew-benedict-02112013

Thank you. I ask you to observe our copyright policy next time.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #260 on: February 12, 2013, 11:59:54 AM »

I posted the relevant Canons, Constitution, and Statute.  Their claims speak for themselves. And us.

Apparently, you are mistaken.

" His Grace SILUAN ŞPAN, Bishop of the Romanian Orthodox Diocese for Italy"

"Preasfintitul Părinte SILUAN, Episcopul Ortodox Român al Italiei "

http://www.patriarhia.ro/en/roc_structure/mseuropesynod.html

http://www.patriarhia.ro/ro/structura_bor/mitr_meridionale.html
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 12:01:00 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #261 on: February 12, 2013, 12:01:31 PM »

Does the Pope's resignation reflect a more Western, CEO model of ministry, as compared to the Orthodox, more 'fatherly', model of ministry?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #262 on: February 12, 2013, 12:04:14 PM »

I don't know. It's rare for that to happen here.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #263 on: February 12, 2013, 12:07:28 PM »

Does the Pope's resignation reflect a more Western, CEO model of ministry, as compared to the Orthodox, more 'fatherly', model of ministry?

Why would it?

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #264 on: February 12, 2013, 12:08:20 PM »

Why would it?
Because then that would reflect badly on Catholics, which is always a good thing.  Grin
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 12:08:31 PM by Papist » Logged

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #265 on: February 12, 2013, 12:13:45 PM »

Not the resignation itself.

Besides, there must be plenty of Eastern Orthodox patriarchs who have resigned.

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #266 on: February 12, 2013, 12:14:30 PM »

Why would it?
In other words, does Orthodoxy see it as part of its tradition, the idea that patriarchs or bishops can resign voluntarily?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #267 on: February 12, 2013, 12:18:14 PM »

Why would it?
In other words, does Orthodoxy see it as part of its tradition, the idea that patriarchs or bishops can resign voluntarily?

They can and did.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #268 on: February 12, 2013, 12:20:23 PM »

Why would it?

They can and did.

Anyone in particular come to mind?

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #269 on: February 12, 2013, 12:23:17 PM »

Why would it?

They can and did.

Anyone in particular come to mind?

Metropolitan Jonah? To name the most recent one...

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: