OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 04:39:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SVOTS-University of Bucharest Agreement  (Read 785 times) Average Rating: 0
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: March 04, 2013, 02:02:31 PM »

"Seminary Dean Signs Cooperative Agreement with Faculty of Orthodox Theology in Romania
24–25 February 2013

At the invitation of His Eminence Nicolae, archbishop of the Romanian Orthodox Archdiocese in the Americas, The Very Rev. Dr. John Behr, dean of St. Vladimir's Seminary (SVOTS) traveled to Bucharest to sign a cooperative agreement between SVOTS and the Faculty of Orthodox Theology, University of Bucharest. His visit, blessed by His Beatitude Daniel, archbishop of Bucharest, metropolitan of Muntenia and Dobrudgea, locum tenens of the throne of Caesarea of Cappadocia, patriarch of Romania, began on the Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee when he celebrated the Divine Liturgy in the Patriarchal Cathedral of Ss. Constantine and Helen."

Read the rest at http://www.svots.edu/headlines/dean-behr-signs-cooperative-agreement-faculty-orthodox-theology-romania

This is part of SVOTS Strategic Plan to establish an International Center of Orthodox Christian Studies, and the second cooperative agreement. For the details of the first agreement with the University of Belgrade see
http://www.svots.edu/headlines/serbian-house-studies-be-founded-st-vladimir%E2%80%99s-seminary%20

The framework for the St Nicholai of Ohrid and Zicha and St Iustin of Chelije Serbian House of Studies at SVOTS may be read at http://www.svots.edu/sites/default/files/agreement_with_serbians.pdf

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 12:59:37 AM »

How is that bishop the Locum Tenens of Cappadocia?! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 01:06:13 AM »

How is that bishop the Locum Tenens of Cappadocia?! 
Since the 18th century or so when the occupants of that see, then part of the patriarchate of C-ple, bought it from the Phanar.
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 01:25:17 AM »

yah that's what i'm beginning to read from the internet.  Although I came accross another article that was saying that this transfer of titles was part of the reason why Romanians really consider themselves "romans". 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 01:30:56 AM »

yah that's what i'm beginning to read from the internet.  Although I came accross another article that was saying that this transfer of titles was part of the reason why Romanians really consider themselves "romans". 
Wher did you read that? Transfer of what titles? The Caesarea one? That doesn't even enter the equation. The only reason to claim a link to the Roman world is the neo- Latin language they speak. And that has been noticed ever since the first Italian travelers crossed the territories inhabited by Romanians in the 16th century.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 02:06:43 AM »

yah that's what i'm beginning to read from the internet.  Although I came accross another article that was saying that this transfer of titles was part of the reason why Romanians really consider themselves "romans".  
Holy Constantine and Justinian may have been born in present day Serbia, Father, but they were Romanians.

If it was a matter of title of Caesarea of Cappadocia, they would consider themselves Greeks and Armenians.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 02:06:58 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Napoletani

Faith: Romanian Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 07:41:34 AM »

yah that's what i'm beginning to read from the internet.  Although I came accross another article that was saying that this transfer of titles was part of the reason why Romanians really consider themselves "romans".  
Holy Constantine and Justinian may have been born in present day Serbia, Father, but they were Romanians.

If it was a matter of title of Caesarea of Cappadocia, they would consider themselves Greeks and Armenians.

Also we should notice that in the Strategikon of Kekaumenos in the 11th century, it is claimed that vlachs descend from the romans, and came from north Serbia unto Thessaly in Greece:

http://books.google.fr/books?id=SK7Yy6KAUCYC&pg=PA82&lpg=PA82&dq=Strategikon+Kekaumenos+vlachs&source=bl&ots=jdK1QildYQ&sig=93RaqKYS25esDqdLGYYTgRHRnBs&hl=fr&sa=X&ei=bdk1UeuTJsmNOP-sgIAF&ved=0CGIQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=Strategikon%20Kekaumenos%20vlachs&f=false

It also mentions that they are said to have come long time ago from italy(because of the latin language they spoke, and we romanians still speak a latin language today).

Also one can read the study from Banescu in french, "I. Autour de Kekaumenos.":
http://www.persee.fr/web/revues/home/prescript/article/rebyz_0766-5598_1948_num_6_1_981

So Romanians(i include also aromanians in it) can legitimately claim a link with St Justinian or st Constantin. Not in the sense of modern state Romania,  but in the sense of a continuous latin speaking people in Eastern Europe. Just like st John Cassian is sometimes called the roman, sometimes the romanian.

Romania,striga tare sa te aud
Romania,noi suntem Leii din Sud
Si din mormant voi striga,Stiinta e echipa mea
De te nasti aici si cresti,ramai Anti'Bucuresti
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 08:53:09 AM »

I think that is fascinating. Only among the Orthodox though could such a topic arouse passion, anger and resentment though.  Wink
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 09:43:49 AM »

I think that is fascinating. Only among the Orthodox though could such a topic arouse passion, anger and resentment though.  Wink

Chuckle. Well, similar arguments over similar topics abound on the history forum of which I am a member. Some topics are just that way; Orthodox or not, when nationality images/claims come into play, most reason departs.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 10:50:45 AM »

Wher did you read that? Transfer of what titles? The Caesarea one? That doesn't even enter the equation. The only reason to claim a link to the Roman world is the neo- Latin language they speak. And that has been noticed ever since the first Italian travelers crossed the territories inhabited by Romanians in the 16th century.

I should have linked it yesterday, I've lost my history on my browser so I can't go back & figure it out.  Sorry!

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Napoletani

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 08:34:05 AM »

It has been noticed well before that in the 11th century by Kekaumenos, cf my earlier post.

Virtual Paradise
Moderated

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 12:20:26 PM »

God knows Romania could use better theological and catechetical schools. I believe Romanian Orthodoxy is split between two extremes: Romanised(from RCC) and extremist, triumphalist, Romophob and Reformophob. I saw Rev. Dr John Bear on Trinitas Tv and I really liked him.  He looks like an equilibrated, schooled,down to earth and kind man. His answers were really equilibrated even if some of them made the moderator clench his nose.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:32:39 PM by Virtual Paradise » Logged
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 12:39:49 PM »

God knows Romania could use better theological and catechetical schools. I believe Romanian Orthodoxy is split between two extremes: Romanised(from RCC) and extremist, triumphalist, Romophob and Reformophob. I saw Rev. Dr John Bear on Trinitas Tv and I really liked him.  He looks like an equilibrated, schooled,down to earth and kind man. His answers were really equilibrated even if some of them made the moderator clench his nose.

Your belief in no way matches my experience of over a decade in the Romanian church, plus half a decade's experience of looking in from the outside prior. The Romanian bishops, priests and monks I've known have been some of the most genuine and devout Orthodox Christians I have ever met and the supposed Roman Catholic influences that people often spout about are almost always overblown when they even exist at all, whether we're talking of lay folk or clergy. Of course there are some extremists (on both ends of the spectrum) but the vast majority are anything but - much like those in every other Orthodox church so far as I can tell. On what do you base your opinion exactly?

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 12:57:26 PM »

There is a need for reform?

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Virtual Paradise
Moderated

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 01:11:07 PM »

Your belief in no way matches my experience of over a decade in the Romanian church, plus half a decade's experience of looking in from the outside prior. The Romanian bishops, priests and monks I've known have been some of the most genuine and devout Orthodox Christians I have ever met and the supposed Roman Catholic influences that people often spout about are almost always overblown when they even exist at all, whether we're talking of lay folk or clergy. Of course there are some extremists (on both ends of the spectrum) but the vast majority are anything but - much like those in every other Orthodox church so far as I can tell. On what do you base your opinion exactly?

James

I think the vast majority of practicant Romanian Orthodox are extremists and triumphalists, esspecially those who finish Theological Schools. Those are Romophob and Reformophob demonizing absolutely everything that has to do with those two branches of Christianity. Other laymen are ignorant and Romanised(even in areas where Romanism, eastern catholicism did not theoretically reach, like Moldova). They can't make the difference between Original Sin and Ancestral Sin, they believe in Penal Atonement, and others as such. My opinion is that the minority are genuine Orthodox Christians, and often persecuted by the extremists.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 01:12:07 PM by Virtual Paradise » Logged
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 03:03:39 PM »

i have to agree to a point with virtual paradise, as i have met quite a few 'orthodox' romanians who are not sure if they believe in the existence of God, not to mention everything else that is not orthodox about their beliefs.
but there is change on the way, i believe.

jmbejdl's friends and other devout romanian orthodox Christians are praying for and working for change in the direction of strong belief and kind behaviour towards outsiders.
i realise my view point is skewed, as most of my romanian friends are protestants ('sectarians' / 'unbelievers' according to many orthodox Christians). they, similarly label the orthodox as 'pagan' and 'idol worshippers'.
i take care to correct both of these views whenever i can (i would like to label them 'extreme', but think 'common' is a more accurate adjective).
but i do have orthodox friends who are not so prejucided, and a protestant pastor friend who has a masters degree in theology from an orthodox seminary.

may God's love fill all the romanian churches and shine the light of orthodox Christianity everywhere.
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 04:19:19 AM »

James

I think the vast majority of practicant Romanian Orthodox are extremists and triumphalists, esspecially those who finish Theological Schools. Those are Romophob and Reformophob demonizing absolutely everything that has to do with those two branches of Christianity. Other laymen are ignorant and Romanised(even in areas where Romanism, eastern catholicism did not theoretically reach, like Moldova). They can't make the difference between Original Sin and Ancestral Sin, they believe in Penal Atonement, and others as such. My opinion is that the minority are genuine Orthodox Christians, and often persecuted by the extremists.

Well your experience, if indeed it is actually experience, is very different to mine. If what you said were true, I'd never have become Orthodox at all as I pretty much owe my enquiry into Orthodoxy to the shining example shown by Orthodox Christians in Bucovina, in particular one monk in Suceava. Since then I've been blessed to know two absolutely wonderful priests in the UK, to be married by one in Romania and have met truly inspiring bishops in Bishop Ignatie and Metropolitan Iosif. Both the parishes I've worshipped in in the UK have been full to bursting every Sunday with genuine Orthodox Christians (with their faults, it's true, as we all do) and the same is true of the parishes in Romania, though I'm there far less often. It's true the people could use better catechism (then we could avoid people having sacred heart paintings and the like) but this is true of Orthodox in every local church so far as I can see, but the 'Roman influence' nonsense is almost always overblown. As for your view of those who have been to theological school being extremists, I've yet to come across a single one in almost 20 years and across two countries who could be fairly described by what you have said. Of course our priests will say that Rome and the Protestants are wrong (if they didn't think that they shouldn't be Orthodox) but that's a far cry from the bigotry you are claiming.

James
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 04:20:48 AM by jmbejdl » Logged

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Napoletani

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 04:30:50 AM »

James

Well your experience, if indeed it is actually experience, is very different to mine. If what you said were true, I'd never have become Orthodox at all as I pretty much owe my enquiry into Orthodoxy to the shining example shown by Orthodox Christians in Bucovina, in particular one monk in Suceava. Since then I've been blessed to know two absolutely wonderful priests in the UK, to be married by one in Romania and have met truly inspiring bishops in Bishop Ignatie and Metropolitan Iosif. Both the parishes I've worshipped in in the UK have been full to bursting every Sunday with genuine Orthodox Christians (with their faults, it's true, as we all do) and the same is true of the parishes in Romania, though I'm there far less often. It's true the people could use better catechism (then we could avoid people having sacred heart paintings and the like) but this is true of Orthodox in every local church so far as I can see, but the 'Roman influence' nonsense is almost always overblown. As for your view of those who have been to theological school being extremists, I've yet to come across a single one in almost 20 years and across two countries who could be fairly described by what you have said. Of course our priests will say that Rome and the Protestants are wrong (if they didn't think that they shouldn't be Orthodox) but that's a far cry from the bigotry you are claiming.

James

Soon virtual will also tell us that Dumitru Staniloae was an extremist, with a Bible in one hand, and a sword in the other.

jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 04:51:43 AM »

James

James

Soon virtual will also tell us that Dumitru Staniloae was an extremist, with a Bible in one hand, and a sword in the other.

He sounds to me rather like some of the ex-Orthodox neo-Protestants I've met in Romania. I've no idea if he is, but rabidly anti-Orthodox proclamations of bigotry and extremism seem to be par for the course for that type. Being an ex-Protestant who came the other way and feels no particular urge to vilify my previous co-religionists (I think they are wrong of course, but there's no need for insult and calumny) I don't really have much time for that attitude.

James
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:52:04 AM by jmbejdl » Logged

Napoletani

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 06:42:49 AM »

James

James

He sounds to me rather like some of the ex-Orthodox neo-Protestants I've met in Romania. I've no idea if he is, but rabidly anti-Orthodox proclamations of bigotry and extremism seem to be par for the course for that type. Being an ex-Protestant who came the other way and feels no particular urge to vilify my previous co-religionists (I think they are wrong of course, but there's no need for insult and calumny) I don't really have much time for that attitude.

James

We romanian Orthodox are modern draculas, during the liturgy, we become vampires and then we suck the blood of every roman catholic or protestant around.  Grin

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: