OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 02:19:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris Haw tells his story From Willow Creek to ...  (Read 381 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: February 10, 2013, 06:33:30 PM »

Chris Haw returned to his ancestral Catholicism, after spending time at Willow Creek, a nondenominational Protestant church, but his comments are also helpful in regards to Orthodoxy:

"I’m now encouraging people to learn more about Christian history and traditions. When we do, we question that Willow Creek could be “nondenominational.” I have come to realize there is no such thing as nondenominationalism, no matter what Willow Creek and others may claim. Willow Creek reaches out to people who are sick of the traditions and hierarchies that they have seen around them. But it’s a mistake to think that we can escape into some sort of neutral Christian philosophy. Willow Creek claims that’s what they’re giving people: a nondenominational Christianity. But it’s really evangelical Protestant Christianity posing as neutrality."

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 06:38:19 PM »

Yep. I got the same type of response when I was a Protestant and went to a college affiliated with my group. The official stance was that we were not a denomination, but rather a "movement" (and they predated the whole non-denominationalism stuff by quite a while, I think).  But the professors there pretty much called that bull and admitted that, yeah, we were a denomination, why not just admit it.

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 07:46:13 PM »

Is this the same Chris Haw who co-wrote Jesus for President?

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »

Yep. I got the same type of response when I was a Protestant and went to a college affiliated with my group. The official stance was that we were not a denomination, but rather a "movement" (and they predated the whole non-denominationalism stuff by quite a while, I think).  But the professors there pretty much called that bull and admitted that, yeah, we were a denomination, why not just admit it.

"What denomination are you?"
"Oh, I'm Baptist."

"What denomination are you?"
"Oh, I'm non-denominational."

Seriously, I have seen forms that ask you what denomination you are and one of the options is non-denominational (thinking the form when you get dog tags in the Army). So essentially anybody filling the form out was admitting that their denomination is non-denominational... just saying
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 08:09:17 PM by dcommini » Logged

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Deep Roots
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Catholic

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 08:17:16 PM »

Is this the same Chris Haw who co-wrote Jesus for President?
yes, with Shane Claiborne.

Peace.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: