OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 04:28:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Don't Get Poetry  (Read 1611 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: February 10, 2013, 05:59:56 PM »

What's the purpose of poetry? I honestly just don't get it at all. I've been studying it so much for English right now and it does nothing but put me to sleep and bore me. There are no polemics or deep rationalist elements that I could examine, but it just seems like boring emotionalism and feelings and all that crap. My teacher got me all worked up for nothing, announcing to me that we would soon be studying the Moderns, and I got all excited thinking that maybe there would finally be something intellectual and polemic in the Moderns, opposed to the boring over-religious emotionalism I found in the Puritanical American poetry that came before it. But guess what? I got NONE of that! It was the same boring emotionalism that I found in all poetry, only difference was that this time it was over-educated men complaining about their first-world emotional downs. What gives? Where are the staunch criticisms and polemics that I find in Nietzsche? (my favorite author) It's boring and I hate poetry. I don't get the point of it. I don't even pay attention to my own emotions, why am I going to pay attention to some dead guys' emotions?

/rant

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 06:05:36 PM »

A soft whispering voice
echoes in the mind
of James
R.
What then can he say?
Poetry does not touch
his
soul.
Banana.

Large Marge sent me...
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 06:11:49 PM »

For me, I only ever truly enjoyed things like poetry, plays, art, and literature when I pursued them on my own terms. Of course, I only agreed things were a great artistic piece when I thought so, not because someone insisted it.

Best advice I think it to try and enjoy the exposure to something you would otherwise not pursue. You might find an interest in something you would otherwise not discover.

I'm going to need this.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 06:13:42 PM »

Not all poetry is of the same worth or caliber. And the study of it can be subjective, as with all literature. However, the good stuff is just story in another form. If you have not read a lot of classic literature, it might be worth putting down the Nietzsche (after all, he may be even more dead than the poets) and pick up Dickens, Dostoyevsky, Flannery O'Connor, Steinbeck, Hemingway, Dumas, Hugo, Bradbury, etc.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 06:15:55 PM »

Fwiw I enjoy very few poets. I've tried reading anthologies and collections and such, and I can count on one hand the poets that I've liked some stuff by... John Greenleaf Whittier, Paul Laurence Dunbar, maybe a couple others. It's like with anything having to do with art, you'll probably have to sift through a lot before you find a gem you like. Especially if you're picky. But when you find someone you like, it's like finding that perfect album of music or something, it just feels great--and it feels all the better because it took some effort finding it.

Large Marge sent me...
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 06:19:24 PM »

Poetry is like reverse meditation to me.  You take all the emotions you have, all the things that interest you, all the things that bother you, all that is going on around you, the mundane and the exciting, and you sum it up into a few words.

Poetry is packing up,
Later it is unraveled.
Every fold,
Every neat nook,
Every compartment,
All for the soul to search,
For the mind to bask.
Sometimes,
Some things
Are hard to find,
And other things
You do find,
Yet hard to grasp.

(I suck at poetry...but I like it)

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 06:20:05 PM »

Try finding poetry that speaks to a topic that interests you.

For example, I've found war poetry and stream-of-consciousness poetry the most interesting.

Here is an example:
Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares(2) we turned our backs
And towards our distant rest(3) began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots(4)  
Of tired, outstripped(5) Five-Nines(6) that dropped behind.
Gas!(7) Gas! Quick, boys! – An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets(Cool just in time;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling,
And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime(9) . . .
Dim, through the misty panes(10) and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering,(11) choking, drowning.
If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud(12)  
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest(13)  
To children ardent(14) for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
Pro patria mori.(15)

Wilfred Owen
8 October 1917 - March, 1918

This is about mustard gas attacks in WWI.

I'm going to need this.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 06:20:23 PM »

A soft whispering voice
echoes in the mind
of James
R.
What then can he say?
Poetry does not touch
his
soul.
Banana.

Genius springs from the
wise mind of Asteriktos.
Who hath ears to hear?

The poet can see
what the philosopher can't--
his page is too small

Emotion, story
the experience of life
fit into few words--

To teach, enlighten,
commiserate, liberate
the poem's reader

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 06:21:14 PM »

Poetry doesn't get
you /
either

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 06:23:18 PM »

Poetry that aims to be "lofty" is often the kind that isn't very good. Try finding some poetry about the minutiae of life, which is where all of the beauty is anyway.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 06:24:16 PM »

One of my favorite poems is "Hangover," by Billy Collins.

Hangover

If I were crowned emperor this morning,
every child who is playing Marco Polo
in the swimming pool of this motel,
shouting the name Marco Polo back and forth

Marco     Polo     Marco     Polo

would be required to read a biography
of Marco Polo - a long one with fine print-
as well as a history of China and of Venice,
the birthplace of the venerated explorer

after which each child would be quizzed
by me then executed by drowning
regardless how much they managed
to retain about the glorious life and times of

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 06:24:33 PM »

It's true that much of what has been passed down as ideal poetry is not that great, especially what gets crammed down the throats of high school students. Textbooks tend to select the most banal works of even the good poets students read. I think you might enjoy the postwar (WWI, that is) moderns, though -- they often echo themes that your posts here follow.

If you're looking for rationalism, though, I'm not sure poetry is ever going to be your thing. One need not be emotional (whatever that means) to understand that some concepts can't be expressed rationally.

But Re: the title of this post — as much as you talk about Tupac, of course you don’t get poetry. ;-)

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 06:25:40 PM »

andriu that's one of my favorites " Dulce et Decorum est Pro patria mori."

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 06:29:50 PM »

Poetry that aims to be "lofty" is often the kind that isn't very good. Try finding some poetry about the minutiae of life, which is where all of the beauty is anyway.

such as this one..

Auguries of Innocence
BY WILLIAM BLAKE

To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 06:30:26 PM »

Here's an example of a poem I enjoyed (I posted an excerpt elsewhere), fwiw... What the Birds Said

Large Marge sent me...
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 06:32:39 PM »

Where are the staunch criticisms and polemics that I find in Nietzsche? (my favorite author)

Nietzsche wrote poetry.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 06:33:38 PM »

http://www.poemhunter.com

Great site for the best poetry written

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 06:35:24 PM »

I think you might enjoy the postwar (WWI, that is) moderns, though -- they often echo themes that your posts here follow.

Can you recommend me a few?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 06:44:40 PM »

Sometimes poetry tells a story like "The Highwayman" by Noyes.

Or it can describe a complicated situation in images such as "Do not go gentle into that good night" by Dylan Thomas, which has more power than "Don't just give up and die".  

Song lyrics can be poetry or a form of it.  Do you like to listen to songs?

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth/ And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings" ("High Flight" by Magee) gives a different idea of flying than, for example, "I took off in a plane and liked flying".

or even just giving an image of a simple situation, with no "emotionalism" such as one of Basho's most famous:

The old pond —
A frog leaps in,
And a splash.  -translated by Makoto Ueda

(There are many different translations of this)

Some like a lot of Ogden Nash's were humourous.
"Celery, raw
Develops the jaw,
But celery, stewed,
Is more quietly chewed."

There are lots of sorts of poetry and probably there's no-one who likes all of it.  That's OK

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 06:49:43 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 06:45:58 PM »

There's always the Norse sagas. Short, punchy phrases, not too flowery. War and old cultures and exciting stuff. I like the Italian and Greek poets, too. The old heroes of legend got into a lot of trouble...

If all else fails, not everybody likes everything. They teach about it because it has been around for a long time and it is a highly specialized way of using language and imagery. Once you're done with school, maybe don't read it anymore.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 06:49:49 PM »

There are no polemics or deep rationalist elements that I could examine, but it just seems like boring emotionalism and feelings and all that crap.

I think this is your main problem. Try and look at poetry as paintings, just with words. Very often, they are exactly what you say, reflections of peoples thoughts and emotions.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 06:52:10 PM »

There's always the Norse sagas. Short, punchy phrases, not too flowery. War and old cultures and exciting stuff. I like the Italian and Greek poets, too. The old heroes of legend got into a lot of trouble...

If all else fails, not everybody likes everything. They teach about it because it has been around for a long time and it is a highly specialized way of using language and imagery. Once you're done with school, maybe don't read it anymore.

At least you'll know that it exists.  For our children we believe that it's our task to introduce them to as much of the world/universe as possible so that they can find subjects and things that they like/enjoy/are interested it. 

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Symeon77

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

'with fear and trembling work out your salvation.'

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »

I think you might enjoy the postwar (WWI, that is) moderns, though -- they often echo themes that your posts here follow.

I used to feel about the same way as you did when I was around your age, but it was really a question of what I was exposed to, and to a great extent, also the context; High school literature classes made everything seem dreadfully boring, even authors whom I have come to cherish subsequently. I'm not sure what they are exposing you to in your high school that is so off-putting, but I would be quite surprised if you didn't get something out of Gerard Manley Hopkins, T.S. Eliot, W.B. Yeats, R.S. Thomas, David Jones, Robinson Jeffers, to mention but a few, and sticking to those who composed in English.

I'm sure there are resources on-line for you to test the waters a bit.

Where Christianity disappears, greed, envy, and lust invent a thousand ideologies to justify themselves.~ Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Abba Anthony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek *and* Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 07:13:54 PM »

A sound investment.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 11:40:11 AM »

I have no use for poetry that doesn't rhyme or isn't raunchy.

Catullus = Good
Martial = Gangsta

Chastushki in general = Win

Oh, and if your poetry involves a man from Nantuckett...lulz.

Limericks are awesome.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 12:07:07 PM »

Limericks are awesome.

As are epigrams.

On my boat on Lake Cayuga
I have a horn that goes "Ay-oogah!"
I'm not the sort of modern creep
Who has a horn that goes "beep-beep."
--William Cole (1912-1992)

Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:07:30 PM by Arachne » Logged

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 12:10:06 PM »

Limericks are awesome.

As are epigrams.

Cheesy

That's some true poetic artistry right there!

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 12:12:16 PM »

What's the purpose of poetry? I honestly just don't get it at all. I've been studying it so much for English right now and it does nothing but put me to sleep and bore me. There are no polemics or deep rationalist elements that I could examine, but it just seems like boring emotionalism and feelings and all that crap. My teacher got me all worked up for nothing, announcing to me that we would soon be studying the Moderns, and I got all excited thinking that maybe there would finally be something intellectual and polemic in the Moderns, opposed to the boring over-religious emotionalism I found in the Puritanical American poetry that came before it. But guess what? I got NONE of that! It was the same boring emotionalism that I found in all poetry, only difference was that this time it was over-educated men complaining about their first-world emotional downs. What gives? Where are the staunch criticisms and polemics that I find in Nietzsche? (my favorite author) It's boring and I hate poetry. I don't get the point of it. I don't even pay attention to my own emotions, why am I going to pay attention to some dead guys' emotions?

/rant

Do you "get" music at all?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 12:15:30 PM »

Limericks are awesome.

As are epigrams.

Cheesy

That's some true poetic artistry right there!

My favourite poem of all time, though, remains Dorothy Parker's 'Résumé':

Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.

police

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2013, 12:16:28 PM »

/rant

You need good poets. Sappho, Anacreon, Homer, Horace, Cavafy etc.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2013, 12:26:11 PM »

/rant

Cavafy would make him squirm, and no mistake. laugh

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2013, 12:45:56 PM »

At least he can't complain about puritanism  Wink
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:46:36 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2013, 12:49:38 PM »

Perhaps Catullus would be more to his liking.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2013, 12:52:01 PM »

Give me a thousand kisses, then a hundred.
Then, another thousand, and a second hundred.
Then, yet another thousand, and a hundred.

Smiley
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:52:15 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2013, 01:05:23 PM »

Give me a thousand kisses, then a hundred.
Then, another thousand, and a second hundred.
Then, yet another thousand, and a hundred.

Smiley

But no Ovid. That poor blow-up doll... Tongue

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2013, 01:07:43 PM »

But no Ovid. That poor blow-up doll... Tongue

I suspect James might need some of his Ars Amatoria though  Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 01:08:19 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2013, 01:25:45 PM »

Where would Hallmark be.....
              .....without poetry?

Cheesy  I'm a poet!!!!

He searched near an far,
This man named JamesR;
To find a melodic verse,
In which his soul to immerse.

Alas, when nought was found,
His body, did fall to the ground;
And fearing he had lost the fight,
He did close his eyes for the night.

Suddenly he awoke to thunder,
Amazed and filled with wonder;
He blinked and gazed all around,
And spotted a book on the ground.

What he found was like a balm,
Bringing peace to his soul, and calm;
A book layeth in the moonlight
A wondrous answer to his plight.

As he read it under the swaying palm,
He noted it was titled simply Psalm;
The words within trickled like a brook,
And he knew he had found his poetry book.

Psalm 42:  As the hart panteth after the water brooks, So panteth my soul after thee, O God.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2013, 02:26:11 PM »

My favorite, Gunga Din by Kipling.  My favorite course in High School was British Literature.

Title:     Gunga Din
Author: Rudyard Kipling

You may talk o' gin and beer
When you're quartered safe out 'ere,
An' you're sent to penny-fights an' Aldershot it;
But when it comes to slaughter
You will do your work on water,
An' you'll lick the bloomin' boots of 'im that's got it.
Now in Injia's sunny clime,
Where I used to spend my time
A-servin' of 'Er Majesty the Queen,
Of all them blackfaced crew
The finest man I knew
Was our regimental bhisti, Gunga Din.
He was "Din! Din! Din!
You limpin' lump o' brick-dust, Gunga Din!
Hi! slippery hitherao!
Water, get it! Panee lao!
You squidgy-nosed old idol, Gunga Din."

The uniform 'e wore
Was nothin' much before,
An' rather less than 'arf o' that be'ind,
For a piece o' twisty rag
An' a goatskin water-bag
Was all the field-equipment 'e could find.
When the sweatin' troop-train lay
In a sidin' through the day,
Where the 'eat would make your bloomin' eyebrows crawl,
We shouted "Harry By!"
Till our throats were bricky-dry,
Then we wopped 'im 'cause 'e couldn't serve us all.
It was "Din! Din! Din!
You 'eathen, where the mischief 'ave you been?
You put some juldee in it
Or I'll marrow you this minute
If you don't fill up my helmet, Gunga Din!"

'E would dot an' carry one
Till the longest day was done;
An' 'e didn't seem to know the use o' fear.
If we charged or broke or cut,
You could bet your bloomin' nut,
'E'd be waitin' fifty paces right flank rear.
With 'is mussick on 'is back,
'E would skip with our attack,
An' watch us till the bugles made "Retire",
An' for all 'is dirty 'ide
'E was white, clear white, inside
When 'e went to tend the wounded under fire!
It was "Din! Din! Din!"
With the bullets kickin' dust-spots on the green.
When the cartridges ran out,
You could hear the front-files shout,
"Hi! ammunition-mules an' Gunga Din!"

I shan't forgit the night
When I dropped be'ind the fight
With a bullet where my belt-plate should 'a' been.
I was chokin' mad with thirst,
An' the man that spied me first
Was our good old grinnin', gruntin' Gunga Din.
'E lifted up my 'ead,
An' he plugged me where I bled,
An' 'e guv me 'arf-a-pint o' water-green:
It was crawlin' and it stunk,
But of all the drinks I've drunk,
I'm gratefullest to one from Gunga Din.
It was "Din! Din! Din!
'Ere's a beggar with a bullet through 'is spleen;
'E's chawin' up the ground,
An' 'e's kickin' all around:
For Gawd's sake git the water, Gunga Din!"

'E carried me away
To where a dooli lay,
An' a bullet come an' drilled the beggar clean.
'E put me safe inside,
An' just before 'e died,
"I 'ope you liked your drink", sez Gunga Din.
So I'll meet 'im later on
At the place where 'e is gone --
Where it's always double drill and no canteen;
'E'll be squattin' on the coals
Givin' drink to poor damned souls,
An' I'll get a swig in hell from Gunga Din!
Yes, Din! Din! Din!
You Lazarushian-leather Gunga Din!
Though I've belted you and flayed you,
By the livin' Gawd that made you,
You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2013, 02:49:08 PM »

I love Gunga Din, even though the language is a little difficult.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:49:29 PM by Ansgar » Logged

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2013, 02:53:32 PM »

Nonsense. All the lame poetry is about red wheelbarrows and crap.

JamesR, you are looking for the wrong thing in poetry.  You are basically asking poetry to do the same thing as prose. That's not what poetry is for.

Here's one of my favorite poems. If you don't like this, you don't like ice cream.

THE SONG OF WANDERING AENGUS

by: W.B. Yeats

I WENT out to the hazel wood,
        Because a fire was in my head,
        And cut and peeled a hazel wand,
        And hooked a berry to a thread;

And when white moths were on the wing,
        And moth-like stars were flickering out,
        I dropped the berry in a stream
        And caught a little silver trout.

When I had laid it on the floor
        I went to blow the fire a-flame,
        But something rustled on the floor,
        And some one called me by my name:
        It had become a glimmering girl
        With apple blossom in her hair
        Who called me by my name and ran
        And faded through the brightening air.

Though I am old with wandering
        Through hollow lands and hilly lands,
        I will find out where she has gone,
        And kiss her lips and take her hands;
        And walk among long dappled grass,
        And pluck till time and times are done
        The silver apples of the moon,
        The golden apples of the sun.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2013, 02:56:05 PM »

While we're at it, here's my translation of Baudelaire's "Spleen"

I am like a rainy country’s lord
As impotent as rich, and while a boy,
Too old; who scorns his teachers, and is bored
With dogs and every other beast. No joy
He finds in savage hunts, nor falconry,
Nor dying serfs beneath the balcony.
His favorite jester’s most perverted art
No longer stirs his cruel and sickly heart.
His bed with flowers strewn seems more a tomb;
Nor can the ladies in waiting, to whom
Any prince is fair, enough lewdness don
To wrest a smile from this young skeleton.
Philosophers who make him gold, in vain
Attempt to purify his leaden vein,
And baths of blood, of Rome’s antiquity,
In which kings recline in their senility,
Can’t warm the heart of this impassive corpse
Through which not blood but Lethe waters course.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2013, 03:22:18 PM »

Just today I was thinking about opening a poetry thread.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2013, 03:25:34 PM »

What's the purpose of poetry? I honestly just don't get it at all.
Don't worry. In his old age, Darwin didn't get it either.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Eldo55
LORD HAVE MERCY...

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2013, 12:22:44 PM »

Devastated ... a poem by me

I collapse infront of my doctor,

I wither at the height of Heaven,

I slump when spoken to,

I can no longer cope,

I am defeated.

I need a Light!

A Light so strong it Resurrects the dead!

I seek, I knock, I ask,

The Light is given to me!

Before, I pounded my fists against a wall, I pulled my hair, I ripped my clothes.

After, I gather green plants and flowers, I eat ripe fruit, I listen to the call of birds and I smell the sweet scent of fresh dew.

Before, I was lost,

Now, I am found,

Before, I was dead,

Now, I am alive again.

I cry, but they are tears of prayer,

Whereas once they were tears of despair.

I climb a ladder, a ladder to God,

Others fall at the way side, but I continue, I continue to the top,

The demons still try to drag me down, but I brush them off with delicate ease.

I meet the Light in Person!

Seated at God’s right hand side.

Father and Son!

The Holy Spirit is all around!

He speaks to me!

I am emptied of sin and evil!

My life is His.

…I will never suffer again…

James poetry is great!  It is not just about emotions, but every kind of personal feeling and thought!  It can also be very cathartic and it is enjoyable too to read and write! for me anyway!  Nihilism is dead. God is Alive, has been and always will be!!! Lord Have Mercy...

You fast now and then, but I am never refreshed by any food; you often keep vigil, but I never fall asleep. Only in one thing are you better than I am and I acknowledge that.” Macarius said to him, “What is that?” and he replied, “It is because of your humility alone that I cannot overcome you.”
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2013, 02:15:38 PM »

Ἐρέω τε δηὖτε κοὐκ ἐρέω,                     I love and yet I do not love
καὶ μαίνομαι κοὐ μαίνομαι.                    I am insane and I am not insane

-Anacreon, fr. 104

« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 02:16:18 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: