OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 03:56:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Was Christ really Jewish?  (Read 7313 times) Average Rating: 0
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #225 on: February 27, 2013, 05:32:15 PM »

If Our Lord ever went to somebody's "school",  it wasn't Rabbi Hillel - rather his cousin, St. John the Baptist, whose baptism he received and than whom he said no one greater was born of a woman. Like St. John's, his public ministry began in the wilderness.

He appeared to be self-taught (i.e. not the disciple of any famous rabbi): "The Jews were amazed and asked: How did this man get such learning without having studied?" (John 7:15)

Also, he says: "But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all brothers." (Matthew 23:8 )

This is because of a Messianic promise that he came to fulfill: "It is written in the Prophets, ‘And they will all be taught by God.’ (Is. 54:13; Jer. 31:34) Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me." (John 6:45)

« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 05:52:25 PM by Romaios » Logged
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #226 on: February 27, 2013, 05:42:07 PM »

The "Post Temple Talmudic Judaism" is actually a closer  reflection of the school of Rabbi Hillel which the Lord himself taught.
Again, I doubt it can be said that Jesus "taught the School of Rabbi Hillel", although he shared important features of that school.

his strict teaching on divorce (Matthew 5:32) places him on Shammai's side, since Hillel allowed divorce if a husband was in any way displeased with his wife.

After Jesus' death, his early followers, too, seemed to fall into both camps [the schools of Shammai and Hillel].

https://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Shammai
Hillel taught a Golden Rule Philosophy and so did Jesus. The Shammai school was dominant BEFORE the fall of Jerusalem ( Temple) and I am sure remained influential just after.
I understand that Jesus and Hillel taught variants of the Golden Rule.

My point is that it is not simply the case that "Jesus taught the school of Rabbi Hillel." His teaching on marriage disagreed with Hillel's teaching and followed the teaching of Shammai instead.

Further, some of Jesus' teachings could be seen as surpassing Hillel's in their liberality. For example, Jesus said to forgive everyone seventy times seven.

At most one could say that Jesus' teachings were often more like those of Hillel than those of Shammai.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 05:58:54 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #227 on: February 27, 2013, 05:44:54 PM »

The Vatican even signed a Concordat (treaty) with the German Reich to maintain friendly relations.

With Russia, and Romania too. Your point?
My point is self-evident in the post.

Now, answer my question.

What's Russia or Romania have to do with anything?

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #228 on: February 27, 2013, 05:49:01 PM »

They also have concordates. Does it make them Catholic countries?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #229 on: February 27, 2013, 06:02:32 PM »

The Vatican even signed a Concordat (treaty) with the German Reich to maintain friendly relations.

It's true that there were communications from the Vatican, but some were unfortunately too weak to be effective:
According to secret Vatican documents recently released wartime pontiff Pope Pius XII attempted a "long distance" exorcism of Hitler which failed to have any effect.

Father Amorth [Pope Benedict XVI's "caster out of demons"] said: "It's very rare that praying and attempting to carry out an exorcism from distance works."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-402602/Hitler-Stalin-possessed-Devil-says-Vatican-exorcist.html#ixzz2M8j8L300
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 06:06:39 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #230 on: February 27, 2013, 06:06:32 PM »

Well obviously He wasn't a post-temple Jew,

This is obvious and it's obvious that post-temple jews have nothing to do with christianity.

He had already ascended to the Father's right-hand by the time the temple was destroyed.

The "temple" was destroyed the minute they nailed him to the cross.

However, there is enough evidence to reasonably believe Christ was within the realm of Pharisaic Judaism,

This is outright blasphemy!

, such as the nearly identical responses given by Hillel when asked to teach all of the law while standing on one foot and Christ when asked about the greatest commandment.

More nonsense. Are you seriously calling Jesus a plagerizer or suggesting he copied some Talmudic rabbi's commentary about the "golden rule" amongst other teachings in his ministry? I don't remember Jesus quoting or referring anything about the religious leaders of his time except for a bunch of scoundrels and hypocrites.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #231 on: February 27, 2013, 06:22:34 PM »

They also have concordates. Does it make them Catholic countries?
No it does not, we all know those countries are predominately Orthodox and the schismatics made sure it was going to stay that way, concordats or not;

Short-lived freedoms undermined by Church rivalsRelations with Russia were always difficults because of rivalries with the Russian Orthodox Church. The short-lived freedoms were undermined by jealousies of the rival Orthodox Church, Polish political aspirations in the occupied lands, which used the Church as cover and vehicle, and the tendency of imperial Russia, to act most brutally against any dissension.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1847_Agreement_between_the_Holy_See_and_Russia

My point was that the Vatican seemed to have a working relationship with NS Germany, a country with a much higher  percentage of Catholic membership than the Allied countries at that time. Of course this includes Godless, communist, atheist, Mother Russia as well.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 06:28:35 PM by Charles Martel » Logged

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #232 on: February 27, 2013, 06:43:52 PM »

This is obvious and it's obvious that post-temple jews have nothing to do with christianity.

He had already ascended to the Father's right-hand by the time the temple was destroyed.

However, there is enough evidence to reasonably believe Christ was within the realm of Pharisaic Judaism,

, such as the nearly identical responses given by Hillel when asked to teach all of the law while standing on one foot and Christ when asked about the greatest commandment.

More nonsense. Are you seriously calling Jesus a plagerizer or suggesting he copied some Talmudic rabbi's commentary about the "golden rule" amongst other teachings in his ministry? I don't remember Jesus quoting or referring anything about the religious leaders of his time except for a bunch of scoundrels and hypocrites.

How is anything I've said blasphemous? 

And He also said "The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:  All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not."

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #233 on: February 27, 2013, 07:01:52 PM »

If Our Lord ever went to somebody's "school",  it wasn't Rabbi Hillel - rather his cousin, St. John the Baptist, whose baptism he received and than whom he said no one greater was born of a woman. Like St. John's, his public ministry began in the wilderness.

He appeared to be self-taught (i.e. not the disciple of any famous rabbi): "The Jews were amazed and asked: How did this man get such learning without having studied?" (John 7:15)

Also, he says: "But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all brothers." (Matthew 23:8 )

This is because of a Messianic promise that he came to fulfill: "It is written in the Prophets, ‘And they will all be taught by God.’ (Is. 54:13; Jer. 31:34) Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me." (John 6:45)

The term "School" does not mean a physical place. It is a reference to a line of thought or a faction or a philosophical tendency. Both Hillel and Jesus emphasized the Golden Rule ( "the rest is commentary").

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #234 on: February 27, 2013, 07:04:03 PM »

You really don't know what you are talking about.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #235 on: February 27, 2013, 07:11:30 PM »

Nah, he wasn't Jewish, that's why he preached in temples and was called Rabboni. Oh, wait...  police

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #236 on: February 27, 2013, 10:10:58 PM »

This is a scary and troubling thread.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #237 on: February 27, 2013, 10:19:56 PM »

Any old timers having flashbacks to when GiC started posting here?

I know I am.

But he was funnier and sometimes over the top just to be maddening. Although quite full of himself too, so not very tolerable. But he could surpprise you sometimes. This stuff is just creepy.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #238 on: February 27, 2013, 11:15:01 PM »

Yet you are silent about what Judaism says in it's Talmud blaspheming Christ and the BVM.

I've heard this accusation before but can you actually quote where the Talmud does all those horrible thing?

He can't. He'll try to, but I'll head him off at the pass.

He's probably relying on 'Brother Nathanael's' quoted fabrications, which hark back to the well-known fraud, "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion" - which claim that Jews say you should kill Christian babies, and other such crap. Since I've actually read the Talmud, and it doesn't say what Nathanael claims it says, he and everyone who believes him on that is a fraud.  

As I said before, I'm worried about the type of converts and supporters who seem to be attracted to Orthodoxy because of the fetishistic aspects they (falsely) attach to it - the chance to 'adopt yourself' into Eastern European culture, which gives them what they believe to be the right to pretend to be 'ancient warriors.' There's a big difference between admiring a culture and using it to think it shoehorns you back into the old tough white guy days. They can't deal with women voting and going to college and not being stuck in the kitchen. They can't deal with the fact that there is now plenty of competition for those six-figure jobs at General Motors. They can't deal with a lot of things. So they drift into a fantasy world. Orthodoxy isn't really a fantasy, nor is a majority anti-Jewish, but there's an element that crops up sometimes, and we do no good by pretending it's not a problem. Some people want to make things into what they don't have to be. Heck, I don't want to be anti-anybody.

Having grown up in a city that is over 25% Jewish, learned Hebrew in nursery school, and become a compulsory visitor of the library, I can't stand this kind of fear-mongering that arises now and then, where it's conspiracy this and conspiracy that, while most of the Jewish folks I knew turned out to be things like librarians, teachers, locksmiths... pretty darn normal. Gasp! Shock! And they never rejected Christ - they said rather nice things about Him.

I can't take it anymore. This anti-Semitic b.s. is driving me nuts. If that makes some people not like me, so be it. It's like having a wart on your foot. It won't kill you, but how much does anybody really like warts?

Good post biro! Is it any wonder that more and more people describe thmselves as "nones." As is in, which religion do you practice: None!
Increasingly people just equate religion with bigotry and intolerance. When you read some of this crazy #%*! you can see why.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #239 on: February 27, 2013, 11:22:52 PM »

James,
Or was He the ultimate post-Temple Jew?

Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.” But He was speaking of the temple of His body. (John 20)

Its a tough issue when you say:
However, there is enough evidence to reasonably believe Christ was within the realm of Pharisaic Judaism, such as the nearly identical responses given by Hillel when asked to teach all of the law while standing on one foot and Christ when asked about the greatest commandment.
Christ was a Rabbi. That's what His followers caled him. St Paul was a pharisee, he emphasizes. And there were pharisees among the main early Christians. However, when Acts makes this latter statement, it also indicates that others were not. Jesus distinguished himself from the pharisees, saying to beware of their leaven. I agree with Romaios: his clearest, closest predecessor within Judaism would be John the Baptist. Of the pharisees (I think) Jesus asked: If John's work was of God, why did you not listen to him?

My point is that although there was alot of overlap with the pharisees, there seems to be enough that distinguishes them.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:43:47 PM by rakovsky » Logged
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #240 on: February 27, 2013, 11:31:49 PM »

My point was that the Vatican seemed to have a working relationship with NS Germany
No it didn't. The Vatican's exorcism of Hitler did not work, and that was the most crucial thing it could have accomplished.

My point was that the Vatican seemed to have a working relationship with NS Germany, a country with a much higher percentage of Catholic membership than the Allied countries at that time.
Where do you get this stuff from? France and Poland were fully Catholic. Germany was only half Catholic and the Nazi leadership was occultist.

Are you aware of Nazi Germany's Lapanka policy? There is such a long list of crimes against the Polish population. Millions were killed. "Between 1939 and 1945, 2,935 members of the Polish clergy (18%) were killed in concentration camps." 108 of them are called "blessed martyrs". (Wikipedia, "Nazi crimes against ethnic Poles")
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:42:37 PM by rakovsky » Logged
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #241 on: February 27, 2013, 11:54:46 PM »

If Our Lord ever went to somebody's "school",  it wasn't Rabbi Hillel - rather his cousin, St. John the Baptist, whose baptism he received and than whom he said no one greater was born of a woman. Like St. John's, his public ministry began in the wilderness.

The term "School" is a reference to a line of thought or a faction or a philosophical tendency. Both Hillel and Jesus emphasized the Golden Rule ( "the rest is commentary").
However, they each gave different varieties of the Golden Rule. Jesus' was active, Hillel's was passive. And like I said, Jesus' teaching on marriage favored Shammai's teaching over Hillel.

Romaios is correct here: Jesus is best thought of as an independent figure with His own thinking ("How did this man get such learning without having studied?")

The Bible says that people were surprised with Jesus because He taught on His own authority. (As opposed to: R.Hillel says X. R. Eliyahu says X)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:56:16 PM by rakovsky » Logged
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #242 on: February 28, 2013, 07:55:56 AM »

Interesting post. But don't forget the Axis had just as many Christians within their borders as well.

Germany and Italy are predominantly Catholic countries.

The U.S. and Britain were predominantly Protestant heretics.

Three cheers for the heretics!

Amen!
+1

quoting tags corrected - MK
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:20:21 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #243 on: February 28, 2013, 08:06:22 AM »

Are we still discussing this?  Of course Jesus was Jewish.  The first Christians were the Apostles.

True, technically Jesus wasn't a Christian. He was a Jew in the flesh, who received his flesh from a Jewish maiden who became the very first Christian and whom we venerate today. Of course, also being God incarnate He also fulfilled Old Testament Judaism and established the Christian faith through His incarnation, life, death, resurrection, ascencion and eternal union of His human/divine natures in one person.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #244 on: February 28, 2013, 11:42:18 AM »

If Our Lord ever went to somebody's "school",  it wasn't Rabbi Hillel - rather his cousin, St. John the Baptist, whose baptism he received and than whom he said no one greater was born of a woman. Like St. John's, his public ministry began in the wilderness.

The term "School" is a reference to a line of thought or a faction or a philosophical tendency. Both Hillel and Jesus emphasized the Golden Rule ( "the rest is commentary").
However, they each gave different varieties of the Golden Rule. Jesus' was active, Hillel's was passive. And like I said, Jesus' teaching on marriage favored Shammai's teaching over Hillel.

Romaios is correct here: Jesus is best thought of as an independent figure with His own thinking ("How did this man get such learning without having studied?")

The Bible says that people were surprised with Jesus because He taught on His own authority. (As opposed to: R.Hillel says X. R. Eliyahu says X)

I did not claim their teachings were identical. They both taught the same TYPE of philosophy based on the Golden Rule. In fact, Jesus actively took up arguments put forth by Hillel's faction, most notably healing on the Sabbath.. This would lead one to suspect that Jesus knew of this faction but it does not really matter much.

Several practices of the Pharisee's were instrumental to the survival of Christianity after the destruction of the Temple, The most important may have been the emphasis on Home based worship.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #245 on: February 28, 2013, 12:28:36 PM »

I did not claim their teachings were identical. They both taught the same TYPE of philosophy based on the Golden Rule. In fact, Jesus actively took up arguments put forth by Hillel's faction, most notably healing on the Sabbath.. This would lead one to suspect that Jesus knew of this faction but it does not really matter much.

Several practices of the Pharisee's were instrumental to the survival of Christianity after the destruction of the Temple, The most important may have been the emphasis on Home based worship.
and the synagogue service, now the Liturgy of the Word.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #246 on: February 28, 2013, 01:11:13 PM »

However, they each gave different varieties of the Golden Rule. Jesus' was active, Hillel's was passive.

Could you explain what you mean by this?

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #247 on: February 28, 2013, 02:43:29 PM »

However, they each gave different varieties of the Golden Rule. Jesus' was active, Hillel's was passive.

OK. Jesus C. stated the Golden Rule in an active sense- "Do unto others..."
R. Hillel on the other hand stated what not to do.

The Silver Rule, "Do not do unto others what you would not have them do unto you", is a standard of behaviour found in the writings of, amongst others, Hillel the Elder. It is the contra positive of the ethical principle of the Golden Rule.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Rule

One explanation I heard was that the Old Testament often had negative proscriptions against doing bad things. But with Jesus' Sermon on the Mount, he took an active stance.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 02:45:10 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #248 on: February 28, 2013, 02:47:51 PM »

OK. Jesus C. stated the Golden Rule in an active sense- "Do unto others..."
R. Hillel on the other hand stated what not to do.

The Silver Rule, "Do not do unto others what you would not have them do unto you", is a standard of behaviour found in the writings of, amongst others, Hillel the Elder. It is the contra positive of the ethical principle of the Golden Rule.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Rule

One explanation I heard was that the Old Testament often had negative proscriptions against doing bad things. But with Jesus' Sermon on the Mount, he took an active stance.

Thanks

Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #249 on: February 28, 2013, 09:19:39 PM »

Seems you get spooked mightily easy there " brother", maybe you should just skim this thread and move on.

What is it with subjects that touch upon reality that "scares" the daylights out of so-called "men"?

Are we that wimpy of a culture now?

Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #250 on: February 28, 2013, 09:22:42 PM »

My point was that the Vatican seemed to have a working relationship with NS Germany
No it didn't. The Vatican's exorcism of Hitler did not work, and that was the most crucial thing it could have accomplished.

My point was that the Vatican seemed to have a working relationship with NS Germany, a country with a much higher percentage of Catholic membership than the Allied countries at that time.
Where do you get this stuff from? France and Poland were fully Catholic. Germany was only half Catholic and the Nazi leadership was occultist.

Are you aware of Nazi Germany's Lapanka policy? There is such a long list of crimes against the Polish population. Millions were killed. "Between 1939 and 1945, 2,935 members of the Polish clergy (18%) were killed in concentration camps." 108 of them are called "blessed martyrs". (Wikipedia, "Nazi crimes against ethnic Poles")
Maybe Hitler wasn't indeed "posessed"....... Roll Eyes

wow, are all you people crazy or what?

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #251 on: February 28, 2013, 10:11:10 PM »

Seems you get spooked mightily easy there " brother", maybe you should just skim this thread and move on.

What is it with subjects that touch upon reality that "scares" the daylights out of so-called "men"?

I count five insults, maybe six..This is like playing Where's Waldo.

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #252 on: February 28, 2013, 10:11:52 PM »

On a somewhat separate note, I would like to share a movie that I found persuasive:
Was Hitler Homosexual?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fMwOzVIYbg

And also, from: 17 Strange Facts About Hitler
* Hitler's handwriting is impeccable. When famous psychologist Carl Jung saw Hitler's handwriting in 1937, he remarked: "Behind this handwriting I recognize the typical characteristics of a man with essentially feminine instinct."

* To excite the masses, he also uses American College football-style music during his speeches. His rallying cry - "Sieg Heil!" - was even modeled after the cheering techniques used by American football cheerleaders.
http://www.neatorama.com/2007/09/17/17-strange-facts-about-hitler/
What do you think, is the movie persuasive?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:14:59 PM by rakovsky » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #253 on: February 28, 2013, 10:59:06 PM »

Does Charles remind anybody else of posters who have written here under different names but the exact same shtik?

Come out, come out, wherever you are.

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #254 on: February 28, 2013, 11:58:34 PM »

Charles,

How much authority would you place on the Pope's opinion?

• In March 1935, [the Vatican's Cardinal Secretary of State and future Pope Pius XII] wrote an open letter to the bishop of Cologne calling the Nazis "false prophets with the pride of Lucifer".

That same year, he assailed ideologies "possessed by the superstition of race and blood" to an enormous crowd of pilgrims at Lourdes.
    http://romanchristendom.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

In my opinion the Pope's attempted exorcism of Hitler makes his perspective even more obvious than this.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:59:04 PM by rakovsky » Logged
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #255 on: March 01, 2013, 12:04:40 AM »

For laughs:

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 12:04:54 AM by rakovsky » Logged
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #256 on: March 01, 2013, 02:08:46 AM »

If the Germans had won World War II, we'd be living in a futuristic space world with flying cars and that's the honest truth...say what you may about them, but I drove a BMW for the first time and it was amazing.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #257 on: March 01, 2013, 10:40:20 AM »

If the Germans had won World War II, we'd be living in a futuristic space world with flying cars and that's the honest truth...say what you may about them, but I drove a BMW for the first time and it was amazing.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #258 on: March 01, 2013, 12:55:22 PM »

On a somewhat separate note, I would like to share a movie that I found persuasive:
Was Hitler Homosexual?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fMwOzVIYbg

And also, from: 17 Strange Facts About Hitler
* Hitler's handwriting is impeccable. When famous psychologist Carl Jung saw Hitler's handwriting in 1937, he remarked: "Behind this handwriting I recognize the typical characteristics of a man with essentially feminine instinct."

* To excite the masses, he also uses American College football-style music during his speeches. His rallying cry - "Sieg Heil!" - was even modeled after the cheering techniques used by American football cheerleaders.
http://www.neatorama.com/2007/09/17/17-strange-facts-about-hitler/
What do you think, is the movie persuasive?

The leader of the SA Ernst Rohm was homosexual. Hitler had him killed early on as he was getting too powerful.

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #259 on: March 01, 2013, 02:47:04 PM »

The leader of the SA Ernst Rohm was homosexual. Hitler had him killed early on as he was getting too powerful.
He needed to make sure he stayed the man in the relationship. The movie also claims the beer hall putsch was started in a gay bar, IIRC.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #260 on: March 01, 2013, 05:22:26 PM »

Welcome to, "Missing the Point"! We'll start with History for 100!

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #261 on: March 01, 2013, 06:19:28 PM »

This thread has a point?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #262 on: March 01, 2013, 06:30:13 PM »

I count five insults, maybe six..This is like playing Where's Waldo.

You know, I have this vision in my mind marc about what you might look like.

I think you just nailed it with that image.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #263 on: March 01, 2013, 06:37:41 PM »

To be frank, I do not know how many religions there could have been on the 'choice slate' for someone growing up in that part of the world, in the ancient era. I mean, in most places, unless you were Jewish or an Egyptian Ra-worshiper you'd be a polytheist. You'd be worshiping Hera and Zeus or Mithra or whatever the local pagan element was. But people from Israel/Palestine were pretty much Jewish. There weren't that many other things on the menu, so to speak. Just my guess.

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #264 on: March 01, 2013, 06:41:31 PM »

To be frank, I do not know how many religions there could have been on the 'choice slate' for someone growing up in that part of the world, in the ancient era. I mean, in most places, unless you were Jewish or an Egyptian Ra-worshiper you'd be a polytheist. You'd be worshiping Hera and Zeus or Mithra or whatever the local pagan element was. But people from Israel/Palestine were pretty much Jewish. There weren't that many other things on the menu, so to speak. Just my guess.
What about Zoroastrianism? Isn't that monotheist?
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #265 on: March 01, 2013, 06:42:59 PM »

This thread has a point?
That Jesus was a Palestinian Christian Jewish Orthodox Catholic and Hitler was possibly a demon-possessed ***.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:43:26 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #266 on: March 01, 2013, 06:43:41 PM »

Charles,

How much authority would you place on the Pope's opinion?

• In March 1935, [the Vatican's Cardinal Secretary of State and future Pope Pius XII] wrote an open letter to the bishop of Cologne calling the Nazis "false prophets with the pride of Lucifer".

That same year, he assailed ideologies "possessed by the superstition of race and blood" to an enormous crowd of pilgrims at Lourdes.
    http://romanchristendom.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

In my opinion the Pope's attempted exorcism of Hitler makes his perspective even more obvious than this.
What "excorcism"? Is there anything  official from the pope himself that he tried some kind of ridiculolus "long distance" exorcism of Hitler or anyone for that matter during WWII? And what's all this nonsense about him being to far from the Fuhrer for it to be "effective"? This stuff sound  like some kind of crazy voodoo  or something.

I guess the pope's magic has it's geographical limitations. Roll Eyes

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #267 on: March 01, 2013, 07:28:26 PM »

Technically, I guess. I just don't think that would be the top #1 choice for people like Jesus' family, given what we know about them. That's all.

Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #268 on: March 01, 2013, 07:50:16 PM »

Technically, I guess. I just don't think that would be the top #1 choice for people like Jesus' family, given what we know about them. That's all.

The wise men who visited Christ at the Nativity originally were Zoroastrians.

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #269 on: March 01, 2013, 07:52:49 PM »

The wise men who visited Christ at the Nativity originally were Zoroastrians.

Wow! Huh. I stand corrected.

Tags: Nazarene 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: