OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 12:24:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Was Christ really Jewish?  (Read 6884 times) Average Rating: 0
Pericles

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople. Archdiocese of Thyateira & Great Britain.

« on: February 10, 2013, 12:04:37 PM »

In what way was Jesus Jewish? His mother Mary was an Israelite from the tribe of Levi, not Judah. At least two church Fathers thought his Name Jesus gk Iesous was Greek. He lived and worked in Galilee of the Gentiles. Spoke Greek, as did most people in Galilee. He called the Jews the 'Sons of Satan'. His cousin John the baptist was a Mandaean. Jesus was called a Nazarene, the Nazarenes were a Mandaean sect. I've seen Greeks claim that Jesus was Greek in the sense that he spoke Greek and in those days to speak Greek, was to be Greek.

Graecia capta ferum victorem cepit.
Santagranddad
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 12:26:32 PM »

As an aside a part Jewish Orthodox friend years ago was listening to an Ultra nationalist Russian woman in a full 'Jew hate' rant, and said 'Both Jesus and His Holy Mother were Jewish'. Nonsense said the bigot, they belonged to a long lost Russian tribe.

As to Nazarene was He not from Nazareth, and as with many cultures were people not identified by their forename and place of residence?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 12:32:20 PM »

Jesus didn't speak Greek. He may not have even understood it.

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 12:33:10 PM »

His uncle was Jewish high priest. Just saying...

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 12:47:41 PM »

Nonsense said the bigot, they belonged to a long lost Russian tribe.

Interesting.  Have you heard any more of this particular idea?  Some years ago, read something along the lines that the last words from the Cross were not Hebrew but were *really* some form of a Slavic language.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 12:48:15 PM »

To answer the OP:  Yes

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 01:04:31 PM »

Interesting.  Have you heard any more of this particular idea?  Some years ago, read something along the lines that the last words from the Cross were not Hebrew but were *really* some form of a Slavic language.
"British Israelite" type stuff. Galilee is called that because they are Gaelic. So Jesus was really British. One of the main places in Ukraine was Galicia, named after Gals in western Ukraine, and that must be Gaelic. So again more connections between Jesus, Britain and Ukraine.

Roll Eyes
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 01:05:25 PM »

As to Nazarene was He not from Nazareth, and as with many cultures were people not identified by their forename and place of residence?
Wasn't he from Bethlehem, but grew up in Nazareth, where his parents were from?
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 01:11:11 PM »

"British Israelite" type stuff. Galilee is called that because they are Gaelic. So Jesus was really British. One of the main places in Ukraine was Galicia, named after Gals in western Ukraine, and that must be Gaelic. So again more connections between Jesus, Britain and Ukraine.

Roll Eyes

Wow. Now that's a new one for me.  Huh

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 01:16:28 PM »

I've known about "British Israelite-ism" for a long time.  It's the "long lost Russian tribe" bit that's new to me.  Particularly since, as I understand it, the idea of "Russian" didn't exist 2,100 years ago.  (Recall the idea of "Rus" and Rurik who was 9th century and that.)

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 01:29:35 PM »

Roll Eyes

Using similar logic XVIIth century Poles argued that Jesus was a Pole.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Pericles

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople. Archdiocese of Thyateira & Great Britain.

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 01:33:21 PM »

It was unavoidable, business was conducted in Greek in that period in Galilee. Galilee was a Hellenistic region, hence the animosity between Judaeans and Galileans and why they called it Galilee of the Greeks.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 01:36:37 PM »

Roll Eyes

Fascinating.  I didn't know about that either.  Did the Polish argument connect to Great Britain or were there other counties/cultures connected.

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 01:43:06 PM »

I've known about "British Israelite-ism" for a long time.  It's the "long lost Russian tribe" bit that's new to me.  Particularly since, as I understand it, the idea of "Russian" didn't exist 2,100 years ago.  (Recall the idea of "Rus" and Rurik who was 9th century and that.)
Ebor,

Over a thousand years ago, the geographical region of Ukraine contained several "Rus" tribes or principalities, and was therefore called Kievan Rus. Thus, later on the Tsar was called the Tsar of all the "Russias."

Since Jesus was Ukrainian, that makes him Russian too. The Bible doesn't call him Ukrainian because as you pointed out it wasn't called Ukraine then. But it was basically the same group of Galicians.

Buddha, Jesus Christ and Ancient Egyptian were Ukrainians

Valery Bebik, a Doctor of Political Sciences, a professor, deputy principal of Ukraine University, the chairman of the board of the All-Ukrainian Association of Political Sciences... published a number of his articles in the official newspaper of the Ukrainian Parliament before. He wrote his previous articles for the paper to “prove” the remarkable role of the Ukrainian civilization, which endowed the world with spiritual enlightenment, outstanding prophets, philosophers and leaders.

In 2008-2009, the Ukrainian professor shared his amazing observations of Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece and the ethnic origin of Jesus Christ.  "It looks like Christ actually lived 3,000 years before his canonical birth and spoke the Coptic language, which is a close language to the ancestors of contemporary Ukrainians,” The Voice of Ukraine wrote.

http://english.pravda.ru/society/stories/12-03-2009/107229-buddha_jesus_christ_ukraine-0
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:47:53 PM by rakovsky » Logged
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 01:50:35 PM »

Oczywiście!
And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse, which shall stand for an ensign of the people (Is. 11:10)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:52:33 PM by rakovsky » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 01:59:25 PM »

Interesting.  Have you heard any more of this particular idea?  Some years ago, read something along the lines that the last words from the Cross were not Hebrew but were *really* some form of a Slavic language.

Roll Eyes

Fascinating.  I didn't know about that either.  Did the Polish argument connect to Great Britain or were there other counties/cultures connected.

"Palestyna is a modified name of Poland: Polaszczyna" - Wojciech Dębołecki OFMConv, 1633

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Santagranddad
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 02:21:18 PM »

Roll Eyes

Wow. Now that's a new one for me.  Huh

The lady in question, now dead, was so extreme in her politics and bigotry that when my friend pointed out her Jewish roots the response was, "But you can't be, I like you". The British interned her during during World War Two, and the Russian Church in Exile refused her communion.

These specious assertions that Our Saviour belonged to this, that or the other ethnic/language/tribal group have a long history and no foundation save the fantasies of those who spin them. Too often they are simply laughable save for the fantasist who needs to bolster his or her identity.
Santagranddad
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 02:24:37 PM »

Wasn't he from Bethlehem, but grew up in Nazareth, where his parents were from?

True, but fled as an infant into Egypt before the family returned to Nazareth, where He grew up.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 02:26:30 PM by Santagranddad » Logged
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 02:29:46 PM »

Quote from: Ebor

Fascinating.  I didn't know about that either.  Did the Polish argument connect to Great Britain or were there other counties/cultures connected.

"Palestyna is a modified name of Poland: Polaszczyna" - Wojciech Dębołecki OFMConv, 1633

Thank you.  That's very interesting, though I hope that you personally will not be offended that I don't believe the language connection.  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 02:30:19 PM by Ebor » Logged

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 02:43:12 PM »

Thank you.  That's very interesting, though I hope that you personally will not be offended that I don't believe the language connection.  Smiley
What are you talking about?  Palestina = Poleschina  
After all, their country's name means the "Poly Land"!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 02:47:25 PM by rakovsky » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 04:37:27 PM »

Are we going from gay-baiting to Jew-baiting now?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 04:39:47 PM »

Are we going from gay-baiting to Jew-baiting now?

It's Pericles only. I hope he will realise soon that no one shares his phobia and give up.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 04:40:05 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 04:51:44 PM »

The answer is: Aliens!

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Theophilos78
Warned
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 05:08:41 PM »

Even the word Christ is the Greek form of a Jewish concept/term.  Grin

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2013, 08:05:33 PM »

Is He not of this world?
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 08:14:55 PM »

It is known that when the first Jews went to settle in Poland, they said ‘Polin” – po lin, 'rest here'. That they would rest here during exile (and this is the real reason why that nation has that name because even if they didn’t see this, their mazal saw it).

Source

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 08:18:05 PM »

It is known that when the first Jews went to settle in Poland, they said ‘Polin” – po lin, 'rest here'. That they would rest here during exile (and this is the real reason why that nation has that name because even if they didn’t see this, their mazal saw it).

Source

LOL!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 08:29:11 PM »

Source

Poland /ˈpoʊlənd/ (Polish: Polska)
_____________________^^^^^

But anyway, his explanation is rational about why they, as opposed to Poles, might call it that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polin
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 08:33:38 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 08:35:03 PM »

Poland /ˈpoʊlənd/ (Polish: Polska)
____________________^^^^^

S'iz Polin oif Yiddish!  Roll Eyes
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2013, 11:34:46 PM »

This has got to be one of the most Cradle Christopher posts I have ever seen.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Symeon77

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

'with fear and trembling work out your salvation.'

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2013, 01:28:45 AM »

In what way was Jesus Jewish? His mother Mary was an Israelite from the tribe of Levi, not Judah. At least two church Fathers thought his Name Jesus gk Iesous was Greek. He lived and worked in Galilee of the Gentiles. Spoke Greek, as did most people in Galilee. He called the Jews the 'Sons of Satan'. His cousin John the baptist was a Mandaean. Jesus was called a Nazarene, the Nazarenes were a Mandaean sect. I've seen Greeks claim that Jesus was Greek in the sense that he spoke Greek and in those days to speak Greek, was to be Greek.

First of all, sources please. Which Fathers? and where? Two Fathers does not a consensus make.

Secondly, suggesting that St. John the Baptist was a Mandaean is a bit of an anachronism, no? Unless you would follow the Mandaean's chronology and their claiming St. John for themselves, in which case, why not become a Mandaean?

To address your question, though, and overlooking the etymologically and historically muddled speculations appended to it: Yes, according to the Orthodox, Jesus Christ was most certainly Jewish, and not incidentally, but of necessity (as it were) and by design. Read the Gospels for starters. Off the top of my head: Luke 2:21-24 and what follows, also 2:41-49. John 2:13-17 & 4:19-22. Galatians 4:4-5. Romans 1:3.

However, you are under no compulsion to believe this, as you are apparently not Orthodox, and I am thinking doubtfully Christian, as attested by your continual reference to the most florid heretical delusions. So, for you, He can be whoever you want, I suppose: The Aryan Christ, The Gnostic Christ, The Mandaean Christ, The Muslim Christ, etc. At some point you will have to make up your mind whether to accept Him or some counterfeit version of Him. The choice is yours alone to make but it is not one to be taken lightly.

May God grant you wisdom.

Where Christianity disappears, greed, envy, and lust invent a thousand ideologies to justify themselves.~ Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Abba Anthony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2013, 03:13:23 AM »

Even the word Christ is the Greek form of a Jewish concept/term.  Grin
His real Name is Yeshua Ha'Machiach...

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2013, 04:36:27 AM »

He'll always be Jesus to me!

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
Pericles

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2013, 04:58:55 AM »

...you are apparently not Orthodox, and I am thinking doubtfully Christian...May God grant you wisdom.
<<< Indeed! well may God grant you understanding. Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 04:59:59 AM by Pericles » Logged

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2013, 05:31:34 AM »

...you are apparently not Orthodox, and I am thinking doubtfully Christian...May God grant you wisdom.
<<< Indeed! well may God grant you understanding. Cheesy

There's a curious resurgence of Hellenistic paganism going on in Greece. Some strands are overtly anti-Christian, while others (like Pericles) attempt to make Christ into a Greek sage and thus "redeem" him. I've even heard of some nutty linguist who tried to argue that Hebrew is a Greek dialect.

This reminds me of our own Dacomaniacs (Romanian protochronism).

@ Pericles your signature has a spelling mistake: it should be Graecia capta, not capla

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2013, 06:10:30 AM »

It was unavoidable, business was conducted in Greek in that period in Galilee. Galilee was a Hellenistic region, hence the animosity between Judaeans and Galileans and why they called it Galilee of the Greeks.

They called it 'Galilee of the Gentiles' (galil haggoyim/Galilaia allophylon), not 'of the Greeks'.

The current understanding of Judaism’s complex interaction with Hellenism as a cultural force, even in Palestine, makes it impossible to continue with stereotypes such as the epithet “Galilee of the Gentiles” might suggest. Galilee was unmistakably Jewish, at least by the time of Pompey’s intervention; otherwise it would not have been assigned to the territory of the ethnarch, Hyrcanus. The question then is: How did their Jewish loyalty affect the cultural affiliations of the natives, given that they were surrounded by Greek-style city-states and their territories? In discussing such a question it is important to recognize that while cultural affiliation and social stratification are intimately interwoven, allegiance to the values of the larger culture at one level need not necessarily mean their acceptance in other more-intimate areas of life. What, for example, are the assumptions of the Markan narrator about cross-cultural contacts in Galilee when we are informed that a Syrophoenician woman, a Greek, came to a Jewish healer, Jesus, in search of a cure for her child? (...)

There is widespread acceptance of the fact that Aramaic was the lingua franca of Galilee in the 1st century c.e., but that by itself did not mean cultural isolation; it had been for centuries the international language of the whole Syrian region. Greek, had indeed replaced it as the language of trade and commerce as well as of administration since Alexander’s conquests. In Galilee this meant that those who first used Greek would have been non-natives or those who were involved in the bureaucratic structures. Inscriptional evidence suggests that Greek was more common in the region of the lakefront than elsewhere, but even then one has to be cautious in using it as a cultural indicator. (...)

On the basis of what we know from elsewhere, some distinction must also be made between the city culture of such places as Sepphoris and Tiberias as well as the larger of Josephus’ densely populated villages and the smaller units among the 204 such places which he claims for Galilee. In many of these, the natural conservatism of the peasant way of life would have been resistant not just to the cultural aspects of Hellenism, but even to its technical advantages. Claims to the contrary, often based on meager and disparate evidence, notwithstanding, there seems to be every indication that such resistance, often supported by Jewish religious values, was quite successful.

"Galilee: Hellenistic/Roman Galilee" in the Anchor Bible Dictionary.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 06:23:19 AM by Romaios » Logged
Pericles

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2013, 06:19:04 AM »

There's a curious resurgence of Hellenistic paganism going on in Greece. Some strands are overtly anti-Christian, while others (like Pericles) attempt to make Christ into a Greek sage and thus "redeem" him.
Thats nearly correct, theres a resurgence of Hellenism in some sections of Greece. For some it takes the form of Classical Paganism for others it is Christian Hellenism.

Orthodoxy is Hellenism - Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew

Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2013, 06:26:31 AM »

Is He not of this world?

That is what Joseph Smith said and Smith was from America, so Jesus was an American citizen, but not of this world. Shocked  Just think about that for a moment.
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2013, 06:35:22 AM »

Orthodoxy is Hellenism - Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew

Depending on the context of the EP's affirmation, one could or could not agree with it. If it means that the (Greek) Orthodox Church is the continuation of Hellenistic culture in that it inherited much of its values and historical heritage, then ok. If it is interpreted to mean that true Orthodoxy is peculiar to the Hellenes alone (Jesus was Greek, etc.), it would be a form of phyletism comparable to Slavophilia.   

"The Church should not be confused with the destiny of a single nation or a single race." It was the Ecumenical Patriarchate itself that defined and condemned ethnophyletism as heresy.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 06:49:24 AM by Romaios » Logged
Pericles

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2013, 07:25:06 AM »

If it means that the (Greek) Orthodox Church is the continuation of Hellenistic culture in that it inherited much of its values and historical heritage, then ok.
Thats how I see it, with the caveat that it means that Greek Orthodoxy is a Helleno-Christian and not a Judaeo-Christian, religion. Also saying that Christ is Greek is meant in the sense of being Greek speaking, not ethnically. It is to say he is universal (Hellenistic) and not confused with the destiny of a single nation or a single race (Jewish).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 07:29:48 AM by Pericles » Logged

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2013, 07:30:17 AM »

Thats how I see it, with the caveat that it means that Greek Orthodoxy is a Helleno-Christian and not a Judaeo-Christian, religion.

Christianity is Judaeo-Hellenic. Denying the obvious Jewishness of Christianity is utterly baseless and untenable for anyone who has read the New Testament. I would go as far as to say it was a moderate form of the Marcionite heresy.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 07:33:40 AM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Pericles

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2013, 07:34:05 AM »

Christianity is Judaeo-Hellenic.
Impossible how can you both reject Christ and accept him at the same time, the idea is proposterous.

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2013, 07:35:32 AM »

Impossible how can you both reject Christ and accept him at the same time, the idea is proposterous.

Since when did "Judeo" imply a rejection of Christ? I did not say "Rabbino-Hellenic" or "Talmudo-Hellenic".
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 07:36:40 AM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2013, 07:36:40 AM »

If it means that the (Greek) Orthodox Church is the continuation of Hellenistic culture in that it inherited much of its values and historical heritage, then ok.
Thats how I see it, with the caveat that it means that Greek Orthodoxy is a Helleno-Christian and not a Judaeo-Christian, religion. Also saying that Christ is Greek is meant in the sense of being Greek speaking, not ethnically. It is to say he is universal (Hellenistic) and not confused with the destiny of a single nation or a single race (Jewish).

Marcion much?

The issue of Jewish phyletism was dealt with at the Synod of Jerusalem (Acts 15), when the Church ruled in favour of St. Paul's mission to the Gentiles.
Pericles

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2013, 07:38:54 AM »

Since when did "Judeo" imply a rejection of Christ?
Since the crowd demanded that Herod put Christ to death.

Tags: Nazarene 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: