OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 10:44:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: What will Prostestanism be like in 50 years?
The Same (Same Groups) - 3 (8.1%)
Smaller  (Many Denominations will cease to exist) - 16 (43.2%)
Denominations will merge with one another - 9 (24.3%)
Most Protestants will either joining the Roman Catholic Church or Eastern Church - 4 (10.8%)
I am unsure - 5 (13.5%)
Total Voters: 37

Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What, in your opinion, is the future of Protestantism?  (Read 2569 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2013, 07:42:51 PM »

I believe that we're in for some interesting times and no one, even Orthodox, will be completely immune.  Of course, the Church will not change.  As far as Protestantism is concerned, I see a time when many will be looking towards the past, towards continuity and structure while other aspects will fracture even further.  I pray that they all come home to Eastern Orthodoxy and that the so-called Prosperity Gospel fades into a mere footnote.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
lovesupreme
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2013, 08:00:23 PM »

I believe that we're in for some interesting times and no one, even Orthodox, will be completely immune.  Of course, the Church will not change.  As far as Protestantism is concerned, I see a time when many will be looking towards the past, towards continuity and structure while other aspects will fracture even further.  I pray that they all come home to Eastern Orthodoxy and that the so-called Prosperity Gospel fades into a mere footnote.

From a realistic perspective, I would be elated if America sees increased conversions from protestantism to Roman Catholicism. That will at least change the way the country sees the Bible and tradition.

I'm very troubled by the currently popular "religion in a vacuum" and "do-it-yourself" methods.

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2013, 11:49:35 AM »

I know around my area people are really getting sick of the baptists and are moving to very high church or very low church.

Our local parish has grown alot in the last 3 years, as have the RC parishes. The prosperity gospel and non-denomination churches spring up, get tons of cash, then disappear in 5 years.

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2013, 12:11:51 PM »

I know around my area people are really getting sick of the baptists and are moving to very high church or very low church.

Our local parish has grown alot in the last 3 years, as have the RC parishes. The prosperity gospel and non-denomination churches spring up, get tons of cash, then disappear in 5 years.
Really strange around here is that, while they are completely low church, there are a handful of prosperity gospel leaders who dress in traditional clerical garb, mixing and matching Anglican and Roman styles.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Daedelus1138
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2013, 01:08:00 PM »

From a realistic perspective, I would be elated if America sees increased conversions from protestantism to Roman Catholicism. That will at least change the way the country sees the Bible and tradition.

Roman Catholicism is actually not doing well once you factor out immigration.   There are some high-profile conversions but a great many people are not happy with the spiritual life in Roman Catholicism or the way the hierarchy has handled itself to the public.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: