OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 07:38:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Confused...  (Read 634 times) Average Rating: 0
jesusisthekey

« on: February 09, 2013, 12:43:53 PM »

Well when I was younger, much younger, I was taken to vacation bible school in a nice Lutheran Church. I believe my interests in Christianity were placed within me during this time--but during my middle-school years I believe I became more interested in history and philosophy. Well the summer going into 9th Grade (i.e. going into high school) I became deeply interested in Christianity, I even considered becoming Mormon, now I don't even remember what the real reason I considered joining. But I became interested in religion, and had a really weird spiritual breakdown (delusional thoughts of "visions" and all that nonsense) between December of that year and January of the following, but in January I realized the errors of the Mormon faith and was a Protestant.

But when I became Protestant during that time I was more of, "I know God exits, and Christianity is likely true, I need to know which Church to join" but I was confused, deeply. So after about 2 months, I disbelieved in Christ and became what I call "a thinking deist" where I think anyone reasonable would believe that God does exist, but disbelieves in any afterlife what-so-ever. I was this till about May when I became a Christian again, my father went to a convention and brought back religious books. So this was right around the time that school year had ended, I had pretty much 3 months of summer to have fun and do stuff. Well I had a period of time in June of thinking of becoming a Muslim, I heard Islam's claims to be the "truth", but I after awhile thought their claims were invalid and false presumptions due to them not studying history.

So going into July I had really looked into the Christian faith and believed Roman Catholicism was the truth, I agreed with them using what I considered "logical" ideas. I never went to a Catholic Service for the record. But a short time afterwards I became full-on Protestant, and by the time August came around I was a fundamentalist, but then I fell around various other views of new-age-Protestantism. I fell away from the Protestant faith last November and became a Christian Deist (I thought the Christian Faith had been distorted from Jesus original teachings).

So January comes around I start to think I never gave Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism a full chance, so I studied and originally leaned towards Eastern Orthodoxy but I learned about what happened at Fatima and the prophecies which were fulfilled and then sort of looked the early Church Fathers and saw that they mentioned the "Catholic Church" and I thought with mentioned things which Catholics believed and then I was sort of like "well they believe most of what the Catholics believe, why isn't this the truth then?". I got a book from the Library last week and it was essentially a Roman Catholic defense of their view on Mary, and I was convinced that they may have a point, but the father I got into the book the more I saw the book hint at the idea that some of their core views on Mary were first believed after the first few centuries. In the book it mentions briefly the view of Mary in Orthodoxy and I agree with the Orthodoxies view.

I hear that non-Roman Catholics say that Rome liberalized itself in the Second Vatican Council, it had to bring itself into modern times to escape judgements from non-Catholics about them being "old fashioned". I love old-fashioned, it means it follows the truth. But I now see how non-Catholics make the Second Vatican Council did in a way, liberalize the Church. But why I am at a crossroads is that the Roman Catholic Church claims all these prophetic messages appear to Catholics, and not other sects, and a lot of the time, the prophesies they see become real.  I also cannot accept what the majority of Roman Catholics accept as true about eschatology, I see myself as a futurist (or it will happen soon, and that events described during the end times has not fully happened yet).

So I have two questions...

1) Why do Catholics receive the prophecies that mostly come true, and why don't Eastern Orthodox Christians get them? If the Eastern Orthodox does, why isn't it on a scale such as Fatima?

2) If Catholic means Universal why didn't the Eastern Side take that name to their Church? Because the early Church Fathers wrote of the Catholic Church being the Church.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 12:48:53 PM by jesusisthekey » Logged
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 01:25:27 PM »

2) If Catholic means Universal why didn't the Eastern Side take that name to their Church?
Our Church is called the Orthodox Catholic Church.

Catholic doesn't mean universal, either.

You need to slow down and relax with all this spiritual hopping, bro. Join the track team.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 01:25:50 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
jesusisthekey

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 01:30:33 PM »

2) If Catholic means Universal why didn't the Eastern Side take that name to their Church?

You need to slow down and relax with all this spiritual hopping, bro. Join the track team.

I guess I was wrong.  Thanks for the corrections and advice!
jesusisthekey

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 01:35:58 PM »

My post does jump around a lot and I will simply ask this question:

1) Who is your favorite saint and why? I ask this because I will study the works of your saint and this will help me.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 01:38:25 PM »

My post does jump around a lot and I will simply ask this question:

1) Who is your favorite saint and why? I ask this because I will study the works of your saint and this will help me.

Use the forum search. There are already a few threads "discussing" that.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
jesusisthekey

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 02:06:27 PM »

I found other threads which answer my questions, thanks for those who were reading this. God Bless!
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 02:13:39 PM »

I hope you will stick around  Smiley

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 02:36:27 PM »

I guess I was wrong.  Thanks for the corrections and advice!

"Catholic" means the Church is completely present in all of it's parts. So the Church on the corner is THE Catholic Church.

I can recount for you several Buddhist miracles and prophesies that came true. That does not mean we should all be Buddhists or that Buddhism must be exclusively true.

The Orthodox are far more circumspect about the miracles it's members witness. 

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Shiranui117
Formerly known as "Wandering Sheep"

Faith: Orthodox (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: ACROD/OCA

PUDDI PUDDI!

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 06:11:53 PM »

Well when I was younger, much younger, I was taken to vacation bible school in a nice Lutheran Church. I believe my interests in Christianity were placed within me during this time--but during my middle-school years I believe I became more interested in history and philosophy. Well the summer going into 9th Grade (i.e. going into high school) I became deeply interested in Christianity, I even considered becoming Mormon, now I don't even remember what the real reason I considered joining. But I became interested in religion, and had a really weird spiritual breakdown (delusional thoughts of "visions" and all that nonsense) between December of that year and January of the following, but in January I realized the errors of the Mormon faith and was a Protestant.

But when I became Protestant during that time I was more of, "I know God exits, and Christianity is likely true, I need to know which Church to join" but I was confused, deeply. So after about 2 months, I disbelieved in Christ and became what I call "a thinking deist" where I think anyone reasonable would believe that God does exist, but disbelieves in any afterlife what-so-ever. I was this till about May when I became a Christian again, my father went to a convention and brought back religious books. So this was right around the time that school year had ended, I had pretty much 3 months of summer to have fun and do stuff. Well I had a period of time in June of thinking of becoming a Muslim, I heard Islam's claims to be the "truth", but I after awhile thought their claims were invalid and false presumptions due to them not studying history.

So going into July I had really looked into the Christian faith and believed Roman Catholicism was the truth, I agreed with them using what I considered "logical" ideas. I never went to a Catholic Service for the record. But a short time afterwards I became full-on Protestant, and by the time August came around I was a fundamentalist, but then I fell around various other views of new-age-Protestantism. I fell away from the Protestant faith last November and became a Christian Deist (I thought the Christian Faith had been distorted from Jesus original teachings).

So January comes around I start to think I never gave Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism a full chance, so I studied and originally leaned towards Eastern Orthodoxy but I learned about what happened at Fatima and the prophecies which were fulfilled and then sort of looked the early Church Fathers and saw that they mentioned the "Catholic Church" and I thought with mentioned things which Catholics believed and then I was sort of like "well they believe most of what the Catholics believe, why isn't this the truth then?". I got a book from the Library last week and it was essentially a Roman Catholic defense of their view on Mary, and I was convinced that they may have a point, but the father I got into the book the more I saw the book hint at the idea that some of their core views on Mary were first believed after the first few centuries. In the book it mentions briefly the view of Mary in Orthodoxy and I agree with the Orthodoxies view.

I hear that non-Roman Catholics say that Rome liberalized itself in the Second Vatican Council, it had to bring itself into modern times to escape judgements from non-Catholics about them being "old fashioned". I love old-fashioned, it means it follows the truth. But I now see how non-Catholics make the Second Vatican Council did in a way, liberalize the Church. But why I am at a crossroads is that the Roman Catholic Church claims all these prophetic messages appear to Catholics, and not other sects, and a lot of the time, the prophesies they see become real.  I also cannot accept what the majority of Roman Catholics accept as true about eschatology, I see myself as a futurist (or it will happen soon, and that events described during the end times has not fully happened yet).

So I have two questions...
First of all, I wish you all the blessings of the Lord in your search for His Church, and I will pray for you. My own journey is somewhat similar to yours Smiley

1) Why do Catholics receive the prophecies that mostly come true, and why don't Eastern Orthodox Christians get them? If the Eastern Orthodox does, why isn't it on a scale such as Fatima?
The Orthodox receive prophecies and miracles as well that are well-known in Orthodox lands. It's just that, in the Western World where Eastern Orthodoxy is only just beginning to establish a presence, Orthodox miracles, history, Saints and prophecies are largely unheard of. The Roman Catholic Church's happenings are far more prominent and better-known here, due to the overall greater historical importance and presence of the RCC.

2) If Catholic means Universal why didn't the Eastern Side take that name to their Church? Because the early Church Fathers wrote of the Catholic Church being the Church.
We ARE the "Orthodox Catholic Church," as NicholasMyra already noted. It's just that we're better known as the Eastern Orthodox Church, just as the Roman Church is better known as the Roman Catholic Church.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 02:07:50 PM »

it is very easy to be confused with so many religions around!
i would suggest you start by reading some books of the Bible, as the protestants, catholics and orthodox all agree that it is inspired by God.
did you read any of this yet?
if you have not, start with the book of matthew.

i suggest you read matthew, mark, luke and john before reading too much of what someone says about them.
then if you read orthodox or catholic commentaries about them, that is good (they are nearly the same).

most of us here are orthodox, so we think our commentaries are closer to the truth.
i recommend the 'orthodox study Bible'. it is published by EO church, but is accepted as well by lots of people in the OO church.
the orthodox study Bible is quite expensive so i am putting a free link below about Bible study:

http://evangelismcopticorthodox.org/images/HOLY_BIBLE.pdf
this is a group i am studying with (online) so i can personally recommend them.
i have met someone who knows the monk who wrote this article, and it looks like a good summary / introduction of the Bible. it is from the coptic orthodox church (OO).

don't worry about the differences between eastern orthodox (EO) and oriental orthodox (OO) at this stage.
it will just increase your confusion, and we are in the process of resolving our differences anyway.

what do your parent(s) believe? do you go to church?
may God guide you (He guides all who seek Him) and show you His love and peace.
jesusisthekey

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 02:26:40 PM »

it is very easy to be confused with so many religions around!
i would suggest you start by reading some books of the Bible, as the protestants, catholics and orthodox all agree that it is inspired by God.
did you read any of this yet?
if you have not, start with the book of matthew.

i suggest you read matthew, mark, luke and john before reading too much of what someone says about them.
then if you read orthodox or catholic commentaries about them, that is good (they are nearly the same).

most of us here are orthodox, so we think our commentaries are closer to the truth.
i recommend the 'orthodox study Bible'. it is published by EO church, but is accepted as well by lots of people in the OO church.
the orthodox study Bible is quite expensive so i am putting a free link below about Bible study:

http://evangelismcopticorthodox.org/images/HOLY_BIBLE.pdf
this is a group i am studying with (online) so i can personally recommend them.
i have met someone who knows the monk who wrote this article, and it looks like a good summary / introduction of the Bible. it is from the coptic orthodox church (OO).

don't worry about the differences between eastern orthodox (EO) and oriental orthodox (OO) at this stage.
it will just increase your confusion, and we are in the process of resolving our differences anyway.

what do your parent(s) believe? do you go to church?
may God guide you (He guides all who seek Him) and show you His love and peace.

Mother was raised Catholic, her mother (my grandmother) remained Catholic all her life, but her father (my grandfather) family came from Macedonia and his family was raised in a Macedonia Orthodox Church, he did not remain Orthodox though as an adult. My Mother I don't think would call herself a Catholic if anyone asked her what her religious beliefs were. I believe that she has a belief in a higher power.

Father was raised Lutheran, his family was Lutheran and remains Lutheran. My Dad beliefs in God, and think Jesus was God, but my Dad does not visit Church unless its for an event (marriage, funeral).

Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 11:58:12 PM »

My Answer:
1) Eastern Orthodox Christians do have prophecies and miracles on record but they tend to be more oriented to local placement and not publicized  world wide as is often done  in the RC Church who utilizes its huge monastic orders to publicsize its prophecy or propagate the visions which tend to justify and reinforce its dogmatic statements  (such as Immaculate Conception - Lourdes or the Conversion of Russia and the Rosary - Fatima).

Some Orthodox Saints who have done Miracles include Sts Demetrios, Nicholas of Myra, Nilus the Myrrh gusher,John of Kronstadt, John of Shanghai and San Francisco, George, Padraig,  Seraphim of Sarov.

You may wish to look at some of these more recent saints who have made prophecies:
St Seraphim Of Vyritsa (1866-1949)
Elder Alexis of the Zosima Hermitag
Saunt John of Kronstadt
St Seraphim of Sarov
Hieroschemamonk Aristocleus
Hieromonk Anatole the Younger & Elder Nectarius both from the Optina Monastery
Hieromonk Barnabas of the Gethsemane Skete
Archbishop Theophanes of Poltava
 Schema-Archimandrite Heliadarus
 Schema-Archimandrite Heliodorus of Glinsky Hermitage
St.John Maximovitch aka of Shanghai and san Francisco.

2) The official name of the of the Eastern Orthodox Church is "The Holy Orthodox Catholic Christian Church"
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:01:57 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 03:40:08 AM »

What does one of the revelations of Fatima, "Consecrate Russia to My Sacred Heart," mean?  I read that Pope John Paul I had intended to do this.  What is it?  How would he do that; how would he "Consecrate Russia to My Sacred Heart?"  (I don't understand the Roman Catholic devotion to the "Sacred Heart," either.)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 03:41:37 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 07:32:47 AM »

What does one of the revelations of Fatima, "Consecrate Russia to My Sacred Heart," mean?  I read that Pope John Paul I had intended to do this.  What is it?  How would he do that; how would he "Consecrate Russia to My Sacred Heart?"  (I don't understand the Roman Catholic devotion to the "Sacred Heart," either.)

Start a thread in the Orth-RC Discussion board.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags: Catholicism Fatima Mary history 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: