OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 09:18:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I wear the Brown Scapular  (Read 9452 times) Average Rating: 0
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2005, 10:33:01 AM »

Exactly!
"Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord's[f] body. For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep." 1 Corinthians 11:27-30

Thanks, that was the quotation I was thinking of but couldn't chapter'n'verse.

Proverbs 22:7
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2005, 02:04:30 PM »

What right do we have to accuse our own bishop of abomination?

Communing Protestants is wrong; we don't need to be bishops to know that.  I've seen "high church" Episcopalians denied their request for the Eucharist: why should Pentecostals be any different?   

I went out on a limb by saying he was maybe Pentecostal. I only said this because he was waving his hands in the air while speaking in tongs.

And you are probably guessing correctly.  Doesn't make anything better. 

Seemingly uutrageous circumstances sometimes call for seemingly outrageous exceptions.

I am privileged to know Hindus who radiate the love of Christ more than some Christians, including Orthodox Christians, even though they don't believe in Christ.  Can we give them Communion too? 

I can think of a few. Perhaps Bishop Makorios felt in his heart that the Protestant man's gift of speaking in tongs served as a sign that for that particular circumstance, for that particular celebration of the Divine Liturgy, God wanted him to receive the Holy Mysteries.

Sorry, that's not good enough. 

With all due respect to him, H.G. Mar Makarios has not been Metropolitan of America for a number of years now ("Senior Metropolitan" = "Metropolitan Emeritus").  Metropolitan of Canada and Europe, yes.  Now, if your parish has been incorporated into the latter diocese, or if the converts he brought into the Church depend directly on him (through some arrangement made by the Holy Synod), then I didn't know about that.  But he is not our bishop in America.   
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 02:05:33 PM by Mor Ephrem » Logged

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2005, 04:02:45 PM »

Billy Graham is teaching a false gospel. Are you just trying to be as ridiculous as possible?

Gregory

False Gospel? How so? When he visited communist Russia and and the hierarchy and members of the Russian Orthodox Church embraced him as a Christian leader, was it for his "false Gospel"?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 04:04:29 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2005, 09:19:16 AM »

With all due respect to him, H.G. Mar Makarios has not been Metropolitan of America for a number of years now ("Senior Metropolitan" = "Metropolitan Emeritus"). Metropolitan of Canada and Europe, yes. Now, if your parish has been incorporated into the latter diocese, or if the converts he brought into the Church depend directly on him (through some arrangement made by the Holy Synod), then I didn't know about that. But he is not our bishop in America.

Phil,

I notice that Matthew's parish is one of the four committed to the Mission Society of Saint Gregorios of India, which I believe His Grace Mar Makarios founded and which I know he brought to the US.  As the Society maintains a website that provides links to other non-Mission parishes but focuses on its own institutions, I wonder if there isn't some sort of canonical distinction accorded to those, whereby they continue under the omophor of His Grace.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2005, 03:48:37 PM »

Dear Neil,

I am unaware of the Mission Society being a canonical structure independent of the local diocese, but it is possible (hence the "disclaimer" in my earlier post). 

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2005, 04:52:03 PM »

I'm going to stop wearing the scapular as soon as I find a wooden tau cross to wear instead. Wink

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2005, 05:40:43 PM »

I stopped wearing the scapular and now I wear a Russian Orthodox crucifix that my parents gave me for my birthday. Smiley

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2005, 05:55:39 PM »

I stopped wearing the scapular and now I wear a Russian Orthodox crucifix that my parents gave me for my birthday. Smiley

Good. God bless you.

Check out my personal website with 130+ articles: www.anastasioshudson.com

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2005, 05:59:05 PM »

and your spirit.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2005, 01:09:57 AM »

I am curious about your sudden change of heart, why'd you decide to stop wearing it?

btw - Don't forget to have your new cross blessed!  Smiley

In Christ,
Aaron
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2005, 04:00:05 PM »

I am curious about your sudden change of heart, why'd you decide to stop wearing it?

I figured that since I do not hold the same beliefs associated with the scapular as those who originated it, there is no necessity for me to wear it.
Furthermore, I really dig the three-bar cross. Grin
It's not to wear something on my person that distinguishes me as an Orthodox Christian. This is not a pride issue but it is just good for the people of the country be reminded that there is an Orthodox community within it.

btw - Don't forget to have your new cross blessed!

Duly noted.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 04:02:31 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: