OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 23, 2014, 12:03:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UOC-MP approves use of Ukrainian officially  (Read 1894 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
NO TENURE FOR DEPONIO!!
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2013, 10:03:23 PM »

But going back to more examples, if I went to India and spoke English there I think it would be OK.

English is one of twenty-two or so official languages of the Republic of India. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2013, 10:05:26 PM »

I have heard a dialect spoken in a Pennsylvanian cathedral oh 7 yrs ago that neither I or the guy from Ukraine (western) could understand. Lots of the Slovak descendants here woukd speak to me in a language that sounded like.slovak meshed with sort of Ukrainian.  Most of that generation is gone now. They were fabulous people.

You likely heard the "Hutoratci"(sic) dialect spoken by Rusyns living in Saris and Zemplin counties, including the region's around the cities of Bardejev and Presov. You are right, they speak a heavily Slovak influenced Rusyn. Among themselves, the Transcarpathian Rusyns refered to the residents of the Slovak counties as "Slovaci". Transcarpathian Rusyn is clearly understood by Ukrainian speakers. Written Rusyn would be standardized though and could be read by Ukrainian speakers. It makes sense as one moves east from central Slovakia into Ukraine proper. The same occurs the further east you go as Russian influences color the Ukrainian spoken close to the Russian border.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2013, 10:22:22 PM »

It was rarely a problem for me in a personal way in the course of a month in Kiev and visiting a few places outside of it.

The main thing was my landlady and a similar person who was supervising me, and the bus situation. In another example I was at the Pechersk Lavra and I asked a random visitor for directions in Russian. He asked "Do you speak Ukrainian?" I said "Badly" in Russian. He repeated that to himself slowly and tensely. Then he gave me directions. (weird).
what do you expect??!? them to brighten with joy that you're a guest of ukraine speaking to ukrainians in the langauge of their former occupiers??

if you think you were treated bad try speaking russian to random people in lithuania, latvia, estonia - i hope you know how to fight if you try
Khello Зантрон. When I talk with American Indians I use English, when I talk with Irish I speak English, and when I talk with native people from Mexico I use Spanish. I think people should just understand that speaking a language does not make you offensive.

I am not sure it is right to call Russia the conqueror of Ukraine either, because much of Ukraine, like the Cossack region, developed together with Russia. In fact, some Cossacks were especially loyal to the Tsar. In fact, many OCA people did not have a particularly negative feeling about Russia when they emigrated to America.

But going back to more examples, if I went to India and spoke English there I think it would be OK. And even though Vietnam actually forced out the empires (unlike Ukraine where it was voluntary), I would be OK with speaking English or French and I assume Vietnamese would not have so much of an issue with my language per se.

Regarding Latvia and Estonia, if I had to talk to someone in English and they did not understand me, Yes I would talk in Russian. If I have to go to the bathroom for example I am hardly going to hold it for hours or try to signal to them with my hands what I mean because of nationalist ignorance.

The big inside joke is that depending on when your grandparents came to America you were either Russian, Slovak, "Hungrish", "Slavish", "Hunky" , Carpathian-Russian,  Rusyn or Ukrainian. You were either Greek Catholic, Orthodox, both or neither. You were Patriarchal Russians, ROCOR, Metropolia, OCA, Ruthenian Greek Catholic, UGCC, UOC or ACROD.  You all came from the same region, even some from the same villages. You fought like cats and dogs, you built five or six churches in the same coal or factory patch, you ate the same foods, sang the same Carols, told the same stories, married each other's sisters and daughters and fought like cats and dogs.

Today we get along and lift a glass to our ancestors and the "good old days."
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2013, 11:37:32 PM »

But going back to more examples, if I went to India and spoke English there I think it would be OK.

Yes. And Russian is one official language inside Ukraine, namely for the Crimean Region. It should be OK in their country for people to speak both Ukrainian and Russian.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 11:38:18 PM by rakovsky » Logged
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2013, 12:20:44 AM »

Yes. And Russian is one official language inside Ukraine, namely for the Crimean Region. It should be OK in their country for people to speak both Ukrainian and Russian.

I know many Ukrainians that can't speak Russian all.

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2013, 12:38:38 AM »

I believe you.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2013, 12:23:38 PM »

Same in Slovakia. People older than 35 were probably required to learn Russian in school in both countries, but few that I know will admit this - this includes Slovak and Ukrainian people.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2013, 12:27:35 PM »

The administrator of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church-Moscow Patriarchate, Metropolitan Antoniy of Boryspil, stated that the Ukrainian language can be used in the services in UOC-MP churches, reported ТSN.
http://risu.org.ua/en/index/all_news/orthodox/uoc/51223/

Slava Bohu!

Слава Богу!  ...per Mr.Google .....
Pan Google doesn't show his "h" instead of Gospodin's "g" that way.

True, but I didn't think all here would approve of "latinika".    Wink Of course as a good 'rusnak' I would never read a 'г' as a 'g', but that's just me.

I was astounded when my father told me that some folks read a 'г' as an 'h' as in Hospod instead of Gospod.  Cheesy

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: