OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 09:36:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patriarch Kyril of Moscow celebrates his Birthday  (Read 168 times) Average Rating: 0
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« on: November 21, 2013, 04:30:20 PM »

This is a sublime example of Russian choral singing, with Bortiansky's # 7 done the way the composer no doubt intended it.

November 20, 2013, the day of his birth, His Holiness Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Kirill along with a host of bishops and clergy of the Divine Liturgy at the Cathedral of Christ the Savior in  Moscow.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jehPIM_GTjc

Eis polla eti Despota! Mnohaja Lita, Vladyko!

For better or worse, the Church is something else - obviously pictures of this church and its style were known across east Europe in the magazines and prayerbooks circulated in the late 19th century as the immigrants from Russia, Austria Hungary and Poland who were either Orthodox or Greek Catholic 'aped' that style when building their earliest churches in America and Canada. Many of our babas had lithographic prints of the icons from this Church in their homes in ornate frames as well. I know that the purists, and they are correct, will tell us that the style is 'wrong' ,but it is what is is and I make no apologies for being attracted to it based on my own life's experiences. Would I agree to decorate a new church this way today? Of course not, but neither would I be a latter day style iconoclast and tear it all out.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 04:31:32 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 03:22:13 AM »

My only complaint is the depiction of God the Father! Didn't those Russians read St. John of Damascus!?  Grin

(I now resist to make any jokes about expensive things such as watches and a birthday)

And now I tell you, did you know Patriarch Kyril is a Monarchist?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on13YeXfp_4&feature=youtu.be&t=9m23s

Grin

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 12:18:29 PM »

Great post.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up