OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 04:11:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aquariums/Fish-Tanks  (Read 438 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: February 20, 2013, 04:56:52 PM »

I felt like creating a thread dedicated to aquariums and fish-tanks, so share any cool pictures of your fish tanks that you may have and discuss all things related to them here. For my birthday, I received a 5 gallon freshwater tank for my desk, and I wasn't sure what to put in it. Does anyone here have any recommendations for any cool, freshwater aquatic pets I could put in it that require minimal upkeep and won't kill everything else in the tank? I kind of wanted a few frogs or a crab to put in it.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 05:52:10 PM »

I felt like creating a thread dedicated to aquariums and fish-tanks, so share any cool pictures of your fish tanks that you may have and discuss all things related to them here. For my birthday, I received a 5 gallon freshwater tank for my desk, and I wasn't sure what to put in it. Does anyone here have any recommendations for any cool, freshwater aquatic pets I could put in it that require minimal upkeep and won't kill everything else in the tank? I kind of wanted a few frogs or a crab to put in it.

I don't have time for a full response but I'll be back.  Keep in mind that the rule of thumb is one inch of fish per one gallon of water.  Live plants take a good bit of maintenance but can be very beneficial in terms of chemical balance.

I would post pics but mine is horrible right now.  I need a new filter, the water is running low, and the plants need to be...well...maintained!
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 05:53:08 PM »

For my birthday, I received a 5 gallon freshwater tank for my desk, and I wasn't sure what to put in it.

Goldfish?

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
Nephi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Annie Och

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 06:21:23 PM »

You'll need to decide if you're going for warm (tropical) or cold water fish. Cold water fish don't require heaters. Warm water fish may require heaters depending on the fish and your environment. Like vamrat said, keep in mind that you're very limited with a 5 gallon tank - you don't want miserable fish that die off due to overcrowding or the tank being too small.

A 5 gallon would be great with a beta fish - they don't require water flow, like being solitary, and 5 gallons would be nice for them since you could include some decorations.

DON'T get guppies, or any other small livebearers... they'd quickly overpopulate.

I have a turtle/fish tank myself, I'll post soon with pictures and information on it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:23:56 PM by Nephi » Logged

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Nephi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 06:22:18 PM »

For my birthday, I received a 5 gallon freshwater tank for my desk, and I wasn't sure what to put in it.

Goldfish?

Please not goldfish - they'd live a miserable life and then die. They really need a much larger tank, or for someone to progressively upgrade tanks to match.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:22:24 PM by Nephi » Logged

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 06:23:16 PM »

Goldfish?

Please not goldfish - they'd live a miserable life and then die.

Well, then it's fish for dinner.

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 06:48:36 PM »

Goldfish?

Please not goldfish - they'd live a miserable life and then die. They really need a much larger tank, or for someone to progressively upgrade tanks to match.

This brings up the important point that the fish you see at the pet store tend to be very young and many of them will outgrow their environments quickly.  Gold fish get pretty big.

As you pointed out earlier, guppies (and mollies/platys) breed FAST!  If you have a big tank like my parents have, a small colony of guppies or mollies means you will never need to buy a fish again!

I like neon tetras for a small tank.  They are beautiful and are some of the smaller fish you can get.  They typically won't get much bigger than you see them in the pet store.  They are relatively hardy as far as tetras go.  If you want a cat fish (bottom feeder) be careful as the plecostomuses get up to a foot or longer.  Corydoras are some of the better fish for a small tank and sociable, but in a 5 gal they are probably too small.  Oto catfish would be your best bet.  Armoured and voracious consumers of algae, they don't get much more than an inch, though they are social and don't like to be too solitary.  Keeping them alive is a bit of a challenge, but if you can keep one alive for a few months it will last a few years.  Also, if you decide to go for neon tetras, they are both Amazonian so the water temp/chemicals will be consistent.

Also, I second any nominations for a Beta.  I love them.  They live in stagnant, crappy water in the wild.  They can actually partially breathe from the air and don't like flowing water.  If my neons die off, I'll probably keep an Oto or two at any given time and go for a beta like I had as a kid!  (And please please please, don't put a beta in one of those ridiculous little cups that they can't even move around in!  Also, avoid getting two at once unless you are a sadist.)
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 07:17:00 PM »

No!!!!  No goldfish!!!!  They grow fast, eat the other fish, and are "dirty"....can't keep the water clean.  NO goldfish.  Smiley

Beta fish are wonderful and smart.  I had a 10 gallon tank and put my beta in there with some other fish.  He did great.  No issues....just not another beta.

Tetras are "cute" and very pretty colors.  I also had an algae eater who had the greatest personality.

Speaking of personalities....your beta will have one.  He gets to know "you" and when a stranger walks in he will actually hide from them.  I love the betas....but, it's sad that they are sold in those ugly cups of blue water.  So humiliating for such a lovely fish.

If you get guppies, make sure there are no females mixed in, or you will have nothing but fish in your tank in a few weeks.  Besides, it's really sad watching the males constantly harass the females....the poor girls can't get a moment's peace. 

You can get heaters really cheap, and a good filter will last you forever, you'll just have to change out the filter.  I never did water changes....my water would simply evaporate and I would add more. 

Get an aerator...makes pretty bubbles and oxygenates the water.

It's a great hobby.

Just be sure, if you get live plants, there aren't any snails hiding on them.  UGH!@#!$!@!!!!!  I did that once.  I loved the plants and even the cute little snail was interesting....until I realized he could propagate all by himself...and before I knew it the whole tank was covered in these ugly little brown specks.  Seriously....in the thousands...and they messed the water up terribly!  They pooped all the time.  I tried getting rid of them.  Freaked the fish out by catching them....then washed all the decorations, left them to bake in the hot summer sun.  Rinsed the tank, bleached it....rinsed it and left it in the sun.  I got new pebbles, filled the whole thing back up....let the water cure....put the fish back....and in a month had about another 100 snails.  Yuck!!!  It only takes one.....

Have fun!!!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 07:19:02 PM »

I kind of wanted a wide variety of interesting little freshwater creatures for my tank--are there any species of little crabs or anything that are fully aquatic and can survive in my tank with maybe a couple of other small fish? Or, how about frogs? I had a tiny freshwater frog in a 1 gallon tank when I was a little kid, and it was pretty easy to care for.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:19:38 PM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Nephi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 07:23:38 PM »

I kind of wanted a wide variety of interesting little freshwater creatures for my tank--are there any species of little crabs or anything that are fully aquatic and can survive in my tank with maybe a couple of other small fish? Or, how about frogs? I had a tiny freshwater frog in a 1 gallon tank when I was a little kid, and it was pretty easy to care for.

I think you could go with maybe a small mystery/apple snail, a small frog (provided it doesn't get very big, I don't know much anything about them), and a beta or a couple other fish that stay small. Sadly a bit limited with 5 gallons.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:24:02 PM by Nephi » Logged

Nephi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 07:36:41 PM »

Here's my tank... I have a 20 gallon long, with a Red Eared Slider (turtle), a plecostomus, two female breeder guppies, and three goldfish. I have a Fluval U2 water filter, Aqueon water heater, heat lamp, and a UV lamp.

I've had this tank for about half a year so far. I bought the goldfish since my wife wanted them (unfortunately - they grow so fast), and a dozen guppies. There were guppy babies, deaths, and now done to two females. The slider's about 3 inches now, was about 1.5 when I got him, and his name is Sheldon (or Shelly if it turns out female). The goldfish especially are starting to outgrow the aquarium, and I'll be upgrading to a 55 gallon tank soon.

ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 12:27:59 AM »

I have a 20 gallon fish tank right now, and I've probably had fish for longer than James has been alive. Tongue

A 5 gallon tank isn't the best for variety. Get fish that don't prefer a strong current. Guppies or other live bearers aren't a problem if they are all of the same sex (males have little...er..."tools" on their bodies to distinguish them).

The problem with getting a betta fish is that you can't get any others. Two males won't get along, and other fish tend to pick on bettas.

Certain tetras might work out, but you have to be careful.

Try getting frogs or a small bottom feeder, too. Shrimp are also an option, but they probably shouldn't be mixed with frogs or bottom feeders unless the shrimp is big (can't think of a freshwater shrimp that is). Snails fit well with almost anything.

Talk to someone at your local pet store (or aquarium experts online) about chemicals and such.

My 20 gallon freshwater has 3 silver dollar tetras, 1 scissortail rasbora (other two have died--need to get more), two rainbow clouds, 4 rasbora hets., one cory, and one khuli loach.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 12:47:08 AM »

You'll need to decide if you're going for warm (tropical) or cold water fish. Cold water fish don't require heaters. Warm water fish may require heaters depending on the fish and your environment. Like vamrat said, keep in mind that you're very limited with a 5 gallon tank - you don't want miserable fish that die off due to overcrowding or the tank being too small.

A 5 gallon would be great with a beta fish - they don't require water flow, like being solitary, and 5 gallons would be nice for them since you could include some decorations.

DON'T get guppies, or any other small livebearers... they'd quickly overpopulate.

I have a turtle/fish tank myself, I'll post soon with pictures and information on it.

Or just get guppies and a female betta (they're a lot less aggressive) and your betta will enjoy having live food (baby guppies).
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 01:41:53 AM »

If you get bored...

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,35129.0.html

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
Ruprecht
Formerly Subdeacon Bob.C

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Church of  N.A.; New England Diocese

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 02:25:16 AM »

Don't forget: you must ensure that the tank is cared for when you are away for more than a day.  I had over 150 gallons total at one time... it was tough getting a fish sitter to come over and feed them, care for any water problems,etc. And it has to be someone you can trust in your house....... 
     But the rewards are true zen: calm, quiet, dropping blood pressure, etc.  Now we still have to worry about the dog, the cat, the bonsai trees, et al.  My wife suggests a robot dog, stuffed cat and plastic trees, or she will leave me. Gosh, I am going to miss her..... Cheesy Grin
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 02:41:34 AM »

Ha ha!  Cheesy

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 12:51:39 PM »

This thread is inspiring me.  I might pick up either a 10 or a 20 gallon in the near future.
ironchapman
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 03:25:32 AM »

This thread is inspiring me.  I might pick up either a 10 or a 20 gallon in the near future.

Go for 20. That's where the real fun starts. Smiley

Generally speaking, the bigger the tank, the less often it has to be cleaned, although regular cleaning is always advised.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 12:30:51 PM »

Go for 20. That's where the real fun starts. Smiley

Generally speaking, the bigger the tank, the less often it has to be cleaned, although regular cleaning is always advised.

The only debate in size for me is whether or not I have space to put it!  A 10 gal would easily fit in the space I have available.  I just need to get a chance when I'm not at work or it's snowing a dozenty inches to get down to the pet shop and check my measurements.

I need to go to walmart today to get a new windshield wiper (having those come off on the highway when people are sloshing snow sucks!) so I might check the sizes there.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 02:03:08 PM »

The rule I was generally told was one gallon per inch of fish. People tend to overcrowd their fish tanks. A five gallon tank is better than a fish bowl but don't try to cram too many in there. If you get a goldfish, get A goldfish and no more as it will be too crowded (some say you need 10 gallons per goldfish, though I believe they will not grow as large if kept in a smaller tank.) Also overfeeding is possibly the #1 killer of fish... causing digestive problems, polluting the water, etc. How often to feed will depend on the type. Goldfish only need a few times every week (not every day).

I haven't kept a fish tank in years and probably won't for a long time. I love having them but they are too delicate and the fussiness of keeping them (pH, temperature, ammonia levels, etc.) is too much of a strain on me.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 02:04:44 PM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 02:46:28 PM »

The rule I was generally told was one gallon per inch of fish. People tend to overcrowd their fish tanks. A five gallon tank is better than a fish bowl but don't try to cram too many in there. If you get a goldfish, get A goldfish and no more as it will be too crowded (some say you need 10 gallons per goldfish, though I believe they will not grow as large if kept in a smaller tank.) Also overfeeding is possibly the #1 killer of fish... causing digestive problems, polluting the water, etc. How often to feed will depend on the type. Goldfish only need a few times every week (not every day).

I haven't kept a fish tank in years and probably won't for a long time. I love having them but they are too delicate and the fussiness of keeping them (pH, temperature, ammonia levels, etc.) is too much of a strain on me.

The 1" of adult fish / gallon is a good rule of thumb.  There is some bending possible if you take into account whether they are top or bottom fish or what the nitrogen cycle is, but probably best not to get too fancy.  The most I had in my 5 gal was 8 - 5 neon tetras and 3 otos.  Otos are very fragile and I wanted to make sure at least one would be alive.  (One is, he's 3 years old as of this January).  Also, they say Neons can get up to an inch and a half.  My larges was just over an inch.  The rest were closer to 3/4".  The Otos, likewise.  Mine is three years old and I think he might be and inch but a lot of that is tail.  I'd say his body is 3/4"-1".

If I do a 20 gal that is probably the same mix of fish.  Perhaps two types of tetras at 20.  Otherwise at 10 I'll just go 3 otos and 7 neons and stick right at the 1"/gal ratio.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 03:12:34 PM »

I have been tempted all thread long to post a pic of the fish tanks from a certain TV series on AMC, but have hitherto been able to resist...  Cool

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
ironchapman
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 11:45:43 PM »

Anybody want to get one of these guys in their tanks?

http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/article/20130226/NEWS/130229916/1056&parentprofile=1056

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: