OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 03:30:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Multiverse  (Read 1204 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: February 08, 2013, 04:53:44 AM »

What are your thoughts on the scientific hypothesis of the multiverse/string theory? And what does it mean for Orthodoxy if it is true? Could there really be an alternative universe out there for every possible scenerio imaginable? I have to say, I find the notion that somewhere out there is a universe where I'm a few inches taller and all the girls like me to be quite comforting when I'm down (no pun intended)...

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 04:53:31 AM »

It's an interesting speculation, I'm not sure that it would have any significant impact on Orthodox belief/practice though--no more than, say, aliens visiting us or something.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 05:27:18 AM »

I find the notion that somewhere out there is a universe where I'm a few inches taller and all the girls like me

I can assure you this strains the credibility of even the most speculative of sci-fi.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 03:37:17 PM »

+1

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 04:22:10 PM »

I find the notion that somewhere out there is a universe where I'm a few inches taller and all the girls like me

I can assure you this strains the credibility of even the most speculative of sci-fi.

Psst! It's not your altitude. It's your attitude. Been short all my life, never had a problem with the fairer sex (until one or more became "the ex_")  Cheesy

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 04:38:15 PM »

Maybe one of those universes includes middle earth.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
choy
Archon

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 04:58:10 PM »

Maybe in one universe all the Orthodox Bishops are united under the Pope
choy
Archon

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »

Isn't a multiverse counter to the Will of God?  How could the universe have multiple varying existence?  Does it mean God's will is every possible possibility?  I thought there is only one truth?
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 05:59:21 PM »

Isn't a multiverse counter to the Will of God?  How could the universe have multiple varying existence?  Does it mean God's will is every possible possibility?  I thought there is only one truth?

We've been here before.

Multiverse is fanboi stupidity.

There cannot be more than ONE UNIverse. It's sorta the point of the UNIverse.

And it is non-falsifiable, so who cares. It also ruins sci-fi.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 06:00:44 PM »

We've been here before.

Not a Michael Moorcock fan?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 06:04:38 PM »

We've been here before.

How can this not go magnificently?

Haven't read his stuff (I almost have read nothing I critique, so that doesn't necessarily get in the way), but I think he mocks Tolkien, so that makes him at least halfway decent.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 06:11:10 PM »

We've been here before.

Haven't read his stuff (I almost have read nothing I critique, so that doesn't necessarily get in the way), but I think he mocks Tolkien, so that makes him at least halfway decent.

He has a fun article called "Starship Stormtroopers" which can be read here. I disagree with a great deal of what he says, but his skewering of right-wing sci-fi and fantasy is very enjoyable.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 06:13:35 PM »

I'm a Lovecraft fan, but I love his quote about Lovecraft:

"Lovecraft appeals to us primarily when we are ourselves feeling morbid. Apart from his offensively awful writing and a resultant inability to describe his horrors (leaving us to do the work -- the secret of his success: we're all better writers than he is!) he is rarely as frightening, by implication, as most of the other highly popular writers whose concerns are not with "meeping Things" but with idealised versions of society. "

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 06:14:05 PM »

We've been here before.

He has a fun article called "Starship Stormtroopers" which can be read here. I disagree with a great deal of what he says, but his skewering of right-wing sci-fi and fantasy is very enjoyable.

Thanks.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 06:14:29 PM »

We've been here before.

I stopped after the first couple sentences. This takes away from my enjoyable memories of the Elric books. Moorcock sounds like a jerk.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 06:15:50 PM »

Isn't a multiverse counter to the Will of God?  How could the universe have multiple varying existence?  Does it mean God's will is every possible possibility?  I thought there is only one truth?

We've been here before.

I just hate it when I agree with you...grrrrrr.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 06:22:23 PM »

Maybe in one universe all the Orthodox Bishops are united under with the Pope

Sorry, couldn't resist the slight edit.  Wink

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 09:45:50 AM »

We've been here before.

I stopped after the first couple sentences. This takes away from my enjoyable memories of the Elric books. Moorcock sounds like a jerk.

He goes after a lot of sacred cows and people who do that, no matter how much they're in the right, are sorely tempted to overstate the case. That said I honestly enjoy him at his most jerky moments.

From everything I've read/ heard Moorcock is a really nice guy in person.

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 07:47:52 PM »

" If Linde’s speculations [about the multiverse] are correct, perhaps we should translate the opening words of Genesis not as “In the beginning...,” but “In a beginning, God created heaven and earth.” In fact, this represents a more literal rendering of the original Hebrew: Be-Reshit: “In a beginning.” "

Matt, D. C. (2012). Kabbalah and contemporary cosmology: Discovering the resonance. Rosicrucian Digest 9, 2, p. 49.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 07:48:23 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 08:45:23 PM »

Notice the national geographic maps of the Northern sky and the Southern Sky whatever they could mean. (AT&T U-verse)  Wink
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 08:46:42 PM by WPM » Logged
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 09:14:51 PM »

These theories are necessary thrashings for explanation when no sensible explanation will do.

For example, string theory, for all the volumes and volumes of semi-related speculation that fall under that head, amounts at base to little more than a decision to treat mathematical points as measurable space between arbitrary limits ("strings"). Multiverse is not as coherent, and in fact many theories are masquerading under the name (including one published by a Christian philosophy professor at a college I briefly attended), but they all at base grasp after exceptions to universal material laws. Another "theory," or method of conducting mathematics, that is hoary with scientific respect by now and underlies much evolutionary modeling, transfinite numbers, is in nature quite similar.

All these are very titillating, at least to me, as I assume by the ridiculous strenuousness of the exertions with which theorists are willing to try to vault their problems that the problems must be most fascinating. I only wish I had mind and education to assess them.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
liefern

Faith: Catholic exploring Orthodoxy with serious intent
Jurisdiction: USA

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 10:47:58 PM »

The multiverse is an ecumenist's dream. Your truth, my truth, some other truth, truths unknown. I mean ecumenist in the flawed, modern sense, not the correct sense.
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 08:44:47 AM »

I can't stand it *crosses self* .... Lord have mercy on me a sinner....

I have to.... absolutely no self control here, please forgive!

String theory:  Job banished, cursed, in essence, removed a day.  If you look at time without thinkin linerally ... what would a missing day do? 

And if ther ARE multi-deminsions and we exist in a multiverse, wouldn't it be the ultimate joke on the evil one?  And if we consider that God is uncreated (and there is ABSOLUTELY no way science can prove an unmaterial, uncreated being by observing, weighing or calculating material ) and the angels are unseen ... and immaterial...then wouldn't it stand to reason that we are already a multiverse?  Or at the very least multidimensional?

If we are a multideminsional multiverse as James describes, on a faith level .... and time is actually broken then the rule of everything being simple and totally making sense in the grand scheme of eternity FITS. 

As redemption becomes not only His death on the Holy Cross, but an ACTIVE redemption.  'I' becomes I Am in the fullest sense...the complete sense with nothing missing.  Like the splinters and shards of a broken mirror reflecting the same many many times over suddenly becoming one (bride) mirror as it was one (bride) from the very beginning.

A multiverse represents a fragmented whole with the beginning of being a universe and the end being a universe.

And inbetween may be every good ... with nothing missing.  And every wrong completely redeemed.

And time - in the way it should be - when we are truly one again IS eternal.  This time is nothing more than a prison of death.  In eternal time there can be no material death.  It can't happen.

But first there has to be an understanding that there is a lot broken and what we perceive as the way things should be or are right...is far far far from it.

Forgive me

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2014, 09:14:43 AM »

I find the concept of String Theory (at least the small bits that I can understand) to be quite fascinating. It is my understanding that it may but doesn't necessarily include a multiverse concept.  I really hope the multiverse is not true; every movie or book I have read that included the concept of a multiverse was stupid and pointless.  Tongue

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2014, 09:17:07 AM »

Just because its mathematically possible to throw the materials to build a house into a tornado, and out comes a perfect house, does not mean that it has ever happened, nor ever will.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2014, 02:56:06 PM »

Just because its mathematically possible to throw the materials to build a house into a tornado, and out comes a perfect house, does not mean that it has ever happened, nor ever will.

PP

Yet such things are not mathematically possible, in traditional terms; thus the great use for the transfinite mathematics in some of our advanced probability theory these days.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2014, 09:56:47 AM »

PP

Yet such things are not mathematically possible, in traditional terms; thus the great use for the transfinite mathematics in some of our advanced probability theory these days.
Everything is possible mathematically, even if it an extremely small chance. The problem with most science is the thought that because it is possible, that means it exists somewhere or in some fashion. Case in point is the multiverse. There is no way to PROVE it exists, but because the bean-counters say its possible, it is treated as fact.

PP
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 09:57:08 AM by primuspilus » Logged

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2014, 10:38:13 AM »

PP

Everything is possible mathematically, even if it an extremely small chance. The problem with most science is the thought that because it is possible, that means it exists somewhere or in some fashion. Case in point is the multiverse. There is no way to PROVE it exists, but because the bean-counters say its possible, it is treated as fact.

PP

What is the "mathematical possibility" that, ceteris paribus, if I drop this laptop, it will fall up? I assume you are not saying merely that it can be notated. What is the "mathematical possibility" that God will sin? Yet for the popular understanding you've summarized contemporary science is directly to blame.

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2014, 10:42:24 AM »

PP

PP

What is the "mathematical possibility" that, ceteris paribus, if I drop this laptop, it will fall up? I assume you are not saying merely that it can be notated. What is the "mathematical possibility" that God will sin? Yet for the popular understanding you've summarized contemporary science is directly to blame.
There is no "up" in physics. If you mean by "up" to mean "away from the gravitational center", then it is exceedingly remote. Of course, discussing a theoretical construct like a multiverse is different than discussing observable data.

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2014, 10:49:41 AM »

PP

PP

There is no "up" in physics. If you mean by "up" to mean "away from the gravitational center", then it is exceedingly remote. Of course, discussing a theoretical construct like a multiverse is different than discussing observable data.

We've strayed a little from the topic. Still, surely you're not saying probability science should have no kind of connection to "observable data."

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2014, 10:52:36 AM »

Oh and this:

... it is exceedingly remote.

No, it is impossible.

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2014, 11:08:19 AM »

The multiverse is a mathematical construct based on probabilities. A hypothesis. We have no observable data of its existance.  Before it can be considered anything beyond a hypothesis, there must be actual empirical evidence of its existance.  Think back to the Higgs bosun, its existance was a hypothesis based on mathematical constructs. Eventually, they were able to confirm its actual existance through empirical testing.  I am not saying a multiverse exists, on the contrary, I am exceedingly doubtful of it, but before we can discuss why it is questionable, it is important to understand how it is postulated.

It is not impossible. An object moving away from a gravitational center can occur any time another force acts upon it that is greater than the gravitational pull on it.  The vast number of times that a laptop is dropped, it will fall towards the gravitational center, but if you were sitting under an electro-magnet, it would move it in the opposite direction. If you were already at the center of the gravitational center, your laptop would hover in space without moving in any direction. Exterior forces act on all matter constantly, and there is always a remote possiblity that those exterior forces could be such that your laptop could move "up".

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2014, 11:22:45 AM »

Ceteris paribus Roll Eyes

And, as I said, we were no longer talking about multiple universes.

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2014, 01:06:41 PM »

Here is a map of DC's multiverse for your enjoynment.

The original image is 2400x1880, so you can download for details.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2014, 02:19:07 PM »

PP

You're assuming our universe or Earth is a "perfect house" when in reality terms like "perfect" are merely manmade and subjective. The universe and Earth just are. They are not perfect and they are not imperfect. You cannot logically personify the natural world, unless you want to be like polytheists. The way our Earth and Universe are is merely one way our of millions that it just as easily could have been. It's like drawing a card from the deck and being amazed that you got the Ace. While it's cool at first, in reality, there is nothing unique about it. The only reason the Ace carries any value is because we've ascribed value to it, and we just as easily could have drawn the 6 or Jack card. Same with our universe and Earth. If it were different, we'd say that that was "perfect" and "unique" too. This argument gets even stupider when people being intelligent design into it--the universe is intelligently designed because God did it; God did it so it's intelligently designed. It's a circular argument.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2014, 02:35:10 PM »

Perhaps, but your deck of cards analogy fails. When pulling from a deck of cards, you have a 1 in 13 chance of getting an Ace. You know they exist within the deck. Even if you put together 1 million decks of cards and took out all the Aces but one, there is still a defined chance that an Ace can be pulled. That is probability.

In the universe, you have a distinct, incomprehensibly ordered universe that consistently abides by rules and mathematical constants. It doesn't need to do that; if things were different, we wouldn't be saying that it is "perfect or unique", we wouldn't be saying anything because we wouldn't exist. There are thousands of factors with literally infinite number of variables that would cause not just the world to be different, but the very fabric of the universe to be different and cause non-existance.

The solution put forward to understand why this is the case is to posit that there are an infinite number of universes. That is like owning the Ace of Spades and postulating an infinite number of different cards in the deck. I'm not a believer in the intelligent design movement, but if you think that it is any more "scientific" than postulating an infinite number of universes, I've got a quantum bridge in brooklyn to sell you.

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2014, 03:26:30 PM »

PP

You're assuming our universe or Earth is a "perfect house" when in reality terms like "perfect" are merely manmade and subjective. The universe and Earth just are. They are not perfect and they are not imperfect. You cannot logically personify the natural world, unless you want to be like polytheists. The way our Earth and Universe are is merely one way our of millions that it just as easily could have been. It's like drawing a card from the deck and being amazed that you got the Ace. While it's cool at first, in reality, there is nothing unique about it. The only reason the Ace carries any value is because we've ascribed value to it, and we just as easily could have drawn the 6 or Jack card. Same with our universe and Earth. If it were different, we'd say that that was "perfect" and "unique" too. This argument gets even stupider when people being intelligent design into it--the universe is intelligently designed because God did it; God did it so it's intelligently designed. It's a circular argument.

If in a truly random system you picked the Ace one million times in a row, that would suggest that although the system has the potential to be random, something is tinkering with it.

The fact that in a universe that is intrinsically chaotic there are laws of physics and mathematics is the first big hint that it is not just a matter of us being a particular state of chaos analysing other forms of chaos in a biased way.

The curious thing is that humankind did start seeing the world around us as sheer chaos to be feared and appeased. Then philosophers glimpsed some order in chaos - and that is why you had to know geometry "Only he who is familiar with geometry shall be admitted here". With the increase of complexity in the knowledge of this order matter could be analysed more closely. And when we observe creation in its intrinsic selfness we observe that it is... almost nothing, just a foam of possibilities. When we observe large scales it also dissolves into paradoxes.

What we learn from that is that the physical universe does not have an essence of its own, being just chance that, yet, despite all that, acquires form and repeated form. There is a logos that orders all that quantic chaos. It is "just" mathematical in most cases but at least in one case it is far more than that. As C.S. Lewis said, the only phenomena of nature that we can look from inside is ourselves. And we see consciousness, feelings, morality, aesthetics and life. It is clearly a different form of ordering than the mere mathematical of the rest of matter around us. A kind of.... logos.

So, the more particle-accelerators spend billions to confirm what pre-civilizational savages already knew, that the cosmos is intrinsically chaos, the more the Greek and Judaic insights that the fact that there is a ace of order being repeatedly drawn from the deck, suggests that there is something, no, someONE, out there.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Godspell
Arch-layman

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2014, 05:57:31 PM »

What are your thoughts on the scientific hypothesis of the multiverse/string theory? And what does it mean for Orthodoxy if it is true? Could there really be an alternative universe out there for every possible scenerio imaginable? I have to say, I find the notion that somewhere out there is a universe where I'm a few inches taller and all the girls like me to be quite comforting when I'm down (no pun intended)...

Interesting thing about the multi verse is that I believe it is inherently untestable and therefore unscientific. If we could test it, then it would not be an alternate universe but actually part of our own.

Basically, I am supremely confident that this world will pass away long before we could conceivably break light speed and escape this universe. These hypotheses are simply so completely out of our realm of capacity to test that it is almost useless to speculate. They say 96% of this universe is made of something that we don't know what it is. Let alone the presence of other universes.

Just as the thought of fire does not warm the body, so faith without love does not actualize the light of spiritual knowledge in the soul.

Just as the light of the sun attracts a healthy eye, so through love knowledge of God naturally draws to itself the pure intellect.

– St Maximos
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2014, 06:05:49 PM »

Interesting thing about the multi verse is that I believe it is inherently untestable and therefore unscientific.
The multiverse hypothesis is testable. If there is a multiverse, then there are certain conditions that should be true of our universe.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Godspell
Arch-layman

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2014, 06:13:25 PM »

Interesting thing about the multi verse is that I believe it is inherently untestable and therefore unscientific.
The multiverse hypothesis is testable. If there is a multiverse, then there are certain conditions that should be true of our universe.

I have to admit, I'm not an astrophysicist but as I understand it there is no 'space' outside of our our universe, and so there is no medium for some alternate universe to interact with us through. If it is possible for that to happen I would simply proposed calling this 'multiverse' the universe. Tongue

Just as the thought of fire does not warm the body, so faith without love does not actualize the light of spiritual knowledge in the soul.

Just as the light of the sun attracts a healthy eye, so through love knowledge of God naturally draws to itself the pure intellect.

– St Maximos
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2014, 06:20:26 PM »

Even with what they are saying there, I can't see how a multiverse rises above the concept of hypothesis. I'm not sure how it would be possible to obtain any direct empirical data on a system which by definition resides outside of our ability to observe it.

Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2014, 06:23:23 PM »

Would there ever be a way to make contact with another universe?
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2014, 06:39:54 PM »

... universe that is intrinsically chaotic ...

What do you mean by this? That is, by what definition could this possibly be true?

Godspell
Arch-layman

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2014, 06:41:59 PM »

I have heard it speculated that wormholes could potentially connect parallel universes. The problems with this, however, is that we have observed black holes but not their counterparts, so it is still at this point conjecture.

– St Maximos
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2014, 08:25:02 PM »

I have heard it speculated that wormholes could potentially connect parallel universes. The problems with this, however, is that we have observed black holes but not their counterparts, so it is still at this point conjecture.
I think the counterpart of a black hole would be the hypothetical white hole (from which matter and energy can escape, but not enter).

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: