OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 10:40:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What did the Donatists do that was so heretical?  (Read 481 times) Average Rating: 0
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« on: August 25, 2014, 01:06:12 PM »

I'm reading several books on the Donatists, who are declared heretics by the RC & EO church.

I'll give a brief summary (to save fingers) of what I can tell went down.  (sorry if my description sounds blunt, this is a question not a finger point)

1. Emperor Diocletian persecuted the Church.
2. Church leaders & bishops handed over their scriptures as a sign of loyalty to the emperor and betrayed their brothers in Christ by ratting out who else had scriptures.  The scriptures were burned in public.
3. The Donatists (named after Bishop Donatus Magnus) refused to give up their scriptures despite persecution.
4. The Donatists labeled those who gave up their scriptures as traitors ("traditores" - those who handed over sacred things).
5. The Donatists held to church tradition and the scriptures (as far as I can tell), and considered the sacraments by those who gave up their scriptures to save their skin as invalid.
6. Constantine restored the "traitors/traditores" positions.
7. Donatists get labeled heretics.

(There's more but that's what I've gotten in summary thus far)

The question exists that if a bishop gives up the scriptures to save his skin, why wouldn't he be considered an invalid bishop?  If a bishop "rats out" people in his church with the scriptures, he's basically condemned members of his flock. (so it seems)

How could the Donatist argument be invalid to reject the sacraments of these bishops?

Later it looks like Constantine gave money & bought up churches of the "traditores" bishops.  The Donatists appealed for the same treatment and were rejected.

Donatists continued to stand on the ground that the Catholic bishops were traditores and refused to acknowledge their sacraments.

In 409, Marcellinus of Carthage, Emperor Honorius's secretary of state decreed the Donatists as heretical and demanded they give up their churches - because Constantine chose the Catholic church.

Then the Donatists were harshly persecuted by Roman Authorities.

So what I see is that the group who refused to give into persecution and threat, held true to the scriptures and kept them.   They rejected those who did.  (as Christ rejects those who deny him before his father).  The governing and rich powers empowered the traitors and condemned those who did not throw out the scriptures.   With money, power, and police strength, they crushed the Donatists and they are forever declared heretics.

Is there some history I am missing here?   I'm trying to find a real theological reason of their condemnation (based on pure theology) of why they were declared heretics?  Their beliefs were in check with the church.  Was all they really did was not recognize bishops who handed over their scriptures and ratted out their flocks to save their own skin?

If there is more based on theology, please let me know.   I'm just reading several history books and I'm sort of scratching my head.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 01:10:04 PM »

The Donatists refused to forgive anyone who succumbed to persecution and sinned.  Since it is pretty obvious that Christ is a big advocate of forgiveness and forgiving others, to refuse it to our Christian brothers is a grave sin and the teaching of the refusal of forgiveness is heresy.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 01:17:15 PM »

The Donatists refused to forgive anyone who succumbed to persecution and sinned.  Since it is pretty obvious that Christ is a big advocate of forgiveness and forgiving others, to refuse it to our Christian brothers is a grave sin and the teaching of the refusal of forgiveness is heresy.

This was the big one that I can see.  Specifically they seemed to have denied the effectiveness of Confession (and Absolution) for the Traditors and this is a big no no.  I don't think that anyone was saying that turning over the scriptures to agents of Diocletian in a show of loyalty to the emperor was a good thing, just that people fall short and if they were repentant they should not be cut off from the Sacraments.  (You wicked servant, I forgave you much and you could not forgive your fellow servant little so let him be bound and turned over to the torturers...this week's Gospel, heavily paraphrased.)

Their second crime was rabble rousing.  This was a secular crime but one that Constantine never took lightly. 
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 01:21:34 PM »

It wasn't as if all of the bishops who hadn't given up the faith became donatists. Those who preserved their faith were the first to desire to reconcile those who had succumbed to persecution because they were Christian. The Donatists were a rigorist, exclusivist, and heretical minority.

Ελέησον με, ο Θεός, κατά το μέγα έλεος σου και κατά το πλήθος των οικτιρμών σου εξάλειψον το ανόμημα μου.

Αναστάς ο Ιησούς από του τάφου, καθώς προείπεν, έδωκεν ημίν την αιώνιον ζωήν και το μέγα έλεος.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 01:23:53 PM »

I'm reading several books on the Donatists, who are declared heretics by the RC & EO church.

I'll give a brief summary (to save fingers) of what I can tell went down.  (sorry if my description sounds blunt, this is a question not a finger point)

1. Emperor Diocletian persecuted the Church.
2. Church leaders & bishops handed over their scriptures as a sign of loyalty to the emperor and betrayed their brothers in Christ by ratting out who else had scriptures.  The scriptures were burned in public.
3. The Donatists (named after Bishop Donatus Magnus) refused to give up their scriptures despite persecution.
4. The Donatists labeled those who gave up their scriptures as traitors ("traditores" - those who handed over sacred things).
5. The Donatists held to church tradition and the scriptures (as far as I can tell), and considered the sacraments by those who gave up their scriptures to save their skin as invalid.
6. Constantine restored the "traitors/traditores" positions.
7. Donatists get labeled heretics.
The Donatists did nothing wrong by following what you list in Points 3 & 4 above. Where they went wrong and rightly earned our condemnation as heretics is in Point 5. The Church teaches that the sacraments are the work of God within the Church and not the work of man. Therefore, the grace of the sacraments cannot be nullified by the personal unrighteousness of the celebrant dispensing those sacraments.

(There's more but that's what I've gotten in summary thus far)

The question exists that if a bishop gives up the scriptures to save his skin, why wouldn't he be considered an invalid bishop?  If a bishop "rats out" people in his church with the scriptures, he's basically condemned members of his flock. (so it seems)
Even the Church follows what can be called due process. Unless a bishop leaves the Church never to return again, a bishop does not depose himself by his own sins. He must stand trial before a jury of his peers--in this case, his local synod--and be convicted and deposed by the jury. There is no concept of a de facto deposition in the Church.

How could the Donatist argument be invalid to reject the sacraments of these bishops?
Due process, as I described above. When a bishop is deposed and excommunicated by his peers, then and only then is he recognized as outside the Church and his sacraments invalid. Until then, he is still a bishop of the Church of Christ, and the sacraments he dispenses are still recognized as the grace-filled sacraments of Christ and His Church.

Later it looks like Constantine gave money & bought up churches of the "traditores" bishops.  The Donatists appealed for the same treatment and were rejected.

Donatists continued to stand on the ground that the Catholic bishops were traditores and refused to acknowledge their sacraments.

In 409, Marcellinus of Carthage, Emperor Honorius's secretary of state decreed the Donatists as heretical and demanded they give up their churches - because Constantine chose the Catholic church.

So what I see is that the group who refused to give into persecution and threat, held true to the scriptures and kept them.   They rejected those who did.  (as Christ rejects those who deny him before his father).  The governing and rich powers empowered the traitors and condemned those who did not throw out the scriptures.   With money, power, and police strength, they crushed the Donatists and they are forever declared heretics.

Is there some history I am missing here?   I'm trying to find a real theological reason of their condemnation (based on pure theology) of why they were declared heretics?  Their beliefs were in check with the church.  Was all they really did was not recognize bishops who handed over their scriptures and ratted out their flocks to save their own skin?

If there is more based on theology, please let me know.   I'm just reading several history books and I'm sort of scratching my head.
What history books are you reading?
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 01:28:28 PM »

Ones that claim the Donatists were just another true Christian sect that was stamped out by the evil Catholic Church and it's Lord Constantine in a mission to deprive people of Christ, maybe?  Tongue

Ελέησον με, ο Θεός, κατά το μέγα έλεος σου και κατά το πλήθος των οικτιρμών σου εξάλειψον το ανόμημα μου.

Αναστάς ο Ιησούς από του τάφου, καθώς προείπεν, έδωκεν ημίν την αιώνιον ζωήν και το μέγα έλεος.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 01:46:06 PM »

Ones that claim the Donatists were just another true Christian sect that was stamped out by the evil Catholic Church and it's Lord Constantine in a mission to deprive people of Christ, maybe?  Tongue

I am reading several but the main two are:

The Donatist Church by W.H.C. Frend
Donatist Martyr Stories by Maureen A.

Also I'm reading some excerpts from some EO books that speak of the heresy in general.

To me it looks more like a schism issue more so than a theological one (like in heresy).     I'm trying to find out how much of the Christian church was actually Donatists because the group actually seemed pretty large and wide spread.

I can see the forgiveness being an issue, but the nature of a bishop all together is to protect the flock so I don't really know where to go from there.

But it seems to be a schism issue more so than the heretic labeled applied from what I can gather.  While one group would not forgive the giving up of holy things to save their skin, the other group attacked them physically and took their churches and declared them heretics (rather than forgiving for them not forgiving).

Huh

It's not like there was a theological dispute on the fundamentals of god or the church it seems.  Heretic seems like a funky label... I just feel I'm missing some detail here that I can't find.  LOL it's frustrating.

Hawkeye
Onomatodoxicologist
High Elder

Faith: With a schismatic twist.
Jurisdiction: An Old Rite soglasie

My great-grandmother, the elderly nun Verena

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 01:53:21 PM »

Later it looks like Constantine gave money & bought up churches of the "traditores" bishops.  The Donatists appealed for the same treatment and were rejected.

After most of the Church had turned against them, they appealed to the Emperor to settle the dispute. After a thorough inquiry, the Emperor decided they were in the wrong, a rejection they couldn't handle.

Not that it justifies anything but Donatists had their own authorities attempt persecutions decades before. For example, in the 370's, the Roman usurper Firmus, who supported the Donatists, ordered the slaughter of their opponents in the city of Rusuccuru.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 01:58:00 PM by Hawkeye » Logged

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 01:58:28 PM »

Also I'm reading some excerpts from some EO books that speak of the heresy in general.

"Maureen A."?  You're reading books by people who won't even attach their surnames to their "scholarship"?  LOL.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 01:58:53 PM »

To me it looks more like a schism issue more so than a theological one (like in heresy).     I'm trying to find out how much of the Christian church was actually Donatists because the group actually seemed pretty large and wide spread.

I can see the forgiveness being an issue, but the nature of a bishop all together is to protect the flock so I don't really know where to go from there.

But it seems to be a schism issue more so than the heretic labeled applied from what I can gather.  While one group would not forgive the giving up of holy things to save their skin, the other group attacked them physically and took their churches and declared them heretics (rather than forgiving for them not forgiving).

Huh

It's not like there was a theological dispute on the fundamentals of god or the church it seems.  Heretic seems like a funky label... I just feel I'm missing some detail here that I can't find.  LOL it's frustrating.
My understanding is that they were only in North Africa, primarily in the area of modern day Tunisia. I think the fact that they specifically denied one of Christ's main teachings - the importance of forgiveness, demonstrates that it wasn't just a matter of schism, it was a matter of fundamental Christian belief.  How can you have Christianity without forgiveness?

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 11:43:34 PM »

"Maureen A."?  You're reading books by people who won't even attach their surnames to their "scholarship"?  LOL.

LOL
Maureen A. Tilley

I think the phone rang while I was typing. Wink

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 11:56:19 PM »

Huh

My understanding is that they were only in North Africa, primarily in the area of modern day Tunisia. I think the fact that they specifically denied one of Christ's main teachings - the importance of forgiveness, demonstrates that it wasn't just a matter of schism, it was a matter of fundamental Christian belief.  How can you have Christianity without forgiveness?

I agree, you must have forgiveness in Christianity.

This next statement may sound awkward but - how does sin equate to the heretic label?

Their beliefs coincided exactly on the same fundamentals.  Same beliefs in the trinity, communion, etc.   

So the Donatists would not forgive the traitores, and he traitores would not forgive the Donatists for not forgiving and took their churches.  Undecided

Despite the sin, which of course, is wrong and heretical in itself - I'm having trouble understanding why they are labeled heretics rather than schismatics or the like.  If their crime was sin, sin it is (not forgiving).  But isn't the term "heretic" imposed within the EO church on those who teach spiritual or doctrinal heresies that do not coincide with the church?  In this case the church did not seem to forgive them either and attacked them as well.   If sin is what embellishes heresy, it just seems ironic.

In this case it seems as though there were stubborn folks on each side, and just appears to be a schism rather than theological difference.

If this were the case, then whether it be schism or heretic, all non-world EO would really be heretics seemingly as the Donatists as they break because they can't recognize certain practices within world EO.

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

And primitivist Platonist patrologist poseur

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 12:07:12 AM »

There would seem to me to be a subtle practical problem (but of course theological too) with Donatism, Catharism (the severe "angelic" sort), Anabaptism (the J. Amman sort), and some others, in that a consequence of what they taught seems to me to be that, in the end, hardly anybody can be Christian. Not everyone is called to be a special theophoros -- yet God does love and intend to save all mankind, and paradise was (and will be) an abode intended for mortal man and not for, say, the cherubim. Of course this is a theological problem too, as I said, and reflects on the nature of God, his bearing toward man, and much else -- I leave that to illumined and educated posters.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 12:42:45 AM »

...all non-world EO would really be heretics seemingly as the Donatists as they break because they can't recognize certain practices within world EO.

Pretty much, yes. There's a difference in that Donatists were personally responsible for the schism as they willingly separated themselves from the church due to a heresy they invented and hoped for others to do that too. That's not the case with most of the non-EOs. The first RCs might be heretics but not most of people who live today day. They just believe in what they've inherited.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 12:44:04 AM by Alpo » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 01:06:07 AM »

That makes sense. But of course then why not extend forgiveness to the Donatists?

I may be very naïve, but I can't help to think that we may all be surprised by some of the heretics we see in heaven.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 01:38:20 AM »

That makes sense. But of course then why not extend forgiveness to the Donatists?

Because they did not repent of their error, as the people who they had denied forgiveness to did.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 01:50:28 AM »

Because they did not repent of their error, as the people who they had denied forgiveness to did.

OK. Thank you.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 03:24:03 AM »

I may be very naïve, but I can't help to think that we may all be surprised by some of the heretics we see in heaven.

Selam

That sounds like the mainstream Orthodox position always and everywhere.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 12:05:48 PM »

OK. Thank you.

Selam

Did the church repent of not forgiving & attacking the Donatists though?

TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 12:19:21 PM »

OK. Thank you.

Selam

The Church disciplined them. It was the government who attacked the Donatists. The Church does not need to repent of disciplining the wayward.

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 12:53:59 PM »

OK. Thank you.

Selam

The Church disciplined them. It was the government who attacked the Donatists. The Church does not need to repent of disciplining the wayward.

A little harsh. I'm sure the time and situation were most poignant and difficult, for both sides. Let our attitude not borrow the troubles of other times when we have been given troubles aplenty of our own time.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 01:32:34 PM »

Jesus said to him, “Truly, I tell you, this very night, before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times.”

I seem to recall something about this...it happened to someone kind of important.......

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 01:36:22 PM »

There would seem to me to be a subtle practical problem (but of course theological too) with Donatism, Catharism (the severe "angelic" sort), Anabaptism (the J. Amman sort), and some others, in that a consequence of what they taught seems to me to be that, in the end, hardly anybody can be Christian. Not everyone is called to be a special theophoros -- yet God does love and intend to save all mankind, and paradise was (and will be) an abode intended for mortal man and not for, say, the cherubim. Of course this is a theological problem too, as I said, and reflects on the nature of God, his bearing toward man, and much else -- I leave that to illumined and educated posters.
Sorry to tell you but you just outed yourself as an "illuminated and educated" poster. I loved the way you phrased the main objection to these heresies.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2014, 02:41:04 PM »

OK. Thank you.

Selam

A little harsh. I'm sure the time and situation were most poignant and difficult, for both sides. Let our attitude not borrow the troubles of other times when we have been given troubles aplenty of our own time.
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying I am being a little harsh?  I certainly didn't intend to be. The Church was quite polemical against the Donatists, but the Church was not the one that advocated their persecution, the Church desired that they would reconcile themselves to the Church. The government, on the other hand, was much more heavy handed, and that is quite regrettable. All that being said, I don't believe the Church needs to apologize for its responses to the Donatists. It needed to be rebuked and it was.

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2014, 02:50:20 PM »

Yes I meant your post.

TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2014, 03:13:26 PM »

Yes I meant your post.
Can you elaborate?  What about it was harsh?  Huh

recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2014, 03:56:08 PM »

The Donatists existed as  scismatic rivals to the Orthodox for generations. St. Augustine of Hippo debated a rival Donatist bishop & swayed many back to Orthodoxy; their numbers dwindled by the jihad conquest & faded out.

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Donatism

The Donatists schism grew until, by 350, they outnumbered the Orthodox in north Africa. Each city had both an Orthodox and a Donatist bishop. The tide did not turn against the Donatists until the fifth century when St. Augustine in his writings and debates with Donatist bishops in Carthage strongly challenged their position. The Donatist movement then waned greatly, and they completely disappeared under the force of the Muslim conquests of the seventh century.

Antiochian OC N.A.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2014, 03:56:30 PM »

It seems like the Church of Carthage often produced extreme attitudes beginning with Tertullian.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 04:11:03 PM by recent convert » Logged

Antiochian OC N.A.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2014, 05:06:02 PM »

Donatists did plenty of their own rioting, kidnapping, and religiously-motivated murdering. In many places, they held the upper-hand, so they would take up cudgel and spear against the Catholics. They even assaulted St. Augustine himself.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 05:06:30 PM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2014, 05:11:12 PM »

Donatists did plenty of their own rioting, kidnapping, and religiously-motivated murdering. In many places, they held the upper-hand, so they would take up cudgel and spear against the Catholics. They even assaulted St. Augustine himself.

But that's not a big deal.  It's only a big deal the other way around. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
kelly
Dissipation Nation
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2014, 05:12:44 PM »

Well obviously the Catholics deserved it. Have you not read Martyrs MirrorRoll Eyes

Yes, this is sarcasm.

The Venerable Kelly of the OC.net internet caves
Leave her alone, she's perfect.
Ekdikos
Warned
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Serbia - Diocese of Banja Luka

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2014, 07:49:19 PM »

Some of groups were so desperate for martyrdom that they would attack soldiers, traders, or just simple passangers... just to get those to kill them... I suppose Church should repent for this?

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2014, 09:01:20 PM »

Yes I meant your post.

The -- sentences in it? Obviously, I didn't expect you to agree; you're the one who made it.

TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: Yesterday at 08:32:02 AM »

Yes I meant your post.

The -- sentences in it? Obviously, I didn't expect you to agree; you're the one who made it.
Oh.  I'm sorry.  Usually your posts do a better job of explaining the point your getting at and encourage a reasonable discussion.  Apparently this is not one of those times.  Roll Eyes

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 03:04:20 PM »

Yes I meant your post.

Oh.  I'm sorry.  Usually your posts do a better job of explaining the point your getting at and encourage a reasonable discussion.  Apparently this is not one of those times.  Roll Eyes

Undecided Cry

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: