OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 01:15:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to say....?  (Read 109 times) Average Rating: 0
Raylight
OC.net guru

Former conservative, currently liberal.

« on: September 03, 2014, 05:29:02 PM »

Hi.

Need to remind you guys that English is not a native language of mine. Sorry for the misspellings.

Friend of mine who is kind of Agnostic. When we talked about something has to do with religion ( PS: I talk about religion so often with my friends, not to evangelize, but just discussions, but many western friends say to me " religion is private thing, here in the west we don't talk about religion " ). He said that he is a Christian. I was kind of surprised because I never thought he was Christian. Then he at the same time said that " ...but I don't believe that Christ was the Son of God..." , and doesn't really think about God that much. I wanted to say to him that he is wrong and if he will insist on rejecting Christ as the Son of God, he really is not Christian in the first place. But at the same time I was kind of worried to say that and to sound maybe dogmatic or to push him over the edge. So I decided to stay silent.

I wasn't and I'm not interested in "evangelizing" him. I just wanted to correct him and let him know that there are things you MUST believe in in order to be called Christian, but at the same time I didn't want to go into argument or to kill the last chance for him to get closet to Christianity.

What would you do ? Would you say it as it is or would you just keep silent ?

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 05:37:12 PM »

... I just wanted to correct him and let him know that there are things you MUST believe in in order to be called Christian ...

While you are right -- unfortunately, your friend also is right that there's not much one must claim or do to be Christian anymore. Just tell him clearly and simply what you think, and point out that what you think is still held by Orthodox Christians and some other very large churches. If you don't want to argue, don't.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 06:34:11 PM »

Say whatever you want (Free Speech) Free to believe whatever you want (Freedom of Religion) ...
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 07:01:53 PM »

Porter is right.  I cannot think of specific Churches that think that way, but with the Jesus Seminar and other writings of intellectuals, one might believe that.  If he is a good friend, perhaps invite him to Liturgy on occasion.  If he goes, the Liturgy can do the talking.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 07:07:56 PM by Gamliel » Logged
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 07:40:02 PM »

Rest assured that someone who wants your opinion will likely ask for it.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 07:52:08 PM »

Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe Jesus Christ is God - and I've never met a Mormon who did, either.

Both profess to be Christians.

Raylight, what country do you hail from, if you don't mind my asking?  Is freedom of speech a right your country enjoys?

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 08:07:46 PM »

Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe Jesus Christ is God - and I've never met a Mormon who did, either.

I had a Mormon missionary tell me that Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are three gods. Obviously, their use of the word "god" differs from ours.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: