OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 10:36:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is this stuff?: scholars may break challenge of 'proto-Elamite' writing  (Read 186 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: February 07, 2013, 07:35:46 PM »

If you think Internet chat rooms can get garbled, try to decipher the writings of the proto-Elamites. Oxford University researchers say they are on the verge of figuring out the symbols on clay tablets, which came from what's now Iran.

From the article:
In a room high up in the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford, above the Egyptian mummies and fragments of early civilisations, a big black dome is clicking away and flashing out light.

This device, part sci-fi, part-DIY, is providing the most detailed and high quality images ever taken of these elusive symbols cut into clay tablets. This is Indiana Jones with software.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 07:52:26 PM »

I wonder if they have ever found anything later than Proto-Elamite that might help with this translation. It sounds odd to me that a writing system would just disappear with out any trace of borrowings or evolutions into new writing systems (excepting the case where a civilization was obliterated due to some catastrophe). Of course I am no expert so what do I know?

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 08:39:21 PM »

I wonder if they have ever found anything later than Proto-Elamite that might help with this translation. It sounds odd to me that a writing system would just disappear with out any trace of borrowings or evolutions into new writing systems (excepting the case where a civilization was obliterated due to some catastrophe).
happens all the time.

For all the borrowings and evolution of the Etruscan alphabet into Latin, we have little knowledge of it.  And that is in the middle of the Ancient World.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 08:44:29 PM »

I wonder if they have ever found anything later than Proto-Elamite that might help with this translation. It sounds odd to me that a writing system would just disappear with out any trace of borrowings or evolutions into new writing systems (excepting the case where a civilization was obliterated due to some catastrophe).
happens all the time.

For all the borrowings and evolution of the Etruscan alphabet into Latin, we have little knowledge of it.  And that is in the middle of the Ancient World.

I thought there was some knowledge of Etruscan, or I thought I remembered reading something like that a few years back...

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 08:50:08 PM »

Hopefully this will help prove or disprove the link between Elamite and Harappan (Indus Valley Civilization) symbology, and help further discredit the vestiges of Aryan race theory that remain in such fields.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 08:50:34 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 10:16:48 AM »

I was going to guess that it was related to Cuneiform and it looks like the later Elamite language did in fact adapt the Akkadian cuneiform.   Wikipedia says that Proto-Elamite and Linear Elamite are not related to Cuneiform, a script that has largely been deciphered. 
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 10:35:33 AM »

Hopefully this will help prove or disprove the link between Elamite and Harappan (Indus Valley Civilization) symbology, and help further discredit the vestiges of Aryan race theory that remain in such fields.

What's the Aryan race theory?
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: