OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 09:25:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kondratick Dismissed as Administrator of Holy Spirit Church, Venice, Florida  (Read 4322 times) Average Rating: 0
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2013, 02:57:02 PM »

***Thank you. Will try and be more productive. I'm feeling my age. And I've mellowed over the years. I've gotten caught up in warning America, through Facebook, of the evil Islamic infiltration into the U.S. and, right now, in the White House.

Please read our rules on those subjects. Don't want your return to be unpleasant.

***Gotcha. I trust you're not referring to my mention of Islam as "evil."
I think the Orthodox position is that other religions have light in them, but it is partly obscured as through fog. That does not mean there are bad parts of other religions. As for the White House, I could explain why I don't think it's the case, but that might go into Politics, which has a separate section.

***By "White House" I was referring to staff, not the president. Sorry for the vagueness of my statement.

Yeah, not the Muslim thing, but the WH stuff is out of bounds in the public areas, I think. If I'm wrong, the mods will be sure to let us know. I am no mod (thank goodness, been there- done that).

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
AGGreen

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2013, 03:01:26 PM »

***Thank you. Will try and be more productive. I'm feeling my age. And I've mellowed over the years. I've gotten caught up in warning America, through Facebook, of the evil Islamic infiltration into the U.S. and, right now, in the White House.

Please read our rules on those subjects. Don't want your return to be unpleasant.

***Gotcha. I trust you're not referring to my mention of Islam as "evil."
I think the Orthodox position is that other religions have light in them, but it is partly obscured as through fog. That does not mean there are bad parts of other religions. As for the White House, I could explain why I don't think it's the case, but that might go into Politics, which has a separate section.

***By "White House" I was referring to staff, not the president. Sorry for the vagueness of my statement.

Yeah, not the Muslim thing, but the WH stuff is out of bounds in the public areas, I think. If I'm wrong, the mods will be sure to let us know. I am no mod (thank goodness, been there- done that).

***Understood.

Orthodox Church and Bible Study Links
http://aggreen.net/orth_links/orthlink.html
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2013, 09:30:24 AM »

Per the "Sarasota Herald-Tribune" via "Pokrov.org" via "Orthodox-Forum" @Yahoo Groups

RSK entered into a guilty plea for "Larceny," a 2nd degree felony, (on October 16th, possibly).

According to the plea agreement, he'll pay $25,000.00 in restitution along with monthly payments of an additional $43,000.00 to the Holy Spirit Church.  He will serve 2 years house arrest with an ankle bracelet, and an additional 8 years probation.  The Parish Council's concurrence for accepting the plea was sought and secured by the prosecutor.

"Voices From Russia" also contains commentary on this matter, although I haven't seen reaction from the urban Monk, his chief defender.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 09:30:38 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2013, 11:00:30 AM »

Yes and no.  It is true that bishops have the real canonical authority within the Orthodox system.  However, the Holy Synod does have a canonical role in holding its member bishops accountable to common policies and make sure they are 'doing their jobs.'

In the RSK situation, the Holy Synod would be well within its duties to call Archbishop Dmitri to account for why a man they had just disciplined was placed in a parish setting with his blessing.  The Holy Synod also overlooked, and continues to ignore, the antics of Bishop Tikhon (Fitzgerald), who spent the last decade of his ministry locked in his apartment at Holy Virgin Mary Cathedral and refused to visit his parishes, or even return his priest's phone calls.

What's the point of having a Synod when every bishop only does what he wants?  There must be a balance, and I don't think the OCA has found it yet.

RSK was able to ensconce himself in the DOS and loot a parish in part because the Holy Synod did not intervene.

This policy is leading to the breakdown of clergy discipline in the OCA.

Here's an example sent to me by an OCA priest from another OCA priest's blog (the entry has been pulled down, but the man has neither repented or been disciplined):

In the story of the 300 Spartans at Thermopylae, the name Ephialtes sticks out. To this day, the name Ephialtes in modern Greek means ‘nightmare.’ It is the Greek equivalent of what the name Benedict Arnold means to an American. (Or used to mean – do they even teach about Benedict Arnold or that betrayal is bad in schools these days?) Ephialtes of Trachis betrayed his homeland by showing the Persians a path around the Greek position at the pass of Thermopylae, which helped them defeat Leonidas, his 300 Spartans and 700 Thespians of legend. Because of this betrayal, the Persians won the Battle of Thermopylae in 480 BC.

In the recent movie, 300, recounting this story, at the final standoff, Ephialtes pleads with Leonidas to submit and save himself and his fellow soldiers. Leonidas looks sadly and sternly at him as says,

You there – Ephialtes. May you live forever.

What he was really saying to his fellow Greek was ‘May no one forget what you have done here,’ and no one has to this day. Just like Judas.

So when I think about the Synod of Bishops recent and astonishing action, unanimously requesting resignation of their own sitting primate, I begin to wonder what’s going on. Truthfully, it is no secret that Metropolitan Jonah has had little support from the Synod since his elevation as primate of the Orthodox Church in America. Indeed, the Soviet-style treatment (you have a mental condition and need to be evaluated, or ‘re-educated’) and intimidation he has meekly endured at the hands of fellow bishops is at least embarrassing, and at most, vicious.

You there – Orthodox Bishops of North America.

Many years. May you live forever.

Is the Holy Synod aware of this?  My friend said that the Holy Synod members received a copy.  Was anything done?  Nope.  He calls his own bishops 'Judas,' including the ones he commemorates every Sunday, and nothing happens.

RSK sues the OCA for $25 million, and Archbishop Dmitri does nothing, neither does the Holy Synod.  Nothing happens.

Bishop Nikolai threatens to sue the OCA.  Nothing happens.

Bishop Tikhon insults the Holy Synod (routinely) all over the internet.  Nothing happens.

Metropolitan Jonah refuses to obey the Holy Synod after his retirement and to leave the territory of his former diocese.   Nothing happens.

I could go on, but that would be abusive.  The point is made.  They have been , and continue to be, too passive.

It is one thing to endure slights with patience, but it is another to stand by while wolves devour the flock.  Yes, these out-of-control bishops (mentioned above) damaged their dioceses and hurt the people in them.  They have shaken the confidence and commitment of their own people.  This is not Christian patience, but conflict aversion to the point of harm.

I love the OCA, and I have had the great honor of knowing some of the members of the Holy Synod.  I am still astounded at their decisions, because they are simply not in keeping with their separate personalities.

This situation with RSK is just the latest example that defying common sense for the sake of (you fill in the blank because I really don't know at this point) is really counter-productive.  RSK is and was a preventable infection.  The Holy Synod never should have released RSK to a man they knew would defend him even after the the Synod saw the evidence against him.

But, the Synod did, and now we are here.  I hope they will change and start cleaning up the shop.  There's a lot of corners that need to be swept in every diocese.

I would argue that the era of timidity has passed. Since the ascension of Metropolitan Tikhon to the Primacy, we have seen the application of a steady hand, of quiet resolve, and firm episcopal guidance. BTW, we have yet to fully grasp the role of Father Joseph Fester as an eminence grise to both Archbishop Dmitri and Metropolitan Jonah, and later as an anonymous Internet poster.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 11:01:17 AM by Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2013, 11:55:36 AM »

I agree, Carl, although there was the unwarranted dismissal of Fr. Alexander Garklavs from the office of the Chancellor, the unresolved messy resignation of Metropolitan Jonah, and the Bishop Matthias debacle, but, yes, the OCA's Central Administration and Holy Synod seem to currently be on a positive path, although I think it is enabled by the dismissal of RSK and his machinations.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 11:59:15 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2013, 12:32:28 PM »

I agree, Carl, although there was the unwarranted dismissal of Fr. Alexander Garklavs from the office of the Chancellor, the unresolved messy resignation of Metropolitan Jonah, and the Bishop Matthias debacle, but, yes, the OCA's Central Administration and Holy Synod seem to currently be on a positive path, although I think it is enabled by the dismissal of RSK and his machinations.

Father Garklavs was a victim of the +Jonah debacle.  What happened to Bishop Matthias was related to the time of troubles in the OCA only to the extent that the resulting "accountability" climate was not conducive to sweeping it under the rug. IMHO, there was a structural problem that started well before Kondratick became chancellor: the eclipsing of the hierarchy by brilliant priests, such as Fathers Schmemann and Meyendorff, whose exerted leadership but did not usurp hierarchical power and authority. What happened later, under Metropolitans Theodesius and Herman, was the devolving of administrative power to Kondratick and his minions, to include Fr Fester. What followed was a situation where all diocesans were left more or less to fend for themselves, where the Holy Synod in effect ceased operating as a synod.   This situation was exacerbated greatly by the consecration of +Jonah as the auxiliary to Archbishop Dmitri and later his election as the Metropolitan. As +Jonah himself admitted in public, he was not cut out to be a hierarch (he actually said Primate but I really do not see the difference) and he found himself in conflict with all of his brother bishops and the chancery staff/national officers. With +Jonah finally retired, the OCA finally has a chance to catch its breath and function normally. I would submit to you that the +Matthias episode is an example of normalcy rather than continuation of the dysfunctional era under the first three Primates since autocephaly.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2013, 03:24:22 PM »

Yes, agreed.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: