Kondratick Dismissed as Administrator of Holy Spirit Church, Venice, Florida

<< < (6/11) > >>

FatherGiryus:
Yes and no.  It is true that bishops have the real canonical authority within the Orthodox system.  However, the Holy Synod does have a canonical role in holding its member bishops accountable to common policies and make sure they are 'doing their jobs.'

In the RSK situation, the Holy Synod would be well within its duties to call Archbishop Dmitri to account for why a man they had just disciplined was placed in a parish setting with his blessing.  The Holy Synod also overlooked, and continues to ignore, the antics of Bishop Tikhon (Fitzgerald), who spent the last decade of his ministry locked in his apartment at Holy Virgin Mary Cathedral and refused to visit his parishes, or even return his priest's phone calls.

What's the point of having a Synod when every bishop only does what he wants?  There must be a balance, and I don't think the OCA has found it yet.

RSK was able to ensconce himself in the DOS and loot a parish in part because the Holy Synod did not intervene.

This policy is leading to the breakdown of clergy discipline in the OCA.

Here's an example sent to me by an OCA priest from another OCA priest's blog (the entry has been pulled down, but the man has neither repented or been disciplined):

In the story of the 300 Spartans at Thermopylae, the name Ephialtes sticks out. To this day, the name Ephialtes in modern Greek means ‘nightmare.’ It is the Greek equivalent of what the name Benedict Arnold means to an American. (Or used to mean – do they even teach about Benedict Arnold or that betrayal is bad in schools these days?) Ephialtes of Trachis betrayed his homeland by showing the Persians a path around the Greek position at the pass of Thermopylae, which helped them defeat Leonidas, his 300 Spartans and 700 Thespians of legend. Because of this betrayal, the Persians won the Battle of Thermopylae in 480 BC.

In the recent movie, 300, recounting this story, at the final standoff, Ephialtes pleads with Leonidas to submit and save himself and his fellow soldiers. Leonidas looks sadly and sternly at him as says,

You there – Ephialtes. May you live forever.

What he was really saying to his fellow Greek was ‘May no one forget what you have done here,’ and no one has to this day. Just like Judas.

So when I think about the Synod of Bishops recent and astonishing action, unanimously requesting resignation of their own sitting primate, I begin to wonder what’s going on. Truthfully, it is no secret that Metropolitan Jonah has had little support from the Synod since his elevation as primate of the Orthodox Church in America. Indeed, the Soviet-style treatment (you have a mental condition and need to be evaluated, or ‘re-educated’) and intimidation he has meekly endured at the hands of fellow bishops is at least embarrassing, and at most, vicious.

You there – Orthodox Bishops of North America.

Many years. May you live forever.

Is the Holy Synod aware of this?  My friend said that the Holy Synod members received a copy.  Was anything done?  Nope.  He calls his own bishops 'Judas,' including the ones he commemorates every Sunday, and nothing happens.

RSK sues the OCA for $25 million, and Archbishop Dmitri does nothing, neither does the Holy Synod.  Nothing happens.

Bishop Nikolai threatens to sue the OCA.  Nothing happens.

Bishop Tikhon insults the Holy Synod (routinely) all over the internet.  Nothing happens.

Metropolitan Jonah refuses to obey the Holy Synod after his retirement and to leave the territory of his former diocese.   Nothing happens.

I could go on, but that would be abusive.  The point is made.  They have been , and continue to be, too passive.

It is one thing to endure slights with patience, but it is another to stand by while wolves devour the flock.  Yes, these out-of-control bishops (mentioned above) damaged their dioceses and hurt the people in them.  They have shaken the confidence and commitment of their own people.  This is not Christian patience, but conflict aversion to the point of harm.

I love the OCA, and I have had the great honor of knowing some of the members of the Holy Synod.  I am still astounded at their decisions, because they are simply not in keeping with their separate personalities.

This situation with RSK is just the latest example that defying common sense for the sake of (you fill in the blank because I really don't know at this point) is really counter-productive.  RSK is and was a preventable infection.  The Holy Synod never should have released RSK to a man they knew would defend him even after the the Synod saw the evidence against him.

But, the Synod did, and now we are here.  I hope they will change and start cleaning up the shop.  There's a lot of corners that need to be swept in every diocese.

Quote from: podkarpatska on February 20, 2013, 09:11:04 AM

I would argue  that the independence of local ruling bishops and a Synod generally staying out of a local Bishop's affairs is not a limited to the OCA.  Rather, it is the norm - even if a strong primate is in place. (Perhaps the Antiochians are an exception under Met. Philip.) It also is not unique to Orthodoxy as evidenced by the pedophile problems within the Roman church.

SDMPNS:
The Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office said that the administrator of a Venice FL church is accused of embezzling 53,950 USD (1.67 million Roubles. 41,500 Euros. 35,900 UK Pounds) from funds intended to help struggling parishioners. Robert Kondratick, 67, of the 11700 block of Tempest Harbor Loop in Venice, was arrested Wednesday for reportedly embezzling from church funds intended to help people who fell on hard times. In January, church council members contacted the sheriff’s office after discovering funds were misused over a six month period from June to December 2012. Kondratick, then employed as administrator of the Holy Spirit Orthodox Church, was then fired by church officials. Witnesses told the sheriff’s office that Kondratick requested signed blank checks to pay what he claimed were church expenses. However, an investigation revealed he cashed 28 checks made out to “cash” or to himself totalling 53,950 USD. Detectives obtained an arrest warrant for Kondratick, who turned himself in to face one felony count of grand theft. In 2007, the Orthodox Church in America relieved Kondratick of his duties as priest following an investigation into financial misconduct whilst he was working in the state of New York. At that time, criminal charges were not pursued.

source: http://02varvara.wordpress.com/2013/03/06/venice-fl-church-official-accused-of-embezzling-53950/

MK

LizaSymonenko:

I don't know the history behind this.

What does it mean "relieved of duties as priest" by the OCA?

How then, was he a priest at this church?  Did they not know of his past?

arimethea:
Quote from: SDMPNS on March 06, 2013, 06:51:17 PM

The Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office said that the administrator of a Venice FL church is accused of embezzling 53,950 USD (1.67 million Roubles. 41,500 Euros. 35,900 UK Pounds) from funds intended to help struggling parishioners. Robert Kondratick, 67, of the 11700 block of Tempest Harbor Loop in Venice, was arrested Wednesday for reportedly embezzling from church funds intended to help people who fell on hard times. In January, church council members contacted the sheriff’s office after discovering funds were misused over a six month period from June to December 2012. Kondratick, then employed as administrator of the Holy Spirit Orthodox Church, was then fired by church officials. Witnesses told the sheriff’s office that Kondratick requested signed blank checks to pay what he claimed were church expenses. However, an investigation revealed he cashed 28 checks made out to “cash” or to himself totalling 53,950 USD. Detectives obtained an arrest warrant for Kondratick, who turned himself in to face one felony count of grand theft. In 2007, the Orthodox Church in America relieved Kondratick of his duties as priest following an investigation into financial misconduct whilst he was working in the state of New York. At that time, criminal charges were not pursued.

Source???

SolEX01:
Quote from: LizaSymonenko on March 06, 2013, 07:11:16 PM

I don't know the history behind this.

What does it mean "relieved of duties as priest" by the OCA?

How then, was he a priest at this church?  Did they not know of his past?

This matter first surfaced here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,49797.0.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page