Kondratick Dismissed as Administrator of Holy Spirit Church, Venice, Florida

<< < (5/11) > >>

Basil 320:
I recall having read in OCANews (Orthodox Christians for Accountability) following RSK's having been unfrocked, that his assignment specifically precluded him having any access to or involvement with parish finances.

FatherGiryus:
Yes, and we now see how long that appears to have worked.  Some temptations cannot be fought, only fled.


Quote from: Basil 320 on February 18, 2013, 11:36:08 PM

I recall having read in OCANews (Orthodox Christians for Accountability) following RSK's having been unfrocked, that his assignment specifically precluded him having any access to or involvement with parish finances.

AMM:
So was it entirely up to Archbishop Dmitri to allow the priest in question after being defrocked to take on the role of administrator in a parish? What sort of national oversight is there? I would assume many of the people in positions of power when these decisions were made are still in power.

FatherGiryus:
Well, it is even more complicated than that!  When the Archbishop retired, the diocese was administered by the former First Hierarch of the OCA, Metropolitan Jonah, from 2009 until 2011.  So, the Metropolitan himself could have removed RSK in his role as locum tenens, but never did.  Some have attributed this decision to the fact that Fr. Joseph Fester, who was RSK's assistant in Syosset and first fled to the Diocese of the South, had won the confidence not only of Archbishop Dmitri but also Metropolitan Jonah.  The 'leaked emails' demonstrated that RSK was continuing to operate through Fr. Fester (for clarification, Fr. Fester was not implicated in this recent accusation).

However, the OCA's Holy Synod generally has a 'hands off' approach to what bishops do in their own dioceses.  From all accounts, Archbishop Dmitri really did not believe the Special Investigative Committee's report (the confidential one was rather colorful as rumor has it). 

But, the rest of the bishops let the Archbishop keep RSK in the diocese and working in a parish, so as to keep his vested OCA pension.  The work in the parish qualified for purposes of the pension, and his defrocking would have decreased his pay-out from the pension plan unless he was able to score some other parish work.  Being an administrator qualified.  he never served as a priest, though may reportedly continued to call him 'Father Bob,' with the lone exception being Bishop Tikhon (Fitzgerald), who has loudly proclaimed not only RSK's total innocence, but denounced the actions of the Holy Synod against "The Protopresbyter Rodion Kondratick," a name that RSK never went by even in his headiest moments.

There's a few other bits to this, but this should give you some idea of the contributing factors.




Quote from: AMM on February 19, 2013, 05:55:38 PM

So was it entirely up to Archbishop Dmitri to allow the priest in question after being defrocked to take on the role of administrator in a parish? What sort of national oversight is there? I would assume many of the people in positions of power when these decisions were made are still in power.

podkarpatska:
Quote from: FatherGiryus on February 19, 2013, 11:41:13 PM

Well, it is even more complicated than that!  When the Archbishop retired, the diocese was administered by the former First Hierarch of the OCA, Metropolitan Jonah, from 2009 until 2011.  So, the Metropolitan himself could have removed RSK in his role as locum tenens, but never did.  Some have attributed this decision to the fact that Fr. Joseph Fester, who was RSK's assistant in Syosset and first fled to the Diocese of the South, had won the confidence not only of Archbishop Dmitri but also Metropolitan Jonah.  The 'leaked emails' demonstrated that RSK was continuing to operate through Fr. Fester (for clarification, Fr. Fester was not implicated in this recent accusation).

However, the OCA's Holy Synod generally has a 'hands off' approach to what bishops do in their own dioceses.  From all accounts, Archbishop Dmitri really did not believe the Special Investigative Committee's report (the confidential one was rather colorful as rumor has it). 

But, the rest of the bishops let the Archbishop keep RSK in the diocese and working in a parish, so as to keep his vested OCA pension.  The work in the parish qualified for purposes of the pension, and his defrocking would have decreased his pay-out from the pension plan unless he was able to score some other parish work.  Being an administrator qualified.  he never served as a priest, though may reportedly continued to call him 'Father Bob,' with the lone exception being Bishop Tikhon (Fitzgerald), who has loudly proclaimed not only RSK's total innocence, but denounced the actions of the Holy Synod against "The Protopresbyter Rodion Kondratick," a name that RSK never went by even in his headiest moments.

There's a few other bits to this, but this should give you some idea of the contributing factors.




Quote from: AMM on February 19, 2013, 05:55:38 PM

So was it entirely up to Archbishop Dmitri to allow the priest in question after being defrocked to take on the role of administrator in a parish? What sort of national oversight is there? I would assume many of the people in positions of power when these decisions were made are still in power.



I would argue  that the independence of local ruling bishops and a Synod generally staying out of a local Bishop's affairs is not a limited to the OCA.  Rather, it is the norm - even if a strong primate is in place. (Perhaps the Antiochians are an exception under Met. Philip.) It also is not unique to Orthodoxy as evidenced by the pedophile problems within the Roman church.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page