OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 09:09:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gay Illegal Immigrants becoming Legal  (Read 872 times) Average Rating: 0
Deep Roots
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Catholic

« on: February 07, 2013, 06:47:26 PM »

Have you guys heard about the proposals to allow illegal immigrants to use gay marriages as a means of getting a green card and becoming legal?s

What do you guys all think about that?!!?!

Just kidding, I know how you feel about it.

Peace.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 07:20:19 PM »

So you have another username on this board?

How do you know how we feel about it?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 07:22:47 PM »

This sounds like an awfully political topic...

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 07:25:48 PM »

So you have another username on this board?

How do you know how we feel about it?
Well maybe folks can weigh in and we'll see if my suspicions were right or wrong.

Peace.
Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 07:26:10 PM »

more or less political than the Boy Scout thread, which appears in this same forum?

Peace.
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 07:26:44 PM »

more or less political than the Boy Scout thread, which appears in this same forum?
Truth...

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 07:40:06 PM »

Have you guys heard about the proposals to allow illegal immigrants to use gay marriages as a means of getting a green card and becoming legal?s

About the same as I think of using heterosexual marriage as a means of getting a green card to become legal.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 07:45:39 PM »

About the same as I think of using heterosexual marriage as a means of getting a green card to become legal.
In opposition or support?

If you oppose, you're saying you oppose the scenario in which, say, a Canadian or a Frenchman, marries an American and then becomes a citizen via the green card route?

Peace.
AustralianDiaspora

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 08:27:38 PM »

Nationalism is the tool of capitalism, there's no reason to deny anyone citizenship.

I can no longer cope with the misogynism, bigotry, homophobia and racism here and I have given up this forum. Lord have mercy.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 08:29:57 PM »

Nationalism is the tool of capitalism, there's no reason to deny anyone citizenship.
qft
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 08:33:04 PM »

qft
waloc

How did Bessarabia end up as the Republic of Moldova?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 08:36:58 PM »

Citizenship is nationalism.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 09:20:21 PM »

I'm saying that obtaining citizenship in any country should not be the sole or primary motivation for marriage with anyone.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 09:25:32 PM »

o.O

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
AustralianDiaspora

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 09:36:25 PM »

Huh
Citizenship = rights, nationalism = values. There is virtually no connection between the two at all.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:37:06 PM by AustralianDiaspora » Logged

I can no longer cope with the misogynism, bigotry, homophobia and racism here and I have given up this forum. Lord have mercy.
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 09:50:23 PM »

Huh
Citizenship = rights, nationalism = values. There is virtually no connection between the two at all.
Citizenship is an affiliation with a group [i.e. nation] at the exclusion of others. It is the most fundamental component of modern nationalism.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 09:56:12 PM »

Huh
Nah.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 09:57:15 PM »

Huh
Not much on history I see.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 10:18:17 PM »

I'm saying that obtaining citizenship in any country should not be the sole or primary motivation for marriage with anyone.

And in the United States, marriage is hardly an automatic route to citizenship.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 10:32:10 PM »

that wasn't part of the scenario.

Obviously I would not condone that, either.

Peace.
AustralianDiaspora

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 11:44:42 AM »

Huh
Citizenship is an affiliation with a group [i.e. nation] at the exclusion of others. It is the most fundamental component of modern nationalism.
That still doesn't mean that citizenship automatically makes someone nationalist, which is what was being suggested. One can be a citizen without being a nationalist in terms of values. The concept of national pride is a completely made up concept to excuse all kinds of racist horrors.

Not much on history I see.
What was the purpose of this? Did you just have a tickle and feel like deriding someone without actually contributing anything meaningful? Congrats, how Christian of you.

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 11:56:26 AM »

*mental gymnastics* ^^

I'm going to need this.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2013, 12:31:27 PM »

^Signature of the month nominee!

choy
Archon

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 01:16:35 PM »

No its not.

Citizenship is a legal status in a political institution such as a city or a state. The relationship between a citizen and the institution that confers this status is formal, and in contemporary liberal-democratic models includes both a set of rights that the citizen possesses by virtue of this relationship, and a set of obligations or duties that they owe to that institution and their fellow citizens in return.

Nationality, on the other hand, denotes informal membership in or identification with a particular nation (which is not a synonym for country or state).[1] While nationality is sometimes conferred as a legal status (see below), it and nations are properly understood as social categories, characterised by at least a common language, culture and territory, and sometimes also by a common religious faith and a purportedly shared ancestry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citizenship_and_nationality
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 01:27:02 PM »

qft

Roll Eyes

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
AustralianDiaspora

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2013, 02:00:36 PM »

I hope one day these threads can occur without the double dose of snark. It's really getting old and tiring and is very unbecoming of a Christian discussion forum.

OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2013, 02:04:28 PM »

I hope one day these threads can occur without the double dose of snark. It's really getting old and tiring and is very unbecoming of a Christian discussion forum.

"Thou shalt not snark" said no commandment ever.

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2013, 02:20:18 PM »

This forum is unbecoming of a Christian forum.
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2013, 02:31:26 PM »

That still doesn't mean that citizenship automatically makes someone nationalist, which is what was being suggested. One can be a citizen without being a nationalist in terms of values. The concept of national pride is a completely made up concept to excuse all kinds of racist horrors.
You are focusing on only the most radical characteristics of nationalism. Were there no national pride, it is unlikely that independent states would exist entirely. For the most part, any identification with one segment of humanity (over another) is a form of nationalism. This can be almost anything (ethnicity, religion, race, etc.) The modern state (and its corresponding citizenship) is entirely based on nationalistic principles. Concepts like "American", "British", "Chinese", etc. only exist because they stand in opposition to rest of humanity (that is, "non-American", "non-British", "non-Chinese", etc.)

Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2013, 02:36:15 PM »

No its not.

Citizenship is a legal status in a political institution such as a city or a state. The relationship between a citizen and the institution that confers this status is formal, and in contemporary liberal-democratic models includes both a set of rights that the citizen possesses by virtue of this relationship, and a set of obligations or duties that they owe to that institution and their fellow citizens in return.

Nationality, on the other hand, denotes informal membership in or identification with a particular nation (which is not a synonym for country or state).[1] While nationality is sometimes conferred as a legal status (see below), it and nations are properly understood as social categories, characterised by at least a common language, culture and territory, and sometimes also by a common religious faith and a purportedly shared ancestry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citizenship_and_nationality
Notice I didn't say nationalism is citizenship.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2013, 06:22:36 PM »

I don't see this as political at all.  Immigration is immigration.  Has nothing to do with a specific countries political system or beliefs. 

As a Christian, I cannot see matrimony as valid between homosexuals.  In my Christian perspective, this would make it impossible for me to recognize the spiritual bond between them.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2013, 11:08:43 PM »

I don't see this as political at all.  Immigration is immigration.  Has nothing to do with a specific countries political system or beliefs. 

As a Christian, I cannot see matrimony as valid between homosexuals.  In my Christian perspective, this would make it impossible for me to recognize the spiritual bond between them.
Would you recognize any legal bond between them?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2013, 11:31:41 PM »

How can a private individual be said to 'recognise' or 'not recognise' legal bonds between homosexuals?

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2013, 12:11:21 AM »

Which part of the topic do you want us to focus on?  Homosexuality, homosexual "marriage", illegal immigration, green cards, becoming a legal resident...which one?
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2013, 12:12:44 AM »

If you oppose, you're saying you oppose the scenario in which, say, a Canadian or a Frenchman, marries an American and then becomes a citizen via the green card route?

But now, you are changing the dynamics.  Are the Canadian or Frenchman in America legally or illegally?  Are they homosexual or heterosexual?  Are they applying for legal residency? 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 12:16:46 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2013, 12:14:44 AM »

And in the United States, marriage is hardly an automatic route to citizenship.

Or anything else for that matter.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2013, 12:25:16 AM »

How can a private individual be said to 'recognise' or 'not recognise' legal bonds between homosexuals?
Some private individuals (e.g., hoteliers) might refuse service to homosexuals with legal bonds.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2013, 12:55:37 AM »

I think the purpose of this thread being started fizzled out.  May I suggest next time use a poll and provide clearer intentions.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2013, 01:00:07 AM »

Would not recognize a legal bond between ANY contract marriage.  They are another form of pseudo-marriage and a scandalous finger in the eye of the sanctity and sacrament of marriage.
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2013, 01:01:35 AM »

Some private individuals (e.g., hoteliers) might refuse service to homosexuals with legal bonds.

OK. Fair enough.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2013, 02:03:35 AM »

I heard a rumor there's an Armenian Saint Snark. Salpy may confirm or deny this. Though I don't think he has anything to do with snarkiness, unless the word "snark" is an Armenian import.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2013, 02:05:52 AM »

And be sued, fined, boycotted, tarred, and feathered.

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2013, 02:07:06 AM »

And be sued, fined, boycotted, tarred, and feathered.

Can't even refuse to make a wedding cake.
AustralianDiaspora

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2013, 06:56:14 AM »

I heard a rumor there's an Armenian Saint Snark. Salpy may confirm or deny this. Though I don't think he has anything to do with snarkiness, unless the word "snark" is an Armenian import.
That's funny cos I'm pretty certain there's a fair bit in the NT that teaches us how to treat each other, and nowhere did it say that using condescension and making cruel little jabs at other people was Christian behaviour. Perhaps before we type our comments, we should consider how those words are going to make the person on the receiving end feel (would that be Christian??).

OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2013, 05:46:27 PM »

That's funny cos I'm pretty certain there's a fair bit in the NT that teaches us how to treat each other, and nowhere did it say that using condescension and making cruel little jabs at other people was Christian behaviour. Perhaps before we type our comments, we should consider how those words are going to make the person on the receiving end feel (would that be Christian??).

Perhaps you should read Our Lord's invective toward the 'brood of vipers' and the 'wicked and adulterous generation' again. Or for the first time. Whichever fits.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 05:46:55 PM by OrthoNoob » Logged

Tags: teh gayz 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: