OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 03:29:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How the Antichrist reflects an era’s anxieties  (Read 468 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: February 07, 2013, 11:03:13 AM »

Now, amid threats of Islamic terrorism, a nuclear-armed Iran and tumult across the Middle East, a growing group of American evangelicals say the Antichrist will be Muslim.

“I understand that I’m going to be viewed as a fringe, apocalyptic Christian,” said Joel Richardson, author of several books predicting an Islamic Antichrist. “But I fully own the idea that the Antichrist will be a Muslim and will come out of the Muslim world.”
Tim LaHaye, co-author of the bestselling series Left Behind and one of conservative Christianity’s most respected apocalyptists, doesn’t buy Richardson’s theories, either.

“His book is interesting and informative,” LaHaye said in a recent interview, “but his argument on the Antichrist is ridiculous.” LaHaye and his ilk say the Antichrist must come from Roman stock, and point to modern-day Romania as his likely birthplace.

Hmmm...a Muslim who is also Roman? I think I know whom that might be.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 11:04:05 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 11:34:42 AM »

I was going to say I long for the days of Hal Lindsey when the anti-Christ or the False Prophet or both were the Pope.

Say want you want about the RCs, but their hierarchical structure gives you a much simpler and easier to promote conspiracy theory.

Islam is just too confusing.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 11:41:15 AM »

Meh.  The antiChrist will probably need to be Orthodox.  An evil heretic or heathen?  That's nothing new.  The Orthodox Church is the original Apostolic church.  If you want to see true betrayal, it will have to be one of us.

As for the title of this thread, I believe that the Russian church actually declared Napoleon Bonaparte to be the antiChrist.  There ya have it, folks.  The antiChrist was beaten by a bad case of hemorrhoids.  'Twere it not for a bad bum, he might have kept Ney from sending in the cavalry without infantry support.  Dingbat.

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 05:05:58 PM »

LOL! So first the Antichrist was the Pope, now it's a Muslim? Hogwash. My thoughts are that the Antichrist is most likely either going to be an ultra-ecumenist who will combine elements of all religions to try to subtly draw people away from the fullness of their own religion, or a secular person who will push an anti-religious agenda. If it's really bad, maybe he will be a figure from the Orthodox Church, like a Patriarch or something, who will lead more of us astray. The Russian Patriarch somewhat comes to mind with how close the office has always been to the Russian state. Either way, the Antichrist won't be a Muslim; I am almost sure of it. The Antichrist will want to fool and deceive people; most Americans despise Muslims and are xenophobic of them, he'll have to do better than that if he wants to fool Evangelicals in America.

Wherever goes JamesR goes, he is there.
-Orthonorm
psalm110
Elder

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 06:51:16 PM »

I thought the Antichrist will be a Jew in order for the Jews to accept him ?? If he is a heathen/goyim he will be immediately rejected ?.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 06:52:22 PM by psalm110 » Logged
Theophilos78
OC.net guru

Faith: Yahwist-Apostolic Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 07:06:55 PM »

Ibn Abdallah was an anti-Christ for sure, but THE anti-Christ will most likely come from Israel and descend from the tribe of Dan.

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 07:16:57 PM »

Ibn Abdallah was an anti-Christ for sure, but THE anti-Christ will most likely come from Israel and descend from the tribe of Dan.

That way he could fool all of these modern, Kosher-eating, usury-charging Reformed Zionists and through them, fool the entire United States Evangelical Protestant population. It makes perfect sense!

-Orthonorm
psalm110
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 07:26:26 PM »

Interesting, indeed there have been antichrists, but The Antichrist will be different from all the rest.

How do we know that he will be from the Tribe of Dan ?. Is that an Orthodox teaching ? If so how and how an a descendant of the tribe of Dan exist today since it was destroyed?.

I have been told by my Orthodox study teacher that the modern state of Israel is a timeline, when you see the third temple being rebuilt the end is near where the Jews will accept The Antichrist, he will be accepted as the long awaited messiah, apparently she also mentioned that the Jews will end realizing he is the false messiah and will end up accepting Orthodoxy. However I am also interested in hearing about this from other orthodox theologians/monks.

KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 08:19:44 PM »

Tim LaHaye, co-author of the bestselling series Left Behind and one of conservative Christianity’s most respected apocalyptists...

Hahahahahhahahahhahaahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahh
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 08:33:17 PM »

Now, amid threats of Islamic terrorism, a nuclear-armed Iran and tumult across the Middle East, a growing group of American evangelicals say the Antichrist will be Muslim.

“I understand that I’m going to be viewed as a fringe, apocalyptic Christian,” said Joel Richardson, author of several books predicting an Islamic Antichrist. “But I fully own the idea that the Antichrist will be a Muslim and will come out of the Muslim world.”
Tim LaHaye, co-author of the bestselling series Left Behind and one of conservative Christianity’s most respected apocalyptists, doesn’t buy Richardson’s theories, either.

“His book is interesting and informative,” LaHaye said in a recent interview, “but his argument on the Antichrist is ridiculous.” LaHaye and his ilk say the Antichrist must come from Roman stock, and point to modern-day Romania as his likely birthplace.

Hmmm...a Muslim who is also Roman? I think I know whom that might be.

I remember reading the Left Behind books when I was a youngster, and I remember where LaHaye and the other guy got their ideas about who or where the Anti-Christ will be or come from (i believe it was a passage from Revelation). I remember being fascinated by the books (since I was very interested in Revelation and the whole Apocalypse thing thanks to Y2K) but I thought the movies were boring.

I also remember when Obama became president I kept getting these stupid text messages that said Obama was the Anti-Christ because blah blah blah Muslim and Revelation says the Anti-Christ will be Muslim... a lot of my friends jumped on that whole band wagon until I informed them that Revelation did not say anything about Muslims as Islam did not come around until almost 1,000 years after the Apocalypse had been written.

And also this
Tim LaHaye, co-author of the bestselling series Left Behind and one of conservative Christianity’s most respected apocalyptists...

Hahahahahhahahahhahaahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahh

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 09:30:52 PM »

A "Roman Muslim"? Playing Devil's advocate, how about this?

-Orthonorm
Theophilos78
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 09:06:15 AM »

Interesting, indeed there have been antichrists, but The Antichrist will be different from all the rest.

How do we know that he will be from the Tribe of Dan ?. Is that an Orthodox teaching ? If so how and how an a descendant of the tribe of Dan exist today since it was destroyed?.

I have been told by my Orthodox study teacher that the modern state of Israel is a timeline, when you see the third temple being rebuilt the end is near where the Jews will accept The Antichrist, he will be accepted as the long awaited messiah, apparently she also mentioned that the Jews will end realizing he is the false messiah and will end up accepting Orthodoxy. However I am also interested in hearing about this from other orthodox theologians/monks.

I remember an Orthodox priest telling me something like this. Or I may simply be confusing what I heard from the Orthodox priest with what I read about the anti-Christ in the Book of BeeGrin

IN a week and half a week after the destruction of these wretches shall the son of destruction appear. He shall be conceived in Chorazin, born in Bethsaida, and reared in Capernaum. Chorazin shall exult because he was conceived in her, Bethsaida because he was born in her, and Capernaum because he was brought up in her; for this reason our Lord proclaimed Woe to these three (cities) in the Gospel. ... Then will the son of perdition appear, of the seed and of the tribe of Dan; and he will shew deluding phantasms, and lead astray the world, for the simple will see the lepers cleansed, the blind with their eyes opened, the paralytic walking, the devils cast out, the sun when he looks upon it becoming black, the moon when he commands it becoming changed, the trees putting forth fruit from their branches, and the earth making roots to grow. He will shew deluding phantasms (of this kind), but he will not be able to raise the dead. He will go into Jerusalem and will sit upon a throne in the temple saying, 'I am the Christ;' and he will be borne aloft by legions of devils like a king and a lawgiver, naming himself God, and saying, 'I am the fulfilment of the types and the parables.' He will put an end to prayers and offerings, as if at his appearance prayers are to be abolished and men will not need sacrifices and offerings along with him. He becomes a man incarnate by a married woman of the tribe of Dan.

Source: http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/bb/bb55.htm
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 09:08:10 AM by Theophilos78 » Logged

Theophilos78
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 09:10:34 AM »

According to the Book of Revelation (7:4-8), the tribe of Dan is the only original tribe of Israel which is not included in the list of tribes which are sealed. No mention is made of why they are excluded. It could be because of their pagan practices. This made Hippolytus of Rome and a few Millennialists apparently claim that the Antichrist will come from the tribe of Dan.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribe_of_Dan

Wow, this is a very interesting article too! Smiley http://www.shalach.org/Antichrist/AntichristArises.htm
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 09:18:22 AM by Theophilos78 » Logged

Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 09:15:04 AM »

I am extremely confused about two things.  First being the interest in End Time prophecy after seeing so much against it on this forum.  The second being, the attacks on Protestant ideas of the End Times, but repeating basically what they have said.  Can someone help me out here?
psalm110
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 07:23:26 PM »

Thanks for the sources, interested to learn more about eschaton.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 07:40:07 PM »

According to the Book of Revelation (7:4-8), the tribe of Dan is the only original tribe of Israel which is not included in the list of tribes which are sealed.
And Dan may have originated from an Indo-European tribe.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
dcommini
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 07:47:18 PM »

According to the Book of Revelation (7:4-8), the tribe of Dan is the only original tribe of Israel which is not included in the list of tribes which are sealed.

I thought Dan integrated with an Indo-European tribe...

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 07:48:43 PM »

By "originate" I mean to include the likely possibility that "Dan" has both Israelite and significant Indo-European ancestry.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 07:48:53 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
dcommini
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 08:08:12 PM »

By "originate" I mean to include the likely possibility that "Dan" has both Israelite and significant Indo-European ancestry.

Ah, I understand now

Check out my blog...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: