OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 06:46:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vatican signals options for protecting gay couples  (Read 496 times) Average Rating: 0
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« on: February 06, 2013, 05:30:23 PM »

Never thought I'd see this start happening!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith/vatican-signals-options-for-protecting-gay-couples/2013/02/04/ee1e184e-6f11-11e2-b35a-0ee56f0518d2_story.html

Vatican signals options for protecting gay couples
  Text Size PrintE-mailReprintsBy By Alessandro Speciale| Religion News Service, Feb 04, 2013 09:29 PM EST

AP Published: February 4
VATICAN CITY — A high-ranking Vatican official on Monday (Feb. 4) voiced support for giving unmarried couples some kind of legal protection even as he reaffirmed the Catholic Church’s opposition to same-sex marriage.

Archbishop Vincenzo Paglia, head of the Pontifical Council for the Family, also said the church should do more to protect gays and lesbians from discrimination in countries where homosexuality is illegal.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
choy
Archon

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 06:11:13 PM »

I think his point is that we should protect them from persecution.  If being a sinner means we allow them to be persecuted, then we all should be persecuted.  No one deserves persecution, even for something that is wrong.  A wrong does not justify another wrong.  I agree that we should do something actively to protect gays from persecution.  This doesn't mean we will marry them or fight for redefining marriage.  We believe all are created in the image and likeness of God, therefore we should fight for their right to be free from persecution.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 07:20:31 PM »

I think his point is that we should protect them from persecution.
I think he means a bit more than that. He means also that same-sex couples should enjoys some legal rights that help protect them as a couple (social security, disability, and medicare benefits; insurance plan incorporation; visiting rights in hospital or prison; protection against having to testify against your spouse; automatic entitlement to support if divorced; etc.)

Of course, none of this touches the sacramental definition of marriage that the Church proposes.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 07:21:04 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
choy
Archon

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 07:23:35 PM »

I think he means a bit more than that. He means also that same-sex couples should enjoys some legal rights that help protect them as a couple (social security, disability, and medicare benefits; insurance plan incorporation; visiting rights in hospital or prison; protection against having to testify against your spouse; automatic entitlement to support if divorced; etc.)

Of course, none of this touches the sacramental definition of marriage that the Church proposes.

Well, we can't always expect a secular government to follow Church teaching with regards to the law.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 07:32:31 PM »

Well, we can't always expect a secular government to follow Church teaching with regards to the law.
True, but does Church teaching state that two people of the same gender may not have visiting rights in a hospital?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
choy
Archon

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 07:58:46 PM »

I want to read the direct statements by the bishop as opposed to a commentary by a US newspaper which almost always is liberal in interpretation.  Perhaps we can understand what the bishop really means there.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 09:21:33 PM »

From an educational point of view, same-sex unions “provide us with new challenges which sometimes are difficult for us to understand,” Francis said in the speech he gave to superiors general last 29 November, published by Italian Jesuit journal, La Civiltà Cattolica. [The Pope said:] "We must be careful not to administer a vaccine against faith to the children of same-sax couples."

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: