OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 02:24:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christ's Divinity?  (Read 1286 times) Average Rating: 0
Pericles

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople. Archdiocese of Thyateira & Great Britain.

« on: February 06, 2013, 02:18:50 PM »

Given that Christ is fully God, in that his divinity is absolute. The essential requirement of any religion that claims to be Christian, as religions that deny it are not Christian but a religion that denies Christ's humanity is still Christian:

Could it be that the disparity of terminology between EO and OO theology are two sides of the same coin, the priority and primacy of Christ's absolute divinity in relation to his humanity?

In EO theology this is realised in the second person of the Trinity and in OO theology in the incarnate nature. Regardless of what is affirmed about Christ's humanity, ether as a nature in and of itself hypostatically united in the Divine Person of the Son or as united without confusion in one divine nature.

The solution is that Christ's humanity is united with his divinity, in his divinity because Christ's humanity is fulfilled by his divinity, because Christ is absolutely God. IMHO
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 02:24:17 PM by Pericles » Logged

Graecia capta ferum victorem cepit.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 02:26:48 PM »

because Christ is absolutely God. IMHO

In a monotheistic religion, I am not what the semantic value of such a clause is. What are the alternatives to absolutely? (In a quite literal sense this clause is heretical, it means that Christ is in manner in which He absolved of being God.)

In short, I am not sure of the point of the OP other than add unneeded and improper confusion to a properly confused issue.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Pericles

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople. Archdiocese of Thyateira & Great Britain.

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 02:37:29 PM »

In a monotheistic religion, I am not what the semantic value of such a clause is. What are the alternatives to absolutely? (In a quite literal sense this clause is heretical, it means that Christ is in manner in which He absolved of being God.)

It affirms an absolute form of monotheistic religion in distinction from a relative monotheistic religion, with distinct but dependent divine beings. Its axiomatic not heretical and contrarily absolves Christ of being man.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 02:38:09 PM »

It affirms an absolute form of monotheistic religion in distinction from a relative monotheistic religion, with distinct but dependent divine beings. Its axiomatic not heretical and contrarily absolves Christ of being man.

Let me grab my jargon dictionary and get back to you! Smiley
Pericles

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 02:50:26 PM »

Let me grab my jargon dictionary and get back to you! Smiley

Yeah sorry it is a tad wordy. Grin

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 02:54:47 PM »

This thread is way above my paygrade.

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 03:04:27 PM »

Your first sentence shows you are adding nothing but again extraneous and improper confusion to the subject. Your second sentence shows you didn't read what I wrote or don't understand English or the etymology of absolute.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 03:14:49 PM by orthonorm » Logged

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 03:13:37 PM »

Given that Christ is fully God, in that his divinity is absolute. The essential requirement of any religion that claims to be Christian, as religions that deny it are not Christian but a religion that denies Christ's humanity is still Christian
A religion claiming to be Christian that denies Christ's humanity is not Christian.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Pericles

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 03:20:18 PM »

Your first sentence shows you are adding nothing but again extraneous and improper confusion to the subject. Your second sentence shows you did read what I wrote or don't understand English or the etymology of absolute.

A quaint deconstruction, congratulations. Thank your your reply however I prefer to entertain dialogue that engages with the subject. Thanks again.

Pericles

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 03:32:30 PM »

A religion claiming to be Christian that denies Christ's humanity is not Christian.

That could well be a weak spot in my reasoning. It depends whos classifying the issue, academic or theological. Religions such as the Cathars and Albigenses would be categorised under Christian religions by academics. In fact so would Arianism because it at least it affirms a kind of divinity in Christ. Religions such as the Ebionites and Nazarenes that deny Christs divinity completely, get classed as Jewish.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 03:38:55 PM »

Your first sentence shows you are adding nothing but again extraneous and improper confusion to the subject. Your second sentence shows you did read what I wrote or don't understand English or the etymology of absolute.

A quaint deconstruction, congratulations. Thank your your reply however I prefer to entertain dialogue that engages with the subject. Thanks again.

What is the subject again?

You don't seem to know or rather it seems you are trying to come with some idiosyncratic taxonomy for describing various "Christianities".

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 03:41:21 PM »

That could well be a weak spot in my reasoning. It depends whos classifying the issue, academic or theological. Religions such as the Cathars and Albigenses would be categorised under Christian religions by academics. In fact so would Arianism because it at least it affirms a kind of divinity in Christ. Religions such as the Ebionites and Nazarenes that deny Christs divinity completely, get classed as Jewish.

What reasoning? You are begging questions. If you don't have the basic understanding that Orthodox Christianity starts from a radical statement about the divinity and humanity of Christ, then I am not sure what the reason is for posting here.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 07:08:20 PM »

What?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 07:12:55 PM »

If God was not incarnate, then there is no Christ, and therefore no Christian.

If the incarnate one was not God, then there is no salvation, and no Church.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 07:13:50 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
thethinker

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 07:36:22 PM »

The solution is that Christ's humanity is united with his divinity, in his divinity because Christ's humanity is fulfilled by his divinity, because Christ is absolutely God. IMHO

Please explain what you mean in saying that Christ's humanity is "fulfilled" by His divinity.

Thank you!
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 10:53:18 PM »

a religion that denies Christ's humanity is still Christian:

No it's not.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Pericles

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 09:13:28 AM »

Please explain what you mean in saying that Christ's humanity is "fulfilled" by His divinity.

What I mean is, whatever we say about Christs Humanity, his incarnation and humanity is only possible because he is God.

Pericles

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 09:52:15 AM »

Also we as humans are so in an exclusive and divided way, for us to be fully human is to be only human and divided from each other. Christs humanity is not exclusive because he is also divine, his humanity was perfect humanity because it was united in his divinity.

thethinker

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 12:32:17 PM »

Also we as humans are so in an exclusive and divided way, for us to be fully human is to be only human and divided from each other. Christs humanity is not exclusive because he is also divine, his humanity was perfect humanity because it was united in his divinity.

This would imply that the first Adam was not created perfect and could not have been created perfect.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 12:36:27 PM »

This would imply that the first Adam was not created perfect and could not have been created perfect.

Adam was not. And arguably could not have been. But the implications of Pericles' misunderstanding are worse than your confusion about it.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:36:55 PM by orthonorm » Logged

thethinker

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 12:39:34 PM »

Adam was not. And arguably could not have been. But the implications of Pericles' misunderstanding are worse than your confusion about it.

Why do you say I am confused when I have spoken no proposition?  Huh I simply made an inference from what Pericles said.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:40:02 PM by thethinker » Logged
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 12:42:33 PM »

What I mean is, whatever we say about Christs Humanity, his incarnation and humanity is only possible because he is God.
Does it not then follow that Pericles's incarnation and humanity are possible only because he is God? And then every incarnate being is God?

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Pericles

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 12:45:25 PM »

It implies Adam wasn't divine but he was created as a perfect human.

Pericles

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 12:48:34 PM »

Does it not then follow that Pericles's incarnation and humanity are possible only because he is God? And then every incarnate being is God?
Not at all, Pericles is not a divine incarnation.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2013, 12:51:34 PM »

Why do you say I am confused when I have spoken no proposition?  Huh I simply made an inference from what Pericles said.

Is this private? Oh, I can't use my chocolate cake with chocolate icing and creme filing snacks. So, we'll repeat something from yesterday:

?SYNTAX ERROR

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2013, 12:54:18 PM »

Not at all, Pericles is not a divine incarnation.

Are you talking about yourself in the third person or about another Pericles perhaps that most famous one whose memory [redacted]?

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 12:55:12 PM »

It implies you don't understand much of Orthodox anthropology.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2013, 04:01:17 PM »

I'll be honest, I feel I'm the most confused in this thread.  Huh

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
thethinker

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2013, 07:47:25 PM »

Pericles,

First you said this:

Christs humanity is not exclusive because he is also divine, his humanity was perfect humanity because it was united in his divinity.

Then I replied saying:

But now you say this:

If Christ was a perfect human because His humanity was joined to His divinity, then Adam could NOT have been created a perfect human. If he was created perfect, then he was created divine.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 07:48:24 PM by thethinker » Logged
Pericles

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2013, 08:01:13 PM »

If Christ was a perfect human because His humanity was joined to His divinity, then Adam could NOT have been created a perfect human. If he was created perfect, then he was created divine.
Yeah ok I'm being imprecise. Christ's humanity is not exclusive but united with his divinity and therefore perfect on that account. Man was created perfect and exclusively human.
Does that clarify it?

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 03:21:41 AM »

Man was created perfect
No.

Man was created unfallen.

Pericles

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 03:44:25 AM »

No.
Man was created unfallen.
I've just checked a few facts, first I was using a faulty definition of perfect and was of the understanding that Orthodoxy taught that man was created perfect. Now I know this is not the case, I withdraw my statements that man was created perfect. It was in any case not a part of my OP and was becoming an obstacle to defending it.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 04:07:45 AM by Pericles » Logged

thethinker

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 12:19:59 PM »

Yeah ok I'm being imprecise. Christ's humanity is not exclusive but united with his divinity and therefore perfect on that account. Man was created perfect and exclusively human.
Does that clarify it?

Adam was NOT created perfect because he was was created peccable. He was created upright, and fell NOT from perfection but from uprightness.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 12:27:15 PM »

Adam was NOT created perfect because he was was created peccable.
No, mankind only acquired a predisposition toward sin, against good, after the Fall. The first sin was freely chosen.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2013, 05:46:47 PM »

Adam was NOT created perfect because he was was created peccable.
No, mankind only acquired a predisposition toward sin, against good, after the Fall. The first sin was freely chosen.

In any case, thethinker has a problem with the logical relation formed by because.

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2013, 06:40:06 PM »

If it is a sin to be peccish, then why do we fast?

thethinker

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2013, 07:55:51 PM »

Perfect: Without fault or defect (Merriam-Webster's)

Adam was created from dust. Paul attributes "weakness" to dust BEFORE the fall (1 Corinthians 15:42-45).  Weakness is defect. Therefore, Adam was NOT created perfect because he was created from dust.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2013, 07:58:16 PM »

Adam was created from dust. Paul attributes "weakness" to dust BEFORE the fall (1 Corinthians 15:42-45).  Weakness is defect. Therefore, Adam was NOT created perfect because he was created from dust.

Merriam-Webster is not Biblical, I'm going to need you to give me a biblical definition of perfect please Wink
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 07:58:29 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2013, 08:34:53 PM »

Adam was created from dust. Paul attributes "weakness" to dust BEFORE the fall (1 Corinthians 15:42-45).  Weakness is defect. Therefore, Adam was NOT created perfect because he was created from dust.

Still don't have that because thing down? If you are ESL, I understand and will gladly help you.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2013, 11:51:51 PM »

Given that Christ is fully God, in that his divinity is absolute. The essential requirement of any religion that claims to be Christian, as religions that deny it are not Christian but a religion that denies Christ's humanity is still Christian

Amen.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2013, 11:55:26 PM »

I don't think so. You have not confused the two natures together, nor confused one for the other, nor confused one without the other. You're set.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2013, 12:56:16 AM »

Isn't there a risk of overstating the affects of divinity on humanity?  The essential take over of human nature by divinity to such a degree that it would lead to a nullification of the human nature in the process. This wouldn't go well with the known phrases that we hold to. Such as fully human and full divine that we always hear.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2013, 01:16:22 AM »

laugh

I don't think so. You have not confused the two natures together, nor confused one for the other, nor confused one without the other. You're set.

xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2013, 02:20:06 AM »

Indeed; Docetism was one of the earliest heresies the Church rejected, in the pages of the NT itself.

"Many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh, have gone out into the world. Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist." -2 Jn 1:7
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 02:23:41 AM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
thethinker

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2013, 09:41:27 AM »

Adam was created from dust. Paul attributes "weakness" to dust BEFORE the fall (1 Corinthians 15:42-45).  Weakness is defect. Therefore, Adam was NOT created perfect because he was created from dust.

Merriam-Webster is not Biblical, I'm going to need you to give me a biblical definition of perfect please Wink

Is what Paul said biblical? He said that the first man was from dust and that the second man was from heaven. Therefore, the first man could not have been created perfect.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: