OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 05:06:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: visiting a monastery??  (Read 1539 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2013, 07:54:44 PM »

It destroys, kills and pollutes your body which is a temple for the Holy Spirit.

So is McDonalds sinful too?

I had a feeling you'd say that, Lord have mercy and destroy that demon of pride! Again, you treat a monastery ground like a Church. You don't smoke in Church so don't smoke on monastery grounds. You go to get away from the sins and passions of the world to help cure your sickness.

I disagree with your views on smoking in general (I won’t get into the details of why), but I agree you shouldn't smoke on the monastery grounds or in church, especially if asked or if it is accepted as the general rule.  I do remember in the past monks with pipes clinched in their teeth.  Roman Catholic perhaps?

Orthodox monks, at least in the past, were allowed to use tobacco, though it wasn't necessarily seen as a good thing. In The Arena of St. Ignatius Brianchaninov I remember this being mentioned.

Joe: 'Is it creepy for a 35 year old guy to date a 19 year old girl?'
Desiree: 'Not if she's the one to push for the relationship, babe.'
Joe: 'But...'
Desiree: 'You'll shut up if you're smart.'
Joe: 'Ok.'
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2013, 10:35:41 PM »

It destroys, kills and pollutes your body which is a temple for the Holy Spirit.

So is McDonalds sinful too?

It's lenten. There is no real meat in its stuff.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2013, 10:56:26 PM »

You don't smoke in Church so don't smoke on monastery grounds.

You don't go to the bathroom in Church so don't go to the bathroom on monastery grounds.

Church's have bathrooms!!!

Not traditionally they don't, I don't think. I'm sure building codes in America and elsewhere insist on it though, at least in theory.

True restrooms were not in the church. Yes building codes most likely insist on it.  My family's parish doesn't have restrooms built into it they are up in the hall, which is not attached to the church. 

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2013, 10:59:57 PM »

You don't go to the bathroom in Church so don't go to the bathroom on monastery grounds.

Not traditionally they don't, I don't think. I'm sure building codes in America and elsewhere insist on it though, at least in theory.

True restrooms were not in the church. Yes building codes most likely insist on it.  My family's parish doesn't have restrooms built into it they are up in the hall, which is not attached to the church. 
Our parish has no restroom that I know of, but the building beside it does.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2013, 04:11:41 AM »

Not traditionally they don't, I don't think.

IIRC I haven't seen batrooms in any Finnish churches.
AustralianDiaspora

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2013, 11:58:51 AM »

Because you need to treat the entire monastery grounds as if it is a Church. You don't wear jeans in Church so don't do it on the monastery.

I always wear jeans in church too if I'm not serving.

You go to a Protestant church?
So many people at my church wear jeans it's bizarre. It seems to be mostly the Westerners though. I was taught to always wear nice (modest) clothes to church as a sign of respect to the Saints, and that included always wearing a skirt or a dress. This doesn't seem to be the common practice among converts though. I think casual wear is acceptable but faded tattered jeans? I don't understand. And men look so handsome in suits!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 12:01:49 PM by AustralianDiaspora » Logged

I can no longer cope with the misogynism, bigotry, homophobia and racism here and I have given up this forum. Lord have mercy.
AustralianDiaspora

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2013, 12:02:33 PM »

But do you have 3+ hour long Liturgy?  Cheesy

I can no longer cope with the misogynism, bigotry, homophobia and racism here and I have given up this forum. Lord have mercy.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2013, 12:34:07 PM »

But do you have 3+ hour long Liturgy?  Cheesy

Ha! Normay sunday liturgy takes about 1,5 or 2 hours since Finns follow the Slavic practice of not celebrating Matins before sunday liturgies. Of course festal services can take more than that. Fortunately parish halls do have toilets. angel
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 12:36:38 PM by Alpo » Logged
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: