Author Topic: Titles of RC and EO hierarchs  (Read 2899 times)

Offline Stavro

• OC.net guru
Titles of RC and EO hierarchs
« on: January 11, 2005, 04:52:47 AM »
Thought that this forum would be the best place to post this question:

How do Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholics address their hierarchs ( Pope [RC], Patriarchs, Metropolitans, Bishops, Priests) and what are their official titles ?

Thanks in advance. 
In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
Re: Titles of RC and EO hierarchs
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 07:02:29 AM »
RC: The Pope is adressed "Your Holiness", Bishops "Your Excellency" Priests "Father". In the US "Monsignor" is only used for priests who hold that title; in some parts of Europe Monsignor is also used for bishops, cardinals and abbots. In the US RC priests and bishops are frequently adressed as "Tim" or "Ricky" etc w/o any honorific what so ever.

link for Orthodox titles:
http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/clergy_etiquette.aspx
Proverbs 22:7

Online Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 11:26:52 AM »
The titles of my bishops are given on this page. Also, in addition to the good link Crucifer gave, this one (written by Bp. Tikhon of the OCA) might also be helpful.

Online Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • "I pledge allegiance to the flag..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 01:09:57 PM »
In the US RC priests and bishops are frequently adressed as "Tim" or "Ricky" etc w/o any honorific what so ever.

Wow, I have never seen that.  It was always "Fr. Tim" or "Fr. Ricky" here...
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Bartholomew, 270th Archbishop of Constantinople-New Rome and Ecumenical Patriarch, is spiritual leader to 300 million Orthodox Christians throughout the world.

Offline Donna Rose

• High Elder
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 01:30:19 PM »
In the US RC priests and bishops are frequently adressed as "Tim" or "Ricky" etc w/o any honorific what so ever.

yep, i've seen this, not in my own parish growing up, but among my RC friends at school who talk of their priests back home.
hmmmm...

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 02:12:26 PM »

Wow, I have never seen that. It was always "Fr. Tim" or "Fr. Ricky" here...

I can vouch that what Crucifer writes is true.
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Online Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • "I pledge allegiance to the flag..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 03:13:29 PM »
LOL, that's ridiculous! 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Bartholomew, 270th Archbishop of Constantinople-New Rome and Ecumenical Patriarch, is spiritual leader to 300 million Orthodox Christians throughout the world.

Offline Jennifer

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 03:23:13 PM »
Frequently?  Isn't that a bit strong?  I've been a Roman Catholic all of my life (until recently) and have lived in several different dioceses (liberal to conservative) and never heard priests referred to without the honorofic title at all, let alone "frequently." 

Even at the most liberal, whacko parish I've ever attended, the priest was called "Fr."   

Online Tony

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 04:03:23 PM »
This is true in my experience as well. Most RC priests I have known wanted to be addressed as Fr. "last name". A few would even get offended if you called them Father Tom or Father Bob and not by their last name.

Frequently? Isn't that a bit strong? I've been a Roman Catholic all of my life (until recently) and have lived in several different dioceses (liberal to conservative) and never heard priests referred to without the honorofic title at all, let alone "frequently."

Even at the most liberal, whacko parish I've ever attended, the priest was called "Fr."

Offline Stavro

• OC.net guru
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 09:18:37 PM »
Thanks for all who responded. Really appreciated.
In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 09:30:30 PM »
Frequently? Isn't that a bit strong? I've been a Roman Catholic all of my life (until recently) and have lived in several different dioceses (liberal to conservative) and never heard priests referred to without the honorofic title at all, let alone "frequently."

Come to North Carolina :) there you will see what I am talking about. It's not pervasive but it is there.

Anastasios
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 09:30:57 PM by Anastasios »
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.